Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Cbear posted:

Haha Wylliamt I'm sorry I'm such a newbie. I'm an iksar and have no idea how to make what you're saying look normal to me. Never been on a RP server. Is there a password I can get to the general channel or something?

Oh yeah the language thing is annoying on FV. The common language is Elvish. You just need someone to teach you by spamming you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

MrTheDevious posted:

Especially since apparently everything possible is already camped :(

FV "everything's camped" perception is really gated. When I was playing during VoA the T2-T4 zones for both HoT and VoA were fine. Sometimes we would have another group around, but we literally never had any real competition for what we wanted to do. However...the "everythings camped" mentallity comes from 85 and below, where common leveling spots like the loping plains gators, the farm in SoF, headshot spots like feerott, the hole, and other powerlevel spots under 75 are pretty crowded. Once we started doing stuff like city of bronze and the conch shell dungeon, it was fine. We focused mainly on achievement hunting, questing, and group progression, and never had any problems. meanwhile I heard day after day in general chat, "bawwww a ranger won't give me a turn headshotting lizards!!".

The rule of thumb is if its a popular headshot or swarm spot, it probably sucks. I can't imagine that being terribly different on other servers though. These days it seems like most SKs just do their swarming in instanced zones anyway.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Does anyone have the password for the goon channel?

Does anyone use the goon channel?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sancho posted:

People seem to like to swarm zones. Maybe you can try that! It's actually pretty fun pulling all of Chardok or BoT or some other old world zone. I can definitely see the appeal in how you play, but you have to admit raiding takes a fair amount of uninterrupted time.

Yeah, Mrthedevious, you should try to learn how to swarm.

Side note, SOE is having a triple station cash sale Friday the 21st from what I understand. It's a drat shame we can't get gold subs for it any more..but it does have other uses.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ninkobei posted:

Side note, SOE is having a triple station cash sale Friday the 21st from what I understand. It's a drat shame we can't get gold subs for it any more..but it does have other uses.

That was the best use by far. The other uses are trivial compared to that, God drat it Sony.

And the goon password for the channel is fygm(gently caress you got mine).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Ninkobei posted:

I know, right? I almost replied to him with a snarky rear end in a top hat comment, but then I just decided it was :shobon: that he didn't know who I am hahaha.

Not being able to sub via plat/SC any longer is why I moved to Test and won't really play anywhere else. GG Sony.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrTheDevious posted:

I know, right? I almost replied to him with a snarky rear end in a top hat comment, but then I just decided it was :shobon: that he didn't know who I am hahaha.

Not being able to sub via plat/SC any longer is why I moved to Test and won't really play anywhere else. GG Sony.

Well, triple station cash, 15 dollar walmart card..plus 500 bonus sc, so 60,000 sc, spend 45 dollars and you have 180ksc, we can see why they figured that was a really bad idea.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Yeah for sure, I'm just sad about it and not paying 60 a month to play :(

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

that he didn't know who I am hahaha.

You're right! You seem to find that really funny or something though. Anyhow different strokes for different folks. Some people like to gently caress around in old content and some people like to build up serious EQ cred raiding. I'm someone who likes to do the former and am looking for like-minded people to play with.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I figured out that my 24-slot heirloom bag sure would be nice to have 10 of, so I'm about to /testcopy my main chars over again and again to stock up. /testcopy, stick heirloom in shared bank on Test, repeat. I would have given it to an alt and copied him, but since my Live accounts are Silver and thus have no shared bank, there seems to be no way to get heirlooms onto another character on the same account. Alas, you can only /testcopy a char every 7½ hours, so it'll be a day or two of furious copying until I'm really ready. It feels a bit like cheating, but hey, it's not like platinum and big bags fight mobs for you or give XP, so it's okay.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a level 10 Froglok wizard named Bizrip on Luclin now if anyone wants to do soemthing.

I started out by skipping the tutorial and going to the commonlands, but the mobs there give a tiny fraction of the experience of those found in Crescent Reach. I'm kind of losing heart for the whole "level up in old-world zones" when it looks like it's going to take at least twice as long as following the newer leveling path.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a level 10 Froglok wizard named Bizrip on Luclin now if anyone wants to do soemthing.

I started out by skipping the tutorial and going to the commonlands, but the mobs there give a tiny fraction of the experience of those found in Crescent Reach. I'm kind of losing heart for the whole "level up in old-world zones" when it looks like it's going to take at least twice as long as following the newer leveling path.

