Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BuffaloChicken posted:

Yeah, that guy looks pretty bomb - awesome job! But for a fair fight, pit him against my Colonel 'Iron Gut' Jameson.

You need a raptor tyranid corpse thrown in there somewhere, and it will be utterly perfect

(Seriously, good loving job, that looks outstanding :stare: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Yeah, that guy looks pretty bomb - awesome job! But for a fair fight, pit him against my Colonel 'Iron Gut' Jameson.

this is amazing.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Manifest posted:

That's a really impressive transformation.

Thanks! I quite like how it all came together

natetimm posted:

Any highlighting tips for someone with shaky hands?

Brace your forearms against your desk while you work, paint under a bright white light, and practice a lot.

Anyway:

My buddy has had unpainted guardsmen for the longest time. Yesterday I took home a damaged squad of five from his place to paint up for him as practice

His Guard are basically Tau collaborators and I wanted their look to reflect that. I started by filing off all Imperial icons. Then I switched to a white "ipod" style color scheme that seems to say "tech". Finally, I added iconic red stars which he has chosen as an icon :ussr:

Does the model seem techy enough for be obviously traitor guard? Should I consider adding Tau bits?

Also, SRM I tried your brush application method of rust and its killer. Cheers! :cheers:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

You need a raptor tyranid corpse thrown in there somewhere, and it will be utterly perfect

(Seriously, good loving job, that looks outstanding :stare: )
Thanks! Can I interest you in a Scout Sentinel, Rough Rider, or Griffon Mortar tank?

(Sorry to everyone who's seen these a million times.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Never apologize. These things are amazing.
[quote="Purgey" post="410636152"
Also, SRM I tried your brush application method of rust and its killer. Cheers! :cheers:
[/quote]
Happy to hear it! Also, thin your paints on that white! It looks a little chunky.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks! Can I interest you in a Scout Sentinel, Rough Rider, or Griffon Mortar tank?

:stare: Jesus loving christ. Don't apologize for being the loving master of this. You modeled a catachan riding a T-Rex while looking for something to gently caress up with his missile launcher. The sheer bad-rear end-ness of that unit alone should leave enemies awestruck, if not dead outright.

e: Just noticed the bionic leg on the triceratops.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Drybrushing is a highlighting technique where you deliberately shake your brush over the model. It's terrible for precision work, but if you choose a very limited pallet, you can get away with drybrushing a single color over multiple areas. I think that might be something you should look into.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BuffaloChicken posted:

New to me. loving owns. :drat:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BuffaloChicken posted:

Please tell me your Sly Marbo is Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Please tell me your Sly Marbo is Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.
Naw, everything else is fairly typical Catachan (though looking at Turok, he definitely could be a Catachan candidate). Here's some of the other interesting members of the force:

Squat Enginseer:

Some ladies, to go with the classic grenade-launcher girl (dude now has normal sunglasses, didn't like the gold visor).

Old Ogryns with fantasy Ogre heads:

A Space Marine to count as Straken, for when I'm allying with my brother's Marines.

Valk with a broken electric fence on the base, dino footprints, and a rex skull on the nose.

Catachan Storm Troopers:

Experimented a lot with Space Wolf heads and different skin tones:

The vehicles are also all named after beers - Arrogant Bastard and Storm King the Leman Russ tanks, Hobgoblin the Valkyrie, Ruination the Hellhound and Railbender the Chimera.

Here's a shot showing the army, including the counts-as GK Codex allies.

All the terrain has been suitably jungled-up now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

To go along with the catachan theme, I just finished painting my 2nd platoon commander. He's got a cadian body/legs, one space marine arm (I think?) and his other arm and head are catachan.

:ese:

Might not be the best, but after painting his entire platoon of 30 guys between yesterday and today this is probably the best he's going to be :v:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Bavius posted:

Exactly, that should be a fighta-bomba.

Speaking of Orks. I'm on my 12 ork boy at my paint station - please post some WAAAAGH! inspiring pictures models so I can finish up this 30 man squad by next weekend!

If you saw last years oath thread, you probably saw most of my Freebootas. Feels kinda shameful posting these guys after the awesome JP Cat's above though... And for the record, I hate painting yellow but keep trying!

