Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So has there been any news on when the US will get TVii? It still says December when you open the app, so I'm hoping that still holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The best thing about Xenoblade is how it firmly rejects JRPG gameplay tropes, so I vote Good Thing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I've yet to find a western RPG I can play for more than an hour or so before quitting out of boredom, so I get pretty worried any time I see a Japanese dev say something like that. It's even more worrying when one of my main reasons for getting a Wii U was "Monolith are making something for it" :suicide:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Suaimhneas posted:

I've yet to find a western RPG I can play for more than an hour or so before quitting out of boredom, so I get pretty worried any time I see a Japanese dev say something like that. It's even more worrying when one of my main reasons for getting a Wii U was "Monolith are making something for it" :suicide:

I'm not worried at at all since they know how revolutionary Xenoblade was with its exclusion of JRPG cliches. It just seems like they want to match the scope of Bethesda's grasp on the audience size and be seen as a contender for making Really Good Games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

I'm not worried at at all since they know how revolutionary Xenoblade was with its exclusion of JRPG cliches. It just seems like they want to match the scope of Bethesda's grasp on the audience size and be seen as a contender for making Really Good Games.

I'd say they already deserve that title but they want to be a contender for making Really Good Games that Sell lots of copies.

When you have Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Project X Zone, Soma Bringer and Xenoblade to your name, you deserve your positive reputation. Xenoblade was just on a whole new level and if the next game compares to that, I think it could sell.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I got bored by Xenoblade about 10 hours into it. The battle system just wasn't clicking with me :kiddo:

Maybe I'll pick it up again and just ignore sidequests because I think that's what did me in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xwonderboyx posted:

I got bored by Xenoblade about 10 hours into it. The battle system just wasn't clicking with me :kiddo:

Maybe I'll pick it up again and just ignore sidequests because I think that's what did me in.

Xenoblade does have enough sidequests to make the average MMO player weep in fear. The only ones you really need to do are the Colony-building ones (I think it's in the manual, so that's not a spoiler, but I'll edit if someone corrects me) in order to get yourself the miniature reactor for the Portable Gem Furnace. There's a few later quest lines for good stuff that require a high affinity with various regions, but they're not crucial to beating the game in any way.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't blame anyone for getting bored. I played for a few hours and got stuck on the first boss because I didn't know how to do the new Monado technique the whole battle was designed to show me how to do. So I stopped playing for a few months, booted the game back up and played a fresh file where I paid more attention.

I haven't played in months due to getting bored and feeling underlevelled after getting Riki but I really hope to grind it out over the Christmas break. That way I can finally dump my Wii and stick to the Wii U.

It's such a huge game that taking breaks just makes sense to me. I just can't grind a game like I used to. I'm getting old.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Den of Lies posted:

So has there been any news on when the US will get TVii? It still says December when you open the app, so I'm hoping that still holds true.

Nothing yet. Though, it would probably be in their interest to get it out the door by Christmas.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Operative posted:

Nothing yet. Though, it would probably be in their interest to get it out the door by Christmas.

Nintedo TVii becomes the new skynet as it's launched on 12/21/12 and proceeds to destroy the world.

I am completely skeptical that this gets launched on time. I bet they'll miss December and launch it in January. I'm glad they're taking the time to do it right but I'm really impatient. TVii just sounds really sweet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It will suck if its after Christmas because everyone who gets one for Christmas will be downloading the system update on the same day, and their servers will be so clogged.

Until confirmed otherwise I'm assuming TVii will be available December 31, at 23:59:59 Hawaii Aleutian standard time. Then I'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes out earlier.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'd say they already deserve that title but they want to be a contender for making Really Good Games that Sell lots of copies.

When you have Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Project X Zone, Soma Bringer and Xenoblade to your name, you deserve your positive reputation. Xenoblade was just on a whole new level and if the next game compares to that, I think it could sell.

Oh they most definitely deserve that title, but you're right that they want the sales to reflect their effort, which is where the Bethesda quote comes in.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

More or less the same thing happened with the Forecast and News channels on the original Wii. They were placeholder channels for months.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I still don't know what "TVii" is supposed to do.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

My understanding is that it's an enhancement for the TV remote feature, as well virtual TV guide with tons of information about whatever you're watching (via IMDB???). It also links your HULU, Netflix and TiVo (and soon other DVRs) into one program, and gives you some social media options.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

It's an aggregator/launcher for various video content services. You search by show/movie, and it tells you what services have it, rather than having to check each service's library individually. It also has access to your local TV listing data.