I just started playing a week ago and hit 40 tonight. My name is Brio in game and I have a real life friend who just started up tonight.

Stick to the hotzones and you'll level like a rocket fueled by hate.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rainbow_Horse posted:

you'll level like a rocket fueled by hate.

You sir are a linguistic genius, and I am stealing the gently caress out of that.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Pon de Bundy posted:

Well, triple station cash, 15 dollar walmart card..plus 500 bonus sc, so 60,000 sc, spend 45 dollars and you have 180ksc, we can see why they figured that was a really bad idea.

You know 2000 x 3 is 6000, not 60,000, right?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

It is possible, although it does take a bit longer, but not so bad. I did it recently, and my path was something like:

1-10: Steamfont (endless mobs in a tight level range)
10-20: I forgot - Crushbone perhaps?
20-30: Mistmoore
30-40: Overthere
40-50: Karnor's
50-high 50's: Sebilis

Not totally old school as I went to Kunark, but let's face it: The really old world was absurdly unoptimized for levelling. I had a lot of fun this way and it took very little time levelling a duo of Ranger+Magician with tank+healer merc.

I'm pretty sure that CR mobs don't give particularly more XP than old world mobs, at most maybe 50% more due to a zone experience modifier (ZEM), although I've read no evidence of such. Give some of the old zones a try, and look into quad kiting at lvl 27 when you get the AoE snare. :)

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

For old world leveling I like these zones:

1-10: almost anywhere it's real easy.
10-~20: Kurn's tower.
~20-25: Unrest
25-35: Lower Guk
35-45: Dulak Harbor
45-55: Old Sebilis
55-65: Grieg's End
65+: Catch a ride with a headshotter or swarmer until lvl 100.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
When I said "Old World", I actually meant before any expansions, including Kunark, but I am not that committed to the idea any more. I miss the strategy and dynamics of wizard nuking at mid-levels, and I also miss the gently caress out of AoE kiting - I plan to do me some raptors when I get high enough in level. I still laugh my rear end off that the dwarves in BB that I used to AoE kite on my druid are now no longer targetable.

By the way, what is the name of that instant-click staff that wizards get with a small resist debuff? I can't quite remember the name despite questing for it with a wizard friend back in PoP, but an instant-click is great for pulling in some situations.

Also, just to embarrass myself... my druid had been camping Phinigel in Kedge for the last day or two because I wanted him to get a staff for the wizard 1.0. Last night, I killed Phinigel for the 3rd or 4th time in a row (I had already gotten a backbone for the bard epic in a previous encounter) and he dropped both the wizard and mage epic bit... but I couldn't loot them because I already had one of each in the bank. Months ago I was helping a fellow goon with his bard 1.0 and I killed Phinigel numerous times to get a backbone, so I must have picked up those staves while doing so, banked them, and forgotten them. Sadly, because of Phinigel's quick despawn time, both rotted. Still sad about that - I'm sure that someone, somewhere could have used them.

Edit: Crushbone sounds fun, but is the revamp over? I actually sponged exp there with my druid while grouping with a bunch of 95's during the change, but if it's back to normal that actually sounds like a good option.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pilsner posted:

I'm pretty sure that CR mobs don't give particularly more XP than old world mobs, at most maybe 50% more due to a zone experience modifier (ZEM), although I've read no evidence of such. Give some of the old zones a try, and look into quad kiting at lvl 27 when you get the AoE snare. :)

Crescent Reach is one of the current hot zones, worked pretty well for me while boxing up.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, what is the name of that instant-click staff that wizards get with a small resist debuff? I can't quite remember the name despite questing for it with a wizard friend back in PoP, but an instant-click is great for pulling in some situations.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=459

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
What are the bags to get right now?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Cbear posted:

What are the bags to get right now?

Mm, the 24 slot trader bag is only 1000 SC, compared to 2500 for regular bags. It's pretty useful. Though there could always be a sale in the future..its hard to predict.

If you're referring to non-SC bags, the Tailored Legendary backpacks are the best. They'll cost around 4k plat to do the combine if I remember correctly. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=92354

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Ninkobei posted:

If you're referring to non-SC bags, the Tailored Legendary backpacks are the best. They'll cost around 4k plat to do the combine if I remember correctly. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=92354

There are Tailored Flawless ones now that expand to 18 slot 100%WR.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

r3v3n4nt posted:

You know 2000 x 3 is 6000, not 60,000, right?

