Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Barto posted:

The contract translation is wrong.
命 (ming4) has six common meanings in classical texts.
(as a noun)
an order such as in Zuozhuan:
左傳˙成公十三年:「寡人帥以聽命...」
Zuozhuan, the 13th Year of Duke Gong: "Our men heed the ~~command~~."
Fate ordained by heaven:
論語˙顏淵:「死生有命,富貴在天。」
The Analects, the Yanyuan Chapter: Life and Death are ~~fated~~, wealth and fortune are at/come from Heaven.
an existence/life
文選˙李密˙陳情表:「人命危淺,朝不慮夕。」
Literary Selections, Li Mi, Thoughts Presented to the Emperor
"Human ~~life~~ is short and brutish, in the morning think not of evening."

(as a verb)
to be ordered out on a mission
唐˙柳宗元˙始得西山宴游記:「遂命僕人過湘江,緣染溪。」
Liu Zongyuan: Record of the first banquet on Westmount: "[I] then ~~~ordered~~~ my servant across the river, where green stained the brook."
And also, to believe [of oneself] or choose a name.

命 (ming4) does not have the meaning of contract. China has had contract law from a very early time, so if it meant contract or had that meaning it would be evident from the literary corpus.

Secondly, your professor has made a big mistake of using evidence from the Zuozhuan in order to talk about the idea of 天命 (tian1ming4) in later times because in the Zuozhuan it's being used in a general sense of noun/verb, not as a specific philosophical concept as developed by Xunzi/Dong Zhongshu, etc.

Trying to suggest that there's no spiritual element in the mandate philosophy is rewriting history. The Chinese during the Han had a very nuanced idea about the spiritual world and their relation to it.

Consider me corrected. Like I said, I don't have that much of a background in Chinese history and I was a bit skeptical about my teacher's interpretation to begin with (it was an aside to a question asked by a Chinese student if I remember correctly). He was actually just talking about the late Shang and the reason art started getting less rigid/based on predetermined designs afterwards, and was tying it to political developments during the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

Of course, I'm not an expert in Chinese history to say the least, but there probably is some grain of truth in this post. I didn't even cite late Tang radicals like Liu Zongyuan (773-819 AD), who's all about this stuff and hated his feudal society.
Dawg, I meant in the practical sense. Even when Menzious was talking about ruling through example poo poo and not bein' overt or whatevs, you still had a practical, flexible system of governance that's really pragmatist compared to the equivalent European model (That of divine right). Yeah, you got the guiding ethical principle founded on the ideas of Ren, exemplified in Junzi, but that poo poo was never really put into practice, the Legalist influence made sure of that.

And Religion, ah. That's a can of worms, especially as the imagined clear delineation of "Secular" and "religious" is blurred enough here in the west and a discussion that I ain't gonna get into. But just 'cause old Kung may not have talked about it way back when doesn't mean that the matter wasn't discussed later.

I dunno, I'm up for a discussion on this poo poo but I'm thinkin' this is more for things not involving men long dead. Heh, I guess we could go on about modern revivals or how they tryin' to use Confucianism to fill the ethical vacuum left by the abandonment of Maoism back in the opening or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's a good book on Confucianism, particularly in a modern context, with some historical background, and looking at it as an ethical system?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Here's an interesting article comparing modern-day China to the European renaissance. In particular, they focus on the renewed interest in classics. There are some good points, but I don't know if I would call it a renaissance, exactly.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

VideoTapir posted:

What's a good book on Confucianism, particularly in a modern context, with some historical background, and looking at it as an ethical system?

I like the Rosemont and Ames translation of the Analects, but it definitely tries hard to make the Analects into a modern philosophical system, with attention to its original context. That means it really peeves people who want to learn about Confucianism-in-context as a historical moment an cultural movement through Chinese history.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That thing about 命 reminds me why I never want to read another word of classical Chinese, especially not with a 14 volume paper dictionary!
:gonk:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Going from the historical.

