Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Out of curiosity, what does everyone think of The Looney Tunes show? (I am referring to the one that aired 2011-now.)

Personally, I love it. I know a lot of people complained about for the many, many changes it did (Sitcom-format, Lola's insane, Taz is a pet), but they all go so well together to create this really fantastic show. Practically every character is awful in one way or another, especially Daffy, who is probably the biggest jerk in any cartoon (that includes Gruncle Stan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like the songs. The rest is kinda eehhhhh so-so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, the songs can be good, but the rest of it is pretty bland.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Yeah, the songs are hit and miss, but when they're good, they're good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think it's hilarious and the best use of the Looney Tunes characters in years, I didn't know there was anyone that didn't like it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

raditts posted:

I think it's hilarious and the best use of the Looney Tunes characters in years, I didn't know there was anyone that didn't like it.

There's plenty of rants on YouTube, not saying that that means much, though. Half of them hate all animation from the last 10 years, the other half is has a crush on Lola Bunny from Space Jam.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

It certainly is the best use of the franchise in a long time, but it's still pretty bland. I think the sitcom format it mimics might just be a little too dated? I'm not sure what it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

It certainly is the best use of the franchise in a long time, but it's still pretty bland. I think the sitcom format it mimics might just be a little too dated? I'm not sure what it is.

Maybe, but I can't really think of what else they could do that wouldn't be aping the original Looney Tunes run and failing miserably at it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

VJeff posted:

This was cooler. :colbert:

No.

THIS was cooler :c00lbert:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ That clip gets me every time. I like to imagine the guy who served as the drum never got filled in on this and had no idea what was going on.

IRQ posted:

I think one of it's most impressive traits is how far it can wander from the Status Quo and still return to normal within 5-10 minutes. One episode has Bugs landing in a prison in Albania and Daffy in the Marines, for crying out loud.
Besides, I think another thing that makes it interesting is that it can take typical sitcom scenarios and just stand out by having the classic Looney Tunes characters react to it; this is essentially what the shorts of the original show were about – putting well-established characters in well-known situations (stranded island, with a movie monster, etc.) and just showing what happens.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 10, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Maybe, but I can't really think of what else they could do that wouldn't be aping the original Looney Tunes run and failing miserably at it.

More Duck Dodgers?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cliff Racer posted:

More Duck Dodgers?
Still has the best intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpsxfEU-4Is

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Can anybody recommend kid-friendly science fiction that isn't goofy and has female characters who are part of the action? Basically, I'm looking for a more modern version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PQaYUryKQ

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Space Cases I guess. Though that is like twelve years old now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
And the best cameos of any kids show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbXZn7YhO0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbXZn7YhO0

Why did they give Mustaine boobs?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Can anybody recommend kid-friendly science fiction that isn't goofy and has female characters who are part of the action? Basically, I'm looking for a more modern version of this:

What exactly do you mean by not goofy? Most sci-fi shows aimed at kids is going to be pretty silly by default, and hard sci-fi is pretty rare in general these days. The first things that come to mind are Atomic Betty and the newer Star Wars Clone Wars series.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

What exactly do you mean by not goofy? Most sci-fi shows aimed at kids is going to be pretty silly by default, and hard sci-fi is pretty rare in general these days. The first things that come to mind are Atomic Betty and the newer Star Wars Clone Wars series.

I guess I mean that it tries to have, at its core, a serious story, even if there's lots of comedy on the side. The suggestions so far look promising. My daughter dug out my Space Academy DVD set that I bought in a fit of nostalgia a few years ago and she really likes it, so I thought I'd try to track down similar things.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also My Life as a Teenage Robot, which was pretty underrated in by opinion.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

There's Sym-Bionic Titan, but that's set on Earth. What elements should be science-fiction?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Atomic Betty was terrible. Thanks for bringing it up, rear end in a top hat.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I guess I mean that it tries to have, at its core, a serious story, even if there's lots of comedy on the side. The suggestions so far look promising. My daughter dug out my Space Academy DVD set that I bought in a fit of nostalgia a few years ago and she really likes it, so I thought I'd try to track down similar things.