Crap, I messed up the numbers. It's 100 points for every dollar, I just messed up the decimals. The point still stands that triple SC and buying sub time was hilarious.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

Crap, I messed up the numbers. It's 100 points for every dollar, I just messed up the decimals. The point still stands that triple SC and buying sub time was hilarious.

It was hilarious sure. But most people run 3+ characters..so one person would still be paying $15/mo for their subscriptions. Once again SoE's greed costs them money and costs their game followers. No one in their right mind would dish out $45/mo for a decade old videogame.

They should just implement a multi-box single account subscription: You can log in as many characters as you want from the same account and pay $20/month for it.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

These are usually like 4k but they only hold tradeskill stuff. Still, most of the crap you pick up is tradeskill stuff.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=104079

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ninkobei posted:

It was hilarious sure. But most people run 3+ characters..so one person would still be paying $15/mo for their subscriptions. Once again SoE's greed costs them money and costs their game followers. No one in their right mind would dish out $45/mo for a decade old videogame.

They should just implement a multi-box single account subscription: You can log in as many characters as you want from the same account and pay $20/month for it.

Not that that would ever happen, but I would go for that big time. The only problem is that my 3 higher-level characters are on separate accounts now, but its still a great idea that will never happen. I am sure that, with the prevalence of boxing these days, there are plenty of people paying for 2 standard gold accounts at about $30 per month, and that is a 50% profit improvement already.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Never say never. A lot of us never thought EQ would last this long, or reach level 100, but here we are. Sony isn't completely retarded, they are just very very slow. We might get a box plan in 2014!

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

You sir are a linguistic genius, and I am stealing the gently caress out of that.

I was thinking about the V2 when I wrote it :hitler:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pon de Bundy posted:

Never say never. A lot of us never thought EQ would last this long, or reach level 100, but here we are. Sony isn't completely retarded, they are just very very slow. We might get a box plan in 2014!

Given how in the past what, year or two, we've gotten the abilities to do amazing things like CLICK ITEMS FROM BAGS, COOLDOWN TIMERS, and AUCTIONS WITHOUT BEING ONLINE the possibilities are endless!

;-)

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

xZAOx posted:

Given how in the past what, year or two, we've gotten the abilities to do amazing things like CLICK ITEMS FROM BAGS, COOLDOWN TIMERS, and AUCTIONS WITHOUT BEING ONLINE the possibilities are endless!

Everquest: Kicking and screaming into the 21st century

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Don't forget BAGS WITH MORE THAN TEN SLOTS!!!

Not a year old, but still amazing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So what sort of Hero's Forge ornaments should I be on the lookout for? I saw a dude saying WTB the black cloth robe ornament, and noticed that I picked one up later. Threw it up on my bazaar alt for 45k, and it wound up selling :getin:

Aside from cloth robe ornaments is there anything super valuable that I might be finding as a mid-60s newbie?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Going to stick with my Monk and Shaman box and add a Ranger on a third account. It sounds crazy, but I love shooting arrows even if it isn't optimal, and tracking friggin' rules. I might even fourbox, adding a Wizard. ISboxer (and my new CPU), time to show your power. :)

jetz0r posted:

Don't forget BAGS WITH MORE THAN TEN SLOTS!!!

Not a year old, but still amazing.
And bags within bags. :monocle:

I also saw something useful on the loading screen tip btw - right-click an empty spell gem, and you get a categorized pop-out menu of possible spells to scribe, rather than having to go through the spellbook. Don't forget to use spellsets either (right-click the icon at the bottom of the spell bar).

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Are you still loving about on AB Pilsner? Im having a blast dualboxing my way up the levels,found a nice family type guild to group etc.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pilsner posted:

Going to stick with my Monk and Shaman box and add a Ranger on a third account. It sounds crazy, but I love shooting arrows even if it isn't optimal, and tracking friggin' rules. I might even fourbox, adding a Wizard. ISboxer (and my new CPU), time to show your power. :)

And bags within bags. :monocle:

I also saw something useful on the loading screen tip btw - right-click an empty spell gem, and you get a categorized pop-out menu of possible spells to scribe, rather than having to go through the spellbook. Don't forget to use spellsets either (right-click the icon at the bottom of the spell bar).

