Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This series of The Hour was far better than the last. It really deserved to be on BBC One. I thought the finale, though, was overly bleak and uncompromising. But that could just be because we're used to predictable endings on British TV.

I felt the final scene with Freddy laying on the ground on the verge of death was quite a blatant attempt by the writer to force the BBC into commissioning a third series Is Freddy dead??? Will he and Bel ever get together???

If ever there was a case of BBC needing to ignore viewing figures and continuing with a programme because of its quality, then this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

McDragon posted:

Yeah, to me Bill Bailey just comes off as knowing a bunch of interesting things really.

He's not afraid to play the fool either, so I doubt he gives a gently caress about getting the answers right. I'd be very surprised if it was him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

piratepilates posted:

How does Angus Deayton keep getting work? He's not particularly bad at anything but he's just...there. He can't say anything that really comes out funny, he can't seem to deliver any line with any emotion what so ever, he doesn't come up with anything on the spot either. I'm sure he's quite good at doing things in as few takes as possible but surely there's someone out there who can do that while also coming off as more than a granite slab.

Like you watch the new Would I Lie to You with Rob Brydon presenting and go back and watch Deayton present it and it's like night and day, Brydon can actually read lines with some feeling and come up with things on the spot and be funny.

He was involved in several incredibly funny and well done programs that knocked about in the late eighties and early nineties before HIGNFY.

Most recent thing I saw him in was the last series of Nighty Nighty over half a decade ago now.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

piratepilates posted:

How does Angus Deayton keep getting work? He's not particularly bad at anything but he's just...there. He can't say anything that really comes out funny, he can't seem to deliver any line with any emotion what so ever, he doesn't come up with anything on the spot either. I'm sure he's quite good at doing things in as few takes as possible but surely there's someone out there who can do that while also coming off as more than a granite slab.

Like you watch the new Would I Lie to You with Rob Brydon presenting and go back and watch Deayton present it and it's like night and day, Brydon can actually read lines with some feeling and come up with things on the spot and be funny.

Personally I would love to see him presenting HIGNFY again if only as a guest presenter. It would either be awesome compelling TV or a train wreck. What's not to love?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Deayton is, was, and ever shall be a sub par ham.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In QI, it really does seem that Bill is very knowledgeable about animals/biology. I remember he told a story of how his wife got him a fossilized dinosaur egg as a present, so it definitely seems like it's something he's very interested in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ddraig posted:

In QI, it really does seem that Bill is very knowledgeable about animals/biology. I remember he told a story of how his wife got him a fossilized dinosaur egg as a present, so it definitely seems like it's something he's very interested in.

He's also spoke of collecting insects in the past. I don't know how he found time to learn to play so many instruments.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

He's also spoke of collecting insects in the past. I don't know how he found time to learn to play so many instruments.

Well, it was kind of his job. I guess he wanted something else as a hobby.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

thehustler posted:

Whaaaaat the gently caress I totally missed that! Why did they do two consecutive days?!

I had as well, just watched it. Pretty much in agreement with everything Quanta said.

Capaldi and Chancellor probably won't get a mention elsewhere due to what happened but they were fantastic in that last episode.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

Me and my friend watched the Adult Babies documentary and were suitably horrified. But at the end when the owners of the 'nursery' unveiled their brand new S&M dungeon, my friend was really shocked and covering her mouth and hyperventilating, like 'noooooooo how can anyone be this hosed up??' and I just sat there thinking...'well duh, of course they have one! They enjoy dressing up as babies and wanking each other off, why on earth wouldn't they have an S&M dungeon?' And that's when I realised that the internet has taken away my innocence :(

Also the opening bit was filmed just up the road from me, so the next trip into Portsmouth will be a bit unsettling. Definitely won't be going anywhere near Mothercare.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I had to turn that adult baby thing off after a few minutes.

I mean, I make no bones about enjoying a good ol' Boy-with-an-arse-for-a-face gawk-a-thon, but CHRIST. I just couldn't take the perpetual cringe.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Watched a couple of minutes of the adult babies and switched over to Question Time. Couldn't decided wether watching grown men dressing up as babies was worse than Peter Hitchens talking poo poo for a full hour.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Fazana posted:

Capaldi and Chancellor probably won't get a mention elsewhere due to what happened but they were fantastic in that last episode.

Absolutely. The last scene they had together was incredible.

And yeah, I'd like to see another series if they've got a story to go with it. I think the ending they went with was ambiguous enough that it would work either way.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I had to turn that adult baby thing off after a few minutes.

I mean, I make no bones about enjoying a good ol' Boy-with-an-arse-for-a-face gawk-a-thon, but CHRIST. I just couldn't take the perpetual cringe.

