Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yes even if you "kill" the second one before he turns big, he's back at full health in the second phase. So - it is also a waste to attack more than one of the two in the first phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is that thing anyway? You'd think it'd be the sunbro version of a miracle resonance, but actually it's a doorbell for creepy gargoyle monsters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Groen posted:

Anyone know if you can kill O&S simultaneously ?

There is a small window before the animation plays when you kill one of them.
But it might just play the powerup sequence anyway if you manage to kill the other one in that small window.

You can drain both of their health bars all the way but it'll still proceed to the second part of the fight with whichever you killed last like it didn't happen.

EDIT: Yeah, I never really understood the ring of light thing either. It seems like a dev cop-out to me, like they were going "how the hell do we have the player get to Anor Londo from here if the door is blocked off?" and someone just went "...more gargoyles?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I just got the game. Man, this is a really awful port. I installed the mods in the op and it still doesn't feel right. I fought that big demon thing in the tutorial area and killed it but I basically just stood infront of it and spammed my attack to kill it before it killed me. Whenever I tried to dodge it or be ~skillful~ the awful controls seemed to get the best of me

Should I even bother with this game if I don't have a controller?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You can drain both of their health bars all the way but it'll still proceed to the second part of the fight with whichever you killed last like it didn't happen.

EDIT: Yeah, I never really understood the ring of light thing either. It seems like a dev cop-out to me, like they were going "how the hell do we have the player get to Anor Londo from here if the door is blocked off?" and someone just went "...more gargoyles?"

Gargoyle's are fine, but it doesn't make sense why the activator is a ring of light, other than that it's obvious. It should have been something like a gargoyle statue in front of the door that you press the button in front of.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zzulu posted:

Well I just got the game. Man, this is a really awful port. I installed the mods in the op and it still doesn't feel right. I fought that big demon thing in the tutorial area and killed it but I basically just stood infront of it and spammed my attack to kill it before it killed me. Whenever I tried to dodge it or be ~skillful~ the awful controls seemed to get the best of me

No. I play with this and it owns: http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-Comput...isby+controller

Also great for PSX emulation. Really solid for a great price.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Uh, if you're using the mouse fix there shouldn't really be a huge issue. It's better with a controller though. And after you install DSFix I don't think the port is really that bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Curious, what class did you start as?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Zzulu posted:

So, with the mods installed, what exactly doesn't feel right? Because either way, outside of apparently poor mouse controls the PC version is the definitive version without mods, let alone with them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Also, you can just about get away with wildly flailing at the tutorial boss, but don't expect that to work anytime else, and blaming getting hit on the controls will just get you laughed at.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

UnholyCow posted:

So my Dark Souls install just decided to completely stop working. I've done all of the GFWL updates, gotten rid of dsfix, and just now finally reinstalled Dark Souls itself but it still crashes on launch while referencing fmodex.dll in the crash report.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on since this was working prior to just starting the game up today.

Anyone else had this happen? Searching about fmodex.dll just brings me to a bunch of crack sites which is not helpful at all because I own this on Steam. Bummed that I can't get my Dark Souls on. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There are a lot of people who tried to play the game on consoles and complained about the controls after they ended up hating the game though and I've always kind of wondered what the gently caress they were talking about.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally got around to getting this game after I completed all the achievements on the Xbox version. I just got up to the DLC content, and I have to say that they did a great job on the Guardian. Probably one of my favorite bosses so far. Any tips for dealing with the giant stone guardians, though?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mr E posted:

Any tips for dealing with the giant stone guardians, though?

Try dashing through

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mr E posted:

Any tips for dealing with the giant stone guardians, though?

I played it reaaaaally safe. Double back-rolled out at the very first hint of an earth pound or whatever. And I was fat the whole game so it's probably easier with a lightweight character.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
You can dodge to the side of every attack they do. Dodge against their attack, so that you dodge into the swing and not away from it. You will dodge it 100% of the time and have bonus time to butt-slash when they do the giant overhead attack.

Just don't kite more than one, and kill all smallfries before taking on one of them so you aren't distracted or stunlocked

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

I played it reaaaaally safe. Double back-rolled out at the very first hint of an earth pound or whatever. And I was fat the whole game so it's probably easier with a lightweight character.

I played through last time with a Dex/Int character, so I'm playing a fatty this time, and it's quite fun. I finally got past those guys and activated the elevator, so looks like playing it safe was the way to go. Still, I found it easiest to kill the Guardian by stripping down to nothing just so I could dodge his lightning and attacks.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

You can dodge to the side of every attack they do.

