Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Can anyone ID the blacksploitation movie this Polish guy is watching at 3:00?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpOQ4jZdtms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Snowy posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238119/trivia?tab=mc

Says they watch Death in Venice in Bolec's office, and as far as I can tell Bolec is the dude with the silly beard. I haven't seen Death in Venice, but that scene doesn't look like it would fit into a Thomas Mann adaptation so I don't know what the gently caress. Maybe he watches it in another scene.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Its a very good movie and you should probably get around to seeing it sooner rather than later considering how bad its flopping in the box office.

Why has the movie flopped so badly? You would think the next collaboration between Brad Pitt and Andrew Dominik would be more popular. How was the film marketed in America? Did it get out to enough cinemas? Or was there a backlash because of how critical the film is of capitalism?

Really loved the film, and would like to discuss it. I don't know if I could write up a thread this film deserves. I remember reading the 'Assassination of Jesse James' thread last year or so, and that was pretty good. I think 'Killing Them Softly' holds up almost as well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Saviour posted:

Why has the movie flopped so badly? You would think the next collaboration between Brad Pitt and Andrew Dominik would be more popular. How was the film marketed in America? Did it get out to enough cinemas? Or was there a backlash because of how critical the film is of capitalism?
I think part of it is just that their revenue expectations for this kind of film were too high to begin with, but mostly I believe the theory is that it was marketed as a more typical mainstream thriller, which led to bad word of mouth that destroyed it because the wrong type of people went to see it.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 17, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, when I went to see it it was in the second week of release and there was still one walk out. It was during the Gandolfini hotel bit where they probably didn't get that you were supposed to be as annoyed as Pitt was by how much Gandolfini's character is just loving around not doing anything.

Personally, I loved the movie, thought it was great. I loved how shocking the ending was, even though in retrospect it makes perfect sense.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Snowy posted:

According to this website, it was footage shot specifically for the movie.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_53076-Chevrolet-Styleline-De-Luxe-2100-HK-1950.html

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Human Tornada posted:

According to this website, it was footage shot specifically for the movie.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_53076-Chevrolet-Styleline-De-Luxe-2100-HK-1950.html

Thank you! I had never seen imcdb before and could not find a source for that clip.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
What's the deal legally with slander/libel laws and portraying real organizations like the NYPD/LAPD as corrupt in movies?

Yeah, I know they're horribly corrupt in real life too, but is that really the only reason movies get away with it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

User-Friendly posted:

What's the deal legally with slander/libel laws and portraying real organizations like the NYPD/LAPD as corrupt in movies?

Yeah, I know they're horribly corrupt in real life too, but is that really the only reason movies get away with it?

They're probably fine unless they accuse real individuals of corruption.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

User-Friendly posted:

They've got bigger fish to fry, basically, from actually being corrupt as hell.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

First amendment rights are extremely strong for criticizing the government.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Does anyone know what Quentin Tarantino was actually doing in between Jackie Brown (1997) and Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)? I know even Tarantino would have a life outside of movies, and Kill Bill was obviously a pretty big project, but it seems like the guy just sort of disappeared for a while. Were there other projects which he abandoned or something in this time?

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I believe he spent a lot of that time writing Inglorious Basterds, which grew so huge and ungainly that he started working on Kill Bill to clear his head.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Does anyone know the first usage of the trombone "wah wah wah wahhhhhh" to punctuate a bad joke or shaggy dog story? There's a great example in the MST3K episode "The Amazing Colossal Man" that I can't find an excerpt of on YT (for anyone with the episode, it's when the food delivery guy asks the guard why they need so much food. After being given the official cover story, he presses for the truth and the guard says "OK, truth is we have a 60 foot man in the tent". Delivery driver pauses and says "Yeah, sure you do pal". Cue Joel and the bots mocking that audio punchline).
Just curious when / how it started.

e: Different key than I normally imagine it, but this is the sound I'm talking about : http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Does anyone know the first usage of the trombone "wah wah wah wahhhhhh" to punctuate a bad joke or shaggy dog story?

It's from vaudeville, apparently. Same with the rim shot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Years ago, I remember reading a intriguing review of an asian film where the plot was that the Yakuza was basically absorbing all the biker gangs in Japan, but one gang was resisting which results in an all out war. Anybody know what I'm referring to?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Does anyone know what Quentin Tarantino was actually doing in between Jackie Brown (1997) and Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)? I know even Tarantino would have a life outside of movies, and Kill Bill was obviously a pretty big project, but it seems like the guy just sort of disappeared for a while. Were there other projects which he abandoned or something in this time?

I read an article years ago where one of his acquaintances said he pretty much just smoked a ton of weed and watched crappy movies in his home theater during a big chunk of that period. He even specified not campy crappy movies, but Lifetime Original type stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I recently watched Enter the Void. On Netflix, so it was the Short Version, but I had no idea that there was anything cut at the time. I decided to go back and read the CD thread for it. Something I'm curious about is that a poster or two was utterly insistent that there was a part in the long version where Oscar looks in the mirror and sees himself as an incredibly disturbing vegetable-like monster. Others disagreed. Googling for it, I found what was IN the cut footage but... it really made no sense whatsoever to me, and I couldn't completely discount that the vegetable monster thing happened or not.
So
1.) Was there a vegetable monster scene.
2.) What's the deal with the cut reel The rest of the movie all the stuff seen is consistent with a banal reality where Oscar grew up and then died in a toilet. Except for the orgy. But in the cut reel there's apparently someone who may or may not be Oscar and he might be told by Alex that he's just dreaming? The synopsis failed to make any sense to me at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I recently watched Enter the Void. On Netflix, so it was the Short Version, but I had no idea that there was anything cut at the time. I decided to go back and read the CD thread for it. Something I'm curious about is that a poster or two was utterly insistent that there was a part in the long version where Oscar looks in the mirror and sees himself as an incredibly disturbing vegetable-like monster. Others disagreed. Googling for it, I found what was IN the cut footage but... it really made no sense whatsoever to me, and I couldn't completely discount that the vegetable monster thing happened or not.
So
2.) What's the deal with the cut reel The rest of the movie all the stuff seen is consistent with a banal reality where Oscar grew up and then died in a toilet. Except for the orgy. But in the cut reel there's apparently someone who may or may not be Oscar and he might be told by Alex that he's just dreaming? The synopsis failed to make any sense to me at all.

I was really confused by this post until I realised the mountaineering movie I was thinking of was called Touching the Void.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I recently watched Enter the Void.

1) I do not recall anything like that in the extended version. Although to be clear, the version on Netflix is the theatrical version, and you can get a "director's cut" on Bluray that has additional material (which I've seen), and there was one version that was even longer before that. I was under the impression it was only screened at Cannes, but maybe those two posters saw that version?

2) It's been a while since I saw it so I can't really give you specifics, especially for a movie like this. Regardless, I don't think that additional reel really provides any more insight into the film's narrative or is necessary. An orgy scene and more hallucinatory images pretty much sums it up.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
How did The Shawshank Redemption end up becoming #1 on the imdb top 250 list? I have nothin against the movie, it just seems odd that is has so many votes compared to every other title. Were their websites/online communities conspiring to make this #1?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How did The Shawshank Redemption end up becoming #1 on the imdb top 250 list? I have nothin against the movie, it just seems odd that is has so many votes compared to every other title. Were their websites/online communities conspiring to make this #1?

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that tons of people have seen it (if you ever watched TBS ever then you've seen it) and that it's fairly unobjectionable. Like, some great movies are pretty contentious which would gently caress up a score aggregate.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

In the early days of the IMDb top 250, it was in a war with The Godfather for the coveted #1 spot.

And apparently a lot of people don't like The Godfather.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Shawshank is really pretty, well-acted, and elegant while aso being relatively new, always on TV, in color and not particularly challenging. Plus it stars a really famous semi-cult actor (Freeman) and it's somehow still under-discussed enough that people feel defensive about their love for it.

That's not a dig, I think it's a really good movie, but it's like a perfect storm for capturing the hearts of people just getting into movies.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I got into movies 2 years ago or something and that [Shawshank #1] always seemed so weird to me. The other top 5 stuff like The Godfather and The Good the Bad and The Ugly, you always read and hear about in books and tv as cultural treasures. Only top250 treats Shawshank like it's the second coming of christ. This isn't to say that I don't like the film, but I think penis hits it on the head when he lines up those criteria that make it the perfect film to love and defend.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

csidle posted:

penis hits it on the head

It seems odd at first that it's so high on the list but it makes sense once you think about it. It's definitely a crowd-pleaser, and that's what the IMDB top 250 is, right? A crowd-sourced best-ever list.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I don't think it has to do with some kind of conspiracy or campaign to get it to #1. All the casual movie watchers I know seem to love it.

