Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

timn posted:

To be fair, even with a gamepad the implementation of the controls is by no means perfect. There are several baffling idiosyncrasies that will really screw you up during those tense concentrated moments. You can learn how to predict and work around them most of the time, but even after 150+ hours there is still the occasional surprise that gets me killed.

This could use emphasis. After four consecutive attempts on O+S were lost because the game decided to buffer a great combustion cast until my next input I've been paying attention to the frequency of control glitches. Every five minutes or so the game will delay an action until you enter another input. Given an average human reaction time, if this happens to you during a dodge you'll get hit.

I've also started to notice camera glitches. Approaching the same group of enemies from the same direction results in baffling lock-on behavior. Dark Souls won't make up its mind if the enemy in the center of the screen and in front of your character is more important than the unaggroed hollow off to the side. And have you ever locked on to your own character? It's incredibly disconcerting, and I have no idea why it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TheBlandName posted:

And have you ever locked on to your own character? It's incredibly disconcerting, and I have no idea why it happened.

The camera has occasionally ended up in a place that looks like the inside of my character's chest. Is that what's happened? :stare:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
And this is happening with a gamepad? Because after well over a hundred hours with the 360 controller I've never noticed any sort of control glitches except for the weird lock-on behavior, although to be fair the lock-on is still literally 100x better than Demon's Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is wrong. You have to be +2 in the covenant and then go and physically open the door, but it stays open if you leave once it's open.

If I got to +2 in the covenant, then left and returned, would I still be +2?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Genocyber posted:

If I got to +2 in the covenant, then left and returned, would I still be +2?

Nope, you'll be down to 15 donated humanities, so you'll need to give another 15. If you left via Oswald, I think. Otherwise you need to start all over.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

And this is happening with a gamepad? Because after well over a hundred hours with the 360 controller I've never noticed any sort of control glitches except for the weird lock-on behavior, although to be fair the lock-on is still literally 100x better than Demon's Souls.

Yep, using a wired 360 pad here. The temperamental lock-on system and the input buffering already mentioned are the two biggest issues I've found. The latter is especially annoying because it affects everything. Attacking, rolling, item switching, the works. It almost feels like an intentional mechanism to punish button mashing, but all it really does is turn character response to mush at critical moments.

Also, trying to control the direction of a roll while locked on to an enemy can be annoying. Several times I've unintentionally rolled off a ledge or into an attack because of that.

Complaints aside, From has a really great idea going here with the slower, methodical controls. They could just stand to be tightened up a bit considering the kind of precision and skill the game asks from players. Hoping DS2 gets some close attention in that department.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

So if I get 'invasion canceled' when trying to use a Cracked Red Eye Orb, does that mean the player on the other end force quit the game?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
No, you get invasion canceled when you do something that makes it stop looking. If you walk through a transition area (where you wouldn't be able to drop your white soapstone sign) or drop a white soapstone sign, it'll cancel your invasion

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do Manus and Kalameet have really high magic resist? Nothing I've seen suggests that they do, but with 44 Int my Moonlight Greatsword +4 and Crystal Soul Spear with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring are doing rather pitiful damage, less than a third of what they do to most enemies. As a result, I'm having a stupidly hard time dealing anything more than chip damage to them, and that's not really cutting it.

Also Kalameet seems to be moving differently than I've seen him do in "how to get the tail videos." He always spins around immediately after charging instead of slamming his tail once. Was his behavior patched or is there something to trigger the slam I'm not seeing?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The camera has occasionally ended up in a place that looks like the inside of my character's chest. Is that what's happened? :stare:

I don't know. My weird lock-on had the camera zoom way in on my character's face and my character would circle strafe a point about 3 feet in front of her.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Keyboard here, but the glitches are unique to Dark Souls. Geop and Kuvo described them perfectly in their LP so the input device seems non-essential to the problem. The action input gets added to the buffer, but it isn't acted on until the next action input is made. Walking and camera control do not impact the glitch in any way. (I suspect that's because those two functions were originally mapped to analog sticks.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I spent a good ten minutes ranting and raving over this game to a friend before I realized it. It's finally happened to me: I've become a servant of the :darksouls: Covenant.

I've also definitely come across input weirdness on my character, specifically when it comes to blocking, dodging and clicking the R3 for lock-on. It'll respond correctly most of the time but there have been a few times when I know I've eaten a hit despite hitting the button.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Do Manus and Kalameet have really high magic resist? Nothing I've seen suggests that they do, but with 44 Int my Moonlight Greatsword +4 and Crystal Soul Spear with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring are doing rather pitiful damage, less than a third of what they do to most enemies.
:raise:

I'd say they do, yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The weird buffering bug is absolutely a thing, its been there since the original console release and they just never managed to patch it out for some reason. Pretty rare in my experience, but its the most infuriating thing when you die because your attack got buffered for a split second.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I've never had an attack get caught in the buffer but I have had it happen with rolling. As in I roll right off a cliff several seconds after I no longer need to roll. :sigh:

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I'm hanging out at my brother in laws, I got him dark souls for an early Christmas present. He is hanging out at the bonfire in firelink trying to figure out where to go next (god I hope he picks new londo). We see a ghost casually walk up to the crestfallen warrior with an axe, pause for a second, then take a swing before fading out.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
The roll buffering thing happens to me, too. I thought it was just because input was tied to the framerate, or because my controller is dying. I hope that gets fixed, but I also hope they move away from the terrible lock-on system, I mean, at least the zelda games with the same controls let you strafe around when there's no available target. R3 is a bad place for lock-on (I've always hated the stick buttons), and for that matter, roll/run shouldn't be on a face button.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Huh. I wonder why I never noticed it. I guess my tendency is just to assume that I'm terrible(I am terrible).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I'm rather certain the roll buffer happens because the game waits for you to finish your attack animation, meaning the attack itself, and most of the recovery then it rolls. It's real easy to mistime the recovery, I do it all the damned time when using big slow weapons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

I'm rather certain the roll buffer happens because the game waits for you to finish your attack animation, meaning the attack itself, and most of the recovery then it rolls. It's real easy to mistime the recovery, I do it all the damned time when using big slow weapons.
It happens even when you're in the idle state, its not a matter of animation priority.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

Paracelsus posted:

Also Kalameet seems to be moving differently than I've seen him do in "how to get the tail videos." He always spins around immediately after charging instead of slamming his tail once. Was his behavior patched or is there something to trigger the slam I'm not seeing?

His willingness to tail slam seems to depend on your position relative to his tail after he completes his charge. I think you need to be at about the midpoint of his tail, and under it, at about the time he lands.

With that in mind, it's still really frustrating to trigger it and depends a lot on luck.

Regarding buffer: I think it may have been implemented as a feature so that your guy can immediately start your desired action after the current one completes. This is nice because it lets me queue an estus (or weapon swap, or anything else) when my current attack (or any action) is about to finish, and I don't have to button mash to start the next action right away.

It just becomes a huge problem when the queue retains a roll that's going to send you over a cliff :(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm getting the hang of Sen's fortress... until I panic and run away from a snakeman directly in to an axe.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
There is a queue system in the controls, it is something you kind of have to get used to.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I think I'm getting the hang of Sen's fortress... until I panic and run away from a snakeman directly in to an axe.

Dark Souls rule #1: Don't Panic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lazy Programming posted:

There is a queue system in the controls, it is something you kind of have to get used to.

That's not what people are talking about. There's a bug that randomly crops up that can delay an input by a second or so.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's not what people are talking about. There's a bug that randomly crops up that can delay an input by a second or so.

Oh yeah, I've had that happen some times.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 350 days!
made a thing.

npe
Oct 15, 2004
It's indefinite. On the Xbox I've had it happen where I'm fooling around and just *know* my input got eaten, and I've purposely waited 20 seconds or more before doing anything else to see if it would disappear. It doesn't.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A bug... or a feature? :darksouls:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the bsd boys posted:

made a thing.

now stick it up your butt

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

now stick it up your butt

Light it on fire, throw 3 pints of oil onto it, then do this.

Plus if anybody breaks into your house the fire will go out, it's the perfect security system. So if the pain stops, you have an intruder.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Please tell me that after I beat the Gaping Dragon I never have to return to the Depths again, because gently caress this place.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

quiggy posted:

Please tell me that after I beat the Gaping Dragon I never have to return to the Depths again, because gently caress this place.

You'll never have to return to the depths again.

I eagerly await your opinion of Blighttown.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

quiggy posted:

Hahaha, I hope you think about this post as soon as you get to the next area and have a little laugh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

quiggy posted:

HA. The Depths is a coward compared to the torture that comes next.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Tomb Of The Giants was way worse than Blighttown for me. By a long shot.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

You guys aren't making me want to play this game :ohdear:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

The Tomb Of The Giants was way worse than Blighttown for me. By a long shot.

After you beat Tomb of the Giants once though it's a lot less painful. You know what you need to do to, well, see and learn how to easily deal with it's denizens.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

the bsd boys posted:

made a thing.

Oooohhh pretty! What materials are everything? Looks like clay but I'm not positive about a couple bits.

quiggy posted:

You guys aren't making me want to play this game :ohdear:

My advice would be to make sure you have the Spider Shield from the Depths (spoilered in case anyone doesn't want advice)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I like Blighttown :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

fennesz posted:

After you beat Tomb of the Giants once though it's a lot less painful. You know what you need to do to, well, see and learn how to easily deal with it's denizens.

I still have no idea how to deal with skeleton beasts. I can get through the tomb fine, but every fight with them is touch and go, even with a light spell up. I can handle every other enemy in the game predictably.

• Locked thread