Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Cringe-worth injury story time: Playing floorball last night (relevant: no protective gear in floorball, except for goalies), I went in for a tackle along the boards (other dude was coming straight down the boards, I was moving toward him at about a 45° angle to the boards). My stick jams against his foot just as he kicks the ball past me - the other end of the stick lands up in my groin.

Yeah, I basically stopped from running full speed via spearing myself in the nads. :( Cue me lying on the floor for ~2 minutes before I can gather myself and crawl (more like earthworm-slide) the three meters to get off the rink.

No permanent damage, just bruising. Turns out I didn't actually hit square on, but I did hit bone.

What's your worst story?

fe: This post brought to you by the combined power of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Incidentally, you guys would probably know - what's the risk if I ignore the "max 6 tabs per day" on the box? I'm popping two at a time at the moment (also have an inflamed/erupting wisdom tooth) and they only last four hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The symptoms of ibuprofen overdose are pretty nasty (they'll make you at least as miserable as the pain you're trying to cover up with the bonus of a hospital visit) but I don't know what kind of intake will trigger them. I would guess the '6 a day' is pretty conservative so there's no problem with taking a few extra, but they do print those warnings for a reason.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Kidney failure and death.

edit: I ment liver failure.

Anders fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 16, 2012

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Thel posted:

fe: This post brought to you by the combined power of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Incidentally, you guys would probably know - what's the risk if I ignore the "max 6 tabs per day" on the box? I'm popping two at a time at the moment (also have an inflamed/erupting wisdom tooth) and they only last four hours or so.

Prolonged daily use of Paracetamol can cause liver damage if you're looking for the scary risks, overdosing on Paracetamol is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the US/UK. :smith:

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009

Thel posted:

I had a pretty bad virus disease and pneumonia as a follow-up five years ago and was in pretty bad shape. I got told then that I should never ever exceed 3200 mg of ibuprofen in one day. I wouldn't take more than that, don't really know about long-term use.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our terrible 59 year old goalie has thrown out his back or something; our "GM" guy spent all weekend trying to find someone to fill in and apparently has found a guy who played in the CHL and ECHL the last few years.

So, we're going from really old dude who has trouble with shots from the red line to dude who played at a higher level than anyone else on our team and is in his mid 20s. Sweet.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Thel posted:

The Ibuprofen dose is max 800mg every 4 to 6 hours. Paracetamol max is 1000mg every 4 hours. I read that the Ibuprofen doses over 400 haven't proven to provide any additional benefit. I'd never heard of that before.

Anyways, be careful with that poo poo, it can definitely mess with your insides. Taking with food can help the stomach upset. I don't know if there's anything that mitigates the liver damage.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Even with food ibuprofen can have a field day with your stomach lining.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

AHAQQ posted:

I had a pretty bad virus disease and pneumonia as a follow-up five years ago and was in pretty bad shape. I got told then that I should never ever exceed 3200 mg of ibuprofen in one day. I wouldn't take more than that, don't really know about long-term use.

I was on prescription ibuprofen for a hand injury once and they were 800mg tabs -- I think it was one every 6 hrs, which would be 4 times a day or 3200mg total. OTC is usually 200mg per tab I think, so you're probably all right.

Note: I am not a medical professional, so proceed at your own risk.

Fake edit: coldwind kinda beat me to it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Our terrible 59 year old goalie has thrown out his back or something; our "GM" guy spent all weekend trying to find someone to fill in and apparently has found a guy who played in the CHL and ECHL the last few years.

So, we're going from really old dude who has trouble with shots from the red line to dude who played at a higher level than anyone else on our team and is in his mid 20s. Sweet.

So when are you dudes gonna play the barons officially?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

So when are you dudes gonna play the barons officially?

Taylor Hall would literally kill me. Those guys are scary. :ohdear:

Also our "pro" goalie was pretty disappointing, 4 goals on about 10 shots, two very soft goals. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST STOP THE EASY ONES

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

bewbies posted:

Also our "pro" goalie was pretty disappointing, 4 goals on about 10 shots, two very soft goals. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST STOP THE EASY ONES

On my way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Why don't you try getting in front of a few of em if they're so soft!

