Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
well yeah, no, i know, but we cant find where and the tangle of callbacks makes it hard and basically yeah, its a complete write off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey i'm an idiot but i just want to thank whoever it was that recommended Effective C++. if i had a choice i'd be using a good language but at least now my c++ is slightly less terrible

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
you could trick some sperg you work with into rewriting it by saying 'ugh python/ruby/java just can't do this. it just isn't possible to move it off node'

and then wait for them to try and prove you wrong

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

you could trick some sperg you work with into rewriting it by saying 'ugh python/ruby/java just can't do this. it just isn't possible to move it off node'

the only available sperges i have are myself and the other guy i need writing other stuff. immigrate, tef, and all this could be yours *waves hand at pile of poo poo code*

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Werthog posted:

hey i'm an idiot but i just want to thank whoever it was that recommended Effective C++. if i had a choice i'd be using a good language but at least now my c++ is slightly less terrible

Now go buy More Effective C++.

Also C++ is a good language in that all languages are a bad language.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the one time i tried to write a node.js app the author deleted the stdlib module i was using and so i ported it over to the new thing and then it happened again two weeks later so i stopped using node

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
a friend of mine gave a talk on a node.js api and it did a major release the week before his talk. he had to rewrite all his talk, slides and example code.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

that owns and reinforces my negative opinion of node.js

tef posted:

a friend of mine gave a talk on a node.js api and it did a major release the week before his talk. he had to rewrite all his talk, slides and example code.

Suspicious Dish posted:

the one time i tried to write a node.js app the author deleted the stdlib module i was using and so i ported it over to the new thing and then it happened again two weeks later so i stopped using node

tef posted:

oh that's a node.js feature. if you write using cooperative threads, you get deadlocks when a task fails to release back to the event loop.

:3:

obligatory node is garbage and you should collect it

jesus h. christ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

well yeah, no, i know, but we cant find where and the tangle of callbacks makes it hard and basically yeah, its a complete write off.

my close encounter of the node.js kind was doing cj and maven crap for a skunkworks project. the devs got to choose the entire tech stack and write brand new code for a new product of their choosing, with no budget limitations.

after ten people worked full time for six months, they had a non-working alpha using nodejs and mongodb. (but it had a js rich client experience!)

a week before the first alpha release to the public, it was finally admitted in a meeting that the entire nodejs codebase would have to be rewritten because no one had realized that there was no debugger/profiler and basic bugs became unfixable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah to make it better, when the devs found out the project was going to be put on hold after the alpha release, they all refused to work on it or finish the alpha

so nothing was ever published and everyone on the team quit or was sent back to shoveling java in the code mines

tl;dr: developers are prima donnas

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my close encounter of the node.js kind was doing cj and maven crap for a skunkworks project. the devs got to choose the entire tech stack and write brand new code for a new product of their choosing, with no budget limitations.

after ten people worked full time for six months, they had a non-working alpha using nodejs and mongodb. (but it had a js rich client experience!)

a week before the first alpha release to the public, it was finally admitted in a meeting that the entire nodejs codebase would have to be rewritten because no one had realized that there was no debugger/profiler and basic bugs became unfixable

pfft print statements a good enough for me

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Also the node author rage quit twitter after saying things people disagreed with

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
node: you're in a maze of twisty passages, all alike

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
And I had just been thinking "I've heard some things about this node.js business; I should try using it for something". Maybe not so much now. :ohdear:

Trainbearer
Nov 5, 2005

funy computer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
it's possible it's improvhahahahahaha sorry

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there was no debugger/profiler

wat?

node.js: write js like it's 1999

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i saved a whole bunch of Victor quotes to remind myself what i was trying to avoid becoming and this resonates again reading how!!'s stupidity

quote:

Victor posted:

Because I do know stuff about the subject. I just don't use the
proper jargon.
I don't really believe that at all but you've apparently convinced
yourself that it's true so whatever, you do what you gotta do.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i'm actually real good at math, just not with numbers

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jerry SanDisky posted:

i'm actually real good at math, just not with numbers

Mathematics involves many skills, dealing with numbers is only one of them.

I'm in my final year of maths at uni and am fine with the calculus, abstract algebra and numerical methods but find two digit mental arithmetic really hard - I often mess up and have been forced to be pretty dependant on my calculator during exams.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 17, 2012

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
http://shitryandahlsays.tumblr.com/

ryan dahl is the tbc of javascript

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

tef posted:

this is actually a great way to get all technical problems resolved

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spongeh posted:

http://shitryandahlsays.tumblr.com/

ryan dahl is the tbc of javascript

hoooly crap this is great

quote:

We should not be supporting more programming languages. We should be killing them. All these bullshit projects are confusing people.
[...]
scala, clojure, coffescript, lua, C#, ruby, perl need to be euthanized
[...]
The only interesting languages are C/C++, Go, Dart, JS (and possibly Rust). Everything else is legacy bullshit.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

tef posted:

if you're going to go down the whole 'sending a message' thing, I kinda prefer the erlang processes and async message stuff. messsage passing makes more sense to me when it's between processes running independently, rather than as a way of interacting with data structures.

Why don't your data structures receive asynchronous messages? What if all collections existed as actors (this is something my group is looking into).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sang- posted:

Why don't your data structures receive asynchronous messages? What if all collections existed as actors (this is something my group is looking into).

sometimes you want an answer from a data structure, in which case synchronous messages (or some way to fake 'em) are useful

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FamDav posted:

Now go buy More Effective C++.

Also C++ is a good language in that all languages are a bad language.

gently caress

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hoooly crap this is great

c#: released in 2000, legacy bullshit
js: released in 1994, the future!!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sometimes you want an answer from a data structure, in which case synchronous messages (or some way to fake 'em) are useful

Object.msg(Msg, UniqueRef)
wait_for_reply(UniqueRef)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

Bad and gay

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

quote:

“I’m a systems person attempting to make programming better.”
jesus fuckin christ

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

since you'll be doing that all the time, just wrap it in a function that turns it into a synchronous message, and also handles all the failure cases

edit: here's sixty lines of how to do that https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/lib/stdlib/src/gen.erl#L196

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 17, 2012

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cocoa Crispies posted:

since you'll be doing that all the time, just wrap it in a function that turns it into a synchronous message, and also handles all the failure cases

edit: here's sixty lines of how to do that https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/lib/stdlib/src/gen.erl#L196

that's where i learned to do it

that was just an example of how to turn asynchronous messaging into synchronous calls

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

rotor posted:

write it in objective-c

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

vapid cutlery posted:

write it in objective-c

itll end up in django or - lmbo - actionscript

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Sort of, yes (and can obviously be done implicitly)

The actor-model requires guaranteed delivery, so you don't need to wait on adding objects to the collection.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Sang- posted:

Sort of, yes (and can obviously be done implicitly)

The actor-model requires guaranteed delivery, so you don't need to wait on adding objects to the collection.

guaranteed delivery and asynchronous calls are fundamentally incompatible without some sort of way to back out every computation subsequent the failed call. (time machines are an acceptable substitute) i guess it's possible in theory but then it's really synchronous speculative execution. even in a local system the receiving actor could fail to allocate more space for the new value.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

1337JiveTurkey posted:

(time machines are an acceptable substitute)

(call/cc call/cc)

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

(call/cc call/cc)

yeah continuations are another alternative, but loving around with spacetime itself has the advantage that it's more comprehensible to mortal minds

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

yeah continuations are another alternative, but loving around with spacetime itself has the advantage that it's more comprehensible to mortal minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

:laugh: