Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oh boy, two Todd Martin shows in a week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Oh boy, two Todd Martin shows in a week!

That video game one wasn't that bad. Todd shut up for most of it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

sportsgenius86 posted:

And he knows more about games than Bryan so that helps too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

And he knows more about games than Bryan so that helps too.

Granny probably does too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Granny probably does too

So does Dave I reckon.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Just ask Bryan about Mighty Bomb Jack.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bryan seems like the type who would have no idea what Duck Hunt or Sonic are but could go on an impromptu hour long rant about Maniac Mansion.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
No joke, I'd love to see what kind of storylines Bryan and Vinny'd come up with in WWE '13...complete with CAWs of themselves.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Best thing on B&V show this week was Granny calling Ryback an ape.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Jack Krauser posted:

Best thing on B&V show this week was Granny calling Ryback an ape.

Bryan researching pigeons was also pretty great.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Christ, Jake Roberts' voice is like a cement mixer that's been smoking for forty years. loving hell

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaybackJack posted:

I don't think Lance thinks that you shouldn't have names for moves but I agree when everytime a guy debuts a new move they have to give it some name that matches his gimmick. For example: Cody Rhodes and 'CrossRhodes', it's a pun but it's not terrible and it fits the move. The 'Yes-Lock' on the other hand is just adding a guy's catchphrase to a move he does that already has a name that at least makes sense.

So wrestlers should give moves a name when it's a good name and not give a name to a move if it's a bad name.

I didn't hear what Lance was saying, but if he was saying something along the lines of, "If you don't do the move special in any way, don't give it a fancy name. If you make the move your own, give it a fancy name so people know it's yours" then I agree with him 100%.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

sportsgenius86 posted:

No it wasn't. The guy they interviewed just read the press release crap and didn't really sound that interested in wrestling.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

maniacripper posted:

No it wasn't. The guy they interviewed just read the press release crap and didn't really sound that interested in wrestling.

Well, to be fair, Dave, Bryan, Vinny et al. haven't sounded too excited about wrestling lately either :v:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

maniacripper posted:

Corey Ledesma is what Miz would be if he was involved in videogames. No wonder they get along great during press conferences...

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"Dave Meltzer" posted:

Today is the 49th anniversary of the death of Rikidozan, who was among the five most influential pro wrestlers who ever lived. Rikidozan was the father and first great star of Japanese pro wrestling, who died at the age of 38 after being stabbed by a thug after a bar fight a week earlier in 1963. Rikidozan was a Japanese cultural hero the likes of which only one wrestler in history, El Santo in Mexico, could even approach. Even the biggest American stars like Jim Londos, Frank Gotch, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, whoever, as far as cultural impact and national heroes are so far out of Rikidozan's league it would be almost impossible for an American to understand. Rikidozan would be closer to Abraham Lincoln than to Steve Austin.

Uh, Dave, I think you need to step outside the bubble. Schwarzenegger, maybe.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Arbite posted:

Arnie wasn't a wrestler though, but Lincoln was.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

Arnie wasn't a wrestler though, but Lincoln was.

Lincoln wasn't an influential wrestler. Who'd he ever beat?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So wrestlers should give moves a name when it's a good name and not give a name to a move if it's a bad name.

I didn't hear what Lance was saying, but if he was saying something along the lines of, "If you don't do the move special in any way, don't give it a fancy name. If you make the move your own, give it a fancy name so people know it's yours" then I agree with him 100%.

Kinda of. He was more going off on giving out generic gimmicky names that were puns or referenced the character and didn't sound intimidating or brutal but also weren't making the move seem less generic. He didnt't mention it specifically but i'd imagine he ia not a fan of Gail Kim's "happy ending". Something like "the Styles Clash" while being a pun, is easier to say than what the move actually is called.

His main point was a comparison with the UFC where nobody i can think of, except Mike Swick about 7 years ago with the "Swick-otine", has a named finishing move. He was arguing that people should just win with moves because that's more realistic. Rhonda Rousey has won her fights with an armbar but hasn't suddenly started calling it "The Olympic Lock" or the "Rowdy-bar".