Your boy Schultzy is looking almost as good as Nuge and Hall.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Gonna go play me some hockey tonight and try to forget what a horrible, hosed-up day this has been. At least for a little while.

Quoting this forever. Hockey is a place where all other issues and problems can disappear for 90 minutes. A place of clarity and purity where it doesn't matter whether you're a college student that just woke up or a father of 2 that just worked 10 hours. If you can play, find some other guys that you can play with and do it as often as you can.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It's only fitting that after my best game ever I follow it by a terrible one. My blades needed sharpening, which I didn't have time to do, and I totally deserved the 2 minutes I got for boarding. :v:

Gio posted:

Even with food ibuprofen can have a field day with your stomach lining.

As someone who had Barrett's Esophagus, lemme tell you how loving awful IBU is. I've had the Barrett's ablated about 6 years ago now, but I am still on Rx strength PPIs for the rest of my life to ensure it never comes back.

I have IBU in my medicine cabinet for a last resort, but I generally have to double my PPIs to tolerate it.

oddIXIbbo posted:

Quoting this forever. Hockey is a place where all other issues and problems can disappear for 90 minutes. A place of clarity and purity where it doesn't matter whether you're a college student that just woke up or a father of 2 that just worked 10 hours. If you can play, find some other guys that you can play with and do it as often as you can.

It's really amazing how everything melts away even at S&Ps. It's completely unlike every other sport I've played and even lifting. I don't know what it is about hockey that helps me forget about everything, but it does.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 17, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because you're constantly sprinting and planning while doing two things that's not natural for humans to do: balance on razor blades and guide an object with a long stick. You don't have time to think about anything except the game. :colbert:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thanks for the 2 hander behind the play douchebag.

Anyone have Jerred Smithsons number so I can get another one of his sticks?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Finally went to my first stick&puck last Thursday. After buying the gear back in August(!) for the Learn To Play class that got cancelled, it felt good to finally wear it and get out on the ice. :woop:

Only problem was, after 5 or 10 minutes of warm-up, everyone wanted to play a pickup game. I told them that I had never played before, so I just sat on the bench and jumped in when someone came out. I had no idea what I was doing and just chased the puck the whole time. I didn't mind not even touching the puck, but I felt terrible that my team (which only had 2 on the bench) was basically playing 5v4 whenever I was on the ice. :( Is there anything I can do, besides finding another beginner clinic, to help figure out what the hell I'm doing on the ice? I've watched hockey and played videogame hockey, sure, but when you're on the ice it's hard to translate that into positioning or whatever.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Brettbot posted:

Is there anything I can do, besides finding another beginner clinic, to help figure out what the hell I'm doing on the ice?

Talk to the people on your bench. Try your hardest and nobody will care. This is exactly how I got started. My third time on skates ever was in a hockey game. It's a good way to learn a lot fast!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even just standing in the passing lanes will make you useful.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

As someone who had Barrett's Esophagus, lemme tell you how loving awful IBU is. I've had the Barrett's ablated about 6 years ago now, but I am still on Rx strength PPIs for the rest of my life to ensure it never comes back.

I have IBU in my medicine cabinet for a last resort, but I generally have to double my PPIs to tolerate it.
Most people don't have Barrett's, though...

I was actually just reading Wikipedia and I guess there's some evidence that NSAIDs actually help prevent development of cancer in Barrett's esophagus.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

coldwind posted:

Most people don't have Barrett's, though...

I was actually just reading Wikipedia and I guess there's some evidence that NSAIDs actually help prevent development of cancer in Barrett's esophagus.

Indeed, I'm an extreme case. My experience with NSAIDs is that it causes my reflux to go into overdrive. As far as I've been told, what I want to avoid in order to prevent the Barrett's from coming back is the reflux, so I therefore try to avoid NSAIDs.

Lucky for me, I don't get too many headaches. :v:

19 o'clock posted:

Talk to the people on your bench. Try your hardest and nobody will care. This is exactly how I got started. My third time on skates ever was in a hockey game. It's a good way to learn a lot fast!

