Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think a couple of photos might have been taken? Either way I really don't know how you could mistake that guy for being black. Not to mention how bloody famous that picture is, he just doesn't look black at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think a couple of photos might have been taken? Either way I really don't know how you could mistake that guy for being black. Not to mention how bloody famous that picture is, he just doesn't look black at all.

You are right. In the real photo, he doesn't. That's my point.

Im That One Guy posted:

So did they photoshop the background to change the context on this one too? There are multiple pictures of it from different perspectives and timings.
Yes there are. Which is why I found the one from the same perspective and timing and then noted all the differences.

quote:

And I don't know how you see the racism in it. It just looks like they bumped up the contrast on the picture inadvertently making his skin darker.
"inadvertently"

Let's not pretend for a second that there isn't a very long and disgusting history of the feminist movement capitalizing on racism. For many, "equality" is having what white men have - the privilege to ignore and abuse others when it suits them.

Rebecca Latimer Felton - the first woman senator and leader of the Georgia sufferage movement who argued against voting rights for blacks on the grounds that it led directly to the rape of white women. She was also a vocal supporter of lynching, something rare for a politician even in the darkest parts of our nation's race history.

If you want a more modern example, look at how low income health clinics have been under siege for decades, but until it looked like it was going to impact middle class white women the energy was focused on "slutwalks" and "media portrayal" instead of basic necessities and the right to be heard. Thank god Sandra Fluke was a Georgetown lawyer from Saxton, and not a minimum wage worker from the barrio.

Fortunately, there is a growing movement within feminism to push back against this, capitalizing on the power of blogging and social organizing to do things like reform university curriculum, direct the political re-awakening we have seen in the past 18 months, and just generally make sure voices are heard in the new discourse. Here is a brief summary of recent thought and series of links to some good blogs pushing back against the racism within the movement and how it needs to change.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Fried Chicken posted:

Here is the real photograph

The act was assault, and that should be condemned. But trying to tap into racism and altering other peoples reactions to give your picture more of a bite is utter bullshit.

quote:

Mystery man: George Mendonsa was 22 when the photo was taken.

He looks like some sort of ethnic G.I. Joe figurine.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's not pretend for a second that there isn't a very long and disgusting history of the feminist movement capitalizing on racism. For many, "equality" is having what white men have - the privilege to ignore and abuse others when it suits them.

Totally but I think you're misfiring here completely. And reading the interview with Greta Freidman doesn't seem to imply any sort of rape.

A Palestinian man argued with an Israeli soldier after security forces intervened in clashes between Palestinian farmers and Israeli settlers from the Yitzhar settlement

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Totally but I think you're misfiring here completely. And reading the interview with Greta Freidman doesn't seem to imply any sort of rape.

Greta Zimmer Friedman posted:

Greta Friedman:

I was working in a dental office on Lexington Ave. for two brothers, JD and JL Burke. All morning long people would come in a say there seems to be rumors that the was ending. Since I wasn't very far from Time's Square, I could just walk over there and see for myself. After my bosses came back at 1 :00 from their lunch hour, I went I, straight to Time's Square where I saw, on the lighted bill board that goes around the building. .. 'V-J Day, V-J Day!' That really confirmed what the people had said in the office. Suddenly, I was grabbed by a sailor. It wasn't that much of a kiss. It was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back. I found out later he was so happy that he didn't have to go back to the Pacific where they had already been through the war. The reason he grabbed somebody dressed like a nurse, that he felt so very grateful to the nurses who took care of the wounded. I had to go back to the office, and I told my bosses what I had seen. They said to cancel all the appointments, we're closing the office. They left, and so I cancelled all the appointments and went home." She was just 21 at the time.

Doesn't sound all that rapey to me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Armyman25 posted:

Greta Friedman posted:

I was working in a dental office on Lexington Ave. for two brothers, JD and JL Burke. All morning long people would come in a say there seems to be rumors that the was ending. Since I wasn't very far from Time's Square, I could just walk over there and see for myself. After my bosses came back at 1 :00 from their lunch hour, I went I, straight to Time's Square where I saw, on the lighted bill board that goes around the building. .. 'V-J Day, V-J Day!' That really confirmed what the people had said in the office. Suddenly, I was grabbed by a sailor. It wasn't that much of a kiss. It was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back. I found out later he was so happy that he didn't have to go back to the Pacific where they had already been through the war. The reason he grabbed somebody dressed like a nurse, that he felt so very grateful to the nurses who took care of the wounded. I had to go back to the office, and I told my bosses what I had seen. They said to cancel all the appointments, we're closing the office. They left, and so I cancelled all the appointments and went home." She was just 21 at the time.

Remember when wars ended?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's more cost effective to just keep the same ones going than re-deploy all over again and look for new excuses every time.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

[/quote]

Me neither.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Of course I remember.

