Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think "digital weapons" is my favorite 40k phrase. "Digital" makes it sound like some incredibly advanced laser thing but really it just means it goes on your finger (and usually happens to be an incredibly advanced laser).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Infoplease posted:

Digital:
1. of or pertaining to a digit or finger.
2. resembling a digit or finger.
3. manipulated with a finger or the fingertips: a digital switch.
4. displaying a readout in digital form: a digital speedometer.
5. having digits or digitlike parts.
6. of, pertaining to, or using data in the form of numerical digits.
7. Computers.involving or using numerical digits expressed in a scale of notation to represent discretely all variables occurring in a problem.
8. of, pertaining to, or using numerical calculations.
Considering four of the top five meanings of the word pertain to fingers, I'd say your perceived definition of the word is what is causing your confusion/amusement.

Also, being as High Gothic is as to our Latin, "digital (digitus) weapon" would pretty much mean "finger weapon."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Considering four of the top five meanings of the word pertain to fingers, I'd say your perceived definition of the word is what is causing your confusion/amusement.

Also, being as High Gothic is as to our Latin, "digital (digitus) weapon" would pretty much mean "finger weapon."

Yes, I know. Are you just being obtuse or do you not realize that the general connotation of the word "digital" is "relating to computers"?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I first saw them I just assumed it was a James Bond laser watch.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, I know. Are you just being obtuse or do you not realize that the general connotation of the word "digital" is "relating to computers"?

Especially in the context of space men with laser guns and stuff.

I actually enjoy Abnett because he's pretty good at re-purposing (or at least re-spelling) archaic terms and then using them to do world-building. It's fun for language nerds buried in his pulp fun for space fantasy nerds.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Arquinsiel posted:

When I first saw them I just assumed it was a James Bond laser watch.

I always pictured it as a ring that shoots lasers. Kinda like The Mandarin from the Iron Man comics.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Nephilm posted:

Lorgar - Became like a god himself, retreating to his own meditations to contemplate the greatness of chaos while leaving the running of his legion to themselves.
Magnus - Controls his legion from the planet of sorcerers while gathering knowledge etc.
Perturabo - Got the fortress world that he wanted and loosely guides his legion from there.
Mortarion - Like Perturabo, but with more roaming.
Fulgrim - They hosed his fluff so we don't even know.

The first two have little desire or need to leave the eye, while the rest do it occasionally but the goal to destroy the Imperium is just not there anymore.

You forgot: Angron - Is angry.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

EyeRChris posted:

I always pictured it as a ring that shoots lasers. Kinda like The Mandarin from the Iron Man comics.

One time in a Trad Games Inquisitor RPG I, as the Inquisitor, lent my digital weapon as collateral to rent out an entire hotel to use as a base of clandestine operations in a foreign city. The owner promptly shot themselves in the face with it because they didnt know it shot lasers & my retinue had to clear the entire hotel of witnesses. Inquisiting is such tedious work.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the Eisonhorn and Ravenor initial books, plus Gaunts Ghosts etc, and the ending of Pariah was decent, I just needed to read through a fair amount of dross to get there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh, no poo poo? Heh, gosh, all that time in the cave must have blunted my knowledge of the phrases the kids are using today!

There - we're even in the smartass-retort department.

The way you phrased your statement didn't necessarily show your knowledge one way or another - and besides, some people might not know what the true meaning is.

Emnity posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the Eisonhorn and Ravenor initial books, plus Gaunts Ghosts etc, and the ending of Pariah was decent, I just needed to read through a fair amount of dross to get there.
I don't know - I'm about a third of the way through so far, and I'm thinking it's pretty good. Like previously stated, Inquisitor novels are less "poo poo going boom" and more intrigue and machinations. That being said, so far there has been a big battle where the "Cognitae" takes down the Maze Undue, Beta literally runs into Ravenor, and the battle between the Warblind and the increasingly awesome Deathrow and his doggy buddy.