I haven't actually seen it, so I can't offer a personal recommendation, but I know a couple people who like Sarah Jane Adventures which is a spinoff of Doctor Who that was more kid friendly. On a side note, Doctor Who is also pretty kid friendly most of the time.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
The weirdest thing is that its an entire song. Also, who hated Duck Dodgers? I thought it was a rather well done comedy spoof.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sockser posted:

Atomic Betty was terrible. Thanks for bringing it up, rear end in a top hat.

I never actually watched the show, it was just the first thing I thought of when I thought of girl lead + space adventures. That sort of thing generally tends to be targeted at boys instead already, and there haven't been too many space adventure shows lately.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Do yourself a favor and don't bother looking up the other Filmation live-action sci-fi shows. You may think Space Academy isn't goofy, but I guarantee you'll find Jason of Star Command and Ark 2 are insane.

That's a tall order for serious sci-fi with strong female leads, but I think I have a few.
Exo-Squad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnpzJ9OJg90
Galaxy Rangers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EoBl5uBfU
Wing Commander Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bzEMITUq_w

Sorry they're all cartoons, but if you're looking for live-action shows along those lines, you're going to come up short unless you're okay with sentai shows.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

Rhonne posted:

I'm guessing it's some kind of unwritten code of honor to bring up Megadeth every time Duck Dodgers is mentioned? Because I'd have no problem with that at all.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just caught up with the latest 2 episodes of Ben 10: Omniverse. The episodes themselves were okay and had some good parts, but holy poo poo those designs on Kevin and Gwen. What the hell were they thinking? Kevin looks like a clown and Gwen looks like she's wearing her old clothes she's clearly grown out of.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

FrostedButts posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't bother looking up the other Filmation live-action sci-fi shows. You may think Space Academy isn't goofy, but I guarantee you'll find Jason of Star Command and Ark 2 are insane.

That's a tall order for serious sci-fi with strong female leads, but I think I have a few.
Exo-Squad

Galaxy Rangers

Wing Commander Academy

Sorry they're all cartoons, but if you're looking for live-action shows along those lines, you're going to come up short unless you're okay with sentai shows.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I dimly remember both Ark II and Jason of Star Command from when they were on TV, and I particularly remember being miffed that Jason of Star Command replaced Space Academy. Jason is on Netflix and I tried watching it and yes it suuuuuuuucks.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Both Tron and Motorcity have been sent to the Siberia of timeslots, midnight and 12:30 AM respectively on Monday mornings. Assumedly to ride out the rest of their produced episodes.

An ignominious end to two shows I really liked. What a bummer.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Both Tron and Motorcity have been sent to the Siberia of timeslots, midnight and 12:30 AM respectively on Monday mornings. Assumedly to ride out the rest of their produced episodes.

An ignominious end to two shows I really liked. What a bummer.

I think I heard somewhere that Tron: Uprising was intended to be a one season show with 18 episodes. That might explain why we haven't heard any news of its cancellation. I'm still really bummed about Motorcity, but it seemed far too lavish and most likely expensive to survive. That combination of Flash and CGI is one of the most gorgeous pieces of animation ever assembled for television.

I'm very disappointed that Disney XD won't continue with these original programs because without them the channel is basically Marvel TV. They've already ordered a new Avengers series, a Hulk series and are probably going to renew Ultimate Spider-Man because it's essentially Family Guy and kids eat the crap up with a spoon.

Outside of that, Disney XD has nothing except a handful of sitcoms and leftovers from Disney Channel.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

horriblePencilist posted:

Out of curiosity, what does everyone think of The Looney Tunes show? (I am referring to the one that aired 2011-now.)

Personally, I love it. I know a lot of people complained about for the many, many changes it did (Sitcom-format, Lola's insane, Taz is a pet), but they all go so well together to create this really fantastic show. Practically every character is awful in one way or another, especially Daffy, who is probably the biggest jerk in any cartoon (that includes Gruncle Stan).

In my book, it's really hit or miss, more often than not to the miss side, but never offensively so. But it's had some pretty good episodes, definitely. I think I like it just because it introduces a new generation of kids to the Looney Tunes in a fashion that isn't blatantly awful. I also think it's done a good job of repurposing a lot of the characters.