It's from the end of last month but I was curious if any Chinese or SE Asian commentators picked up on the ruling by the International Court of Justice which awarded Nicaragua a large slice of sea to be be part of the Exclusive Economic Zone despite agreeing that Colombia had sovereignty over several islands effectively within that EEZ.

I haven't sought out the full text of the ruling and the articles I've come across it don't cover the arguments used to reach that conclusion. Considering the focus in the South China Sea on using claims on remote islands and archipelagos to extend EEZs across vast stretches of sea do you think this might have an effect on the argument raging around the sea claims there?

AP Copy
Economist Article

It doesn't seem to have gotten much coverage in the English speaking press...

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Man, guwen is boss, I don't know why you guys dislike it. It makes everything so poetic, shaded, and allegorical.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

That thing about 命 reminds me why I never want to read another word of classical Chinese, especially not with a 14 volume paper dictionary!

Chinese dictionaries.
Jesus. (Can't save us)

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

BrotherAdso posted:

I like the Rosemont and Ames translation of the Analects, but it definitely tries hard to make the Analects into a modern philosophical system, with attention to its original context. That means it really peeves people who want to learn about Confucianism-in-context as a historical moment an cultural movement through Chinese history.

More specifically, from what I've heard from Sinologists, it tries to make Confucius into a Deweyan. I met Ames once, he seemed like a very very nice person, but he doesn't get much respect from his colleagues. If you want a more rigorous translation try the Slingerland edition. Definitely not a light read though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MaterialConceptual posted:

More specifically, from what I've heard from Sinologists, it tries to make Confucius into a Deweyan. I met Ames once, he seemed like a very very nice person, but he doesn't get much respect from his colleagues. If you want a more rigorous translation try the Slingerland edition. Definitely not a light read though.
Ehhh, it's a fairly solid translation, the class on Chinese Philosophy was assigned it this semester and most of them seemed to grasp him fairly well with that one (Better than with the last one, forget his name, brown cover I think?). Don't get the Dewey comparison (That is, I do, but those were also comparisons made by Chinese academics when Dewy himself introduced his theories as far as I know? Don't know Dewy that well.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Learn 古文 like a pro and the analects aren't all that hard. :getin:

The Dao De Jing on the other hand...

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 136 days!

Arglebargle III posted:

gently caress classical Chinese, I refuse to believe that it was ever a medium for clear communication.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
You anti-guwen people are insane, I sincerely wish English had some kind of constrained allegorical dialect where meaning was entirely contextual.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Isn't it classical Chinese that gave us the treasure that is The Lion-eating Poet in the Stone Cave?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Isn't it classical Chinese that gave us the treasure that is The Lion-eating Poet in the Stone Cave?

Ehhh, that was a joke essay written relatively recently as these things go, it doesn't actually make much sense even in written form.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fine-able Offense posted:

You anti-guwen people are insane, I sincerely wish English had some kind of constrained allegorical dialect where meaning was entirely contextual.
Hahaha, yeah. I've accepted never really understandin' anything in my craft 'cause I just don't get idealogical pictograms.
(Also, I've wanted to ask for a long time, what's your avatar from?)

VVVV
Haha, oh hockey~

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 19, 2012

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(Also, I've wanted to ask for a long time, what's your avatar from?)

After this incident, a lot of Red Wings fans were really butthurt that it only resulted in a fine instead of a suspension for Shea Weber. To make fun of them, two Predators cheerleaders re-enacted the whole thing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That poem is exactly the same as that buffalo sentence in English. Technically correct and grammatical, functionally incomprehensible.

One of my professors claimed a big reason guwen is the way it is is because writing characters sucked so anything they didn't absolutely have to write they didn't. I can get behind that reasoning.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What's the context for it btw? Was it meant to be meaningful or something similar to "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's "The Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den" and it was meant to show off by composing an entire story made up of one homonym. People here are actually selling it short, it codes a lot more meaning than "buffalo buffalo buffalo" of cgisf but it's still basically an academic stunt.

