Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that's a huge size for what I figured would be a comparatively small addition, that's a little annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I don't know why they keep doing this. I won't be able to play Sleeping Dogs again until I patch and I don't have enough space unless I clear out just about everything else. I'm going to have to delete the game. I wish they would come up with a better system.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are there any config files to change the godawful driving camera on the PC? It's seriously giving me motion sickness, especially when I have to reverse quickly.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Forced patching due to a DLC that I wouldn't buy sounds just like a digital equivalent of "on-disc DLC"... or Battlefield 3.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Chortles posted:

Forced patching due to a DLC that I wouldn't buy sounds just like a digital equivalent of "on-disc DLC"... or Battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3 has gotten ridiculous. It's up to 27.8 GB now.

e: Wonder how long Zodiac Tournament will be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More Zodiac Tournament info!

Unlike Nightmare, it's part of the base game and you'll be warned if you try and do it while underlevelled. It hits on the 18th.

quote:

The Zodiac Tournament sees undercover cop Wei Shen invited to participate in a martial arts tournament held on an offshore island. Shen, along with a number of the world's best fighters, duke it out for the entertainment of the rich and famous.

While Nightmare at North Point explored classic Hong Kong horror movies like Mr. Vampire, Zodiac tournament explores 70s kung fu films, taking cues from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, with everything from the Island setup and the devious Mr. Han-like master of ceremonies, to similar fighters and booby trapped environments.

Gameplay consists of battling through a series of arenas, each filled with henchmen for Wei to kick, punch and brutally kill using environmental hazards. After dispatching with foot soldiers players must take on another fighter, with the promise of a unique finisher move as a reward for victory.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
70s kung fu flick theme? Eyepatches? Booby traps? New finishers? Day 1 buy.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You can tell with these story DLC packs how much the devs love this game. They are living out every Hong Kong cinema fanboy fantasy, and that is loving awesome. They told their own story, and did it well, now they are having fun riffing on all the HK movie legends.

United Front are a bunch of cool dudes and I bet they'd be good people to have a beer with. This game is a goddamn treasure.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Just got around to playing through Nightmare in Northpoint. Oh my god Winston's ghost was really funny.

I'm really excited for this new DLC coming out. I honestly have not minded spending the money on even small DLCs because they're just really well done.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Kins posted:

More Zodiac Tournament info!

Unlike Nightmare, it's part of the base game and you'll be warned if you try and do it while underlevelled. It hits on the 18th.

I see Winston Chu on that poster. Wonder how that's gonna work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If they just keep bringing out DLCs like this every few months I don't think I am EVER going to not be playing this game :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's Vinston, Winston's twin brother.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

If this doesn't have Jim Kelly in it I will be so mad. And I don't have time to be that way when I'm already too busy looking good.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Gameplay livestream, contains spoilers

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just got this from Gamefly and I love it.

Now if only I could advance the plot. I get sidetracked with stuffing people into trunks and going on 40 minute police pursuits.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Arenas with henchmen and booby traps? Oh man, they've added Professor Genki to Sleeping Dogs. Probably with less hotdog men though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey, small question:

I played this game a while ago on the xbox and I remember hearing "Magic" by Pilot but it's a different version than the one circulating on Youtube and stuff. It's slightly different key and a few subtle changes but it isn't as loud as the one normally played

But I can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone know the name of the specific version? Or can they upload it if it's not :filez:?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Man this one fight club (the one in central) is irritating me. I can get to round 6 no sweat. At that point I fall apart. Just too many grappler dudes to fight off. :(

Edit: woo! Beat it. 30k payout isn't too shabby with how fun the fighting is.

Draven fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 17, 2012

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Smelly posted:

Man this one fight club (the one in central) is irritating me. I can get to round 6 no sweat. At that point I fall apart. Just too many grappler dudes to fight off. :(

Edit: woo! Beat it. 30k payout isn't too shabby with how fun the fighting is.

Yeah, as soon as you hit a certain point in level and personal ability the fight clubs will leave you never wanting for money. Which is great, because busting dude's heads off shipping crates to buy a new car or suit is the best economic model.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't really had a problem with any of the fight clubs so far. Now, the higher-end drug bust locations where you have to fight 20 guys all with butcher cleavers... they're a bit more difficult for me to handle.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I found a few drug busts with gangsters with guns. If I try to shoot them the cops show up but they can shoot at me with no issues. I guess I'll just have to find a way to run them all over first.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can just bum rush people with guns and massacre them. You get a ton of face for takedowns on armed opponents, you wind up taking very little damage and regenerating it all. Sleeping Dogs is not a cover shooter, be hyper-aggressive and you will do best.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A few questions about the North Point DLC.

* Everyone has the 'glowy eyes and weird voice' FX, evev people who obviously aren't possessed (like the tea vendor outside the apartment). Is this a glitch?

* Cars by the side of the road keep randomly exploding. Glitch or angry car ghosts?

* Is there any way to get Hell Shrines marked on the map, or otherwise locate them?

Thanks

Edit: I wish you could sheath swords, the way you can put a pistol away.
Edit2: Hvae put on the 'Manhattan Melee' outfit and am pretending I am Jack Burton. Game owns.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 17, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

The Lone Badger posted:

A few questions about the North Point DLC.

* Everyone has the 'glowy eyes and weird voice' FX, evev people who obviously aren't possessed (like the tea vendor outside the apartment). Is this a glitch?

