Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Betjeman posted:

For suggestions, I've just bought a Drakonia Sharkoon. My write-up is a few posts above. A few days in and I've got used to the thumb issue, and would still recommend it. It does have a pinky rest.
More expensive in USA than in Europe though. I guess that had to happen sometime!

I love my Sharkoon Fireglider so much i bought a second one, though i might just add that Drakonia to my christmas list.

How is it working out for a large hand btw? I have long fingers and the Fireglider is the first mouse i have ever found comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

My 6 month old SteelSeries Sensei's right click has started intermittently not working unless I press it right at the top of the button over the last few days.

I looked it up and found a few people who've encountered the same thing. Apparently pressing the button in the middle somehow wears out/breaks the mechanism?

Have opened a ticket with them and will see how it goes.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I love my Sharkoon Fireglider so much i bought a second one, though i might just add that Drakonia to my christmas list.

How is it working out for a large hand btw? I have long fingers and the Fireglider is the first mouse i have ever found comfortable.

Fits really well, my hand is 7" from tip of middle finger to base of thumb for comparison. First mouse I've had where I can stretch out my entire hand and my index finger doesn't curl off the end of the mouse. I'd say there's still another half inch of growth there as well :D

EDIT: Looking at the design of that Naga Hex the more and more I don't like it. It appears to exacerbate the problems of the naga - unreachable buttons (4,5,6 look ropey) while removing the standard mouse 4 and 5, and appears to include the DPI switch as part of its 11 button setup, which assuming they are like most DPI switches and require changing your hand on the mouse to reach, only appears to provide 6 easy access buttons, so you're paying a premium for one extra button over a budget mouse, and having to learn a new button layout in the process.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 7, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Betjeman posted:

For suggestions, I've just bought a Drakonia Sharkoon. My write-up is a few posts above. A few days in and I've got used to the thumb issue, and would still recommend it. It does have a pinky rest.
More expensive in USA than in Europe though. I guess that had to happen sometime!

Well, there is already one button on there I just wouldn't use. I like to switch between using my ring and middle ringer for right clicker duty, which would make that right side button useless for me. I don't particularly like the thumb buttons being on the top edge of the thumb area. That's how the RAT's buttons are. I had to consciously roll my thumb to get to the buttons. I also couldn't reach the "sniper" button without twisting my hand to extend my thumb.

I also use a small span grip for the left/right buttons, meaning my two fingers are right there almost on the scroll wheel. Thumb buttons are really the only buttons I want more of. I don't have big hands and they're not getting bigger. At 6" from the base of my palm to the tip of my ring finger and about 4-4 1/2" wide palm.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 7, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mush Man posted:

My five and a half year old Logitech MX 3200 mouse has started having clicking issues. Sometimes it double-clicks on a single click, doesn't click at all on a single click and releases a click when I'm holding down. It's about time I got a new one.

You never got an answer so I'm pulling this from the previous page, it's useful to know for anyone with a Logitech mouse really. Pick up the mouse and whack the bottom of it hard against the palm of your hand. Bam, your mouse is fixed!

I bought one of these a while back as an emergency mouse for my laptop, it's lasted surprisingly well but the scroll wheel is awful.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

SlayVus posted:

Well, there is already one button on there I just wouldn't use. I like to switch between using my ring and middle ringer for right clicker duty, which would make that right side button useless for me. I don't particularly like the thumb buttons being on the top edge of the thumb area. That's how the RAT's buttons are. I also use a small span grip for the left/right buttons, meaning my two fingers are right there almost on the scroll wheel. Thumb buttons are really the only buttons I want more of.

I don't have big hands and they're not getting bigger. At 6" from the base of my palm to the tip of my ring finger and about 4-4 1/2" wide palm.

Understandable, I tried to be as objective and descriptive as possible.

I am intrigued by the G600, if I knew of its existence before getting my latest I might have given it a punt. I generally like Logitech mice. Not having a mouse 4/5 button is a bit of a turn-off for me though because I use them so frequently. One I was looking at, but didn't get because I'd want to see how I would get on with the three buttons on top of the left mouse button, is the G700 - has just the right number of thumb buttons for me (4), and if those top buttons could be used effectively as modifiers, it would be a winner. However, based on my less than stellar experience with expensive mice before, I wouldn't buy it without a trial. Also it's cordless, and I've had some poor experiences with cordless mice in the past.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Logitech has actively been doing all they can to destroy any confidence I had in their products lately. In the span of two months:

My Logitech G500 mouse that I had been using for a year started having a faulty right click button.

Then for unrelated reasons I bought a G510 keyboard, which shipped with a faulty space bar key (a common problem apparently)

I bought a G9x to replace my G500, after only a month of usage, started double clicking.