So in theory you can select some random show and it might tell you that two seasons are up on Netflix, that you can buy episodes from Amazon, and that you can watch a new episode tonight at 8:00. The UI would let you launch each of these options.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I think theres supposed to be some extra sports functionallity but I could be wrong here. Something like having multiple scores up on the WuPad.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I want to understand one thing about that 18+ games in Europe. Does the eShop restrict browsing the listing of 18+ games too in the daily hours? I'd be more pissed off if I get a half assed e-shop list by day (I can get around the video restriction by watching videos on youtube). In any case, I'm sure Shibata is going to fix this, otherwise I will send him a really really angry e-mail.

Also, correct me about this: the first time I hook up Wii U and I just want to play Nintendoland, the sensible thing that I have to do is just say "no" to the first update prompt and not bother to tell him to search them, and WiiU will just download both the System update and the Nintendoland update in background?

Can the update process still be cancelled if it's just "downloading" the packages, like it happens instead on windows update, PSV or PS3?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Welp, my Mii has been restricted. Apparently it's "inappropriate" to have a Mii named Wang with a penis nose and scrotum eyebrows. What if I really look like that?

Are you the artist formerly known as Genkleyful on 3DS?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My understanding is that it's an enhancement for the TV remote feature, as well virtual TV guide with tons of information about whatever you're watching (via IMDB???). It also links your HULU, Netflix and TiVo (and soon other DVRs) into one program, and gives you some social media options.

Yeah, it basically takes a bunch of services you already have (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, your TiVo, and your cable provider) and makes the GamePad a universal channel guide across all of them. Search for a movie/show (or pull recomendations from Miiverse/Facebook), see where it's available, tap the icon, and TVii launch it in the appropriate app, or the TV/box to the right input/channel. You can also find upcoming shows and program your TiVo from the Gamepad. While you're watching, you can browse extra info like episode guides, casts lists, or go straight to the IMDB/Wiki page for that show. There's also an overlay for liveposting on Miiverse/Facebook/Twitter.

I can see them releasing that on Christmas Eve/Day with some cheesy PR release about it being a gift to Wii U owners.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That still beats the Wii's first Christmas Day, they just put up Super Mario Bros. and Super Castlevania IV on the virtual console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

That still beats the Wii's first Christmas Day, they just put up Super Mario Bros. and Super Castlevania IV on the virtual console.

And I bought both cause I'm a sucker. :)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

And I bought both cause I'm a sucker. :)

Buying great games never makes you a sucker.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Monolith made Baten Kaitos? Man, that made my appreciation for them rise even higher. I never beat it, but they get unlimited credit in my book for doing something truly different with their mechanics.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Den of Lies posted:

I'm going to say that 25th. Didn't a Wii channel come out its first Christmas?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Strange Matter posted:

Monolith made Baten Kaitos? Man, that made my appreciation for them rise even higher. I never beat it, but they get unlimited credit in my book for doing something truly different with their mechanics.

Co-developed with tri-cresendo. I never beat it either but I have the prequel begging to be played at home once I'm done with Xenoblade.

If there's a game that I'd loving love to get an HD upgrade with new voice acting it's BK.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

On a technical level, Baten Kaitos also made the best use of the looping FMV background effects seen in stuff like Blade Runner and Fear Effect. Furthermore,

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Co-developed with tri-cresendo. I never beat it either but I have the prequel begging to be played at home once I'm done with Xenoblade.

If there's a game that I'd loving love to get an HD upgrade with new voice acting it's BK.
The two things I remember most about Baten Kaitos was the completely bonkers card combat system that I would never be able to fully comprehend and the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game.

Glad to know that Monolith figured that out for Xenoblade.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Strange Matter posted:

The two things I remember most about Baten Kaitos was the completely bonkers card combat system that I would never be able to fully comprehend and the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game.

Glad to know that Monolith figured that out for Xenoblade.