One thing that is amazing about playing games is that very few people actually will care so long as you are trying. Even if you're a liability, everyone remembers when they were in your position, and will try to help you.

Keep those blades sharp! :v:

Also, as far as positioning, I'm assuming you're playing W?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 17, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brettbot posted:

Finally went to my first stick&puck last Thursday. After buying the gear back in August(!) for the Learn To Play class that got cancelled, it felt good to finally wear it and get out on the ice. :woop:

Only problem was, after 5 or 10 minutes of warm-up, everyone wanted to play a pickup game. I told them that I had never played before, so I just sat on the bench and jumped in when someone came out. I had no idea what I was doing and just chased the puck the whole time. I didn't mind not even touching the puck, but I felt terrible that my team (which only had 2 on the bench) was basically playing 5v4 whenever I was on the ice. :( Is there anything I can do, besides finding another beginner clinic, to help figure out what the hell I'm doing on the ice? I've watched hockey and played videogame hockey, sure, but when you're on the ice it's hard to translate that into positioning or whatever.

Learn to skate better. It's overwhelming to try to be good positionally when you lack the ability to put yourself into position quickly.

Seriously. Just take a skating class. Doesn't have to be hockey focused. It will make things a ton easier.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
It's taken 2 weeks of slacking off at the office to get through this thread.

Seems like a lot of y'all play in pretty relaxed rec leagues. I play in D-(whatever the league coordinator deciedes to call it that season), and every team plays to be competitive. There is a little bit of friendly attitude but it all stops once the puck drops. We're all playing to win cheap tshirts and pucks with engraved plaques on them. There's a lot of rivalry and none of it's friendly. I can come up with 2-3 teams we play regularly that can be guaranteed to generate at least 20 minutes in penalties and at least one minor injury. I can't remember the last time I played 100% healthy with no soreness before the game.

I'm curious about opinions on mouthguards. I don't know anyone that wears them because you can't talk for poo poo, but in the back of my head I feel like I should. I have to find one that doesn't impede my ability to yell at wingers when they get out of position. I took a weak, poorly aimed slapshot to the chin a couple of months ago and it split open pretty good and I decided that maybe a mouthguard would be a good idea.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

To echo everyone else, just hustle. Nobody cares how bad you are as long as you're trying. It's stick'n'puck not pro hockey. (Anyone who gives you poo poo for being bad is a douchebag and can be ignored.)

I assume you're playing wing? If so, you can be 50% of a useful defensive winger just by being between your defender and the goal. On offense, depending on your team's skill level, either chase the puck around with everyone else, or try and get open to receive a pass.

And yeah, skating clinic. Go do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skating lessons are useful for specific tips, but I learned more in my first two sessions of hockey than I did in two months of lessons. It's the jump-in-the-deep-end style of learning but it does work.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Hockey camps/skate schools are awesome. Take as many as you can while you're starting out(and after too). Jumping in and playing hockey without any kind of an idea about positioning, plays, etc. generates bad habits because you'll be on a bench surrounded by "the greatest hockey minds, ever" who won't hesistate to fill you with all of their bad habits. It's good to be able to tell what's good situational advice and what is just some guy that watches a lot of NHL and likes to yell.

Still though, as others have said, just go play. As long as you're in an instructional or non-competitive division there's no reason to avoid being on a team even if you're just doing your best to get in someone's way to prevent shots or forechecking like a beast to generate turnovers.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Seriously, on W as a beginner you'll be infinitely more useful just learning to rotate with the puck than anything else. A simple way of putting it is: get between the D on the point and the puck when it is on your side, when the puck is on the other side, be high in the slot and just try to stop any opportunities for the defense man to slap it in there.

Oh, and just to re-echo "skate better", the best players are ALWAYS the guys who can skate the best. You can shoot the most WICKED SLAPPER in the world, but it's not worth poo poo if you can't skate.

My skating is significantly better than where I was back in the summer when I started. I have light years to go before I'd even consider myself a middling skater, but your whole opinion of what defines "can skate" will change in the next few months. Whenever I go to the outdoor rink a lot of people comment on my skating which is always strange to me because I think I loving suck at skating because of hockey.