Troops

Fast

RC Barrel bombs for my to-be painted tankbustas (need to re-size my other elite pics)

Heavy

And some HQ's

Including a Zogwort victim; Marine turned squig

And there's even more if that's not enough inspiration! :colbert:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So much amazing poo poo on this page. You dudes rule.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

BuffaloChicken posted:

I'm about to set off through the cold, soggy Danish winter weather to have my final latin class before Christmas break. In spite of that, your post made me laugh out loud at my computer. Thanks for making my day with your awesome Catachans!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Dexefiend, that Judicator is the poo poo. Nice work!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Dammit, now I want to run orks.

Some badass stuff on this page. I'm finishing up some Chaos Spawn for the oath thread, very simple paint jobs because I'm in a rush to get them assembled but it's definitely inspired me to do more stuff like it. Next step is turning DV Dark Angels into Plague Marines, which I've been doing while waiting for Green Stuff to harden. Hopefully I'll finish tonight, their first game is tomorrow!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I've been building some Fire Warriors, and I've noticed that like with Space Marines it's really hard to get the left arms to line up on the rifles properly more than 10% of the time.

Is this actually a thing or is it me being bad with positioning? I'm not overly bothered about getting them lined up, it just might look a little better if they did.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Vitamins posted:

I've been building some Fire Warriors, and I've noticed that like with Space Marines it's really hard to get the left arms to line up on the rifles properly more than 10% of the time.

Is this actually a thing or is it me being bad with positioning? I'm not overly bothered about getting them lined up, it just might look a little better if they did.

Like with space marines, certain pairs of arms are meant to go together, despite not being marked as such. You just need to mix and match the arms until you find the ones that fit correctly.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm thinking about doing my plasma guns like the GW forgefiend models:

What color base should I use for that? It looks like they picked some type of red and then progressively blended warm white into it. I use P3 paints if that helps.

I'm guessing it's some kind of bright orange they started with, rather than a red, but otherwise yeah, that would work.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Finally got round to my christmas present from last year, 12 days before christmas lmao.

Had a good bash at freehand on the shield and blending on the cloak.

That viking is gorgeous!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Here's a WIP shot of my Vendetta conversion. I'm using the Razorback lascannons (thanks goons, for advising me to get the Razorback kit instead of the Rhino ones!) and to barrels from IG heavy weapons teams.

It's probably a bit banal, but I just wanted to show off how I've magnetised the weapons, so I can switch them out if I ever need to. God I love magnetising things. I would magnetise everything around me if some sort of law didn't prevent me from doing so (probably!).

Fake edit: I just noticed those mold lines. They looked so faint I was originally going to leave them be, because they are on the bottom. Seeing this picture though, have made me change my mind. :(

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
'Sup magnetise bro :hfive:

I went for under/over double lascannons for the middle twin linked pair. You can see them in the first picture, middle right.

Those are for my Valkyries/Vendettas and my Vulture conversions:

I did some more work on my 'goblin town' scenery. Detailed the wood with a small drillbit and am considering adding string to look like rope. You guys think it works ok?

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
What started out as simply painting up some unloved minis for my buddy is turning in to a small project. Can't complain, though.

More Tau collaborating humans!

I'm quite torn on colors and ranking. Part of me wants to go for the look of an aircraft carrier flight deck of orange/purple/green shirts running around (at least for the crewmen). Then again, I feel that much color might look a bit clowny so I'm not sure. The model on the far right is a very crude stand-in to represent modeling flight deck crewmen differently than standard crewmen

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pilgrimski posted:

I did some more work on my 'goblin town' scenery. Detailed the wood with a small drillbit and am considering adding string to look like rope. You guys think it works ok?

Looks like it'll work out great, just remember to stain/paint it before using it. I want to make similar gangways and stuff out of cardstock and mesh from cheap kitchen spatter guards, it's a cool option for city fighting rather than climbing down and climbing back up again, and will make multiple level terrain more viable strategically.

So here's my first-ever real sculpt:

Mr. Maw - Milliput over a paper clip frame

And a much simpler one

Tickleberry - Green Stuff over a paper clip frame

The rest of the squad is basically Tyranid bits stuck into Green Stuff:

Huggles - you can't see the Genestealer arm sticking out from the front of his boy very well from this angle

The Tall Faceless One - more Tyranid bits

Hippety-Hoppity - a glob of GS with Tyranid bits stuck into it/him/it

Group shot

An the Plague Marines that will be getting basecoated tonight:

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Purgey posted:

I'm quite torn on colors and ranking. Part of me wants to go for the look of an aircraft carrier flight deck of orange/purple/green shirts running around (at least for the crewmen). Then again, I feel that much color might look a bit clowny so I'm not sure. The model on the far right is a very crude stand-in to represent modeling flight deck crewmen differently than standard crewmen

I think they work ok, the red/orange you have on that crewman is nice. As long as you mix up the bright with some plain or darker colours it will look fine. I think things will only get clowny if you mix several lurid colours.

krushgroove posted:

Advice!

