Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

Quest-related question: I'm at the point where the December dungeon is available to me, but before I go and clear it, I wanted to head back and get some quest items from the older dungeons. I'm currently running around floors 7 and 8 of the September dungeon, and I can't get the Branch Headbands to drop from the Elegant Mothers. Is it not dropping because I'm in December, or is it just an obscenely low drop rate to begin with (which is unusual when it comes to Quest items)?

The twins (who requested it) move away after the rainy days in November. So basically it's not dropping because you can't complete it anymore.

I'm also pretty sure the quests from the twins are the only ones with time limits, too.

There's actually a pretty decent, if incomplete, quest guide for Golden on Gamefaqs, if you want something for future reference.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strange Quark posted:

The twins (who requested it) move away after the rainy days in November. So basically it's not dropping because you can't complete it anymore.

I'm also pretty sure the quests from the twins are the only ones with time limits, too.

There's actually a pretty decent, if incomplete, quest guide for Golden on Gamefaqs, if you want something for future reference.

Bleh. Figured it might be something like that.

Oh well, on to the November dungeon, then.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Nate RFB posted:

It's actually getting really interesting. I basically have December and January to get 3 levels for Strength, 1 level for Sun, 2 levels for Death, 9 levels for Hanged Man, and 9 levels for Moon (not too hard to see which links I ignored). I think I stand a good chance of maxing all of them out.

Pretty certain you won't be able to pull all of those off, I think Strength and Sun are gonna screw you up. Hanged Man is actually super easy to raise because it's available 5 days a week, Death is easy because not much else is available on Sundays, but Strength/Sun/Moon are all 3 days each and have a fair bit of crossover.

You MIGHT be able to do it. I was in a similar spot in December with Hanged, Moon, and Temperance left to go (and Temperance sucks, seriously. There's like 3-4 levels which need an additional boost past the Link conversation to push to the next level) and just barely finished in time. I'd say prioritize Moon -> Sun -> Strength -> Hanged and hope when the first 3 are done you still have 2 weeks left to power through the last one. Might have to savescum some nice shrine results at night, too.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Two questions since I'm almost done with P4:

1. Would watching the anime after playing the game feel like watching the movie after reading the book?

2. Is Persona 3 different enough story wise that I wouldn't feel like I'm rehashing the same plot over again ?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mouser.. posted:

1. Would watching the anime after playing the game feel like watching the movie after reading the book?

2. Is Persona 3 different enough story wise that I wouldn't feel like I'm rehashing the same plot over again ?

Persona 3 and 4 have very little in common plot wise.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Mouser.. posted:

gently caress yeah it's different. It's more Lovecraftian jRPG horror to this Anime Murder Mystery game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mouser.. posted:

1. Somewhat, but it's still pretty enjoyable to watch, especially given that they give the main character a distinct personality of his own.

2. Yes, though the Social Links aren't as well-written as they are in Persona 4.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mouser.. posted:

Persona 3 is definitely different enough story wise. The small town mystery is replaced by a rash of depression leading to the end of the world. It's also a bit more "anime" story wise, for better or worse. I do highly recommend P3P because it keeps the gameplay improvements from 4 that will make it a pain going back otherwise. Also because you can play as a lady and she has the best social links.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Persona 3 isn't as well written as Persona 4 in general, but it's still a good game.

Edit: Also FES is the definitive version death to the P3P infidels

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Meiteron posted:

I was in a similar spot in December with Hanged, Moon, and Temperance left to go (and Temperance sucks, seriously. There's like 3-4 levels which need an additional boost past the Link conversation to push to the next level) and just barely finished in time.
Temperance is my "Friday" S. Link, I usually try to do it and only it every Friday. Useful because otherwise it overlaps with too many other links, and because getting a steady diet of Understanding helps in the long run.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Boss is at 10 hp. Your party member decides to heal himself instead of attacking. Boss kills everyone in a single attack next turn.

I do miss walking around, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nerdz posted:

Boss is at 10 hp. Your party member decides to heal himself instead of attacking. Boss kills everyone in a single attack next turn.

I do miss walking around, though.

Come on, now, that would never happen.

Mitsuru would try to charm the boss instead. :colbert:

I'd say the real reason FES is debatably the definitive version is that it still has the cutscenes. Those are pretty important.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

P3P girl mode for the win.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

Come on, now, that would never happen.

Mitsuru would try to charm the boss instead. :colbert:

I'd say the real reason FES is debatably the definitive version is that it still has the cutscenes. Those are pretty important.

You say that but I did manage to charm a boss in FES. That one who eats its minions, if he eats a charmed minion he becomes charmed himself.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nerdz posted:

You say that but I did manage to charm a boss in FES. That one who eats its minions, if he eats a charmed minion he becomes charmed himself.

That's hilarious. I didn't know that was possible.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

I like the actual plot and premise of P3 more, but I think 4 has better characters and dialog. No reason not to play both though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nerdz posted:

That works in Strange Journey, too, and is probably the easiest way to beat that boss.

I guess it's just a SMT gimmick. I didn't know about it in FES.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
P3P was my first foray into the SMT series, and it's my favorite of the Persona spin-offs. I also prefer it over FES, mostly for the fact that you have control over your team-mates. You do lose the anime cut-scenes and the Answer, so you should watch the cut-scenes on youtube or something as you play the game. Honestly, the Answer isn't that great. It's pretty much JUST dungeon crawling, so I'd recommend watching the cut-scenes of that on Youtube after you beat the game. Of course, if you don't mind CPU-controlled team-mates or The Answer, then by all-means, FES is for you. Also, keep in mind that P3 has a much different "flavor" than P4. The easiest way to describe this is by the color-pallets, which support their respective games very well. P4 uses bright yellows and reds, which supports the general pop feeling it has. P3 used dark blues and greens, which supports the mellowness and somewhat gloomy atmosphere it has.