Even after a month or two though, you'll see the people at where you are now, and just be amazed at the progress you've made. Like everything, it's practice practice practice, but at least with hockey you see improvements fast for a little while.

...then you tend to plateau out for a while. :v:

delpheye posted:

Hockey camps/skate schools are awesome. Take as many as you can while you're starting out(and after too). Jumping in and playing hockey without any kind of an idea about positioning, plays, etc. generates bad habits because you'll be on a bench surrounded by "the greatest hockey minds, ever" who won't hesistate to fill you with all of their bad habits. It's good to be able to tell what's good situational advice and what is just some guy that watches a lot of NHL and likes to yell.

Still though, as others have said, just go play. As long as you're in an instructional or non-competitive division there's no reason to avoid being on a team even if you're just doing your best to get in someone's way to prevent shots or forechecking like a beast to generate turnovers.

Hockey camps are always useful, and I am always amazed at how few people in lower divisions don't take advantage of them. I guess a lot of it here in my league is that most of the guys are just playing after seeing how much fun their kids have with it. So they don't have a lot of money to do much else other than the league.

So seriously, if you have the $$, do as much hockey clinics as you can. Another thing that helped me was getting private lessons. If you can at all help it, try to find out if there's an instructor who hasn't been skating since they were 2. My private instructor didn't learn to skate until I think about high school-ish which makes her a great instructor I feel. She understands the nuances about learning as an adult better than most all instructors I've worked with at clinics.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2012

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Even after a month or two though, you'll see the people at where you are now, and
So seriously, if you have the $$, do as much hockey clinics as you can. Another thing that helped me was getting private lessons. If you can at all help it, try to find out if there's an instructor who hasn't been skating since they were 2. My private instructor didn't learn to skate until I think about high school-ish which makes her a great instructor I feel. She understands the nuances about learning as an adult better than most all instructors I've worked with at clinics.

They don't always cost a lot either. We have Brent Severyn Nooners That are only like 20-30 bucks a session. I didn't even know about them until I went to drop-in and discovered that's what was going on. The rink does a terrible job of advertising them so I'm guessing this might also apply for other cities.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Hockey camps are always useful,

2013 registration is open for this place:

http://heartlandhockey.com/

They kind of have a lovely website but if you take the time to read through their adult page:

http://heartlandhockey.com/adult.htm

It sounds like the most badass week ever.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am finally getting around to filing a claim with USA Hockey for the knee injury that I suffered in September. However, when I was filling out the forms I came across this line:

"USA Hockey Insurance is an excess policy and members must meet a $1,000 out-of-pocket expense and obligation. As well, it may carry a deductible if no primary insurance coverage is in effect."

I do have my own primary insurance, but I am not sure if my out-of-pocket expense after primary insurance will meet $1,000. I don't mind them having provisions in place to prevent people from filing claims for any sort of bumps and bruises incurred on the ice, but it is annoying that it appears that I'll likely fall under $1,000 in out-of-pocket expenses and won't receive the benefit of their auxiliary coverage. Granted, I'm basing this off of what my previous knee injury in March cost, so maybe everything won't be covered the same for this injury.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Thanks for the advice, everybody. :) Everyone I talked to at the s&p was pretty nice, so I guess I'll just try to make it to as many open ice sessions as I can, while keeping an eye out for future camps I can take.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Aniki posted:

I am finally getting around to filing a claim with USA Hockey for the knee injury that I suffered in September. However, when I was filling out the forms I came across this line:

"USA Hockey Insurance is an excess policy and members must meet a $1,000 out-of-pocket expense and obligation. As well, it may carry a deductible if no primary insurance coverage is in effect."

I do have my own primary insurance, but I am not sure if my out-of-pocket expense after primary insurance will meet $1,000. I don't mind them having provisions in place to prevent people from filing claims for any sort of bumps and bruises incurred on the ice, but it is annoying that it appears that I'll likely fall under $1,000 in out-of-pocket expenses and won't receive the benefit of their auxiliary coverage. Granted, I'm basing this off of what my previous knee injury in March cost, so maybe everything won't be covered the same for this injury.

