Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

some texas redneck posted:

This, and the whole "let off the gas and the car actually slows down!" part.

I've taken to throwing the work van into first when I have to creep in a parking lot. Torque converter or no it allows for surprisingly fine speed control with just the accelerator. Anything to keep me from doing the gas/brake dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eberbs posted:

The Price is a great deal but its not that unusual on Vancouver island, Cheap cars galore.

I noticed the rad hose is actually the wrong hose, that will soon be replaced along with all the usuall tune-up bits (cap,rotor,plugs,wires ect).

Also nice to hear from some B.C goons.

That upper hose may actually be the right one, I'm not sure. There are a few different designs depending on year and whether ac is installed or not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mutt2jeff posted:

So, I pulled the intercooler and inspected the bypass valve, and also changed the vacuum line arrangement so that it get vacuum post intercooler and not at the throttle body. Also fixed some badly positioned seals on the air fittings. Gained a couple PSI, but am still short of where it ought to be. At this point, I think the culprit is probably an old supercharger belt slipping. For christmas I am getting myself a smaller supercharger pulley and new bypass valve, so I will put on the new belt then.

If your bypass valve is the original one, then I'd bet that's the culprit. Have fun replacing it, it's a bitch and the plastic tube it's connected to is held on by a tiny plastic tab. If the tab breaks, then you need to replace the whole tube which goes to the supercharger inlet and requires most of the front of the car to be disassembled.

I put a Detroit Tuned valve in when I did it and the new valve made a huge difference in boost, the old one was obviously bad when I inspected it after removal.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

kastein posted:

That upper hose may actually be the right one, I'm not sure. There are a few different designs depending on year and whether ac is installed or not.

Interesting. Well I don't even know if the ac works or not but it will most likely be coming out either way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

meatpimp posted:

If your bypass valve is the original one, then I'd bet that's the culprit. Have fun replacing it, it's a bitch and the plastic tube it's connected to is held on by a tiny plastic tab. If the tab breaks, then you need to replace the whole tube which goes to the supercharger inlet and requires most of the front of the car to be disassembled.

I put a Detroit Tuned valve in when I did it and the new valve made a huge difference in boost, the old one was obviously bad when I inspected it after removal.

Yeah the spring on the stock one breaks/wears out and you get lovely boost.

You'll love the pulley though. That plus an intake is a nice upgrade and makes a wicked noise

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

General_Failure posted:

I didn't know Quaife did them. Probably cost more than I get in a year but that's pretty awesome.

Not quite that bad, but they're still pretty expensive. They made a close ratio set for the 5 speed used in the 2000-2011 Focus that cost something like $8500, and IIRC were a make to order item so throw a 6-8 week lead time and shipping charges from Europe on top of that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

Not quite that bad, but they're still pretty expensive. They made a close ratio set for the 5 speed used in the 2000-2011 Focus that cost something like $8500, and IIRC were a make to order item so throw a 6-8 week lead time and shipping charges from Europe on top of that.

That's still pretty scary but then when you consider that some people throw $5000+ at a mechanic to fix some more major issues with their car it doesn't look so bad.

Sure I've never even owned a car worth nearly that but I was expecting something in the tens of thousands for something totally custom like that especially because I imagine roughly 100% of their clients would be in the competitive motorsports industry.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I didn't pull it or anything, but I did operate the plunger and feel the spring tension. It actually felt really good, which is why I am leaning a bit more to the belt. Either way, its getting replaced.

I already have a glorious sounding Alta intake, but am definitely ready for a new pulley.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Not my ride, my friends 89 Isuzu I-Mark.
Helped him do a full tune up, still a little more to do tonight.

Under the valve cover doesn't look to bad. timing belt looks good but is loose as poo poo and slaps around, going to see if it can be re-tensioned without taking the motor mount out.And it will be replaced soon regardless.

Shop dog!

Just some of the old poo poo, cap and rotor where hosed, we took it out for a quick drive after and it idles way better and drives much smoother.

Back together, for now.

Still to come:

O2 sensor, motor mounts, timing belt\tensioner\idler, water pump, re-cored rad and thermostat.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I went outside to re-torque my lug nuts after my winter tire swap. Only to find one of them missing. A quick trip down to my local parts store and I have a working lug nut. But it is a different size socket than my existing ones. So now I marked the top with some of the wife's nail polish and when I pull them off in the spring I will have (19) 19mm lugs and one 13/16's lug. I also shot off a note to tire rack asking them if I can get another one of the 19mm lugs that they sent me in 2010 when I ordered the snow tires/wheels. So I have one purple lug nut on my RF wheel, only to let me know to bring two sockets in the spring. :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I sniffed the fuse / relay panel under the dash. The indicator relay has been acting up and I have to give the panel a good whack to get it going again. Smells funny down there. Well, pay day is tomorrow and getting another one was slated as the first stop. The only spare I have is a weird DIN mount one so I just have to wait.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Bad milling from the factory on my 300cd's oil filter housing gasket surface. That's not gasket material near the middle-right :( This issue might be why the MB dealer supplied an updated thicker gasket instead of a cardboard type.

This junkyard 280ce is trashed but has a set of 4 color-matched hubcaps and a sweet Heckblende in the trunk.

I'm prepping my 300cd for sale, and boy am I not looking forward to the private-party selling process at all. I just hope I find a buyer who isn't crazy and won't demand 90% off my reasonable asking price :cry:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I decided that the stock Sahara decals had to go as soon as I bought my Jeep. I always thought that name was inappropriate for what is included in the trim level (at least for the current JK's anyways).

Here we are immediately after some liberal application of heat from my heat gun (thank you PowerFist). Peeled right off with very little effort. As expected, there was a significant amount of glue residue left over.

Nothing a little Goo-Gone can't fix.

The end result. Given that I have owned an FB, FC and there currently resides an RX-8 in the garage, I think this would be appropriate.
Thanks to Jamal for the apt decals as well. I think it kind of sounds like a JDM sub model now - Oh god, what have I done?!

The passenger side mirrors the drivers side.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

eberbs posted:

Not my ride, my friends 89 Isuzu I-Mark.
Helped him do a full tune up, still a little more to do tonight.

Under the valve cover doesn't look to bad. timing belt looks good but is loose as poo poo and slaps around, going to see if it can be re-tensioned without taking the motor mount out.And it will be replaced soon regardless.

Shop dog!

Just some of the old poo poo, cap and rotor where hosed, we took it out for a quick drive after and it idles way better and drives much smoother.

Back together, for now.

Still to come:

O2 sensor, motor mounts, timing belt\tensioner\idler, water pump, re-cored rad and thermostat.

So I was going to help my friend do the transmission oil last night and found that the fill bolt on the tranny is round with one flat spot, How the gently caress do you get it out? I tried vice grips but theres no room to get a good grip. Any suggestions would be great. Also to check the oil level in this tranny you pull the speedo cable and check it there :iiam:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I bought the indicator flasher today. They work properly again. Went shopping in a different town. Such a mind numbingly boring drive. 60km of straight country road each way. Went car spotting in town after the shopping was done. Not much to see except a 1970-ish red larger MB sedan peeking its nose out of a carport which was slowly being covered by foliage. Strangely there's another about 1km away from their buried in long grass too.

I also priced a self resetting 30A blade breaker. I have an inkling that the Fairlane's ride leveling may still work but was disconnected because it was used for towing. May well be wrong but you never know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

We were going out and I see a loving notice on the SHO's window that it's been labeled as abandoned and they're going to tow it. They claim it hasn't been moved in 90 days which is bullshit as I just moved it back to the street a week ago. One of my neighbors is being a bitch because their daughter moved home and they feel the entire street belongs to them.

I swear I'm going to toss broken glass out there.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

God drat it.

We were going out and I see a loving notice on the SHO's window that it's been labeled as abandoned and they're going to tow it. They claim it hasn't been moved in 90 days which is bullshit as I just moved it back to the street a week ago. One of my neighbors is being a bitch because their daughter moved home and they feel the entire street belongs to them.

I swear I'm going to toss broken glass out there.

Bet you won't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wallaka posted:

Bet you won't.

I'm so annoyed! This happened once before years ago but in that case my neighbor stole the plate off my car.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'm so annoyed! This happened once before years ago but in that case my neighbor stole the plate off my car.

That's pretty hosed up, the only reason I'm ok with living where I do is no HOA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wallaka posted:

That's pretty hosed up, the only reason I'm ok with living where I do is no HOA.

I don't have one now. I live on a public street but one of my neighbors seriously thinks they own the block. I'm fairly certain they cut the brake line on another car I had out there.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

wallaka posted:

My HoA essentially disbanded about the time I bought my place. It was then sourced out to a known piss-poor management company. I just got an invoice for ~$400 for the next year.

I can't say that I am pleased, as the grounds are not taken care of, the streetlights don't work, and there is nothing being done about cleaning up the abandoned (forclosed) properties. I really should have asked to see the agreements before I signed the paperwork. :suicide:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Viggen posted:

My HoA essentially disbanded about the time I bought my place. It was then sourced out to a known piss-poor management company. I just got an invoice for ~$400 for the next year.

I can't say that I am pleased, as the grounds are not taken care of, the streetlights don't work, and there is nothing being done about cleaning up the abandoned (forclosed) properties. I really should have asked to see the agreements before I signed the paperwork. :suicide:

Hindsight is a bitch, wow. Umm...my neighborhood was built in the 70's, no streetlights, I have a 1 acre lot and cut my own grass. I'm also in a suburb of Montgomery, AL, so there's a 99% chance you still have me beat.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

wallaka posted:

I'm also in a suburb of Montgomery, AL, so there's a 99% chance you still have me beat.

Well, yes, and no. NoCal/NV probably isn't that far off. With the lack of jobs (and dropping property values), it's just going further downhill. It's sill a fairly nice place to be, and MUCH better than my last rental, but.. well, the world is changing without us, it seems.

This house was built in an entirely NEW suburb in the early 2000s. The streets are already cracking (with nearly inches to show), the builder closed shop after the economy collapsed, yaddayaddayadda. #firstworldproblems

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Viggen posted:

Well, yes, and no. NoCal/NV probably isn't that far off. With the lack of jobs (and dropping property values), it's just going further downhill. It's sill a fairly nice place to be, and MUCH better than my last rental, but.. well, the world is changing without us, it seems.

This house was built in an entirely NEW suburb in the early 2000s. The streets are already cracking (with nearly inches to show), the builder closed shop after the economy collapsed, yaddayaddayadda. #firstworldproblems

Oh yeah. No CARB here but man it's full up with rednecks.

What did I do to my ride? I bought a 1979 big intake/big valve, pocket ported and .010 skimmed head for my 1965 Mercury Comet with the 200 inline 6. Now I need a 1.75" bore 1V carb, maybe a Carter YF. Maybe a mild cam too, already got 6-2 headers.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

wallaka posted:

What did I do to my ride? I bought a 1979 big intake/big valve, pocket ported and .010 skimmed head for my 1965 Mercury Comet with the 200 inline 6. Now I need a 1.75" bore 1V carb, maybe a Carter YF. Maybe a mild cam too, already got 6-2 headers.

I still kick myself for missing out on classic MOPAR. I still want one. A very specific one.

That said, hopefully my Swedes will carry me on to Valhalla on the twenty-first! :shobon:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Viggen posted:

I still kick myself for missing out on classic MOPAR. I still want one. A very specific one.

That said, hopefully my Swedes will carry me on to Valhalla on the twenty-first! :shobon:

Depends on if you've eaten any of their food.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

wallaka posted:

Depends on if you've eaten any of their food.

Swedes, or Mopar? They're both pretty drat greasy?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I called FoMoCo Oz today to try to get production numbers on the Fairlane. Everything I've ever seen pretty much says the Sportsman was only made in Tickford I6 configuration. It's a matching numbers V8 with the right mfg plate so I know it's not a dodgy.
I read about a total of 5 NL sort of sportsmans being made with the cobra V8. Who knows what the numbers are for the NF. I'll hear back from them tomorrow.

e: took a long shot and wrote an email to Mick Webb of SVO. The ones that did the custom NLs. Sent the email then immediately literally facepalm'd. I got his email from SVO's website and realised I couldn't quite place his name. I saw their address and it clicked. He's an engineering signatory I've talked to about the VW a couple of times. I feel like such a dope.

e again:
sooo... uh. The interior, suspension and drivetrain matches the descriptions I've found of a Mustang SVO. What in the hell is this car?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 19, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got my winter tires and steelies installed today. I loving hate Town Fair Tire. Saturday they didn't have my bolt pattern steelies in stock so they had to get them from the warehouse. I show up Monday after work and they shipped 4 bolt wheels instead of 5. I called them today at lunch and they shipped mine to the wrong store. Luckily by the time work was out they had them.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Tire rack shipped me overnight 3 extra lug nuts for free after I asked them which ones they sent me in 2010. Color me impressed with this level of customer service.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

_firehawk posted:

Tire rack shipped me overnight 3 extra lug nuts for free after I asked them which ones they sent me in 2010. Color me impressed with this level of customer service.

Tire rack customer service really is good. I bought a set of tires from them back in 2006 and they called me a couple of weeks later asking if I was satisfied with the tires. It didn't seem like a customer survey, but more like they wanted to know "Hey man, how ya doin?"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I spent a few hours cleaning and polishing my car last weekend and was feeling pretty pleased with how it was looking. Today I get home from a long day at the office and am greeted with this:

I hope the pdr guy can do something about it, really don't want to have to make another insurance claim :(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Developed a nasty stutter on acceleration!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This wasn't near as bad as I was expecting. Timing belt, water pump, idler pullies, thermostat all replaced.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Check your spark plug wires, and the coil pack if you have one. The ground specifically. I had this happen on my older supra once.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ozmiander posted:

Did it a little less on lunch, and not at all on the way home. Here's hoping it's a wet COP!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

dissss posted:

I hope the pdr guy can do something about it, really don't want to have to make another insurance claim :(

Ouch.

And PDR isn't going to fix that, unfortunately.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I picked it up from the shop (EPL in CT) today. I had the following installed/replaced:

-motor mounts
-trans mounts
-snub mount
-rear diff mount
-accessory belt
-3" downpies
-ASP catback exhaust

I'm in love all over again, the new mounts make this car feel 'solid' so to say. Very happy with all the $$$ I spent.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

some texas redneck posted:

Ouch.

And PDR isn't going to fix that, unfortunately.

Don't tell me that :-(

One of the local pdr places has a wizard for a logo so I'm going to try them next year - if not I guess it's just another insurance rate increase (fortunately insurance here isn't as expensive as it is in a lot of other countries)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I heard back from Ford. They couldn't get a whole lot of info on the Fairlane but apparently a total of 1031 were made. So there you go.

edit: cross checked the numbers. I think that was total NF-II Fairlanes with V8. Sportsmans are unknown. Everything the factory told me today matched the current state of the car so it's not a hackjob.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 20, 2012