I'm not sure what you were expecting when you came into this?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 14, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EyeRChris posted:

Well I was eleven, so "it's a digital laser watch! :pseudo:" made about as much sense as anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, no poo poo? Heh, gosh, all that time in the cave must have blunted my knowledge of the phrases the kids are using today!

There - we're even in the smartass-retort department.

The way you phrased your statement didn't necessarily show your knowledge one way or another - and besides, some people might not know what the true meaning is.

That's on you and your lack of comprehension. If I wasn't aware of the multiple meanings of "digital", then there would be nothing interesting about the phrase. It just wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be worth talking about. The entire point was the irony of a "digital" weapon in a sci-fi setting actually referring to the non-technology-related definition.

You do realize that quoting the loving dictionary at people because you assume (for no reason) that they don't know what certain words mean is incredibly insulting, right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Shut up, everyone knows the dictionary wins arguements :smug:

But really, given how 40k does things the fact that the gun isn't steam powered or or orphan soul powered is probably worth mentioning.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

But really, given how 40k does things the fact that the gun isn't steam powered or or orphan soul powered is probably worth mentioning.

I could swear I remember reading about an orphan-soul-powered machine in some kind of BL thing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but nobody's quite sure how they work and they're mostly made by inscrutable alien orangutans who just spontaneously construct guns for no known reason. It's from the non-grimdark, weird part of 40k.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, but nobody's quite sure how they work and they're mostly made by inscrutable alien orangutans who just spontaneously construct guns for no known reason. It's from the non-grimdark, weird part of 40k.

I think there are digital weapons that weren't made by the Jokaero, like rings that shoot a tiny poison dart or single-shot las round. The Jokaero ones just happen to be significantly more powerful and advanced.

I do wish the Jokaero got some more time in the spotlight, they're a pretty great concept.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I could swear I remember reading about an orphan-soul-powered machine in some kind of BL thing.

You almost have that in Sacrifice. There's a few short stories where you learn that the Grey Knights' armor is sanctified through the sacrifice of psykers and their ammo is also sanctified in the blood of "good" people who are executed.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think there are digital weapons that weren't made by the Jokaero, like rings that shoot a tiny poison dart or single-shot las round. The Jokaero ones just happen to be significantly more powerful and advanced.

I do wish the Jokaero got some more time in the spotlight, they're a pretty great concept.
But the fact that GW made them as Space Orangutans automatically makes them extremely hard to write without making them look like an incredibly stupid idea.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Shroud posted:

You almost have that in Sacrifice. There's a few short stories where you learn that the Grey Knights' armor is sanctified through the sacrifice of psykers and their ammo is also sanctified in the blood of "good" people who are executed.

I think I might actually have been thinking of The Venture Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aBP-JOZsU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shroud posted:

Sacrifice is a damned good story, and a terrific check on the worst of the fanboys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think I might actually have been thinking of The Venture Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aBP-JOZsU
To be honest, that was my inspiration aswell.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Shroud posted:

That's all there since Codex: Daemonhunters.

Polpoto
Oct 14, 2006

So I am about halfway through Betrayer, and I have to say, ADB has once again blown my mind.

The whole morality conflict between Angron and the Emperor is actually pretty awesome to me. The whole concept of Angron admitting the bare truth about how although the Emperor has altruistic motives, he is still a "conquering" hypocrite is amazing. Like Angron says, how noble can someone be when some planets, despite offering peaceful intentions, are ultimately obliterated because they don't want to conform to the Imperium. I always thought of Angron as all about butchering, but once again ADB adds an element of sympathy you have a hard time disagreeing with. The whole basis of the HH seems to be a bunch of sons disappointed in their father and somehow ADB really makes this possible.

As a side note, all the Magnus as 3rd observer stuff makes me sad considering the Thousand Sons are my favorite legion. I only wish Magnus realized his mistake and forgave his father for misunderstanding his own intentions.