Whacking it hard did not fix the issue, Nettle Soup

How are the Steelseries Sensei?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My RAT 7's right button lost all resistance/clickyness in the last week and they expect me to keep the receipt for 2 years to get any support for it.

Keep your receipts guys

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant
I have a M510 but it is often unresponsive in games and sometimes on the desktop. I contacted their support and got a replacement, but I have the same drat problem. Maybe I should just give up and get a wired mouse again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

I have a M510 but it is often unresponsive in games and sometimes on the desktop. I contacted their support and got a replacement, but I have the same drat problem. Maybe I should just give up and get a wired mouse again.

Have you tried using the PS/2 input instead of USB or different USB ports? I usually only get weirdness with my mouse when USB is getting clogged up with something else, even though that shouldn't happen.

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Rexxed posted:

Have you tried using the PS/2 input instead of USB or different USB ports? I usually only get weirdness with my mouse when USB is getting clogged up with something else, even though that shouldn't happen.
Well, there is no PS/2 input as far as I know. Just little USB receiver. Anway, I have tried switching ports to no avail. Could be something environmental that is disrupting the signal, since I doubt two of the same mouse would have the same failure.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

Well, there is no PS/2 input as far as I know. Just little USB receiver. Anway, I have tried switching ports to no avail. Could be something environmental that is disrupting the signal, since I doubt two of the same mouse would have the same failure.

Oh sorry, didn't realize that there was a wireless model, I was looking at the MX510 web page. It could be environmental since it's wireless, look for stuff that's in the same band that could be causing issues. It looks like it's 2.4ghz so it could be wifi signals, cordless phones, or even something innocuous like a microwave being used nearby.

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Rexxed posted:

Oh sorry, didn't realize that there was a wireless model, I was looking at the MX510 web page. It could be environmental since it's wireless, look for stuff that's in the same band that could be causing issues. It looks like it's 2.4ghz so it could be wifi signals, cordless phones, or even something innocuous like a microwave being used nearby.
I was afraid it might be wifi signals. The mouse is basically between the wireless router and my PC with wireless card. Not much I can do about that either. Maybe a stupid question, but do mice come in different bands - like, could I get one that doesn't conflict with wireless?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

I was afraid it might be wifi signals. The mouse is basically between the wireless router and my PC with wireless card. Not much I can do about that either. Maybe a stupid question, but do mice come in different bands - like, could I get one that doesn't conflict with wireless?

There's a few options. The easiest would be to switch wifi channels on your router, which might move the wifi signal away from the mouse signal (I don't know what channel the mouse will be fighting with but presumably moving it away from its current setting will work). I'm running a channel 10 router next to my cordless phone and I don't seem to have any interference, but when it was on channel 6 it would have some static on the phone. I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth the mouse will need but hopefully it's not more than a couple of channels worth like wifi usually is.

You could also upgrade to all 5ghz wifi stuff, but that requires buying new equipment. You could also purchase a bluetooth or 5ghz band mouse, though that also requires a new purchase and may limit your options. Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4ghz band so it could have similar troubles to your current mouse.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

Daynab posted:

Logitech has actively been doing all they can to destroy any confidence I had in their products lately. In the span of two months:

My Logitech G500 mouse that I had been using for a year started having a faulty right click button.

Yea my G500 is doing the double/single/no click after a bit less than a year as well. Perhaps a bad batch of switches they got in?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Daynab posted:

Then for unrelated reasons I bought a G510 keyboard, which shipped with a faulty space bar key (a common problem apparently)

I bought a G9x to replace my G500, after only a month of usage, started double clicking.

Whacking it hard did not fix the issue, Nettle Soup

How are the Steelseries Sensei?

My G500 also developed a bad click after a year or so. Support must get a bunch of these because they sent me a replacement really quick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've got an M500 that's about 3 years old, and the pads have decided to run away due to the adhesive going bad; I've only got one left, and it's starting to interfere with my mousing. Does anyone make replacement pads for this thing? I can't seem to find any on Google or Amazon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fucknag posted:

I've got an M500 that's about 3 years old, and the pads have decided to run away due to the adhesive going bad; I've only got one left, and it's starting to interfere with my mousing. Does anyone make replacement pads for this thing? I can't seem to find any on Google or Amazon.