Because of the somewhat unique Chinese approach to the written language, it's quite comprehensible in its written form despite being unintelligible when spoken. Classical Chinese isn't really a spoken language anyway, and likely never was.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 20, 2012

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

It's "The Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den" and it was meant to show off by composing an entire story made up of one homonym. People here are actually selling it short, it codes a lot more meaning than "buffalo buffalo buffalo" of cgisf but it's still basically an academic stunt.

Because of the somewhat unique Chinese approach to the written language, it's quite comprehensible in its written form despite being unintelligible when spoken. Classical Chinese isn't really a spoken language anyway, and likely never was.

I'm going to have to disagree on "quite comprehensible" when written. Youd need context for the poem and decent guwen to.decipher it well. Most people can understand it well now simply because it's so famous.

According to my main man Zhou Youguang, the poem was written as a joke, but also to show how well characters work in Chinese. The late Qing and early Republic years were full of intellectuals like Lu Xun trying to get rid of hanzi as a whole and switching to some kind of hangul type system. The poem is complete nonsense when spoken, which isn't exactly true for most guwen.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

US senate have voted in favor of a bill recognizing "The unilateral actions of a third party will not affect United States acknowledgement of the administration of Japan over the Senkaku Islands". This doesn't say "Japan we've got your back on the islands", there's a difference between administration and ownership, but feathers be ruffled.

The Global Times goes all out on related news:

quote:

The Japanese Air Self-Defense Force scrambled F-15 fighter jets to intercept China's marine surveillance aircrafts over the Diaoyu Islands Saturday. Although Prime Minister-elect Shinzo Abe announced he would defer dispatching law enforcement staff to the islands and will instead send envoys to neighboring countries to mend ties, his hawkish stance will not change, and nor will the right-wing tendency of Japanese society. The friction and tensions between China and Japan will continue to rise.

More Chinese are wondering if a war will break out between the two. Some strategists believe that although neither has the will to fight a war, the Diaoyu dispute could be the trigger. Once the dispute intensifies into a war, the sentiments of the public from both countries may explode, which will result in large-scale military clashes.

The Chinese public knows little about the country's military strength and their contempt for Japan is soaring. The deeply rooted resentment against Japan, once ignited, will have incredible power.

If China's marine surveillance aircraft is downed during its confrontation with Japan's fighter jets, the Chinese public will demand that the government take revenge. An apology from Japan will not be enough, and the public will expect a Japanese jet to be taken down. The government cannot turn a blind eye when its citizens suffer losses in the islands.

The Chinese government is playing the leading role in securing Diaoyu's sovereignty. Japan's provocation in the islands is no longer aimed at individual Chinese but is a direct challenge to China's reputation. If the government steps back, it will become the world's laughing stock. If it goes forward, it will face military confrontation between the two.

Going forward is the only choice for the Chinese government, while it needs to think carefully about how to strike Japan's arrogance and at the same time maintain peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region.

The Chinese government should simulate the various situations of an intensified Diaoyu crisis and enunciate principles that require Japan pay the same price. The principles should be made known to both Japan and the US. There's no compromise over the principles.

The Chinese public should also be informed of such principles, so that they will know about the Chinese government's determination in safeguarding the sovereignty of the Diaoyu Islands and the importance of a well thought out strategy. China will carry out policies that are reasonable and forceful.

The principles will make outsiders acknowledge China's firmness in its actions and stop harboring any illusions. They will believe China has a bottom line for its actions, and will not misunderstand China's necessity to take military revenge on Japan.

Of course Japan may retaliate against China, leading to a large-scale war. If this really happens, China can only face Japan in a catastrophe intentionally set by the US.

So, war is likely, for the sake of saving face? Also, in the end it's all America's fault anyway. With stuff like this how can anyone believe the peaceful rise rhetoric?

I'm not sure at the line 'The Chinese public knows little about the country's military strength'. It seems to be recognizing that right now, China's military is sub-par.