Also the fall of Argel Tal is such a giant frownie face. He is someone who could have been noble, despite the machinations of his primarch. And it really saddens me that the death of Cyrene seems to be the main fuel behind his despair.

EDIT: Grammar

Polpoto fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 16, 2012

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.
I finished Betrayer last night, and enjoyed it. I loved the dynamic between Angron and his legion, and how they make it a point of how different it is compared to any other legion. Also, is it just me, or is ADB the only guy who can write Lorgar as something other than a pretentious rear end? He even does great work with Angron. He is more than just BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, and gives a great speech on why he turned traitor, and why he doesn't consider it a betrayal. Before this book, I had always assumed he was just insane. ADB turned one of the weakest primarchs, on a character level at least, into one of the strongest.

There's also a few cameos of Magnus in it, who comes off as a sort of useless Obi Wan, giving advice that Lorgar already knows, and ignores anyway. But he's fun nonetheless.

But it focuses mainly on the Word Bearers and the World Eaters, and even though they are fighting Ultramarines, very little of the book is devoted to them. So while it does, after awhile, feel like they could be fighting any old enemy, it is nice to get book straight from the traitor's point of view. Even this late into the Heresy, we still get loyalist characters going on and on about how unthinkable it is to fight space marines, and how their hearts ache over it. I understand that the characters in the various books may be going through that the first time, but I, as a reader, get a little tired of it in book after book. ADB makes mention of it, but its used nothing more than a way to describe the setting, and works wonderfully, and is less than a sentence long.

Polpoto posted:

Also the fall of Argel Tal is such a giant frownie face. He is someone who could have been noble, despite the machinations of his primarch. And it really saddens me that the death of Cyrene seems to be the main fuel behind his despair.

Yeah, Argel Tal was very guilt ridden. The part where Kharn mentions the bit about the burial shroud just showed the decay of that character. For a man with a demon inside of him, he sure was hollow.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Man it is bullshit that the ebook version costs more than the paperback would. There is practically no overhead! And I doubt ADB is seeing a bigger cut of the profit as a result, so I can't even justify it that way

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 17, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Just finished Wrath of Iron; good book, and a suitably grimdark piece. Liked it better than the previous Wright book I read (Battle for the Fang), which ended on similar note of the Imperium and its institutions enduring while most of the protagonists meet cruel ends.

Moving onto Pariah then Betrayer once I get my grubby hands on it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Doesn't look like I'll be continuing the Night Lords books any time soon. Blood Reaver is going for crazy prices on Amazon. Did this suddenly go out of print or something?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Just finished Pariah.

Holy poo poo. Plot twist/revelation rollercoaster, and it never gets old or implausible!

Though, it does come off as a bit fan-wankery when you the POV on a new character exalting the characters developed in the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series. Still, I much prefer everyone being described as loving awesome than as being walking sex appeal (Revenor trilogy), primarily because, well... Inquisitor warbands really are loving awesome.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Doesn't look like I'll be continuing the Night Lords books any time soon. Blood Reaver is going for crazy prices on Amazon. Did this suddenly go out of print or something?
Yeah, apparently so. The BL site has it as OOS as well. They might be preparing for the collection?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, apparently so. The BL site has it as OOS as well. They might be preparing for the collection?

I'm gonna need confirmation on this before I'm forced to go back to B&N and pick up their copies of the individual paperbacks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

There's approximately a 100% chance that the Night Lords trilogy will become an omnibus fairly soon so I wouldn't stress too much about them being out of print.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Polpoto posted:

So I am about halfway through Betrayer, and I have to say, ADB has once again blown my mind.

The whole morality conflict between Angron and the Emperor is actually pretty awesome to me. The whole concept of Angron admitting the bare truth about how although the Emperor has altruistic motives, he is still a "conquering" hypocrite is amazing. Like Angron says, how noble can someone be when some planets, despite offering peaceful intentions, are ultimately obliterated because they don't want to conform to the Imperium. I always thought of Angron as all about butchering, but once again ADB adds an element of sympathy you have a hard time disagreeing with. The whole basis of the HH seems to be a bunch of sons disappointed in their father and somehow ADB really makes this possible.