I can't find any for that particular model but there's various mouse feet pre-cut on ebay (I also can't vouch for the quality of random mouse feet from Hong Kong). If you compared the current feet to some of the listings one might be the same (or close enough).
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=mouse+feet&rt=nc

What I used to do for my mouseman when the feet wore down was use some of the generic frag tape style mouse feet stuff. It's kind of thin if you buy a roll, so I'd cut a tiny piece of masking tape to build a little height and then put a layer or two of frag tape on. It worked pretty well but it wore out faster than the harder plastic feet the mice come with. There's a couple of mouse feet products being sold on amazon right now that might do the job if you feel like getting creative:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mouse+feet

If this image of the bottom of the mouse is correct:

then it looks like these feet might fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Corepad-Skatez-Logitech-MX1000-replacement/dp/B007CMX754/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355249216&sr=8-4&keywords=mouse+feet
though I've never used that particular brand.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aha, I'd seen something similar linked on Amazon UK, but had no luck finding it on the US site (and gently caress paying $35 total with overseas shipping, I could get a new mouse for that.) Many thanks!

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Just retired my 4-6 year old G5 for a G500. Feels like I should shoot the guy off to space, but it's still alive and clicking.

With that said, I adore the fact that the latest Logitech software doesn't support the G500 (as in can't program macros) and I'm using some old version.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vty posted:

Just retired my 4-6 year old G5 for a G500. Feels like I should shoot the guy off to space, but it's still alive and clicking.

With that said, I adore the fact that the latest Logitech software doesn't support the G500 (as in can't program macros) and I'm using some old version.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I unboxed a G400 I won from World of Tanks the other day to put on a second PC and I was surprised it used "Logitech Gaming Software" which is different than SetPoint that I use with the G500 on this PC. The software was also like 100 megs which seems excessive as hell even with profile switching and stuff. There must be an industry move to make driver installers as annoyingly huge as printer drivers or something. At least it's not nagging me about registration yet.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I just wanted to thank all you people that mentioned the ROCCAT Kova (+). Just came in today and already liking it.

I spell good

Backno fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 12, 2012

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Backno posted:

So I just wanted to thank all you people that mentioned the ROCCAT Kova (+). Just came in today and already linking it.

Oh yeah :smug:

Glad you like it

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I have a G9 and my mouse 4 button has been unreliable recently. I sort of fixed the problem by adding duct tape to the inside of the case to make it easier to push the button. I'm hoping when I find my other case its just an issue with this one being worn out and not me having to buy a new mouse.

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
I got bit by 'try-every-drat-mouse-out-its.' I was originally using an Anywhere MX. I don't know why but I became very picky about the sensitivity and accuracy and whatnot. I went through the Performance MX and returned it. The adjustable precision and DPI did nothing for me.

I think a lot of it deals with how the mouse rests in your hand. The Performance MX is too bulky and awkward for me. Also the laser sensor was off center which was also weird for me.

For me, the precision and speed of Intellipoint with BlueTrack were just *spot on*, but for whatever reason none of the top end BlueTrack's have scroll wheel lock. Just free spin wheel. Completely :downs:

I had to have enough buttons for 'show desktop', 'minimize', and the much coveted "Instant Viewer" the best OSX Expose alternative for Windows hands down: only available to MS mice with Intellipoint running. Completely unavailable to other mice. I finally found an AutoHotkey hack with some registry hack. It took me a long time to find it. If anybody needs it, I will hunt it down for you.

TL;DR: After messing around with MS Mice, I found a combination of Intellipoint's tracking with SetPoint's mouse speed settings which worked with perfect precision for me, found an AutoHotkey that assigns a keystroke to Left and Right mouse buttons being pressed, giving me 4th button functionality needed on my Anywhere MX which was not big and bulky and $100 like the Performance one.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Betjeman posted:

I just wanted to jump in and say that I got the Drakonia on your suggestion (to replace my long-in-the-tooth DeathAdder and I'm quite happy. I enjoy the form (reminds me of my beloved MX 1000 mouse from long ago that outlasted its charging station) and the default weight is nice. The pattern on it, the dragon scales, is a bit silly but doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I got a new Roccat Kova+ to replace my old Razer Lachesis. I really hate the DPI settings because for me 1600 is too slow while 3200 is too fast. My old mouse was set at 2800, which felt just right.

I like how compact and light it is, though. It doesn't bulge into my hand like the Lachesis.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a RAT7, and used it for about a week and a half. I really loved the weight system, but the thing was not comfortable at all. It has too many hard edges and it just annoys your palms and fingers. I'm the laziest person in the world, and that's why I used it for over a week just hoping I would get used to it. I just got fed up and took it back.

Picked up a Steelseries Sensei and it's a million times better. It very comfortable from the start, and it just seems smoother overall. The exactaim function seems to be helping a bit as well. I didn't know it came with all these weird options. The only thing I'm missing is the weight system. I really liked how "solid" the RAT7 felt. If Steelseries could come out with this and a weight system, I'd buy 10 of em and use them for life.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What's the deal with laser vs. infrared optical? I've owned both and haven't really noticed that much of a difference (aside from the Lachesis' [laser] greater DPI customization and annoying Z-tracking where the cursor will move if you pick it up and drop it--the Kova [optical] does this much less and the Diamondback [also optical] didn't do it at all). A lot of people seem to insist that one is much better than the other.