I think he has a point in that you shouldn't design a real tv character like you design a CAW in a video game.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I asked this about a year ago but am curious again: does a member of the board still do TNA review compilations from B&V episodes? I've been listening through the ones I have again and they're loving gold, but TNA also hasn't been as stupid lately, so I wasn't sure.

TLM
Mar 3, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I asked this about a year ago but am curious again: does a member of the board still do TNA review compilations from B&V episodes? I've been listening through the ones I have again and they're loving gold, but TNA also hasn't been as stupid lately, so I wasn't sure.

The "Adrenaline Flush" packs? Sad to say the last one was from January 2011.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The move naming is especially dumb with all of the move recycling WWE has done in recent years. How many reverse STO variations have we seen since 2005 or so, like 15? And they all had some stupid name like Mic Check or Play of the Day

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Lincoln wasn't an influential wrestler. Who'd he ever beat?

Smashed 5,000 stovepipe hats, never drew a dime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

Arnold isn't a cultural hero.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Nut Bunnies posted:

The move naming is especially dumb with all of the move recycling WWE has done in recent years. How many reverse STO variations have we seen since 2005 or so, like 15? And they all had some stupid name like Mic Check or Play of the Day

My favorite recent name of that is R-Truth's. His is called the Little Jimmy, which is also the name of his invisible child friend. The guy already used up his one good name with Lie Detector on his running corkscrew elbow attack.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

My favorite recent name of that is R-Truth's. His is called the Little Jimmy, which is also the name of his invisible child friend. The guy already used up his one good name with Lie Detector on his running corkscrew elbow attack.

It used to be called Shut Up during his heel gimmick, too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder where Triple H falls on this naming thing. He only really ever had the Pedigree, never felt the need to give his Spinebuster or that weird chinbreaker thing a name.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaybackJack posted:

He didnt't mention it specifically but i'd imagine he ia not a fan of Gail Kim's "happy ending"

I totally forgot about that terribly named move. Eat Defeat, however, is awesome because it made Dusty Rhodes break down laughing on FCW and people might confuse it with "Eat the Feet" which still makes sense!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I totally forgot about that terribly named move. Eat Defeat, however, is awesome because it made Dusty Rhodes break down laughing on FCW and people might confuse it with "Eat the Feet" which still makes sense!
From an interview in WWE Magazine, she said it was Mark Henry who suggested "Eat Defeat" as a name.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TLM posted:

The "Adrenaline Flush" packs? Sad to say the last one was from January 2011.

Awwww man. Those were so loving great. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave described a low blow in UFC Australia as an "Arena Mexico low blow".

That is hilarious, if you've watched much CMLL.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What if you haven't seen any CMLL, can you explain it?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CM Punk is on the Nerdist podcast today.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

I'm guessing it was a really obvious, almost theatrical low blow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Isn't it usually punting the dude in the nuts like you're going for a field goal?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POItcLlz7JM&t=434s

edit: Keep watching.

edit: The second one is the best, he literally stiffs him, if you know what I mean.

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

quadruple edit: "They booked them to get over." :negative:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 18, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Those low blows are incredible.

It was a bit annoying when Meltzer was like "Yeah I knew Flair was coming back soon I just didn't know it was going to be on this show"

Has he been saying on any previous shows that Flair was due to come back before the end of the year? I know they were talking vaguely about WWE having interest in him, but if he actually had a scoop that Flair was supposed to come back it would be nice if he shared with the rest of us haha

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

triplexpac posted:

Those low blows are incredible.

It was a bit annoying when Meltzer was like "Yeah I knew Flair was coming back soon I just didn't know it was going to be on this show"

Has he been saying on any previous shows that Flair was due to come back before the end of the year? I know they were talking vaguely about WWE having interest in him, but if he actually had a scoop that Flair was supposed to come back it would be nice if he shared with the rest of us haha

Meltzer has said CONSTANTLY that Flair wouldn't be back on WWE TV while the TNA lawsuit was still hanging around.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It may be a source issue. If Meltzer's only hearing it from one place, he may be keeping quiet to avoiding potentially outing someone as a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I also think if Meltzer is personally asked not to reveal something, he won't.

• Locked thread