Daffy and Porky are both pretty much nailed but I often feel like Bugs's character is inconsistent and weird.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 18, 2012

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FrostedButts posted:

I'm very disappointed that Disney XD won't continue with these original programs because without them the channel is basically Marvel TV. They've already ordered a new Avengers series, a Hulk series and are probably going to renew Ultimate Spider-Man because it's essentially Family Guy and kids eat the crap up with a spoon.

Outside of that, Disney XD has nothing except a handful of sitcoms and leftovers from Disney Channel.
Disney XD is essentially Disney Channel but intended for boys instead of girls. They're very quick to kill off shows on it- I don't remember any show getting renewed past two seasons.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

FrostedButts posted:

I think I heard somewhere that Tron: Uprising was intended to be a one season show with 18 episodes. That might explain why we haven't heard any news of its cancellation.

That's what I've heard too, but that doesn't warrant putting it at 12 AM monday morning.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, but this is the same company that has a potential hit on their hands and then goes "Nah, we're good with like 10 episodes until godknowswhen 2013".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

Disney XD is essentially Disney Channel but intended for boys instead of girls. They're very quick to kill off shows on it- I don't remember any show getting renewed past two seasons.

Didn't Phineas and Ferb start out on Disney XD? Of course they seem to schedule new episodes of that show with a dartboard...

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

That's what I've heard too, but that doesn't warrant putting it at 12 AM monday morning.

raditts posted:

Didn't Phineas and Ferb start out on Disney XD? Of course they seem to schedule new episodes of that show with a dartboard...

This is all part of Disney's warped logic as evident with their sloppy DVD releases.

Phineas and Ferb is easily the strongest cartoon Disney has in their arsenal as its been around longer than just about any other show on their channel. The show has a massive merchandising force and, yet, it gets tossed around in the schedule as if it's teetering on the edge of cancellation. We don't even have a complete season set on DVD, yet Disney continues to release compilation disc after compilation disc after compilation disc. In a perfect world, Phineas and Ferb would remain in a prime time slot, air regularly in a solid afternoon block and have fantastic DVD season sets. This would take minimal effort on Disney's part and they might actually make a handsome profit from doing so.

But, no, this is Disney Channel and Disney XD: Where even if your show is a critical/ratings/marketing success, it's still not worth their time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do children buy season long DVD collections though? I assume that their marketing deparments have done the research and shown that "best ofs" do better, sales wise for the demographics Disney cares about.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 20, 2012

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cliff Racer posted:

Do children buy season long DVD collections though? I assume that their marketing deparments have done the research and showed that "best ofs" do better, sales wise for the demographics Disney cares about.

Even if this is the case, and it makes a certain amount of logical sense given that season boxes are inevitably more expensive than individual DVDs so parents are more likely to buy a single disk than a half-dozen for a treat/gift, compilation disks are loving retarded.

Why would you not just release individual volumes in order? It has the same effect overall. Compilations are just ensuring that there are sales out there you will never make because some kids favorite episodes will never be selected because they're less "popular."

More importantly, compilation disks are just sleazy because they're indicative of a dice-roll, minimum threshold view of customer satisfaction. They're a sign that a company only cares about short-term sales rather than repeat customers, and are willing to bank on unsophisticated consumers making purchases because of a recognized name on a box rather than providing a product that has a greater chance of making them happy and willing to come back for more. Its the same principle has me hating Nintendo these days, because Nintendo has actually built their entire business model around grandmas buying shovelware out of cheapo bins just because it has Wii on the box.

I don't like entertainment companies that are exploitative out of laziness rather than necessity. If you have to make a quick buck to keep your company afloat fine, but when you're talking about Disney or Nintendo, there is no excuse to treat your customers like crap.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And yet they have BOTH made screwing people around something of an art form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sanguinia posted:

Even if this is the case, and it makes a certain amount of logical sense given that season boxes are inevitably more expensive than individual DVDs so parents are more likely to buy a single disk than a half-dozen for a treat/gift, compilation disks are loving retarded.

Why would you not just release individual volumes in order? It has the same effect overall. Compilations are just ensuring that there are sales out there you will never make because some kids favorite episodes will never be selected because they're less "popular."

And is made even more bizarre a tactic since the entire series is available on Netflix Instant Watch, and whenever new episodes do come out, they're often available on On Demand days before they come on regular TV.