Snix fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 18, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snix posted:

P3P was my first foray into the SMT series, and it's my favorite of the Persona spin-offs. I also prefer it over FES, mostly for the fact that you have control over your team-mates. You do lose the anime cut-scenes and the Answer, so you should watch the cut-scenes on youtube or something as you play the game. Honestly, the Answer isn't that great. It's pretty much JUST dungeon crawling, so I'd recommend watching the cut-scenes of that on Youtube after you beat the game. Of course, if you don't mind CPU-controlled team-mates or The Answer, then by all-means, FES is for you.

The Answer is just bad and should be ignored.

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
I'll be getting P4G and a Vita by Christmas so I'm looking forward to that a whole lot. I've beaten the original P4 once already and I want to see all the new stuff.

As for P3, it's plot is a lot more morbid and depressing. That and it has the whole 'shoot-yourself-in-the-head' thing that was pretty controversial. P4 and P3 are nothing alike plot wise, but gameplay wise they are almost identical, except for the Tartarus as opposed to dungeons.

P3P is the best version to get, as you can control your party members (not possible in FES) and you can play as the female protag with new social links. Also, Persona 2 is a very good game as well, and it's available on the PSP so it wouldn't hurt to check that out if you have money to burn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P3 feels like an experimental sort of game, where the ideas used by both games are clearly in their unrefined stages. Also the plot, for however "dark" it is, tries so hard despite being completely ridiculous that it just winds up feeling really cheesy. I guess I would say that while P3 is technically a gloomier story and thus more MegaTen-like, the writing quality is so much worse than P4 I just don't think it really matters. And this is without even touching the gameplay differences.

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
In a lot of ways the writing of Persona 4 was much more improved, and the characterizations were a lot better. However, I'm kind of trying to say it would be a good idea to try P3 if you really enjoyed P4. The plot is ridiculous in a lot of ways, but it was kind of like Atlus stepping in the waters in an attempt to make a successful JRPG/simulation game. It was basically a stepping stone.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
P3P has better replay value with two main characters who have mostly different Social Links, and you can directly control your party members if you really can't stand the (mostly) pretty good AI.

FES has animated cutscenes (both anime ones and 3D animated like most of the ones in Persona 4 are) and full control of your character outside of Tartarus (in P3P you control a cursor on a map when not in the dungeon) and a playable epilogue that's pretty fun if you enjoy dungeon crawling, and it's nice if you've grown really attached to the characters and want to see more of them.

So if you're interested in playing as a lady and/or controlling your party directly, and you don't mind a hurt story experience, grab P3P, otherwise go for FES. I played P3P first, but I personally think FES is the better version.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Persona series has always been a little weird.

You fight Hitler in Persona 2.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Persona 3 has one of the best and most satisfying endings of any game, to me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

P3P also fixes the Fatigue system so that the early game isn't nearly as tedious. P3 vanilla/FES were horribly slow going to begin with. Between the party control improvements, the Fatigue fixes, and the fact that you can put your Vita to sleep and toss it in a bag mid-battle if need be make P3P my version of choice.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Barent posted:

Agreed. I've only played P3P, but I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed P4. I love P4, but P3 is my personal favorite. You get a lot of interesting mechanics too, like splitting the party and condition, which were removed for P4.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I never found the "controllable party members!" to be much of a big deal one way or the other in Persona 3. It's a fairly easy game either way.

(I will qualify this statement with the admission that I never ever, ever use Mitsuru)

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Dr Pepper posted:

The Persona series has always been a little weird.

Let's not forget this THING.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Snix posted:

Let's not forget this THING.

Literally butt headed :stare:.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Nice to see Mara's sister is getting work.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Literally butt headed :stare:.

Close!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Pepper posted:

Hitler with sweet shades, at that.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Hitler with sweet shades, wielding the Spear of Destiny.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I think they made the guardian(s) easier to catch since they didn't have a rumble feature to use. I caught both on my first try. I have no idea how I'm supposed to carry that thing on my bike to show the old man. That thing's ridiculous.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Barent posted:

I disagree. I love the game, but I hate the ending. It's the opposite of satisfying for me. I can understand why some people like it, but I really can't stand it.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how Jester is basically just the more negative aspect of the Fool, our hero and his team's Arcana. We are blindly stumbling forward trying to find the truth... but he's more than content to simply drift through life.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Speedball posted:

I like how Jester is basically just the more negative aspect of the Fool, our hero and his team's Arcana. We are blindly stumbling forward trying to find the truth... but he's more than content to simply drift through life.

That is the idea in general. The Jester is the Reversed Fool card. The Fool represents the Journey that is life. The Jester is a failed journey, one who has not only learned nothing but doesn't believe he has anything to learn. Someone who thinks he has all the answers.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Persona 3: Relaxation & Death
Persona 4: Mystery & Joy

That's how I'd describe the two. P1 is harder to label since the plot goes all over the place, but the story of Maki is essentially the core of what Persona is about : the multiple sides of a single person. Persona 2 would be the Power of Rumors, but the overall feeling of the game is tough to pinpoint. The two halves of the game are named well for their content, is all I can say. I really wish I could play new versions of the games with the P4 battle system...

Speedball posted:

Yeah, it's fascinating to see how the Jester link is so similar to the Fool, yet manages to deviate so rapidly. I really do love that they added it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seriously, the entire Jester link makes up for the Aeon link and all of the revelations that brings, it's just so well done and gives a lot of character to Adachi, someone who barely had any significant presence in the original game. It's basically the Shinjiro S. Link of P4G.

• Locked thread