So how is daily life with the inability to count? v:v:v You chain combos, and sometimes you could chain item cards. I think the Prequel did a better job explaining this in game in the battle screen. You didn't want to fill your deck with nothing but the strongest cards, you wanted to achieve a counting balance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

The two things I remember most about Baten Kaitos...the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game.

Namco famously blundered the voice acting. The first English trailer released for the game actually had pretty good voice acting that sounded very clear. Then they cheaped out on the actual localization, with a lot of it sounding like it was recorded from inside a garbage can and also being, like you say, the worst. The lack of clarity and blandness was justified as being a representation of the main character's emotional distance from the rest of the cast. This caused you, the player, the spirit guiding the main character, to not comprehend everyone as clearly as you normally would be able to. There are no words.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Edoraz posted:

So how is daily life with the inability to count?
Not great, considering that I'm an accountant :negative:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not exactly Wii U related, but can anyone with the golden nuckhuck from Club Nintendo determine if it's worth saving points up? Almost got enough for it when it returns next month, but wondering if I should get some freebie games instead.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Rirse posted:

Not exactly Wii U related, but can anyone with the golden nuckhuck from Club Nintendo determine if it's worth saving points up? Almost got enough for it when it returns next month, but wondering if I should get some freebie games instead.

Why can't you make that decision for yourself? Do you want a nunchuk or more games?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neo Rasa posted:

On a technical level, Baten Kaitos also made the best use of the looping FMV background effects seen in stuff like Blade Runner and Fear Effect. Furthermore,

If you pre-ordered the game it came with a music CD with most of the music on it. No clue on how rare the actual CD is. However the most expensive GC RPG is apparently Phantasy Star Online Plus followed by the Original PSO for GC, then Skies of Arcadia Legends. It's really strange that none of the Baton Kaitos games even come close to what those games are worth despite both being very good exclusive RPGs. You could probably get both Lost Kingdoms games and both Baton Kaitos games and it would still be cheaper than a single copy of Skies of Arcadia.

Mind you Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 both have an established pedigree as well. From Software made them.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you've got the gold Zelda remote and the Goldeneye CC Pro then you might as well complete the set, I suppose.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
The gold nunchuck is definitely worth it if you like gold nunchucks and nunchucks of other colors that aren't gold. Definitely makes you feel cool because of its gold sheen. Get it if you like gold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

It's gold, it's a nunchuk, and it's moderately shiny. The only disappointment you could have is that the cord's a generic white one.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

limaCAT posted:

Are you the artist formerly known as Genkleyful on 3DS?

Nah, I was on Swapnote but that was someone else.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They made baten kaitos? Now I HAVE to play xenoblade (not that I needed extra encouragement anyway).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Chernabog posted:

They made baten kaitos? Now I HAVE to play xenoblade (not that I needed extra encouragement anyway).

This sold me on it as well. That game was an impulse buy based on cover art used at a gamestop. It was and is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So, I actually bought Funky Barn, off of eBay, for $20 plus shipping. I'm guessing it was a copy that couldn't be sold at retail, because the case is cracked - won't even close properly - and the plastic wrap was mauled to pieces. But the game works fine, even though the case has been through some kind of shredder. (#nintengoons has heard all about this. I'm bitching because the item description just said it was factory sealed and brand new, both true, I guess.)

I have to say it's actually kind of fun? If you've looked at reviews of the game you already know if it's for you or not, and I think it has a leg up on those sorts of iOS/Android games because it's not freemium with lovely countdown clocks until you can do things again.

So far I've gotten an hour's worth of play out of it (testing to see whether the damage extended to the disc or not) and I'll definitely be coming back. There's not the greatest amount of content in the world, but it looks to be maybe 15 hours? The graphics are the worst I've seen so far on the WiiU, and I'm not one to care about graphics, but they do have a charm. My biggest complaint in that department is that the text is kind of pixelated sometimes.

There is no autosave. That's a real bitch, but I knew that going in.

All in all if you like this sort of game it's worth a look. There's not exactly a whole lot of titles right now, so in two years I would not be saying this, unless you could get it for $5. Right now, I'm fine with $20. If you can pick it up cheap, do so.

I have not yet unlocked the mythical Barn of Funk.

• Locked thread