I've been using ISBoxer, and hope you have more than 4 gigs of ram if you want to step up from 2- to 3-boxing. When I added the third box it started hitting the page file nonstop, and really destroyed performance / swapping to firefox, etc. A cheap upgrade to 8 GB fixed everything.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Catullus posted:

Are you still loving about on AB Pilsner? Im having a blast dualboxing my way up the levels,found a nice family type guild to group etc.
Nah, I moved to Luclin in Spring 2012, but now I'm on Test. I would technically prefer AB for its low ping, but $15 per account vs. free pursuaded me. I just did the /testbuff thing on a new character, and not only do you ding lvl 25, get spells and gear, but all your skills (non-tradeskills) also get boosted to 130 skill, which basically saves you 10-20 hours of macroing or button spamming to get stuff like Divination and Tracking up. Not bad, and while it feels like cheating, I think I earned it by levelling another ranger to lvl 81 on Luclin, on a different account!

Devor posted:

I've been using ISBoxer, and hope you have more than 4 gigs of ram if you want to step up from 2- to 3-boxing. When I added the third box it started hitting the page file nonstop, and really destroyed performance / swapping to firefox, etc. A cheap upgrade to 8 GB fixed everything.
Aye, I just upgraded to a brand new Intel i5 CPU with 8GB RAM. It was a *huge* upgrade from my old Core 2 Duo, which struggled with 3 EQ instances (I also had to upgrade my RAM back then). With this new computer, the CPU doesn't even hit 50% with 3 EQ's open. Haven't tried 4 yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine, even in 1920x1200.

For such an old rear end engine like EQ, I think investing in the CPU - along with or rather than - a graphics card gives more bang for the buck.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Got my bards 1.5 done in a couple hours yesterday in part thanks to riverrs giving me the bloods and stuff for the imbued diamonds. Now I want to do 2.0. Only been to anguish once with my box crew, ran out of time after beating the first boss but remembered you needed to do 2 for a globe. Haven't done coa since it was end game stuff so I was wondering how far I can get boxed since I remember some stuff like jelvan used to take multiple groups. Is omm doable?

Speaking of boxing old raids about how far could I possibly get with my team? It's currently 91/2k aa bard, 90/2.2k shaman, 91/2.5 mage and 76/10aa (haha) druid. [ I've done potime, would like to do all of God and coa then more.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

BJA posted:

Got my bards 1.5 done in a couple hours yesterday in part thanks to riverrs giving me the bloods and stuff for the imbued diamonds. Now I want to do 2.0. Only been to anguish once with my box crew, ran out of time after beating the first boss but remembered you needed to do 2 for a globe. Haven't done coa since it was end game stuff so I was wondering how far I can get boxed since I remember some stuff like jelvan used to take multiple groups. Is omm doable?

Speaking of boxing old raids about how far could I possibly get with my team? It's currently 91/2k aa bard, 90/2.2k shaman, 91/2.5 mage and 76/10aa (haha) druid. [ I've done potime, would like to do all of God and coa then more.

I have no idea on the CoA stuff, but I also need to get the 2.0 for Riverrs. Let me know how it goes, I'd be willing to help out if possible.

I'm also kind of interested in doing some of the instanced old raids as a box crew. I tried PoTime a while ago and got spanked pretty handily after I realized I couldn't bring mercs in. Anyone have suggestions for another class to add to my crew (85 rogue, 85 bard, +/- 73 shaman or ranger) so this could be feasible? I was thinking about a tank class and leveling the shaman up, but honestly I have no idea.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

My SK kills a bunch of old raid instances by turning on auto-atk and maybe hitting epic.

Basically any raid up till PoR is trivial for a solo SK. Monks are in a similar position thanks to 30s mend. Same for paladins and maybe rangers. Good amount of self healing, melee damage and the ability to get hit in the face for 30 minutes are the keys to killing old raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jetz0r posted:

My SK kills a bunch of old raid instances by turning on auto-atk and maybe hitting epic.

Basically any raid up till PoR is trivial for a solo SK. Monks are in a similar position thanks to 30s mend. Same for paladins and maybe rangers. Good amount of self healing, melee damage and the ability to get hit in the face for 30 minutes are the keys to killing old raids.

Care to name some specific examples? I have an 80 SK with 2.0 and all of the mitigation/avoidance AA's, so I might want to have a go.