As a side note, all the Magnus as 3rd observer stuff makes me sad considering the Thousand Sons are my favorite legion. I only wish Magnus realized his mistake and forgave his father for misunderstanding his own intentions.

EDIT: Grammar

I agree with this pretty much wholeheartedly. It's pretty much why I'm going to have to go back and read his stuff again - especially The First Heretic. I'll also have to read the Space Wolves/Thousand Sons twinned books. I thought both were great.

I think my favorite characters are the various ship Captains and other important figures who have to deal with these demigod figures while being human - admittedly supremely powerful humans, in terms of people at their command - and the conflicts that result from that mess. ADB does that better than almost anyone.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just read Eisenhorn and it was pretty good. I have one complaint though. I wish the final enemy hadn't been Pontius Glaw, I felt like a stretch. I would have liked it to have been just The Inquisition finally coming after him for summoning deamons and for it to end with Eisenhorn as a wanted refugee. I know Halden and Osmo were there in a corner alongside Fischig, but yeah whatevs.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

EyeRChris posted:

Weird, recently got all 3 books on amazon for about ~20 bucks, shipping included, all used though. Starting on Blood Reaver today; i think that was like four bucks or so.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Affi posted:

I just read Eisenhorn and it was pretty good. I have one complaint though. I wish the final enemy hadn't been Pontius Glaw, I felt like a stretch. I would have liked it to have been just The Inquisition finally coming after him for summoning deamons and for it to end with Eisenhorn as a wanted refugee. I know Halden and Osmo were there in a corner alongside Fischig, but yeah whatevs.

That's, uh, pretty much exactly what the Bequin trilogy is about. So enjoy Pariah I guess.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Impaired Casing posted:

I finished Betrayer last night, and enjoyed it. I loved the dynamic between Angron and his legion, and how they make it a point of how different it is compared to any other legion. Also, is it just me, or is ADB the only guy who can write Lorgar as something other than a pretentious rear end? He even does great work with Angron. He is more than just BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, and gives a great speech on why he turned traitor, and why he doesn't consider it a betrayal. Before this book, I had always assumed he was just insane. ADB turned one of the weakest primarchs, on a character level at least, into one of the strongest.

There's also a few cameos of Magnus in it, who comes off as a sort of useless Obi Wan, giving advice that Lorgar already knows, and ignores anyway. But he's fun nonetheless.

But it focuses mainly on the Word Bearers and the World Eaters, and even though they are fighting Ultramarines, very little of the book is devoted to them. So while it does, after awhile, feel like they could be fighting any old enemy, it is nice to get book straight from the traitor's point of view. Even this late into the Heresy, we still get loyalist characters going on and on about how unthinkable it is to fight space marines, and how their hearts ache over it. I understand that the characters in the various books may be going through that the first time, but I, as a reader, get a little tired of it in book after book. ADB makes mention of it, but its used nothing more than a way to describe the setting, and works wonderfully, and is less than a sentence long.

Yeah, Argel Tal was very guilt ridden. The part where Kharn mentions the bit about the burial shroud just showed the decay of that character. For a man with a demon inside of him, he sure was hollow.

I actually felt sympathy for the World Eaters - not something I would ever have expected. The use of the Librarians and the Dreadnought was a neat idea to show the deterioration of the legion, and they also contributed some nice Khornate foreshadowing, through their effect on Angron and the marines with Nails (went crazy whenever they came nearby) as well as their inability to survive the use of their powers when they had the Nails implanted.

The story of the Night of Wolves took me a while to figure out, though. I did have a mental image of Lorgar going :ughh: when Angron couldn't understand the lesson Russ was trying to teach.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

In regards to Khorne, I don't know if it is ADB who first presented it this way, but I love how he made that mindless bloodlust into something akin to murderous alzheimers. Urzas from his Night Lords trilogy was handled beautifully, especially when the other characters commented on how lucid he could act, between the insanity. I love how bits of that were used in regards to the Nails.