Surely the Global Times is just where the dementia-laced cadres are sent out to pasture, so they can give China a rep for being crazy enough they just...might...be crazy, so the other kids better treat them nice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh the old eye-rolling claim that the Chinese government will have no choice -- no choice! -- but to listen to its people and launch a war with Japan. We all know how important the Chinese people's views and desires are to Zhongnanhai.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The censorship debate started by Southern Weekly has spread to Beijing.

Supposedly every newspaper have to run the a Global Times editorial which basically point the fingers to "oversea anti-china factions" for causing the Southern Weekly debate. According to weibo, the staff of the New Beijing News has taken a vote decided not to run it. I worry what will happen to these reporters.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
From the same newspaper, Southern Weekly is going back to work though.

flatbus
Sep 19, 2012

chird posted:

US senate have voted in favor of a bill recognizing "The unilateral actions of a third party will not affect United States acknowledgement of the administration of Japan over the Senkaku Islands". This doesn't say "Japan we've got your back on the islands", there's a difference between administration and ownership, but feathers be ruffled.

The Global Times goes all out on related news:

So, war is likely, for the sake of saving face? Also, in the end it's all America's fault anyway. With stuff like this how can anyone believe the peaceful rise rhetoric?

I'm not sure at the line 'The Chinese public knows little about the country's military strength'. It seems to be recognizing that right now, China's military is sub-par.

Surely the Global Times is just where the dementia-laced cadres are sent out to pasture, so they can give China a rep for being crazy enough they just...might...be crazy, so the other kids better treat them nice.

I doubt anyone will start a war over face. Also, thanks for the article, it looks like the US picked Japan's side in the dispute. Not that there was any question which side the US would pick, I just assumed it would be Obama giving a speech on some Asia tour rather than Congress quietly putting it in a budget. Or maybe he already did and I wasn't paying attention. As for the peaceful rise rhetoric, that can be safely ignored for any country but in the case of the Diaoyu islands, it works to China's advantage. China hasn't sent any navy ships to the islands, just some maritime surveillance ships; same with Japan, I think - no navy ships, just coast guard boats. Come to think of it, the F-15 incident might be the first case of an actual branch of the armed forces involved in the dispute. A bunch of Japanese F-15s chasing off unarmed turboprops? Great show of self-defense for the right wing in Japan and a great escalation to seize on in China. At this point both sides are just playing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Apparently someone had to step down. Just speculation, but where can the guy laterally move after resigning? Consultancy? Another government job? Start a PR firm? I'm always curious of people moving away due to exterior pressure.

http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1123555/beijing-news-night-sorrow

South China Morning Post posted:

Dai Zigeng, the Communist Party official who serves as publisher of The Beijing News, co-owned by Southern Media Group, announced his resignation last night after propaganda authorities forced the newspaper to print a Global Times editorial in today's edition, according to multiple statements made online early Wednesday morning by Beijing News journalists.

Global Times belongs to the Communist Party's People's Daily mouthpiece newspaper and the editorial in question, which appeared Sunday, tries to blame the recent resistance to censorship and interference by propaganda officials on meddling by 'foreign forces'.

Propaganda authorities issued an order this past weekend requiring an unknown number of daily newspapers throughout the country to run the editorial in their January 8 edition, but only a small number of newspapers complied.

Personally, I think the SCMP is getting dodgier and its credibility ruined alot more ever since the Wang Xiangwei was hired on board. Or that the pro Beijing real estate developers have a major stake in it. Oh :china: It's not like there are other papers around the block.

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 9, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
He will go work for the Apple Daily.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hong Kong's Chief Executive just had a 2 hour policy address. Since I was transcribing parts of it for the thread, might as well just post it here. TLDR: More economic cooperation with China, spend more money on local welfare and social services. Don't touch political reform. Minor legislation on LGBT issues but religious people can still voice their hate based on freedom of speech.

He doesn't mention anything much new from before. However he is mentioning of enhancing more government links g2g from HK to other China provincial capital government links. Apparently he wants HK to join some "Eastern coopeartion bloc" with Chile and Russia?

He is trying to enhance RMB investment and possibilities, create a larger Zhuhai-Macau-HK tri city state link. And of course, he's really good at increasing more government appointments in all sorts of departments like the economic advisory board :iiam:

Increase shipping lane and possibilities, and a stronger logistics arm, not much diversity in other investments like Singapore

On social welfare and medical needs - "yes there's a shortage of medical workers and we will work on that" - how? No announcements of more schools opening or increase intake of doctors and nurses.

However he does mentioning of opening more medical clinics or models for mainland government to enhance China's medicine, that way local resources won't be strained

On intellectual property, wants to have HK a stronger intellectual property base and certifications :( With CEPA more investment in local testing offices for mainland products.

Small businesses of HK in China - HK will help investment and develop. So bull poo poo as we have to play China rules and pay in their bribes

I didn't catch them from the start, but no plans on universal suffrage, minority rights, LGBT issues

More on housing. Yes we live in shoeboxes and subdivided flats

FUCCCCK HERE WE GO - some guy is playing noises and distracting Allan Leung. Motion raised

Longhair getting kicked out. Yep. And of course he has to shout a few slogans before he gets dragged out.

Back to housing again. Boohoo those poor people in horrible conditions. Yes we know, but what does he plan on rectifying the situation? Back in the day lots of public housing estates were made.

University students now are also interested in subsided housing. The government is useless in short term to solve the housing shortage. So it's establishing another committee to assess the amount of illegal houses. Well? Is he going to make more public housing?

"Some people think renting is perfectly fine, but I disagree". So he would have more ways for lower income people to get housing yet no mention of middle class housing. And of course in the mean time protect the real estate industry. More bullshit about not rocking the boat.

He wants 75,000 units of subsided housing. And plans for more. 2018 He wants to have 100,000 units of government housing. PRIORITY FOR HK PEOPLE. (that's a jab against new immigrants...) Development in Sha tin. And Sha Tau Kok (by the border near SZ)

Every year he wants an average of 22,000. Next year he is releasing 2100 units (in tsing yi if i recall, but drat expensive). However there's a income ceiling of 20,000 hkd. (NO HOUSE FOR YOU BLOODNOSE)

co worker on chat is telling me how this is all bull poo poo as all these units are actually private housing prices.

More parkland and greenery. By strategically landfilling places? Hope I was wrong :(

HERE WE GO DEVELOP NORTH EAST. KICK OUT THOSE VILLAGERS AND DEVELOP THAT LAND FOR HK NEEDS. Lot of people pissed in the office.

"Not everyone will agree 100% but it's a need we need to establish", "If supply is not ample, the demand will skew the market prices"

Some talk about GIC to rezone into residential areas. But is he announcing anything about abolishing those archaic villager plot entitlements?

He's going to fast track land rezoning laws. For instance, changing land use in tin shui wai into something more effective. For instance making a mall, hotel or some thing... :iaam:

Restricing new land development permits of Pokfulam and Mid levels where as develop other areas.

In the past 3 years the government approved 57 cases of rezoning and turning some old factories in appartments (:laffo: it's luxury housing)

He wants to develop Cha guo ling, kowloon east, but turn it into a private investment for offices, malls and private residences (hint, it's for real estate developers for luxury flats, other buildings are made in token value -look at Olympic)

Mentioning of North East district development for HK land for HK people. Where's my democracy and vote?

There is land which is zoned for environment but he wants to use the remaining land to revitalise, yuen long, fanling. And turn land into temporary ware houses.

Builing lantau. With the new Tri Bridge, West North of HK is a development. Tung Chung (town next to airport). Wants to enlarge Tung Chung as a point network and logistics for PRD,

To protect the environment he's going to dredge the ocean and reclaim more? And dredge other coastal areas... :wtf:

Still no mentioning of abolishing the guaranteed land entitlements for village males.

On Kaitak the old airport peninsula. He wants to make a entertainment centre? So what is that? a cruise terminal? A park?

A Victoria harbour committee. He welcomes a harbour committee suggestions to develop the harbour? By? Parks? bike lanes? area protection? Activities? Geeze.

On protecting cultural relics. He wants a larger planning and working close to establishing ties with private owners of cultural architecture.

There's a huge effort and hurdle for HK to trample HK's living conditions for more housing and hospitals. "I guarantee I'm with everyone on this issue"

For the underclass, he will not use a high tax system or a progressive tax system. He will have meetings and committees for better future planning. There will be 6 groups to research and reduce poverty

On social assistance (welfare), the safety net should be examined, for instance turning the low income transport subsidy to a family subsidy. But needs to be careful inorder to protect the treasury

On pensions, and helping the eldery retire. He wants to add an additional fund instead of fruit money. The Mandatory provided fund is established in 12 years. Some people are angered by the funds, he's seeing if he can lower the fees.

OH SNAP - INTERMISSION, SOME GUY IS CARRYING placards and stuff. got moved out

Using government charity to help "N-nothings" those with no permanent residency but broke rear end poor in HK limbo.

Having more geriatrics and working private/public hospitals for more beds and old people. He will turn Wong Chuk Hang clinic into a elderly centre.

If elders wish to live in Guangdong and parts of China. HK will investigate how to continue payments into those old folks in RMB land

On disabilities, increase resources and see if hospitals in tuen mun and kwun tong can be expanded into a recovery center/dorm for disabled people. And have training (no blind massages)

There will be a extra subsidy for people with disabilities. No mention of legal reform and discrimination laws :(

2013, more bus services and shuttle services. Reducing costs for kids under 12 and old people with disabilities.

He wants to make medical services catering to old people more attractive.

On youth with no jobs/education, the government made 3500 posts for temporary jobs. He will add more temp jobs and spend 22 billion hk to find proper employment

He is pro low income people. More transport subsidies. Make a employment centre in Tung Chung. God drat this address is long. He's just running around in circles

MEN CAN NOW APPLY 3 DAYS OF "maternity leave" drat I sounding chingrishy, i was going to type "pregnant leave". He wants to fast track this into legislation

On workers, he wants a long term worker investment or training.

On foreign domestic helpers, he will CANCEL THE GOVERNMENT HEAD TAX. Which will reduce government coffers by 15 billion. No mention of able to apply for permanent residency (i guess the law shot them down?? ugh)

To improve our livlihoods, we need more sacrifices. (no mention of political reform). On women, they are a major contributor and he wants to establish more training centers to train house wives. ENGLISH AND PUTONGHUA LESSONS FOR HOUSE WIVES AND MINOIRITIES[i]. Dude english teaching goons, come to HK and get a new job~~ Too bad Cantonese is linguistically mess for romanization

On minorities, they can speak and listen Chinese but can't read. The government is planning on establishing training centers.

[i]homosexuals
- government is trying to legislate laws to protect. It understands that some religious bigots are being effected but... it has no stance to interfere with religion? Hope the laws are not stalled

HK it beautiful~~ it can be the cutest city ever 最可愛~ On disposing trash, air quality and emission standards and laws will be examined. More low carbon healthy city. But no mentioning of nuclear power and reducing coal powerplant in lantau. And work with China authorities. 2017 will examine the coal power plant. Hmm..

On old diesel fuels, they are polluting and bad. The government's plan on clash for clunkers is not successful. He wants to spend 100 billion to reduce diesel fuels and reach Euro emission standards. Does that mean he is going for Euro VI disel? And make a 15 year retirement plan for diesel engines

The government is trying to go for zero emission buses, and is experimenting on zero emission taxis and vehicles. Wants a "green transportation". Buses will be supplementary form of transportation to reduce road pollution. Does this mean he wants more metro services (and links to real esate deals... ugh)

Boat talk. Change the way how boats can dock. And request compliance with China authorities to use cleaner fuels

Kaitak is going to be a cruise terminal. Yep. And request to switch to Electricity

HK is out of land and refills are piling up soon within 10 years. Reduce government waste. But does that mean mandatory recycling? No mention of nuclear power. He wants more recycling and start a recycling export business

To protect marine life, the government will ban deep sea trawling. And spend 50 million to subsidize fishers.

Education wise, the change of education to 3-3-4 system is a success. Grading wise in math, reading HK is doing well and is the 3rd in the world :iiam: Increase more diplomas and placements. HK will support everyone and that everyone should be able to continue education regardless of family income.

With the declining new students, the government will not close schools and go for smaller school system?

From 9 years of free schooling, he wants to extend to 15 years of free schooling. And increase education expertise of Kindergarden teachers. So that everyone has access to quality kindergarden (private kindergardens in HK are money printing scams involving white faces)

2013/2014 he will increase funding of each school from a million/year to 1.5 million Bloodnose, more textbook money!

Medical services wise, he wants health care to remain mostly privatized. With supplementary public care. Subsidized Private care is best care.

150 new emergency beds, 350 regular beds increase for public hospitals. Expanding and rebuilding current hospitals and build another new one in Tuen Mun

[i]Rebuild Kwai Chung Psychiatric hospital
- Perfect for you PRO PRC when you talk about HK politics

More land will be opened up for private hospitals, yet increase regulatory powers of Food and Hygene department

Invest more money in Chinese medicine and make them more professional and develop a Chinese/Western medicine. :laffo:

Introduce a voluntary universal health care plan within the coming year.

Here we go, introduce rail transport. For longterm planning, railway is main, buses are supplementary. More trains everywhere, and lengthening more lines. So that over 70% of the population can utilize. Over 1 billion will be spent.

The Mass Transport Rail corporation is a publicly traded company but has a special role. Every 5 years the ticket price will be re-evalued. And a public committee with examine MTR price hikes and pricing structure.

HK is a unique cultural snow flake of Western and China. On cultural exports like Cantonese Opera, HK should develop its cultural export. It's a open society with free flow of information (god dammit, where's my vote).

HK tv dramas are a cultural staple of overseas Chinese communities for decades :suicide: Times are tougher for local production but it's time for the government to step in and keep the entertainment industry (ie, TVB and EEG) alive. Just like Singapore, China and Korea.

Another 20 million on spending. To encourage local artists, wong chuk hang will have reduced subsidized rates for artists to rent their studios. West Kowloon cultural hub will be a world hub. 150 million will be spent to develop the art scene.

Increase HK as a sports hub and sponsor international women's tennis and sports event to make HK a better place for everyone. More sports events, no talk of more playgrounds or whatever.

He wants local problems to be solved locally. WELL WHERE'S MY VOTE GODDAMIT. Have local district councillors have greater powers.

2016 All appointments will be abolished. With increased funding in local district councillors, a one time fund injection of over 20 million will be made for each district.

The government have different tarriffs on different facilities due to 2 departments there will be a uniform pricing based on the lower price. Reduce income of 70 million.

:siren: Politics :siren:

Increase the amount of civil service hirings as they are the ones facing the most pressure from the public. Increase funding for their training to make a stronger government

On freedom of the press, he will retain freedom of the press. Fucker spent barely any time talking about reforming functional constituencies and universal suffrage.

Improving our livelihoods means improving the economy. Not talk about re-election and 2017 agenda.

:siren: No mention of universal suffrage. at all. Unless it was the beginning, which I suspect not. Veiled praises of HK's open society :siren:

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 16, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

On Kaitak the old airport peninsula. He wants to make a entertainment centre? So what is that? a cruise terminal? A park?
Haven't they been talking about making Kai Tak some kind of "entertainment complex" of one type or another for literally the past 14 years?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, there's a policy address here. Oh well at least it didn't mention merging Chinese and Western medicine together to form unified medicare. A lot of money will be invested in Chinese medicine to make them more "professional".

http://www.policyaddress.gov.hk/2013/eng/highlights.html

The Kai Tak strip will turn into a cruise terminal and some sort of sport stadium. And Racial harmony guidelines are being prepared for employers since the city struck out the racial discrimination law. Yep HK is kind of behind, people show their bigoted colours really really easily.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What the hell happened here?

