Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

dakana posted:

Put flash on camera.
Plug camera into transmitter via PC Sync.
Put external flash on to or connect flash to receiver via PC Sync.

Where would the transmitter go? Have you done this before with a Phottix Odin? I may be confused but I feel like the setup you described wouldn't really help me.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Munkaboo posted:

Where would the transmitter go? Have you done this before with a Phottix Odin?

Serious answer: velcro it on to the side of the camera.

Also, sorry about jumping the gun -- I looked at it the web page and it doesn't look like that'd work with the Odin because it doesn't have a PC sync input.

I've used a TTL flash on-camera and then connected a trigger to the PC sync port to fire a remote backlight -- but that's only useful if you don't need TTL in the remote.

Do you specifically want to transmit TTL information to the remote flash? The issue is getting a way to transmit TTL information from the camera to the trigger without using the hotshoe.

dakana fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

dakana posted:

Serious answer: velcro it on to the side of the camera.

Also, sorry about jumping the gun -- I looked at it the web page and it doesn't look like that'd work with the Odin because it doesn't have a PC sync input.

I've used a TTL flash on-camera and then connected a trigger to the PC sync port to fire a remote backlight -- but that's only useful if you don't need TTL in the remote.

Do you specifically want to transmit TTL information to the remote flash? The issue is getting a way to transmit TTL information from the camera to the trigger without using the hotshoe.

I envisioned something like below, but over radio (to avoid the short range thing). Is that what radiopoppers do?

This review mentioned this, but it would mean I'd need two flashes.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157628093126883/?search=phottix+odin

Flash on Camera

This may be going a bit beyond the Odins main purpose, but I tried a flash mounted above the camera on a bracket and Odin receiver, and as far as I can tell it works just like the flash was on camera. The AF assist light and zoom also work just as if the flash was on camera.

The flash zoom can be set to auto for the flash above camera so that it follows the lense, and the other off camera flashes set to a separate manual zoom setting.

The AF assist light would need to stay above the lense, so a bracket that keeps the flash upright in both landscape and portrait would be the ideal. You can get some inexpensive ones of those as well as very professional ones.

Maybe this is what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Strato-Wirele...eywords=phottix

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 13, 2012

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I swear I remember a website that makes batteries for cameras except their whole deal is they make them that store twice the power. Whenever I Google anything I can think of I just get results for "making my batteries" last longer or "buy name brand AAs", not "here is a site that sells camera specific third-party batteries with twice the juice, bro!"

Am I crazy or does such a place exist?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

doctor 7 posted:

I swear I remember a website that makes batteries for cameras except their whole deal is they make them that store twice the power. Whenever I Google anything I can think of I just get results for "making my batteries" last longer or "buy name brand AAs", not "here is a site that sells camera specific third-party batteries with twice the juice, bro!"

Am I crazy or does such a place exist?

This? http://sterlingtek.com/

I usually buy their stuff on Amazon, but that's the company.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

This? http://sterlingtek.com/

I usually buy their stuff on Amazon, but that's the company.
That's it! Thanks a ton.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

That's it! Thanks a ton.

If you're wondering (maybe helpful if you need to remember for the future) it's because of more mAh (e.g.: 3500 vs 4200, the bigger the number the longer the battery should last).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Seems like theres no perfect set of cheaper wireless flash triggers.

I like the Phottix Odin's, but I want to stick a flash on top of the camera.

I like the Phottix Strato II's, but I want to be able to control the remote flash power output, even if it isnt TTL. I like how the hot-shoe is TTL pass through.

I like how the Pixel King's you can control the output remotely and they have TTL (supposedly), but I dont like how the hotshoe is not TTL pass through for when you slap a camera on top.

Is there anything that combines all three that's affordable?

(Transmitter with a hot-shoe that's TTL-enabled, and can control the remote flashses from the camera/TX)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Hrm. You might be asking too much for cheap triggers. Honestly once you actually start expecting your cheap triggers to work right be flexible, you need to start looking at triggers that don't have entirely questionable QC procedures and translations done by Google Translate.

It looks like the FlexTT5 would do what you're looking for.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dakana posted:

Hrm. You might be asking too much for cheap triggers. Honestly once you actually start expecting your cheap triggers to work right be flexible, you need to start looking at triggers that don't have entirely questionable QC procedures and translations done by Google Translate.

It looks like the FlexTT5 would do what you're looking for.

Not even the flex tt5 can do all that-- if you get the AC3 to adjust your flashes, you can't have a flash on the top of the camera.

Would recommend just getting the TT5s though, they're loving awesome.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

Not even the flex tt5 can do all that-- if you get the AC3 to adjust your flashes, you can't have a flash on the top of the camera.

The Younguo 622C's seem to be great, as do the Pixel King's. Anyone have experience with those?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

You can't dial in exposure of a remote manual flash from the 580EX II?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dakana posted:

You can't dial in exposure of a remote manual flash from the 580EX II?

Don't know- I only have a 430exII and the AC3 right now. Next up is an einstein but that's a while away because of my impulse purchases this year.

e:

quote:

You can use the Canon 580EX II to manually adjust power levels on remote Speedlites mounted on PocketWizard FlexTT5 Tranceivers to precisely control exposure.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/remote_manual_flash/

So yes you can- depending on your needs. I got my AC3 super cheap and have no regrets, especially as you can control different groups easily, which is nice if you're metering and using multiple ones.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Hi camera goons. Here's my dad's old Minolta SRT101 from the 70s, and a few lenses and stuff. I don't know jack squat about cameras n' poo poo. Is it worth trying to sell this stuff or do I just donate it to a charity shop? Fake edit: or do I just throw it in the trash, I mean that's an option too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I can't stop buying thrift store cameras.
The other one I bought I think is a lost cause.

This one I found the lens at one thrift store first then found the body at another about an hour away a few days later.

Paid $10 for the lens and $2 for the body.

The body is a Canon EOS Elan 7
The lens is a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Reading up on the manual now. I'm gonna run a roll through it in the next few days and see what comes of it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking for an upgrade to the Canon kit zoom, I've got a Canon mount Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) for sale in the buy/sell thread. Ya know, like the one in the thread title.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mola Yam posted:

Hi camera goons. Here's my dad's old Minolta SRT101 from the 70s, and a few lenses and stuff. I don't know jack squat about cameras n' poo poo. Is it worth trying to sell this stuff or do I just donate it to a charity shop? Fake edit: or do I just throw it in the trash, I mean that's an option too.

You should start shooting with it, it's a great camera and the stock 50mm 1.7 is a great lens. That said, they are a dime a dozen, and even with that case and extras you would probably only get $60.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mola Yam posted:

Ill throw out an offer of $40 plus shipping for the lot.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I've been doing some research on a new 35mm lens for mainly my Nikon D80, sometimes my Nikon FM2 and hopefully a D600 sometime in the not too distant future. I'll mostly be using it for street and landscape so I'm thinking that high speed is not very important. It seems that the Nikon 35 f2 would be my best bet. And then after that would be the Samyang 35 f1.4. Is the Samyang and Rokinon the same lens under different names? It appears to be the case but they're usually different prices which is throwing me off. Is there something else worth considering, like an AI-S version, or just get the Nikon f2 and call it a day?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sigma has a new 35/1.4 lens arriving and it's getting rave reviews. Look out for that one.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
It also looks like that will be 900 dollars and I'm not sure I will get twice the value out of the lens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How is it different from the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Better optics?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

It's the best performing fast 35, surprisingly. Better then Canons 35 1.4, Zeiss, Sigma, etc.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

and full frame compatibility.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FACKER posted:

I've been doing some research on a new 35mm lens for mainly my Nikon D80, sometimes my Nikon FM2 and hopefully a D600 sometime in the not too distant future. I'll mostly be using it for street and landscape so I'm thinking that high speed is not very important. It seems that the Nikon 35 f2 would be my best bet. And then after that would be the Samyang 35 f1.4. Is the Samyang and Rokinon the same lens under different names? It appears to be the case but they're usually different prices which is throwing me off. Is there something else worth considering, like an AI-S version, or just get the Nikon f2 and call it a day?

Samyang sells their lenses to third parties who rebrand it as Rokinon/Bower/Pro-Optic/Vivitar. This practice used to be a lot more common before we ended up with 4 big lens makers with 80% of the market. The Samyang is Ai-S only, it does not have rabbit ears if that matters to you. The Nikon 35/2 is a good enough lens but it won't match the wide-open performance of the Samyang.

Bubbacub posted:

Covers full frame. The 30/1.4 is a scaled-down normal lens for APS-C, while the 35 is a wideangle lens for full frame (that acts like a normal on a crop camera).

If you have the money it sounds like the Sigma is a nicer lens than anything else on the market, but the Samyang still outclasses the Canon and Nikon 35/1.4s if you can deal with manual focus.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Thank you that is very helpful.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shmoogy posted:

It's the best performing fast 35, surprisingly. Better then Canons 35 1.4, Zeiss, Sigma, etc.

To clarify this a bit, the 35/1.4 is the best-performing lens on the market at the moment. From what I know about the 30/1.4, it is a little bit mediocre on the wide-open performance like most fast normal lenses (50/1.4s). The 35/1.4 has a lot more elements, better elements (aspheric, low-dispersion, ultra-low-dispersion), covers full frame, and is correspondingly a lot more expensive.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I have had the Sigma 35 1.4 for about two weeks now. It's absolutely brilliant so far.

The autofocus is excellent which was my main purchasing decision point. The autofocus motor is a *little* slow to move through the focal range but it acquires focus easily in very very dim conditions. It's SHARP as hell. The lens is also heavy as poo poo, about as heavy as my coworker's 24-70 II that he just bought. It's really chunky.