Philthy posted:

Picked up a RAT7, and used it for about a week and a half. I really loved the weight system, but the thing was not comfortable at all. It has too many hard edges and it just annoys your palms and fingers. I'm the laziest person in the world, and that's why I used it for over a week just hoping I would get used to it. I just got fed up and took it back.

Picked up a Steelseries Sensei and it's a million times better. It very comfortable from the start, and it just seems smoother overall. The exactaim function seems to be helping a bit as well. I didn't know it came with all these weird options. The only thing I'm missing is the weight system. I really liked how "solid" the RAT7 felt. If Steelseries could come out with this and a weight system, I'd buy 10 of em and use them for life.

The R.A.T. 7 looks like it was made for the hands of Cylon Centurions rather than humans. I can't imagine it being comfortable.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 16, 2012

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I'm looking to buy a new mouse. I've previously used the MX518. My current mouse is the Steelseries Ikari optical.

I've always found the MX518's shape somewhat odd/uncomfortable, and I needed to shift my grip a bit to hit the thumb buttons.

The Ikari optical was better in most ways. I like its lighter weight, and my thumb rests just under the thumb buttons, making them really easy to hit. The only really bad thing about it is that I need to lift it off the surface too much to re-position the mouse, and its shape makes it more difficult to do so. It has also developed an odd stickiness on the right button.

I'm interested in the Sensei Raw. For those who have tried or are currently using one, what are your thoughts? What are other good options at a similar price?

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
I've been using a Razer Imperator for the past two years and like it quite a bit. Very lightweight, simple programming options if you want them and the LEDs can be turned off.

No problems I can think of to date.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Woolie Wool posted:

What's the deal with laser vs. infrared optical? I've owned both and haven't really noticed that much of a difference (aside from the Lachesis' [laser] greater DPI customization and annoying Z-tracking where the cursor will move if you pick it up and drop it--the Kova [optical] does this much less and the Diamondback [also optical] didn't do it at all). A lot of people seem to insist that one is much better than the other.

The R.A.T. 7 looks like it was made for the hands of Cylon Centurions rather than humans. I can't imagine it being comfortable.

It's very comfortable but requires a lot of adjustment (Which is what it's designed for anyway)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wax On posted:

I've been using a Razer Imperator for the past two years and like it quite a bit. Very lightweight, simple programming options if you want them and the LEDs can be turned off.

No problems I can think of to date.

I have the same mouse. Most people find some of the Razer mice break quickly, but I am very happy with the quality and durability of my Imperator.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this, but I'm looking a new mousepad, specifically one that is thin, and will allow the mouse to glide extremely easily. I also want it to be big. I love my current mousepad, which is some off brand glitter looking one from microcenter, but its kinda small.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Have you checked out the Steelseries Qck? It's quite big and it's fairly thin.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

It's very comfortable but requires a lot of adjustment (Which is what it's designed for anyway)

For me, it didn't have any way to adjust the upper palm, rather than the lower which can go in and out, and even up and down. But the upper is just "set". The ring and pinky finger were also uncomfortable as well. The tray add-on was your only choice. If they had it adjustable like the thumb tray, it may have solved it. It was just not round enough overall, I guess.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

alternate.eago posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this, but I'm looking a new mousepad, specifically one that is thin, and will allow the mouse to glide extremely easily. I also want it to be big. I love my current mousepad, which is some off brand glitter looking one from microcenter, but its kinda small.

Depends on your mouse. Some mice are better with soft pads, some with hard pads. If your mouse likes soft pads I'd recommend the Razer Goliathus.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
I've got a logitech mx revolution and the rf dangle broke on it. Everything else on the mouse works great. Is there any where to find a replacement? Logitech and ebay both seem to have them but they are for a different revision than mine (I have one of the earlier ones- circa 2006/2007.) ideas?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BabyJesus posted:

I've got a logitech mx revolution and the rf dangle broke on it. Everything else on the mouse works great. Is there any where to find a replacement? Logitech and ebay both seem to have them but they are for a different revision than mine (I have one of the earlier ones- circa 2006/2007.) ideas?

Pop off an e-mail and ask if the more recent ones work with yours. If you're lucky, they'll just send you a replacement everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Woolie Wool posted:

Depends on your mouse. Some mice are better with soft pads, some with hard pads. If your mouse likes soft pads I'd recommend the Razer Goliathus.

I use the Goliathus with my Roccat Kova+ and I find it works fantastically.