SCMP posted:

A Hong Kong man has been charged with smuggling sensitive military lasers stolen from American army bases back into the United States.

It is not clear how Andy Leung Kwok-kuen, 38, got hold of the lasers, which pinpoint a target when attached to a firearm, because they are manufactured and sold under exclusive contracts to the US military or other law enforcement agencies.

Maybe it's just the word 'military lasers' that makes this sound so ridiculous, but who would he even sell this stuff to? The description makes it sound like laser sights, but there's this bit about how "This technology is so sensitive that, if in the wrong hands, it can pose a threat to our national security" that makes it sound like a bigger deal.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

What the hell happened here?

Maybe it's just the word 'military lasers' that makes this sound so ridiculous, but who would he even sell this stuff to? The description makes it sound like laser sights, but there's this bit about how "This technology is so sensitive that, if in the wrong hands, it can pose a threat to our national security" that makes it sound like a bigger deal.

It's total hyperbole. It's just an IR laser sight, which is a laser sight like pretty much anything you can buy, except it can only be seen when wearing NVGs. The military uses them because it gives you a laser sight that you can use at night without giving away you positions, and it also shows up nice on the FLIR of air support etc, which makes it good for designating targets, but it's really not that big of a deal for them to be in civilian hands. In fact there are plenty of people that own them.

They're regulated by the FDA and can't be sold directly to civilians because of danger; it's a laser that you can't see but can still gently caress up your eyes really bad. However they're not illegal to own apparently, and if you run across one being sold as suplus by a police department or something you can buy them.

However, because they're fairly scare, people in the US do pay a fair amount for them. The issue here isn't the item itself, it's that they were stolen from the US. That agent is just talking up the find to make it seem important.

Edit: I do think that they may be technically something that are not supposed to be sold overseas without permission, and there may also be some rules regarding weapon components/accessories being taken into the US, so there are a number of potential legal issues here, but it's not functionally that different from a really good laser pointer, so calling it a significant threat to national security is total bullshit.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 17, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

caberham posted:

MEN CAN NOW APPLY 3 DAYS OF "maternity leave" drat I sounding chingrishy, i was going to type "pregnant leave". He wants to fast track this into legislation.
Hahahahahaha, wow, an entire 3 days, why, whatever will they do with all that time?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Hahahahahaha, wow, an entire 3 days, why, whatever will they do with all that time?

The school I work at offers five days, which I am currently using at a rate of one per week.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Just a fun reminder, that is still infinitely more time than one can take in the US.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

The school I work at offers five days, which I am currently using at a rate of one per week.
Hey dude, congrats on the kid and sorry for the terrible laws.

LP97S posted:

Just a fun reminder, that is still infinitely more time than one can take in the US.
I keep forgetting that the US operates along some kinda serfdom rules that literally no-one else in the first world does. Here both parents get 3 months standard and can then share 3 months between each other and they both get pregnancy pay which is, what 80% of the normal pay? Yeah, I'm remembering that right, gods has it been long since I looked that up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Not exactly true. FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act, thanks Hilary!) allows you to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave a year to care for sick relatives, yourself, a new baby or new adoption/foster child and still come back to a job (either the same one or one with the same pay/benefits/responsibilities) if you work at a company with more than 50 employees. Most people use accrued sick or vacation time or both, if they have it.

Granted, most jobs that give you either only give you two weeks vacation and maybe a handful of sick days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
More animal cruelty. :smith:

SCMP posted:

“I don’t want to be a crocodile in China,” said a netizen .

BUT! :unsmith:

SCMP posted:

the park denied any crocodiles had been killed, claiming it's a false statement made by an overworked staffer.