Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

3:16 seems way specific, is there an Oblivion joke there that I'm not getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

E: nevermind, misread the question

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kazerad posted:

Man you guys are creeped out way too easily. There's a difference between flandarization and fetishization. And given there's like ten posts there I am not sure you could call it either.
Yeah I know what flanderization is and I wouldn't have called it that. I guess people see what they want to see, though.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fucknag posted:

3:16 seems way specific, is there an Oblivion joke there that I'm not getting?

The only thing "3:16" calls to mind is the Bible verse "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life".

I doubt it has anything to do with that though. Probably just a random time?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It might just be another one of Katia's useless but interesting skills, being able to tell precise time by the sun alone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kazy posted:

It might just be another one of Katia's useless but interesting skills, being able to tell precise time by the sun alone.

By pressing tab, naturally.

Vidja game logic still sort of applies.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I took that as a UI joke. You rarely (ever?) get clocks in Oblivion, and when you do, they're analog ones. But bring up your hub and you'll get an exact time, which almost completely useless for any ingame purposes.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I took that as a UI joke. You rarely (ever?) get clocks in Oblivion, and when you do, they're analog ones. But bring up your hub and you'll get an exact time, which almost completely useless for any ingame purposes.

For the life of me, I can't even remember a single clock, or sun dial, or anything.
And I've been playing it recently. Maybe every Npc tells time with their own UI's.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bobulus posted:

bring up your hub and you'll get an exact time, which almost completely useless for any ingame purposes.

I tried to play Oblivion once, getting the exact time was the thing I used the most because all I did was unlock fencers and proceed to rob everyone blind. Making sure it was late enough for everyone to be at home/asleep was pretty much mandatory.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I actually found myself using the exact time a lot the last time I played Oblivion, mostly to know how long I had until stores opened and closed. Inventory weight felt limited enough that I was in a constant state of hauling around poo poo I wanted to sell (and constantly buffing myself with Feather to haul more of it).

Wrist Watch posted:

I tried to play Oblivion once, getting the exact time was the thing I used the most because all I did was unlock fencers and proceed to rob everyone blind. Making sure it was late enough for everyone to be at home/asleep was pretty much mandatory.
Yes, also theft.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sorry, I mean the "exact" part was the useless part. They could have just had your UI round it to the nearest hour and it would have worked just fine and felt a bit more immersive.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Is their anyone whose played Oblivion without stealing something?
Just started a new file a week ago, and as soon as I got out of prison I robbed the first defense for some steel armor.
I really have to finish that game.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

scarycave posted:

Is their anyone whose played Oblivion without stealing something?
Just started a new file a week ago, and as soon as I got out of prison I robbed the first defense for some steel armor.
I really have to finish that game.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play Oblivion without accidentally stealing something.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I actually found myself using the exact time a lot the last time I played Oblivion, mostly to know how long I had until stores opened and closed. Inventory weight felt limited enough that I was in a constant state of hauling around poo poo I wanted to sell (and constantly buffing myself with Feather to haul more of it).

Yes, also theft.

A mod I've always felt is required for Oblivion and Skyrim is some sort of portable chest, but I've never really felt a game is "better" with limited inventory.

Otoh, I'm the guy that gets to the last boss of an RPG with 99xFull Heals or whatever because I don't want to waste them, and Tamriel potions don't tend to be any exception to that :shobon:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ursine Asylum posted:

A mod I've always felt is required for Oblivion and Skyrim is some sort of portable chest, but I've never really felt a game is "better" with limited inventory.

Otoh, I'm the guy that gets to the last boss of an RPG with 99xFull Heals or whatever because I don't want to waste them, and Tamriel potions don't tend to be any exception to that :shobon:

"If I use/sell this I might never get another one! Better keep/store it."
-Me upon finding every enchanted piece of armor, weapon, weird named stuff etc. in Oblivion.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ursine Asylum posted:

A mod I've always felt is required for Oblivion and Skyrim is some sort of portable chest

What, no love for homebarrelling?

(The concept of "homebarrelling" is one of dumping all your unnecessary items into a barrel somewhere in a central location, thus negating the urgent need for a home in which to dump your 270lbs of brooms. Original idea courtesy Sean Vanaman/Idle Thumbs.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 17, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I wanted to do that in Skyrim but I read somewhere that items in public barrels can randomly disappear pretty frequently, and so I became paranoid.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

What, no love for homebarrelling?