I made it as far as the first ad break. I can't believe how uncomfortable that program made me feel.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I didn't find the adult babies that embarrassing or disturbing (you see worse looking at Deviantart for 5 minutes). The blatant pedophile boyfriend of the girl 'baby', on the other hand... :gonk:

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Another good Peep Show, especially the return of the mad handyman and Super Hans' Freecycle dating scheme.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm happy they're treating Super Hans as an actual character in this series.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I kind of liked Hans better when he was just a supplementary character.

He did bring us some golden moments, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ai0d7lABvM

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Out of all the main Jesus helpers, he was the sexy one"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I really loved that episode - I think it was how everyone being an utter poo poo looked like it was actually going to work out great for everyone and then all came tumbling down.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
I'm sort of (okay, not sort of--100%) rooting for Jez and Dobby to get together. As has been discussed earlier, Mark has crossed the line into being completely unsympathetic.

Half expecting the series to end with Dobby and Jez running off to backpack together, but that'd be too much of a victory for Jez.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
Oh, also, as someone from the other side of the pond (who usually loves Andy Samberg): did Cuckoo ever get good after the pilot? Or at least non-terrible?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Cuckoo got better, but was never great. There were a lot of filler characters who never really got funny, and it was easy to find Cuckoo himself very irritating.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Did anyone else notice that episode 5 of Peep Show was on 4od instead of episode 4? It's been taken down now so I presume it was a mistake.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Greg Davies almost single-handedly pulled Cuckoo back from the brink of being absolutely terrible.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
"Are you secretly weird?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Loved the Venetian Snares reference on Peep Show. Didn't love the 'sub Aphex Twin' comparison though :D

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Next week's episode is up on the Channel 4 website, by the way. I'm trying to refrain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where to? It's only showing up to episode 4 in the 4oD section for me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Episode 5

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Whoopsie, just watched it!

I think it was better than this week's episode. Mark really is getting more and more bastardly though.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Cuckoo got better, but was never great. There were a lot of filler characters who never really got funny, and it was easy to find Cuckoo himself very irritating.

I still think the last episode (the stag do I think?) was absolutely fantastic, especially the rendition and Diana Ross bits - but yeah the rest of the series was a poor with the exception of Greg Davis.

Red7 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 17, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gently caress you Doctor Frankenbath!

Still a good episode. We got two or three more episodes to go?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

One left.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't watch on the link provided, just gives me a 'digital rights' error.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Really? time has gone by that fast wow.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, can't remember my password for 4od and I can't really be arsed to sort it out. Gonna just wait and watch it on the telly. Think I prefer it that way anyway, but thanks for the link all the same.

QI XL was really good last night. That reverend guy was awesome.

Also I've been working through my backlog of NMTB and I know people don't rate it much these days, but I still really like it. The intros and the identity parade are basically my favourite bits, and they've hardly changed, so for me it's still pretty good. Still miss Amstell though.

Also also, got round to watching the last Idiot Abroad, but apparently there's another episode that is basically the third one again but with commentary? But it was really good. Karl was being a total dick to Warwick, even more than usual. The bit with the head had me crying with laughter. And the jump at the end was brilliant, where Warwick goes from "loving hell, argh" to "this is amazing" and then once he lands he wants to do it again straight away. And the bit where Karl asks Warwick if he has knees.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really? time has gone by that fast wow.

Yup, to this point, every series was 6 episodes, including next week's on the C4 website, we're at 5.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

McDragon posted:

Ah, can't remember my password for 4od and I can't really be arsed to sort it out. Gonna just wait and watch it on the telly. Think I prefer it that way anyway, but thanks for the link all the same.

QI XL was really good last night. That reverend guy was awesome.

Also I've been working through my backlog of NMTB and I know people don't rate it much these days, but I still really like it. The intros and the identity parade are basically my favourite bits, and they've hardly changed, so for me it's still pretty good. Still miss Amstell though.

Also also, got round to watching the last Idiot Abroad, but apparently there's another episode that is basically the third one again but with commentary? But it was really good. Karl was being a total dick to Warwick, even more than usual. The bit with the head had me crying with laughter. And the jump at the end was brilliant, where Warwick goes from "loving hell, argh" to "this is amazing" and then once he lands he wants to do it again straight away. And the bit where Karl asks Warwick if he has knees.

I do miss the old NMTB, guest panelists on HIGNFY and NMTB just don't cut it. HIGNFY did a good job in the previous seasons but this season has been terrible. NMTB just isnt the same without Mark or Simon :( Also I like Noel but prefer the guy before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The pHo posted:

Loved the Venetian Snares reference on Peep Show. Didn't love the 'sub Aphex Twin' comparison though :D

Haha that's exactly what I thought. I never thought I'd hear Peep Show mentions Snares, oh how times change.