It's built very well, solid feel and a sleek exterior, matte black. More attractive than most of Canon's lenses overall. Focus ring is smooth but kinda tight, they always loosen over time.

It vingnettes which is a 1 clock fix in lightroom, so who cares. Color rendition is... interesting: Neutral-cold and creates an interesting mood in the photos which I tend to like so far.

Did I mention it's sharp? What's most bizarre is how sharp it is wide open, which I didn't expect. So far I'm very impressed and I don't see myself removing it from my camera for months.

Here's an example shot I just took to show the color rendition being "interesting".

Noreaster by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Also, at F11 and above it really flares in an interesting way, something to watch out for.

Collapse Inward by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wyeth posted:

I have had the Sigma 35 1.4 for about two weeks now. It's absolutely brilliant so far.

Can you comment on the manual-focus ergonomics? Is it focus-by-wire or mechanical? If the latter, is there much slop in the ring? I'd like a fast 35 at some point but it would also get used on manual-focus bodies.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you comment on the manual-focus ergonomics? Is it focus-by-wire or mechanical? If the latter, is there much slop in the ring? I'd like a fast 35 at some point but it would also get used on manual-focus bodies.

Zero slop. It's tight and smooth, somewhat difficult to turn compared to for instance my Canon 17-40 which is very loose and has slack. Not nearly as awful as the 85 1.2 though :). Very large ergonomic area to hold so you can kinda pick how you are focusing based on hand placement on the lens. I have been zone focusing with it in the last day or so and messing with the manual focus so it's on my mind.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

those look pretty sick, officially interested in that lens now

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wyeth posted:

Also, at F11 and above it really flares in an interesting way, something to watch out for.

Collapse Inward by SirWyeth, on Flickr

I love this one. It's so strange because it actually looks like a screenshot of Half Life 3 more than a real photo. Mesmerizing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

BonoMan posted:

I love this one. It's so strange because it actually looks like a screenshot of Half Life 3 more than a real photo. Mesmerizing.

Yeah, I didn't think that was a photo at first.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can you post those images before post processing?

Please tell me you did some work on those or I'm about to be very poor very soon :ohdear:

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Can you post those images before post processing?

Please tell me you did some work on those or I'm about to be very poor very soon :ohdear:

I only have the flickr images at the moment (not on my home machine), but yes they are post processed in lightroom. The contrast was adjusted on both, the shot of the lady had one reflection in the 'black' area that I cloned out after taking the shadows down to enhance the dark areas, and I popped the clarity slider a touch on both. I don't recall doing much sharpness adjustment. Also on the shot of the guy in front of the building there is a small adjustment brush dot on his face which brings the exposure up on his face by a stop or so to enhance its' visibility.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I posted in the Canon thread looking for recommendations on an UWA, but I've reassessed my budget and it doesn't permit a Sigma 8-16mm at the moment. I've been looking at the Sigma 30/1.4 (I love primes) on Flickr, the images I've found are very appealing. How's the AF on it? The Sigma 10-20mm also fits in my budget.

I've got a 7d, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F4/L and a set of c/y Zeiss primes (25, 60, 85, 180). I guess it makes more sense to go with the 10-20 to give me a wider range, but the shots I've seen from the Sigma 30mm have looked really appealing.

fake edit:

Has anyone done any sales/trade on the Fred Miranda forums?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What's your budget? I have a Canon 10-22 for sale that I've been trying to get rid of.

edit: and a Sigma 30 1.4 as well

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 18, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I posted in the Canon thread looking for recommendations on an UWA, but I've reassessed my budget and it doesn't permit a Sigma 8-16mm at the moment. I've been looking at the Sigma 30/1.4 (I love primes) on Flickr, the images I've found are very appealing. How's the AF on it? The Sigma 10-20mm also fits in my budget.

I've got a 7d, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F4/L and a set of c/y Zeiss primes (25, 60, 85, 180). I guess it makes more sense to go with the 10-20 to give me a wider range, but the shots I've seen from the Sigma 30mm have looked really appealing.

fake edit:

Has anyone done any sales/trade on the Fred Miranda forums?

The Sigma 30 1.4 is pretty okay focus wise, provided you get a good copy. That is one of the lenses which is really a lottery play to try to get a good copy- and you can't really trust sellers through forums because they will just say that it worked fine on their bodies.

That being said, I've had nothing but good luck and deals on both Fred Miranda (and POTN, and SA).

e: But I don't and wont do any trades that aren't local. I don't trust people to ship things to me while I cross ship. I'd rather take the $30-50 loss in selling and buying with that money.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
So are you looking for a fast normal or an UWA? The cheaper Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is quite good, couple of us here have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I updated the first post a bit, checked links to other threads and so. The Olympus thread has apparently gone to archives.