(The concept of "homebarrelling" is one of dumping all your unnecessary items into a barrel somewhere in a central location, thus negating the urgent need for a home in which to dump your 270lbs of brooms. Original idea courtesy Sean Vanaman/Idle Thumbs.)

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, artificial constraints on inventory space in a sandbox game as a gameplay-padding mechanic is one of my pet peeves. It's one thing in a game like Resident Evil 4, where you don't both have A. an infinite bankspace that you can dump things in, and B. can't necessarily backtrack to any previous point to pick things up again. But Oblivion/Skyrim, where the only gating factor to selling every wooden bowl and spoon to a vendor is "Number of trips you want to make", it really feels skeezy. And you can't talk about "Well it's REALISM that you're only able to haul a weight that's dependent on your STR stat!" Yes and it's also realism that you can dump 30,000 pounds of cheese rolls and daedric armor into the barrel outside a bandit hideout, and realism that you can fast travel from one side of the continent to the other in the click of a button. There's a difference between "inventory management as a challenge" (Neverwinter Nights comes to mind) and "if you really want that extra gold from selling those ebony greataxes I hope you have an extra 20 minutes to spend fast traveling between Whiterun and the innermost area of Labyrinthan-- and god help you if you accidentally hit the "Take All" button when you're at home!"
:goonsay:

for the love of god don't get me started on Borderlands

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

and god help you if you accidentally hit the "Take All" button when you're at home!"

I did this about 4 times when first putting away all my extra junk.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

I got into the habit of quicksaving before putting anything away.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Let's not forget that the places where they want you to store items, the player houses, go for no lower than 5000 septims, a price you probably won't reach until you level up a fair bit or do some serious selling/looting, unless you know to do the arena and the black bow bandits as soon as possible, and until then you can have fun dumping them into containers that you hope are safe.

There is one "home" you can get but its shared by an Npc who will eat your potions (and if your like me, you've picked up every single plant life, meat, and bone into super juice, so you've got a ton of them at .5kg a pop) when your gone unless she gets murdered.

Also, the fact that several items (quest rewards) become heavier if you don't do them at their weakest. Joy oh joys.

Its no wonder pack-mule mods and custom player houses get downloaded like hot-cakes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I loved the cart glitch in Daggerfall for that. The inventory interface had two columns, one for the container and one for what you carry. Normally, your cart would be in the container slot, but when trading with a merchant, you can choose to sell what's in your cart, and that puts it in the "inventory" column.

Once it's in the inventory column, leave and go dungeoneering. Do not ever go to your inventory, except when looting. The "container" column will be the corpse or treasure you're looting, and the "inventory" column will still be your cart.

Normally, you'd have to make trips to the dungeon entrance to offload your excess loot to the cart, as you can't access it from inside buildings. But in this way, no problem! Saves a lot of time.

Too bad there's no cart in Morrowind and later games. At least in Morrowind you can exploit alchemy to create some positively absurd feather weight and fortify strength potions.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Too bad there's no cart in Morrowind and later games. At least in Morrowind you can exploit alchemy to create some positively absurd feather weight and fortify strength potions.

I seem to recall having some tricked-out 300s duration feather spells up near constantly in Oblivion, not to mention unlock spells that made Lockpicking worthless (could they be AoE? I want to say yes, but I may be confusing it with Knock in NWN.) I was sad they took spell creation out in Skyrim.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jon Joe posted:

I do this all the goddamned time.

I "solved" this by having different chests for different item types in my home, thus making it trivial to figure out what I picked up. It's still a time waster when I do it, but at least it's way simpler.

I've started to realize that I don't actually enjoy playing TES games; I play them for the "fun" of grinding against bandits in the whatever or other fetch/kill quest and it turns into a game of obligation, especially since I'm hardwired to just loving DO each quest no matter how stupid it is, or I'll feel like I'm missing out on some important bit of story. I lasted a couple of months before buying Skyrim, maybe I'll manage to skip the next game entirely.

Nah, who am I kidding. It'll get like 82 on metacritic and I'll shrug and click "buy"

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
I am a fan of carrying capacity limits when they are small or balanced enough to matter, but in the TES games it has always been something of a vestigial element. Deciding whether to carry a shotgun or flaregun in Team Fortress 2 is fun, so is figuring out how to stuff a rocket launcher into your inventory in Deus Ex, but in TES it's mostly a limit on how many lovely iron swords you can haul back to sell in one trip. The items that actually pose an interesting choice of whether or not they are worth carrying (e.g. very situational scrolls or potions) typically have very low weights to begin with.