(March 8, 2010)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Here, have a photo with ostensibly less controversy and much more :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Let's have fun instead of fights. Remember these?

Those made Poynter's grand prize winner for "Error of the Year" in The best (and worst) media errors and corrections of 2012. Lots of fun reading, only some of which is pictorial. But read it anyway. :)

Correction of the Year is from The Economist:

quote:

Correction: An earlier version of this article claimed that journalists at Bloomberg Businessweek could be disciplined for sipping a spritzer at work. This is not true. Sorry. We must have been drunk on the job.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

You are right. In the real photo, he doesn't. That's my point.
Yes there are. Which is why I found the one from the same perspective and timing and then noted all the differences.

"inadvertently"

You obviously have an axe to grind, but for what it's worth:

The photographer's name is Alfred Eisenstaedt, in case you want to accuse him of photoshopping and racism. He did die in 1995, though, so that might be difficult.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbGrQe17cU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Entitled: People are awful.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Lord Lambeth posted:

I haven't really been paying attention lately but did Walters really ask this question of Clinton?

Have some further stupidity from Facebook:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

prefect posted:

Let's have fun instead of fights. Remember these?

Those made Poynter's grand prize winner for "Error of the Year" in The best (and worst) media errors and corrections of 2012. Lots of fun reading, only some of which is pictorial. But read it anyway. :)

Correction of the Year is from The Economist:

My personal fav:

gently caress the sun

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
Is "journalistic rubbernecking" a real term? No? Well, it is now.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Chicken posted:

You are right. Photoshopping it to make him black and try to rile up "dem boys assaulting our pure white women" and then bringing a completely unrelated guy into the shot, re-positioning an old woman, and magically adding a guy to make it look like they are cheering it on is a new look at it.

This is the weirdest outraged post. :psyduck: He doesn't look like he's black at all? It just looks like a high contrast picture. Also, as R. Mute shows, there are multiple photographs of that moment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The life rune is a common one with neo-Nazis and other white supremacists. Here's Volksfront's take on it:

As I recall, the original Nazis used it as well as a sort of second-order symbol, behind the swastika and SS lightning bolts.

Nazis sure love their Norse runes, but to be honest it's a no brainer why. poo poo's pretty badass looking. Then there are also the other symbols that they used, like the Totenkopf ("dead man's head"), which falls into the more international category of skull and crossbones motifs. Before being adopted by the Nazis it saw use by Prussian King Fredrick the Great's Husaren-Regiment Nr. 5, a Hussar regiment Colonel von Ruesch.

Another cool symbol unfortunately adopted by the Nazis was the iron prosthetic hand of Götz von Berlichingen, a Franconian (today parts of Bavaria) knight and mercenary who after losing an arm up to the elbow commissioned an intricate iron mechanical arm constructed for his use, the prosthetic's posable fingers being strong enough to hold a sword but delicate enough to cradle a feather pen, or so the story goes.

His name also became associated with the phrase er kann mich am Arsche lecken "he can lick my arse", attributed to him by the poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who wrote a play about Berlichingen's life.

Unfortunately the Nazis appropriated Berlichingen's name into a Waffen-SS division name, the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen, whose emblem depicts Berlichingen's signature prosthetic arm.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The Nazis loved taking symbols that were otherwise kinda cool or at least benign and ruining them for everyone else. Admittedly a good portion of them were Germanic in the first place, but they were still ruined for most people(or maybe just runed :mmmhmm:).

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

SquadronROE posted:

Entitled: People are awful.

Chile can tell us what happens after something like that.

Not pictured: leftists enjoying skydiving excursions without parachutes.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

lothar_ posted:

Chile can tell us what happens after something like that.

Woody Allen takes over?

"During the Battle of the Bulge (Dec 1944), allied soldiers decorated their helmets with lace curtains, after realizing it provided excellent camouflage in the snow."

sometimes they made their own camo out of bedsheets. (Don't think this was at Bulge though)

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 18, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluo
May 25, 2007

quote:

The Home Guard (initially "Local Defence Volunteers" or LDV) was a defence organisation of the British Army during the Second World War. Operational from 1940 until 1944, the Home Guard – comprising 1.5 million local volunteers otherwise ineligible for military service, usually owing to age, hence the nickname "Dad's Army" – acted as a secondary defence force, in case of invasion by the forces of Nazi Germany and their allies. The Home Guard guarded the coastal areas of Britain and other important places such as airfields, factories and explosives stores.

British Home Guard improvised weapons.

quote:

The Home Guard pike was issued in early 1942 as the result of a note Winston Churchill wrote to the War Office in June 1941 ordering that "every man must have a weapon of some kind, be it only a mace or pike."