* Cars by the side of the road keep randomly exploding. Glitch or angry car ghosts?

* Is there any way to get Hell Shrines marked on the map, or otherwise locate them?

Thanks

1/ Nope, it's a total world conversion mod, demons have taken over. They are mostly pretty chill, but they are still demons. Game owns.

2/ Not a glitch, deliberate and awesome design choice. Game owns.

3/ No, you'll have to use a FAQ or search manually. I actually hunted them down because there are only 10 of them, and only in one part of the city. They are placed near landmarks from the main story for the most part, and in places that you would logically expect a collectible of this type to be found. Using my knowledge of the area from the main game to find them all legitimately gave me a real sense of satisfaction. Try that first, then look up a guide if you get super stuck.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not a glitch. It's just that some ghosts think the best way to spread chaos is to sell overpriced miracle tea and dubious clothes from special suppliers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I finally got around to playing and beating this after getting it from the GMG sale for $13. Holy poo poo what an incredible game. I'm ashamed I didn't pay full price for it when it came out and I'm surprised I didn't because I really love Shenmue/Yazuka-esque games. I hope it sold well enough for a sequel of sorts because god drat.

Easily one of the best games this year and blows Far Cry 3 out of the water in terms of execution of the open-world. Plus, characters were really good in this all around and I enjoyed the plot for the most part. It looked absolutely gorgeous and ran smoothly with the HD Pack + near maxed settings. There were a few janky problems with the camera and controls using a M+K, and combat suffers from the Assassins Creed/Batman problems where everyone just mills around you while one guy attacks you and you're completely invulnerable during some moves.

Going to wait to pickup the North Point DLC just in case it goes on sale, but if not I'll be happy to pay full price for that because this game owned.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I hope I get the same feeling. I had played through some of the game before on the Xbox, and didn't really like it. But since I got a new card and a cheap deal ($13 bucks down from $49.99? Yes please), I'd give it another shot. The running and combat seems meh but with the Hi-Def pack the game looks a lot better.

That said, I remember some issues about there being ways to screw yourself over with Triad or some type of XP. I just got into free roam again on my PC save. Is there anything I should know to keep myself from being inconvenienced?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Morter posted:

I hope I get the same feeling. I had played through some of the game before on the Xbox, and didn't really like it. But since I got a new card and a cheap deal ($13 bucks down from $49.99? Yes please), I'd give it another shot. The running and combat seems meh but with the Hi-Def pack the game looks a lot better.

That said, I remember some issues about there being ways to screw yourself over with Triad or some type of XP. I just got into free roam again on my PC save. Is there anything I should know to keep myself from being inconvenienced?

I haven't finished the game yet but it seems to me that Triad experience is farmable while Cop experience is not.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's not farmable but you can retry story missions for a higher score and if you do better you'll get that added to your Triad total. Warning: retrying missions can sometime end in a glitch that resets your story progress back to the mission you're retrying and there's no fix for this.

Cop experience is easy as hell to max out even in the base game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

It's not farmable but you can retry story missions for a higher score and if you do better you'll get that added to your Triad total. Warning: retrying missions can sometime end in a glitch that resets your story progress back to the mission you're retrying and there's no fix for this.

Is there some way do deliberately trigger this (on PC)? I'd love a New Game +.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

You can kind of do that with the stupid xp dlcs. I just wanted to get moves as soon as possible so I bought them, and they do the job well enough so that as soon as you get the 7 statues that don't require story progress and unlock the dojo you become superawesome, and triad and cop points are easy to max out in the base game with it.

Can't say it's for everyone, but it was pretty fun last playthrough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The Lone Badger posted:

If I remember correctly I restarted an earlier mission and then after a mid-mission checkpoint my game crashed and from that point forward I was borked so...maybe try playing the first mission, getting to a checkpoint and then force-closing the game from Task Manager?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So what causes me to lose my gun? I'll disarm a cop and run away but then about 20 minutes later I won't have it anymore. Does activating a mission make your gun disappear?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pretty much anything makes you lose your gun and if I remember correctly there's a button just to drop it. Don't think of them as permanent weapons as much as temporary powers as whenever you need one there will be plenty laying around.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is it just me or do melee weapons get treated the same?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah they're exactly the same.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Zodiac Tournament is going to be 400MSP/$4.99 according the Sleeping Dogs website. They have a preview video up (can't link to it due to the age gate) and the whole DLC plays through a ’70s film grain effect. Also showed some of the new environment takedowns like crushing a man's head between two giant cog wheels. Looks ace!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So as I posted before, this game has a version of "Magic" by Pilot, that's very different from pretty much the standard vanilla version on youtube or music sites.

I'm desperate to rip it (I don't have an external sound card, so Audacity can't pick it up), or find out more about it so I can get a good copy...but it's getting impossible to find! Official soundtracks just point to the standard version, gamerip downloads are down, it's supposedly really hard/impossible to extract them from the .pck files they're found in, and there's no word of any different versions of Magic on any wiki or anything.

Can someone help me out? It's on SagittariusFM :( Any info or a place to find it would be great.

Morter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Downloading Zodiac Tournament for Xbox right now. 1.31 GB, it's fairly hefty. Really looking forward to this, I love this game so much and even after over 80 hours I still want more more more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Speaking of large downloads, why is the Ghost Pig one over a gig on the Xbox?

• Locked thread