I think it ends up being fairly reasonable, the policy's there for pretty significant injuries. In my case they're going to end up covering $3500 of my out of pocket expenses. Hurt yourself worse next time!

Definitely submit your initial claim form though. You only have a small-ish window to get that one in, but once they have your injury claim approved you have a pretty large timeframe to send in related medical bills.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Skating lessons are useful for specific tips, but I learned more in my first two sessions of hockey than I did in two months of lessons. It's the jump-in-the-deep-end style of learning but it does work.

Love you, but couldn't disagree more.

Skating lessons are the building blocks and foundations of a hockey player. Not just specific tips but how to be a better player by getting to the puck faster, staying on your feet longer, and keeping up with the play. You can be the smartest player on the ice (which I'm sure everyone here thinks that they are given that they are posting on an internet forum about beer league at above a neanderthal level), but if you can't get there, it's pointless. Also a problem to not be a strong skater when you do get in position and someone outmatches/outmuscles you because they can outskate you.

A person can be in a great spot positionally, I'm going to not worry about them too much if they can't skate. A guy out of position that can skate is a problem because he'll react to the right spot more quickly and when he gets the puck he'll hold onto it longer and be more likely to make a play.

There's also a reason why most beginner L2P classes require the first 1-2 "levels" to be skates and helmet only.

Drop ins are a great way to learn bad habits that will cause you to plateau quicker. I see plenty of dudes transitioning from roller to ice or learning ice that would be much better players if they learned a proper, powerful stride. Just one example.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think we might be talking about different types of "skating lessons".

The stuff I'm suggesting that is of questionable utility is the $100 for six weeks where they section you off onto a faceoff dot and give you one instructor per 10 students for 45 minutes. They'll teach you how to stand on your skates and what a swizzle is, but not much more.

You seem to be talking more about power skating classes, which I agree with you 100%. They are incredibly useful and important (and also few and far between once you're of legal drinking age).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not taking proper skating courses is what gives us guys who run on skates rather than learning a skating stride, which is like my #1 favourite thing to laugh at, so please don't encourage people to take courses if it will impact the number of ice runners out there.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with you, here. Technique is very important. Many of my less experienced teammates have been treading water in the deep end for a while, and they've learn how to skate-run very well, but that's not really what you want.

Plus learning how to stop and cross over, etc. takes focus and dedicated time to work on, you just won't develop good cross-over or stopping technique just immersing yourself in hockey. It's impossible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm talking about learn to skate 101, with a helmet and skates. Simple as can be. The foundation of hockey. Week 1, forward skating. Week 2 forward + a little backwards. 3, forward + backwards again 4. F/B + cross over forward turns 5. transitions between F&B, 6. cross unders or whatever. Work in stopping in there whereever.

That's not a power skating class, that's a learn to skate class. If that's not been your experience then I'm sorry you saw a lovely one. A power skating class is much more "advanced techniques" and isn't going to be right for someone who is just learning to skate or doesn't really know how to skate. And that's usually the perfect descriptor of the worst person at any drop in that allows low level people, which is what we're talking about.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

skating, skating, skating.

What's the first thing a coach does if a team does really lovely? Hard skating. Not bs stick handling drills that you can do in your basement.

I did roughly 3 months of pure skating lessons before I even put on my gear and I have a much better concept of edges, powering into and out of crossovers, and other things. I am confidently much better than some of the U15 kids who have been playing for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Being confident on all 4 of your edges and learning how to get the most power out of your strides are definitely the cornerstones of improving your game, bar none.

That being said, make sure you try to work with a puck while on your skates once you are really comfortable with the edges. I'm the kind of idiot who grew up on an ice rink basically, did power skating lessons, was a skate guard and went to public sessions all the time and it was fine when I was practicing hockey and playing games with my teams up until college and then after I graduated and didn't play for a good year or two my skating confidence and ability came back uber quick but man did my confidence with the puck and my shot completely loving blow. It has taken actually a lot of discipline for me to go to a stick and puck and actually stickhandle and shoot instead of just skating around and doing edgework the whole time. :hurr:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 18, 2012