Yeah, but you should dodge between their legs, because its awesomer.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I have a question about that first area, is it possible to run through the Royal Wood in your first go along the wall, and then drop down through the hole where the shortcut is? It doesn't look like that far of a drop, it seems like you could easily survive normally and definitely survive with fall control

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not only is it awesomer, getting bonked on the head with the hilt of their weapon should you not quite make it does way less damage than getting hit by the part that's meant for slashing things.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I have a question about that first area, is it possible to run through the Royal Wood in your first go along the wall, and then drop down through the hole where the shortcut is? It doesn't look like that far of a drop, it seems like you could easily survive normally and definitely survive with fall control

I've never tried it with Fall Control but I think I remember it killing me by doing it the normal way.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Before I go become Darkwraith, I figured it was worth joining the Chaos Servants just to get their pyromancy skills. Is Chaos Storm and the Izalith shortcut worth 30 humanity?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

If you want the Sunlight Maggot help early/to play dress-up, like lava in your storms, and think Solaire is cool and should link the fires, then yes

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There are a lot of people who tried to play the game on consoles and complained about the controls after they ended up hating the game though and I've always kind of wondered what the gently caress they were talking about.

I dunno, I don't think it's that hard to see why someone wouldn't be a fan of the controls. RB/LB/R1/L1 are your main defend/attack buttons, and running is stuck on B so that you can't run and simultaneously be looking around unless you contort your hand into an awkward claw.

I bet most people that hated the controls though actually hated the slow, deliberate gameplay rather than the actual control scheme. The fact that you have to think about every button press because every action has a specific animation that you can't interrupt and could get you killed isn't everyone's cup of tea. I know a couple of people who like games but never got into DS because the slow, brutal combat just didn't appeal to them.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Before I go become Darkwraith, I figured it was worth joining the Chaos Servants just to get their pyromancy skills. Is Chaos Storm and the Izalith shortcut worth 30 humanity?

Yeah, definitely. Chaos Storm is pretty good when used intelligently and Izalith sucks, so the least amount of time spent there, the better.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Snoop Rocket posted:

Yeah, definitely. Chaos Storm is pretty good when used intelligently and Izalith sucks, so the least amount of time spent there, the better.

I thought chaos storm was bugged to not scale with humanity. Was that patched, or is there something else to make it worthwhile? As I see it now, it's just a regular firestorm that takes two attunement slots.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It leaves lava pools that will do additional damage.

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007

Groen posted:

Anyone know if you can kill O&S simultaneously ?

There is a small window before the animation plays when you kill one of them.
But it might just play the powerup sequence anyway if you manage to kill the other one in that small window.

No. I posted about this some pages back. Me and Solaire killed O&S at the exact same time, but one of them was resurrected. :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I tried that with Fall Control and no dice. There's a kill brush there or something

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

If you aren't a Darkwraith yet, you don't have access to the shortcut because you haven't placed the Lordvessel, right?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

From what I read, when you get 2+ in the covenant the shortcut opens up no matter where you are, and stays open the whole game even if you leave the covenant. Is this wrong?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a further drop than you're giving it credit for. Those elevators move pretty fast.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

From what I read, when you get 2+ in the covenant the shortcut opens up no matter where you are, and stays open the whole game even if you leave the covenant. Is this wrong?

This is wrong. You have to be +2 in the covenant and then go and physically open the door, but it stays open if you leave once it's open.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a further drop than you're giving it credit for. Those elevators move pretty fast.

I couldn't survive it.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
What if you used fall control?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

redmercer posted:

Try dashing through

Weakness: tears

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

GeckoMissingo posted:

What if you used fall control?

It only reduces damage on non lethal falls.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Uh, if you're using the mouse fix there shouldn't really be a huge issue. It's better with a controller though. And after you install DSFix I don't think the port is really that bad.

Yeah, I played the console version through to Blighttown before I had to quit as the framerate drops hit the single digits. The PC version is far superior to the console, the DSFix and mouse fix are just customization options.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I've played 100+ hours now with KB+M and haven't had any issues, anything in particular that's getting to you about the controls?

What do you consider "~skillful~" methods that failed against the 1st boss?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
To be fair, even with a gamepad the implementation of the controls is by no means perfect. There are several baffling idiosyncrasies that will really screw you up during those tense concentrated moments. You can learn how to predict and work around them most of the time, but even after 150+ hours there is still the occasional surprise that gets me killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I thought chaos storm was bugged to not scale with humanity. Was that patched, or is there something else to make it worthwhile? As I see it now, it's just a regular firestorm that takes two attunement slots.
The initial attack of the chaos spells is identical to the normal versions, its the lava pools they leave behind that has damage that scales with humanity. I can't remember if it was actually bugged or not, but if it was, it would have been something they fixed back in 1.05 last year.

• Locked thread