Yes, they will be stained. Some army painter darkest and pigments. They will look like this when I'm done.

Those deamon things look great, and terrible... in all the best ways!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

If you saw last years oath thread, you probably saw most of my Freebootas. Feels kinda shameful posting these guys after the awesome JP Cat's above though... And for the record, I hate painting yellow but keep trying!

And there's even more if that's not enough inspiration! :colbert:

Zog me, it's bootiful!

Thank you sir, that Wazdakka is amazing. my boys are now 15 strong - 15 to go!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So I've ordered Dreadball and a team, as well as a paint set (and a palette), some glue and a set of brushes. What I'm missing is a can of spray paint for the base coat (well two actually since I'd like to be able to base either white or black). Games Workshop's sprays are £10 which seems a bit expensive. I see cheap sprays on amazon but I don't want to order a paint that's not intended for miniatures. Any good cheap sprays available (in the uk) or should I order from GW?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MrFlibble posted:

So I've ordered Dreadball and a team, as well as a paint set (and a palette), some glue and a set of brushes. What I'm missing is a can of spray paint for the base coat (well two actually since I'd like to be able to base either white or black). Games Workshop's sprays are £10 which seems a bit expensive. I see cheap sprays on amazon but I don't want to order a paint that's not intended for miniatures. Any good cheap sprays available (in the uk) or should I order from GW?

Go to your local hardware store and pick up a can of spray primer. I use Krylon typically, but I know people in the UK who just go to Halford's and pick up a store brand can there.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Crosspostin' Lost in Space Kazaks.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

They're adorable!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So with only a platoon (30 models left, out of almost 200 infantry alone; the end is in sight!) of guardsmen to go, I'm starting to turn my focus towards my space marines. Have a random assault marine:

Apparently this is really close to one of GW's chapters, the Doom Eagles. I just stumbled upon the scheme saying "these colors look like they could work on a space marine! :downs:". I still have some black and green marines I ordered off of someone that look half decent, but they aren't really my marines until I paint them in my own scheme. Still have some left overs from a few years back too, from when I got my hands on some AoBR marines and did them with a purple/blue scheme w/ gold trim. I might just end up doing that scheme on everyone but a few, or leaving those 2-3 squads as they are and calling them my veterans just so I can be lazy and not have to fuss around with stripping 30 more marines on top of the 20-30 I already need to work on :negative: It really doesn't help that while I might want to strip the marines I bought second hand, the bases that their previous owner put on some of them are really good and I don't want to gently caress that up :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pilgrimski posted:

The rope's a bit thick compared to the boards, and really just doesn't look like it's doing anything. Try thread, and try some reference. It really needs to go around the bottom spar as well as just over/under the planks - but then, if you're also showing nails/screws, it's probably not necessary. You could probably fake the over/under around the spar arrangement by doing criscrosses on top of the planks at the right points.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hixson posted:

They're adorable!

Ha, thanks, someone in the 40K thread said they look like they're from Beetlejuice, and as a child of the 80's/90's I suppose they could be! I think Chaos might be a easier than Orks to scratchbuild for (no plasticard, just smear Green Stuff around, and voila!), although possibly a bit less fun - I want to make some Orky RC bombs or something along those lines at some point.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up a Weirdboy.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Wow, I really like that OSL on his face!

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
More Tau-ish humans, this time a revised 'crewman' WIP

Very rough at this time. More filing and greenstuff filling is needed.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
From the Oath thread:

One converted Battle Wagon coming up!

Mouth closed:

And Open!

Finally here's the back view when the 'Ard case and Killkannon are off.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 19, 2012

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

CyberLord XP posted:

From the Oath thread:

One converted Battle Wagon coming up!

Mouth closed:

And Open!

Finally here's the back view when the 'Ard case and Killkannon are off.
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/YCvQT.png?1[

Gat drat! Awesome!

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

Bam! Done! This was a really fun project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Adrian Finol posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread:

Bam! Done! This was a really fun project.

That looks incredible.

In a prior post you had mentioned that you are loving your airbrush - what model are you using? It obviously is working out well for you.

• Locked thread