Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

7" is a lot better for reading than 10". There can be PDFs that might benefit from the extra size or resolution, but I'd still go for the 7. There is also the option of using pdf tools to remove margins and such to improve reading on the 7.

For files that reflow (html, cbr, etc) 7 is the obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

low-key-taco posted:

7" is a lot better for reading than 10". There can be PDFs that might benefit from the extra size or resolution, but I'd still go for the 7. There is also the option of using pdf tools to remove margins and such to improve reading on the 7.

For files that reflow (html, cbr, etc) 7 is the obvious choice.
I think that's sort of a matter of opinion as I'd disagree with you 100% and way prefer a 10" with higher resolution and larger screen for reading anything. I assume you have an issue with the size or weight but I've tried both and find the extra screen size and resolution a way bigger plus than the slight weight increase is a negative.

Best thing is to try them both in person or, better yet, buy from somewhere you can return easily and try each for a week or two. "The obvious choice" depends on the person doing the choosing.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I've been loving my Nexus 10 since I got it. It's been great for just about anything I've done with it.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Looks like my N7 took a dump because it won't turn on anymore. The battery died and now when I plug in the charger, nothing happens. I've tried multiple chargers/cables and nothing comes up. Anyone have this problem before?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How long have you let it charge for? I have run into issues with phones / tablets where if it gets really drained it may take a little bit for it to turn on.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

How long have you let it charge for? I have run into issues with phones / tablets where if it gets really drained it may take a little bit for it to turn on.

I let it sit with the original charger plugged in for over an hour and nothing happened. I'm thinking I'll have to get it exchanged, I just got it this past Wednesday.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Are there any car mounts out there for the Nexus 7? Im thinking of using mine in my car, im not really looking for one that sticks to the window more something that would fit on the center console. Some ghetto fixes are just a TPU case with either suckers, magnets or velcro on the back. I dont really want to stick anything to the car itself so that when im not using the tablet as a sat nav or media player you would not be able to tell it was in there. Obviously need to be secure as I dont want to smash my tablet.

Also if I use a USB OTG cable can I also plug a charger in so I can use both at the same time? Would be nice if I could plug a charger into a hub of some sort and charge it whilst using an external SD card.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is on fire-sale in the UK at the moment, with major vendors offering big discounts combined with a cashback offer from Samsung.

Do these things have any redeeming qualities if I can get one for mega-cheap, or would I just be better off with a Nexus 7? Do they work well with custom ROMs, etc.?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

thorsilver posted:

So the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is on fire-sale in the UK at the moment, with major vendors offering big discounts combined with a cashback offer from Samsung.

Do these things have any redeeming qualities if I can get one for mega-cheap, or would I just be better off with a Nexus 7? Do they work well with custom ROMs, etc.?

Well, depends on how cheap you're talking, I guess. There's CM10.1 builds out for the Tab 2 already so if you plan to go that route it will be up to date for the time being.

However hardware wise the Tab 2 is essentially worse in every way. Screen isn't as high res and not as sharp, it's a dual-core instead of quad, and battery life is pretty average. But it does have a microSD slot, and it's made by Samsung so it might be hardier build-wise.

I'd personally go with the Nexus 7 unless the Tab 2 was like ~$50-70 or something, and at that point I'd just get both.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

thorsilver posted:

Just get a Nexus 7.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can I share a network connection from my Nexus 4 to Nexus 10 with bluetooth? Or is Wifi the only way to do it?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Can I share a network connection from my Nexus 4 to Nexus 10 with bluetooth? Or is Wifi the only way to do it?

I do it with my Nexus 4 and 7, so I don't see why you can't do it with a Nexus 10.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How exactly do I set it up? I turned on sharing on the Nexus 4, and I paired the devices, is there anything else I need to do?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

How exactly do I set it up? I turned on sharing on the Nexus 4, and I paired the devices, is there anything else I need to do?

Pair the devices. On the Nexus 4 turn on Internet connection sharing. On the Nexus 10 in blue tooth devices settings for the Nexus 4 connection, select use for Internet connection.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ahaha! That last little bit was the magic step, currently tablet posting via my phone's connection.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

rndm posted:

I let it sit with the original charger plugged in for over an hour and nothing happened. I'm thinking I'll have to get it exchanged, I just got it this past Wednesday.

I had the same problem a little while ago.

Hold the power button for 30 seconds. It will force it on. But make sure you have a charge on your battery.

I've not had any problems since.

Source: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/594627-nexus-7-dead-wont-charge.html

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

IT Guy posted:

I had the same problem a little while ago.

Hold the power button for 30 seconds. It will force it on. But make sure you have a charge on your battery.

I've not had any problems since.

Source: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/594627-nexus-7-dead-wont-charge.html

Yeah, I got this solution too when I called Google support yesterday. Thanks.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
All I wanted for Christmas was a Nexus 7, so I told family who wanted to know what I wanted to get me gift cards so I can buy one.. And, of course, they defaulted to Best Buy. However, I now know that Best Buy doesn't carry the loving Nexus 7. What are my options here? Is there anything they carry that's comparable, or should I just suck it up and buy it elsewhere without gift cards?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

TShields posted:

All I wanted for Christmas was a Nexus 7, so I told family who wanted to know what I wanted to get me gift cards so I can buy one.. And, of course, they defaulted to Best Buy. However, I now know that Best Buy doesn't carry the loving Nexus 7. What are my options here? Is there anything they carry that's comparable, or should I just suck it up and buy it elsewhere without gift cards?

You could always sell the gift cards and take the loss and use it to purchase it elsewhere.

Not sure if they carry anything comparable to the Nexus 7, just give a look at their tablet section on the website.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TShields posted:

Best Buy sells the 7" Kindle Fire HD and the 7" Galaxy Tab both of which are good although they are not stock Android and not quite as good as the N7. They also have some 8-10" tablets under 300 like the Iconia and Fire 8.9

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Bigsteve posted:

Are there any car mounts out there for the Nexus 7? Im thinking of using mine in my car, im not really looking for one that sticks to the window more something that would fit on the center console. Some ghetto fixes are just a TPU case with either suckers, magnets or velcro on the back. I dont really want to stick anything to the car itself so that when im not using the tablet as a sat nav or media player you would not be able to tell it was in there. Obviously need to be secure as I dont want to smash my tablet.

Also if I use a USB OTG cable can I also plug a charger in so I can use both at the same time? Would be nice if I could plug a charger into a hub of some sort and charge it whilst using an external SD card.

I'm shopping for a car mount as well. I'm considering buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-ST-TP01-Car-Holder-Mount/dp/B004VG6LDE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

TShields posted:

Since when doesn't Best Buy carry the Nexus 7? I know someone who bought one there recently, and I could have swore they still had one on display last week.

Edit: looking online it seems Best Buy only carries the N7 here in Canada? That's odd, why don't they carry it in the US?

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 17, 2012

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

TShields posted:

In spirit of the Christmas season I could potentially trade up to $200 of your BB gift cards for Lands End/Sears straight up. I have some corporate wellness program points I need to trade for gift cards by 12/31 and Lands End is an option. You can PM me if interested.

Konjuro posted:

Since when doesn't Best Buy carry the Nexus 7? I know someone who bought one there recently, and I could have swore they still had one on display last week.

Edit: looking online it seems Best Buy only carries the N7 here in Canada? That's odd, why don't they carry it in the US?

You can only buy it on their website through the Marketplace via Beach Camera for $50 over MSRP.

resident fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 17, 2012

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

resident posted:

In spirit of the Christmas season I could potentially trade up to $200 of your BB gift cards for Lands End/Sears straight up. I have some corporate wellness program points I need to trade for gift cards by 12/31 and Lands End is an option. You can PM me if interested.

If it comes to that, I'll absolutely take you up on it! I'll know something just after Christmas- I'm going to wait and see just how many cards I end up with. If I'm really lucky, some got me Visa gift cards instead. If the balance is more towards Visa, I may bite the bullet and go for it. I actually have a $50 Sears card I won a few months ago and haven't messed with, so that could work too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you mail the cards into Cardpool.com you can get something like 92% of their value in non-expiring Amazon funbucks. I use that site all the time and they're on the level.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

value in non-expiring Amazon funbucks.level.

You can just buy kindle gift cards at bestbuy and use them for anything on amazon.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You can just buy kindle gift cards at bestbuy and use them for anything on amazon.

Can you use gift cards to buy gift cards? I didn't think you could.. I know you can't use like like a WalMart gift card to buy a Visa gift card or something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TShields posted:

Can you use gift cards to buy gift cards? I didn't think you could.. I know you can't use like like a WalMart gift card to buy a Visa gift card or something.

You can use bestbuy giftcards to buy amazon/kindle gift cards.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
MySMS is now starting to charge for their Tablet app. $2 until the end of tomorrow, when it jumps to $4. Did anyone get it? Is it exactly like the previous version?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My mom has an Asus TF201, and she's having trouble viewing her American Express bill from their website (the full version since you can't view billing statements on their mobile site). They give you what looks like a link for a pdf, but the browser doesn't seem to know what to do with it. Some sort of indicator next to the link spins for a second or two, but the Android downloader doesn't kick in. Is their full site just incompatible with Android?

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

hooah posted:

My mom has an Asus TF201, and she's having trouble viewing her American Express bill from their website (the full version since you can't view billing statements on their mobile site). They give you what looks like a link for a pdf, but the browser doesn't seem to know what to do with it. Some sort of indicator next to the link spins for a second or two, but the Android downloader doesn't kick in. Is their full site just incompatible with Android?

Have you tried it in Chrome or Firefox or any other browser?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

woodhead posted:

Have you tried it in Chrome or Firefox or any other browser?

In Chrome it downloads a download.do file which Adobe doesn't know how to open.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

hooah posted:

There's an American Express app which I think lets you do pretty much anything you need with your account.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Those of you who wanted a Nexus 7 dock officially from ASUS, you can preorder it now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=899329&is=REG

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Those of you who wanted a Nexus 7 dock officially from ASUS, you can preorder it now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=899329&is=REG

Sweet. Wonder if you'll be able to mod it so it works with a case.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sweet only $40 for a piece of fuckin' molded plastic and $0.75 worth of connectors. What's up with ASUS' pricing strategy?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Sweet only $40 for a piece of fuckin' molded plastic and $0.75 worth of connectors. What's up with ASUS' pricing strategy?

Can we start banning people for complaining that things aren't priced at the cost of the materials?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RZA Encryption posted:

Can we start banning people for complaining that things aren't priced at the cost of the materials?

Generic Chinese eBay versions of this will be $5 and make a slight profit. For what this is Asus are taking the piss at $40. $15 maybe.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Michael Scott posted:

Probably need to make up for the fact that the profit margin on the nexus 7 itself isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RZA Encryption posted:

Really? Because Apple pretty much wrote the book on charging $50 for $6 worth of NAND storage and it's pretty loving stupid. It's certainly a valid complaint that people don't want to get taken to the bank for a hunk of plastic.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 20, 2012