Shroud posted:

I actually felt sympathy for the World Eaters - not something I would ever have expected. The use of the Librarians and the Dreadnought was a neat idea to show the deterioration of the legion

If you haven't finished the book, don't read this, but The way Angron is so loyal to Lorgar in terms of brotherhood that he kills the only real loyal Marines left that were trying to save him was a nice, dramatic twist. There are so many characters that the tile of the book could refer to.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I did finish it. You know what the first thing I thought of was?

gently caress Erebus.

Also, I wonder if BL will ever explain what the hell the Emperor was thinking at De'shea. Angron spelled out what people have wondered for a long time.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shroud posted:

I did finish it. You know what the first thing I thought of was?

gently caress Erebus.

Also, I wonder if BL will ever explain what the hell the Emperor was thinking at De'shea. Angron spelled out what people have wondered for a long time.

The best part in the HH series is knowing that Erebus is still alive and well right up to the 41st Millennium.

Betrayer spoilers

The book is done really well especially when it showed the relationship between Angron and his legion. ADB seems to work everything around the book's title. The Emperor betrays his Angron and Lorgar. The primarchs betray their legions and Erebus betrays Argel Tal. Even Kharn is betrayed by his gods as Erebus gets to slip away scott free. It's just one massive clusterfuck.

One of the more interesting points in the story that might pan out into the current 40k setting is the possibility of an internal conspiracy within the traitors. Erebus seems to imply that a number of the senior officers have gotten together because they're unhappy with their Primarchs and where their Legion is heading so I wonder if this culminates in a plot to get their Primarch out of legion affairs by forcing them to ascend to daemonhood in the same way that Lorgar did to Angron.

I think the book does provide one possible answer to Nuceria though. The world is functioning as a compliant loyal planet that is also full of technology. Given how pragmatic the Emperor is, it sounds like he deliberately let Angron's rebellion fail in order to keep the world as it was. Giving the world to Angron would have resulted in him tearing everything down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

Shroud posted:

I can't figure out the Emperor for the life of me in terms of his choices in the Heresy. I understand that a lot of it is based on the lore of 40k, so he has to do X because it says it in codex Y, but some of it just seems silly.

It seems to be implied that the Emperor knew all about chaos and the warp, and then told the primarchs nothing. Magnus even said in Thousand Suns that he would run to the Emperor, eager to please his dad on finding out something knew about the great ocean, and the Emperor already knew, and told him nothing more. Well, if he dissapproved of Magnus's actions, why didn't he say something before he sent in Russ?

Plus, in the first books of the series, the daemons allude to the fact that the Emperor bargained with Chaos to make the primarchs, and then cut out of whatever deal he made. I have no idea if the daemon was telling the truth, but if the Emperor is as powerful and as wise as everyone thinks, one would think he'd keep a better eye on his various legions because Chaos seems to be the thing that would have a long memory.

And now, I am not sure if this is in the realm of speculation or if it's fact, but the Emperor made Horus Warmaster and retired to Terra to work on the webway, right? As his last gift to humanity, or something like that. That might explain why he was so short and distant from the Primarchs, but even then would it have killed him to say "Shhh, I'm doing this. It's a surprise so don't tell anyone!" Hell, I think Magnus realizes that he was supposed to take the Big E's place on the Golden Throne overseeing it when he was done, so why not clue him in on that.

I can't tell if all of this is just because of the preexisting backstory, poor character writing, or if it is on purpose to show that the Imperium worships a guy who wasn't as great and smart as they think he is.

Kegslayer posted:

The best part in the HH series is knowing that Erebus is still alive and well right up to the 41st Millennium.

I go from hating Erebus to loving him from book to book. Either it's great writing or inconsistent writing.