Cthulhuchan posted:

I heard that this big delay was due to you trying something new, but it ultimately not working. If true, care to share?

Sure!

After seeing some of this person's pixel animations (specifically, the more complex and anime-esque ones like this) I was like "wow, that looks like a pretty quick way to do things" and decided to try some more complex heavily-layer-based animations based off the techniques she seemed to be using. It was pretty miserable, though; as is my biggest problem with pixely raster animations is the constant urge to rotate things, and using more layers only made it more tedious to deal with. After a few failed tries I gave up on it and whipped up something quick and silhouetty using Anime Studio. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with that program.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 17, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Probably the best way of handling inventory in this sort of game would be to have a way of automatically selling things you don't need, with the six trips back to base camp to drop them off taken as read. That way the game can retain a limit on active items, without needlessly encumbering players who just want a few extra gold coins to buy spells with.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Kazerad posted:

so is figuring out how to stuff a rocket launcher into your inventory in Deus Ex Resident Evil 4

gently caress Bitores Mendez :colbert:

Volmarias posted:

I've started to realize that I don't actually enjoy playing TES games; I play them for the "fun" of grinding against bandits in the whatever or other fetch/kill quest and it turns into a game of obligation, especially since I'm hardwired to just loving DO each quest no matter how stupid it is, or I'll feel like I'm missing out on some important bit of story.

I feel like the Thief/Dark Brotherhood quests are the best parts of the game, just because of the typically odd requirements for each quest. Everything else is pretty samey, quest lore aside, and best in 2-3 hour doses.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, artificial constraints on inventory space in a sandbox game as a gameplay-padding mechanic is one of my pet peeves. It's one thing in a game like Resident Evil 4, where you don't both have A. an infinite bankspace that you can dump things in, and B. can't necessarily backtrack to any previous point to pick things up again. But Oblivion/Skyrim, where the only gating factor to selling every wooden bowl and spoon to a vendor is "Number of trips you want to make", it really feels skeezy. And you can't talk about "Well it's REALISM that you're only able to haul a weight that's dependent on your STR stat!" Yes and it's also realism that you can dump 30,000 pounds of cheese rolls and daedric armor into the barrel outside a bandit hideout, and realism that you can fast travel from one side of the continent to the other in the click of a button. There's a difference between "inventory management as a challenge" (Neverwinter Nights comes to mind) and "if you really want that extra gold from selling those ebony greataxes I hope you have an extra 20 minutes to spend fast traveling between Whiterun and the innermost area of Labyrinthan-- and god help you if you accidentally hit the "Take All" button when you're at home!"

for the love of god don't get me started on Borderlands

I'm totally with you, I hate this too and it makes those games a chore. It pretty much killed Fallout: New Vegas for me, and it's to the point where you can max your Strength and pick all the perks for carrying more stuff and still have to make one trip to the shops per 20 minutes of adventuring.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is why the one of the first things to mod in is a bag of holding. Always.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I'm totally with you, I hate this too and it makes those games a chore. It pretty much killed Fallout: New Vegas for me, and it's to the point where you can max your Strength and pick all the perks for carrying more stuff and still have to make one trip to the shops per 20 minutes of adventuring.

Fallout 3 was actually one of the games that I didn't mod in anything for because of the item degradation system. Everything you picked up was such low quality that you could just keep chain-stacking items together until super-late game high-quality enclave power armor... And by that point, I had so many caps from selling my unused weightless ammo from the ammo scrounger perk that it wasn't even worth picking up things with weight to sell anymore.

SpookyLizard posted:

This is why the one of the first things to mod in is a bag of holding. Always.

I've always been a fan of the Dimensional Door mods. Scenic areas, lots of chests to sort things, just enough downtime in the load screen and chest sorting that you're not tempted to pick up every 100 septim, 40 pound iron greataxe, and a scenic place to sit while you're chain-spamming Heal and Detect Life to skill up Restoration and Alteration. :v:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Kazerad posted:

After seeing some of this person's pixel animations (specifically, the more complex and anime-esque ones like this) I was like "wow, that looks like a pretty quick way to do things" and decided to try some more complex heavily-layer-based animations based off the techniques she seemed to be using. It was pretty miserable, though; as is my biggest problem with pixely raster animations is the constant urge to rotate things, and using more layers only made it more tedious to deal with. After a few failed tries I gave up on it and whipped up something quick and silhouetty using Anime Studio. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with that program.

Got a bit too fancy for your own pants, eh? A shame it didn't work out. Do you think it was an issue of the technique not translating to what you wanted to do, or just a lack of familiarity with it?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kazerad posted:

I am a fan of carrying capacity limits when they are small or balanced enough to matter, but in the TES games it has always been something of a vestigial element. Deciding whether to carry a shotgun or flaregun in Team Fortress 2 is fun, so is figuring out how to stuff a rocket launcher into your inventory in Deus Ex, but in TES it's mostly a limit on how many lovely iron swords you can haul back to sell in one trip. The items that actually pose an interesting choice of whether or not they are worth carrying (e.g. very situational scrolls or potions) typically have very low weights to begin with.
That's one of the things I loved back when Gothic came out, since it's a game series where you have infinite carrying capacity. Although a better version that I think could work would be something inspired by Metal Gear Solid 3: you have effectively infinite carrying capacity, but can only have a certain amount of items actually equipped, with a penalty if you have too many heavy items and, unlike MGS, you cannot switch items in and out of the "active" inventory while in combat.
That way the character can carry whatever he wants, but some amount of inventory management is still in play.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's sad the amount I referred to the Weight/Value ratio column in Skyrim whilst trekking around looting. (A SkyUI feature)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's sad the amount I referred to the Weight/Value ratio column in Skyrim whilst trekking around looting. (A SkyUI feature)

I would just do mental arithmetic. Of course, that wasn't as helpful since by late game I was constantly picking up glass swords and stuff which was still basically vendor trash since I maxed blacksmithing and gave myself the best everything with potion bumps.

:argh: TES :argh:

Ursine Asylum posted:

Fallout 3 was actually one of the games that I didn't mod in anything for because of the item degradation system. Everything you picked up was such low quality that you could just keep chain-stacking items together until super-late game high-quality enclave power armor... And by that point, I had so many caps from selling my unused weightless ammo from the ammo scrounger perk that it wasn't even worth picking up things with weight to sell anymore.

This was actually a great system, along with System Shock 2, where your poo poo is constantly falling apart, so picking up more items isn't a way to sell vendor trash, it's a way to make sure your stuff is in at least somewhat working order.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Volmarias posted:

This was actually a great system, along with System Shock 2, where your poo poo is constantly falling apart, so picking up more items isn't a way to sell vendor trash, it's a way to make sure your stuff is in at least somewhat working order.

The best part of it is that during most battles, the human enemies you fight will have something you can use to repair the armor/weapons that were damaged during the fight.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I do enjoy the mechanic in theory, since it basically resulted in you being able to "stack" weapons with no weight penalty if you had a high enough repair skill. My only complaint with the base game is the lack of sniper rifles-- after finding the one in poo poo condition from the guy in Landmine and squealing like a little girl, I proceeded to keep using the hunting rifles for sniping for the next 80% of the game just because I could never find more snipers to repair it with. :(

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ursine Asylum posted:

I do enjoy the mechanic in theory, since it basically resulted in you being able to "stack" weapons with no weight penalty if you had a high enough repair skill. My only complaint with the base game is the lack of sniper rifles-- after finding the one in poo poo condition from the guy in Landmine and squealing like a little girl, I proceeded to keep using the hunting rifles for sniping for the next 80% of the game just because I could never find more snipers to repair it with. :(

You could always have a merchant repair it. Though that costs a lot. I remember being able to repair it though, just can't remember with what.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

scarycave posted:

You could always have a merchant repair it. Though that costs a lot. I remember being able to repair it though, just can't remember with what.

That and all the merchants have like 20 repair skill until you invest a fuckton of caps into the travelling ones. So the best you could do was half a dungeon of enemies before the stupid thing broke again anyways.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I liked Dungeon of Dredmor's approach, though it's designed on a turn based game.
You get a button to access a pocket dimension. Time in the real world doesn't pass (while handwaving consuming items in the pocket dimension) and you can sort stuff to your heart's content. Then you go back to the game and everything is the same as you left, and the pocket dimension button has a cooldown.
I think it's pretty clever, there is no limit as to how much stuff you carry, but can't abuse it in dangerous situations. Maybe in TES the cooldown could be time based/tied to a stat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maybe sometimes you just can't have all the items and all the gold.

• Locked thread