Unfortunately the War Office took this instruction literally and in July 1941 ordered the production of 250,000 long metal tubes with surplus sword bayonets welded in one end.

These weapons would have been o.k. in 1940 but by 1942 the Home Guard expected proper weapons. The production and issue of the pikes generated an almost universal feeling of anger and disgust from the ranks of the Home Guard, demoralised the men and led to questions being asked in both Houses of Parliament.

In many instances the pikes never left Home Guard stores as area and unit commanders were aware of how the men would react.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Crasscrab posted:

Nazis sure love their Norse runes, but to be honest it's a no brainer why. poo poo's pretty badass looking. Then there are also the other symbols that they used, like the Totenkopf ("dead man's head"), which falls into the more international category of skull and crossbones motifs. Before being adopted by the Nazis it saw use by Prussian King Fredrick the Great's Husaren-Regiment Nr. 5, a Hussar regiment Colonel von Ruesch.

And indeed, more recently, such as in the Great War, when Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Victor August Ernst von Hohenzollern wore the totenkopf on his hussar shako during the Verdun campaign (and indeed elsewhere). Good looking lad that he was. :)

HCO Plumer GCB GCM fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 18, 2012

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
In honor of yesterday's frontpage article:

The reason I'm posting this is not because of the image, it's because of who posted it on my facebook feed. This guy, whom I went to elementary school with, has recently been discharged from the military and he is not coping with civilian life, like, at ALL. He used to be a pretty stand-up guy but now he is seriously depressed and he constantly posts things like this:

on his wall. Just like, violence against friends, women, and Mexicans every week. So, when he posts about veterans standing guard over elementary schoolers, I can't help but think, "BD, it's a shame you're having a tough time, but you are the last person I want standing guard over children." I don't even think this guy should be allowed to have guns (he has many) at all.

Unfortunately, the people of Arizona don't have the will to protect themselves against psychotics and depressives. You don't even need a background check while buying a handgun if you get it at a gunshow, for chrissake!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

GirlBones posted:

Unfortunately, the people of Arizona don't have the will to protect themselves against psychotics and depressives. You don't even need a background check while buying a handgun if you get it at a gunshow, for chrissake!

In the interest of clarity, what the "Gunshow Loophole" refers to is private, person to person sales at gun shows. Private, person to person sales do not require a background check regardless of where the sale takes place. Gun shows are just a place where people looking to buy and sell guns congregate, but any sales made by a dealer require a check, but not a sale made by a private citizen.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Japanese sailors saluting the flag being lowered while their ship is sinking

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
from Ai Weiwei's "A Study of Perspective"

Tianmen Square

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The World's Worst Babysitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7hU6lI3Poc

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

The Nazis loved taking symbols that were otherwise kinda cool or at least benign and ruining them for everyone else. Admittedly a good portion of them were Germanic in the first place, but they were still ruined for most people(or maybe just runed :mmmhmm:).
Pagan tourists to Germany are advised not to mention their religion or carry symbols of their faith, lest they be thought to be neo-Nazis. I got that at the airport from the staff, so make of that what you will.

The Hakakross is actually Germanic in origin, independent/parallel creation of the swastika. The Nazis, of course, with their rear end backwards ideology, could pick either one really.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

GirlBones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZupCp0q1M

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

In the interest of clarity, what the "Gunshow Loophole" refers to is private, person to person sales at gun shows. Private, person to person sales do not require a background check regardless of where the sale takes place. Gun shows are just a place where people looking to buy and sell guns congregate, but any sales made by a dealer require a check, but not a sale made by a private citizen.

Do the ATF or some other law enforcement alphabet soup not see gun shows as a honeypot?

Also, nice Doonesbury ref Girlbones.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

syscall girl posted:

Do the ATF or some other law enforcement alphabet soup not see gun shows as a honeypot?
Oh they totally do, and almost certainly troll them for idiots and criminals to bust. It's hard to tell exactly how aggressively they do this though because half the people at any given gun show are raving paranoids who see federal agents behind every potted plant. (The other half are neo-nazi beef jerky salesmen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ufT_6Kgy0

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I hope we can post pictures of documents cause I stumbled onto this thing today while doing research on North Korea:

Unsurprisingly one of the main conclusions was that integrated combat units worked way better then segregated ones!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Also, nice Doonesbury ref Girlbones.

Every once in a while Trudeau hits it out of the park.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh they totally do, and almost certainly troll them for idiots and criminals to bust. It's hard to tell exactly how aggressively they do this though because half the people at any given gun show are raving paranoids who see federal agents behind every potted plant. (The other half are neo-nazi beef jerky salesmen)

This wouldn't have happened if the teacher had a gun.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I posted that video on the last page rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdIoEwfBfE

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread