Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That has got to be the ugliest and most crappy looking bike I've ever seen in my life. (The Honda thing).

(Not including rat bikes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

ThatCguy posted:

The K1600 GTL has been eating Honda's lunch in the Luxo-tourer market the past few years, so They're moving the oldwing's target more towards the harley demo for guys that want something nicer to cruise on. I know 5 guys that have already put deposits down on one. It's working.

This is the mathematical opposite of a supermoto. If this thing crashed into a supermoto the answer would be 1.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

This is the mathematical opposite of a supermoto. If this thing crashed into a supermoto the answer would be 1.

Wouldn't it be 0?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I was thinking inverse fractions, and bike over bike would make one. If it's positive and negative, it would be zero.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

The principle is identical to variable-length runners in a car, just executed differently; I've never seen it in actuality though. I'll have to do some reading about the higher injectors though, it amazes me the benefits are enough that it overcomes the cost of adding an entire separate bank, wiring, airbox space etc etc
Both variable length velocity stacks and secondary injectors are pretty common now on all sport bikes I think.

For those that don't know, a longer intake tract gives you better power in the low RPM range. It creates more suction in the intake every time the piston sucks air in, so to speak, so the air starts moving faster, and then when the piston is coming back up and the intake valve is closing, the velocity of the fast moving air in the intake is higher so the air crams itself into the cylinder more under its own inertia.

And a shorter intake allows more volume of air in so it's better at high RPM. So if your intake is variable length you can get better power all through whole RPM range. On a BMW S1000RR the upper tubes lift off to shorten the intake at somewhere between 9 and 11k I think.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

High Protein posted:

I can't stand this style of seat but other than that it's a cool hybrid of the XB and tuber/XR look.

Is that.. an oil cooler up next to the headlight? I see what look like lines running up there. Interesting spot to put it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So we're always having the beginner bike discussion with everyone throwing in their two cents. If you skim over those talks, here's my background: I started riding on an fz6 6 or 7 years ago (weekend warrior style), then after a few years, took a break for a couple years. I got back into it in the 2010 season. In 2011 I traded my "sister's" fz6 that she never rode for a Ninja 250, hoping she'd take to it more. She didn't really take to it, but I loved the little thing. It forgave my mistakes and gave me huge confidence even despite the old lovely tires on it. I rode the poo poo out of it last season and can confidently say it made me 100% better at riding. Unfortunately for these discussions, personal experience is usually all we have to work with. Well, not now.

When I was messing with my youtube videos yesterday, I noticed that the first videos on my account were from a ride in the fall of 2010, 1 season after getting back into riding, but before the Ninja came along. I'm actually riding the fz6 that was traded in the videos. I haven't watched them since I put them up I'm sure.

http://youtu.be/euMzxPie1n0?t=6m30s Watch this to see some piss poor riding....

I'm posting this at the expense of my ego because it really is night and day comparing my riding then and now. Skip thru that video (and the 2/2 follow up video) for various poo poo riding, including: terrible gear selection, terrible throttle control, poor shifting, multiple line corrections per turn...it goes on. The worst would be the gratuitous use of both lanes. It's pretty embarrassing, and the worst part is, I was still slow! I take those turns so much faster now, and in my own lane! I don't have any new video on that road to compare but if you want some find one of my route 22 videos in the related.

Seriously new riders: Get a tiny bike. Now, when I hear people say "it only goes as fast as you tell it" and "it's all in the wrist" when talking about a 600, I imagine them riding like I was in that video.

edit: maybe I should have put this in the MSF thread or the discussion thread...eh

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 16, 2012

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

I can't stand this style of seat but other than that it's a cool hybrid of the XB and tuber/XR look.

More like a panigale/Buell hybrid :p They've done well to hide the reinforcement that surely runs along the top of the engine to stop it folding in the middle. It's almost like a honda hornet; I'd love it. Probably heavier than it looks though.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I think that Honda is the best looking bike from those pictures. I'm scared I have brain cancer.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I also went to the bike show in Seattle this weekend. Some of the cooler pics:

There was a "moto gp" area - retired GP bikes - lots of lower level GP bikes, buy Nicky Hayden's 2011 ducati was there!

Look at them details!

Pedrosa is a midget

HP4

Honda

Drift triumph from the icon videos, NICKY APEX

Some crazy rally tiger

The best motorcycle in the world

675 Race bike

Gold wing control panel

Shame compartment on that new Honda

Just an M1 I think it's a detuned R1

M1 brakes

$37,000 (and lbs)

PIT STOP CHALLENGE

Villopoto's winning kawi

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Thanks both for the bike show pics.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That pit stop challenge looks super fun.

houdini13
Feb 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ynRoqDEs
some more road racing

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Holy poo poo, do they get more points for being colossal tits to each other?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
At those speeds, on roads that narrow, there's not exactly a lot of options for lines, so if you're not immediately back on the line after the pass you're going off, which leads to some REALLY aggressive passing. Every inch counts in a way that's not really true on your typical roadrace track.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aww man, kinda wish I would've gone this year just to check out the GP bikes.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Holy poo poo, do they get more points for being colossal tits to each other?

I went this summer to watch a Irish Road Race with Echomadman and it's really something else. The Isle of Man is cool but not having a staggered start really makes for some crazy scenes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm not sure what that Nicky Hayden bike actually was. I think it was a frankenbike of some sort because it had a trellis steel upper frame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
IIRC, Nicky held on to that frame until they dragged him kicking and screaming onto the CF one.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I can just picture this: Crazy neon wearing Kentucky Kid cussing in his accent to a bunch of Guidos pulling him away and lifting him up onto the new bike, all the while a bunch of pastel wearing ducati heads are frowning behind 600 dollar shades. Oh and the mechanics are rattling off instructions in italian as fast as they can.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Somebody rides around this awesome thing around Brooklyn all the time.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

eggyolk posted:

That is awesome.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN
Wouldn't that thing just utterly destroy your balls with every slight vibration? You would pretty much be sitting on your nads.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Found a few pictures from when I visited the technical museum in Stockholm this summer. It's a show bike, but still :fap:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Philanthropy! posted:

Wouldn't that thing just utterly destroy your balls with every slight vibration? You would pretty much be sitting on your nads.

He rides almost daily with a passenger. It's worth stopping every time he hits a red light.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Collateral Damage posted:

Found a few pictures from when I visited the technical museum in Stockholm this summer. It's a show bike, but still :fap:

I normally gloss over bikes like this but... drat, I want that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

eggyolk posted:

I want to like this but for every one that gets 'finished' and ridden around there are like a thousand that get ruined and trashed or listed as 'project bikes' on CL for $$$$, many of which started out as perfectly viable runners before they were processed. Good on that guy for actually keeping it moving and here's hoping it's a genuine survivor and not a nice bike he acid washed and crap to get 'just the right patina' etc.

(gently caress hipsters for making me jaded)

This may be a silly question considering it's an artbike but why would you want/need that much chain slack on a hardtail?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Snowdens Secret posted:

This may be a silly question considering it's an artbike but why would you want/need that much chain slack on a hardtail?

If you move that rear wheel back anymore it's going to hit that pointy rear fender. Looks like someone got lazy there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Considering how much tyres deform vertically at speed I can only assume that it has never actually been ridden like that, or at all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Since it's an art bike, probably not. Personally I wouldn't dare riding it with an exposed primary drive anyway.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

:gay:

This bike has been in the same spot unsecured for months now in a city where bikes get stolen near constantly. A good guard cat.

e: or just a really awful bike

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That flake isn't that far off the current line of H-D's paint options. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-bob.html#!pnw

and yeah Blasts are pretty terrible bikes but I bet you could make a pretty cool Mad Max looking all-roader out of one. Fix up a scrambler pipe: instant ground clearance. A cracked frame would be a proper send-off.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Considering how much tyres deform vertically at speed I can only assume that it has never actually been ridden like that, or at all.

Stellan rides all his bikes, he seems like a really cool guy. I'm normally not much into those kind of bikes, but his just catch my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXCsVQXGqo

And here's one of his later creations, "The Harrier".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uwgK72coU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nothing :gay: about metal flake.

Or orange peel.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

eggyolk posted:

This is :krad: I don't even care

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And here's one of his later creations, "The Harrier".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uwgK72coU

Oh, it's one of those center hub steering bikes! They're pretty neat, they have way less problems with suspension in a turn.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our sidecar rig is coming along nicely. Think we're gonna have it racing next spring.

It started out like this:

And then it lost a few parts. Here it just got the top frame braces (removable) welded up.

And got the steering geometry finalized. That took some fuckin work. Sawzall, bend, weld, sawzall, bend, weld.

Got the new rear wheel with custom rim and spokes laced up.

Then part of the rear subframe and the sidecar chassis.

And the cherry on top, my complete racing suit, now that I finally found some appropriate 80s looking gloves:

+5hp right there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

So... how safe is that going to be?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A racing hack? Probably not at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm not talking about the activity I'm talking about the welds...