The IMDb list is dominated by younger votes so it makes sense that a film that many of the "internet generation" (for lack of a better term) saw at a young and impressionable age would be cemented in as "one of the best."

I was bored so I did some basic correlation analysis of the top 250 list. There's a strong correlation between IMDb rating and the number of votes a film gets (this suggests that people come on the IMDb list to vote for 9s and 10s rather than films they feel are just average and/or care more about the top 10 or so compared to films 200-250). Also there's a strong correlation between film release year and the number of votes which shows that IMDb is dominated by people who want to vote for newer films. That's what I would've guessed anyway but it was nice to verify the numbers.

I've been trying to complete the 250 list for a few years and I don't know if I'll ever conquer the thing. There's always 2-3 new releases that popup and enter the list.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's probably the least offensive of the top movies so it doesn't get a lot of hate votes. Some people will vote down old and black and white movies, and sci-fi/fantasy movies and Brad Pitt movies, but Tim Robbins is pretty harmless (as in not tabloid fodder). And the movie doesn't have any romantic subplot (or women, like the other unreasonably high on the list 12 Angry Men).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

unreasonably high on the list 12 Angry Men).

You crazy.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Well I'm sure you'd agree 12 Angry Men isn't the 6th best movie of all time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You're right, it should be replaced with Anatomy Of A Murder.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You're right, it should be replaced with Anatomy Of A Murder.

But still right there below Ghostbusters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Schweinhund posted:

Well I'm sure you'd agree 12 Angry Men isn't the 6th best movie of all time.

As far as completely arbitrary lists go I have no problem with its placement.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Thanks for the answers - the reasons you gave make sense. I just thought there might have been some organized online movement to have a more recent movie rated high, rather than always deferring to movies considered classic, a kill your idols movement, so to speak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure I'd really call an 18 year old movie "recent."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure I'd really call an 18 year old movie "recent."

Culturally it is, though. It's on film stock that doesn't look "wrong" to modern eyes like the '60s stuff, the acting and editing styles are still contemporary and popular, the actors are still working and relevant, and so on. There's no real distance between its cinematic style and that of today.

e - oh and it's a period piece so the clothes look intentional and inconspicuous, unlike a lot of early 90s stuff which is dated by its fashion.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Looking at it closer, it has a very high percentage of 10 votes: 58.2%. Of the top 10 movies, only Godfather is also above 50%. So I guess my "least hated" theory is wrong. A lot of people just think it's perfect I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

penismightier posted:

Shawshank is really pretty, well-acted, and elegant while aso being relatively new, always on TV, in color and not particularly challenging. Plus it stars a really famous semi-cult actor (Freeman) and it's somehow still under-discussed enough that people feel defensive about their love for it.

That's not a dig, I think it's a really good movie, but it's like a perfect storm for capturing the hearts of people just getting into movies.

I think TBS showing it non-stop was a major factor. The last time I had cable was when I was in a dorm and it was perfect for rainy Saturday afternoons and lazy Sundays when you have a mild hangover. Do they still show it non-stop?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Schweinhund posted:

Looking at it closer, it has a very high percentage of 10 votes: 58.2%. Of the top 10 movies, only Godfather is also above 50%. So I guess my "least hated" theory is wrong. A lot of people just think it's perfect I guess.

Well, there's also the rule about online ratings where 99% of people wouldn't notice if you took away every button but the "10" and "1" ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

I've been trying to complete the 250 list for a few years and I don't know if I'll ever conquer the thing. There's always 2-3 new releases that popup and enter the list.

Just copy the list to a word document and put the date at the top. Finish that list completely, and once it's been 6 months or a year from whatever day you copied it check the new list.

I think the IMDB top 250 is an interesting cultural document. My top ten movies wouldn't resemble there's, but that's to be expected of an aggregate. There's a shocking amount of depth despite the more modern bias it has, the oldest movie on the list is from 1922 (Nosferatu) and they have movies from every subsequent decade.

I keep meaning to work my way through it, but I haven't seen Godfather 2 (I know) and I never seem to be in the mood for it, maybe I should try working from the bottom up.