Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I have looked through both pages and many threads, but I could not find any place to ask this. Is there a place to find a photographer on these forums? My wedding photos suck, because I was a bonehead and did not get a pro, so I want to make up for it with some Christmas photos. The husband who hates photos more than anything else has agreed, and I hope for it to happen soonish.

I'm just starting out with photography and eventually want to practice taking portraits when I can wrestle up someone to take them of, but everyone I know is super camera shy. I can't very well do a couples shoot of us alone and actually get decent pictures with real smiles instead of the horrible plastic smiles (or in his case mostly intentional stupid faces until I scold him) we both don when someone points a camera our way.

Edit: I'm in the Bay Area of California and willing to pay for the quality I want.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Valdara posted:

I have looked through both pages and many threads, but I could not find any place to ask this. Is there a place to find a photographer on these forums? My wedding photos suck, because I was a bonehead and did not get a pro, so I want to make up for it with some Christmas photos. The husband who hates photos more than anything else has agreed, and I hope for it to happen soonish.

I'm just starting out with photography and eventually want to practice taking portraits when I can wrestle up someone to take them of, but everyone I know is super camera shy. I can't very well do a couples shoot of us alone and actually get decent pictures with real smiles instead of the horrible plastic smiles (or in his case mostly intentional stupid faces until I scold him) we both don when someone points a camera our way.

Edit: I'm in the Bay Area of California and willing to pay for the quality I want.

Post in the wedding photography thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3191960 and read it too! Plenty of goons skilled here!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

mikey by francography, on Flickr

Portraits :woop: :woop:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Valerie by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't done a family shoot in over a year. I've been doing events and weddings. It feels like I'm starting all over again as I don't feel like I know what I'm doing, but I feel that the overall result is positive.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I love the faded feel on this, the moody tones and the tight crop. Vintage without the cheese.

I got to do an interesting engagement shoot recently, and these were some of the results. This was my first of the type, and I was certainly helped by the playfulness of the models; they were having a great time.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

The full set is over here, if you're interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetzar/sets/72157632152358717/detail/

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

I really like this one as well. The harsh shadows on her face give it a more casual but still fashion feel, but I like that you can still see her eyes.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

thetzar posted:

I love the faded feel on this, the moody tones and the tight crop. Vintage without the cheese.

I got to do an interesting engagement shoot recently, and these were some of the results. This was my first of the type, and I was certainly helped by the playfulness of the models; they were having a great time.

Couple tips..

I'd throw some light on the background to get it more white, and to remove the shadows. If you are worried about splash, you can use a board or 2 next to the light. Secondly, you might want to clone out the dirt on the paper.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Not a huge fan of the pose or expression, but I love the lighting and post.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
New project I'm working on, I'll be adding to this in upcoming shoots.

How to Make a Natural Looking Portrait 1 by McMadCow, on Flickr

How to Make a Natural Looking Portrait 2 by McMadCow, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Nice! I dig the idea

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I'm looking for some advice.

A friend/client met with me to discuss a project she is working on. She's looking to have me photograph her in a vintage, 1930s style way - her example photos were the two below.

I'm wondering how to best approach the lighting. I have access to off-camera flashes/umbrellas or constant lights (something I'm familiar and comfortable lighting with as I also work in the film/tv industry).

Any help would be appreciated. For the close-up I'm thinking a very scrimmed down softbox camera right, with maybe a small 150w light for her eyes (maybe), then another 150w light behind her, camera left, diffused with some opal or something, just to giver her a nice edge light.

Something like this?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

those two pictures are lit pretty differently. your lighting set up would probably work for the latter reference but for the first one I'd probably stick with continuous perhaps through some diffusion cloth.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Shot this last year, but at the time I only printed it large for a show I was doing. Had the opportunity to go back into the darkroom today to make one that would fit on the scanner.

Saint by McMadCow, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I wanna see some of your stuff in person. we should get a beverage or something while you're in my neighbourhood!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Shot this last year, but at the time I only printed it large for a show I was doing. Had the opportunity to go back into the darkroom today to make one that would fit on the scanner.

Saint by McMadCow, on Flickr

Love it. My favorite part of your work is how expressive the body language is.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

somnambulist posted:

Portraits :woop: :woop:

Can't believe no one commented on this. Love the colors/tones! :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8, I'm down. Hit me up at mcmadcow at gmail dot yadda yadda

nonanone posted:

Love it. My favorite part of your work is how expressive the body language is.

Thanks! :) I really try to get models to move around a lot. When I get to work with a model like this one who is comfortable and aware of how she's positioning herself, there's such a huge payoff. It makes the whole process so easy.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
How much harder is it shooting film for these shots? Much less spray and pray and much more making sure everything is right?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Clown posted:

How much harder is it shooting film for these shots? Much less spray and pray and much more making sure everything is right?

I don't really know, to be honest. I've never done my personal work in digital, so I don't really compare it that way. If I'm shooting medium format I've either planned out the shot or worked it out already by shooting a bunch with 35mm in order to find the best scene. I'll occasionally shoot alongside friends who work with digital, and I think I work at probably 75% of their pace. Some of that is metering and whatnot, but mostly it's because I'm somewhat exacting in my directing- but I don't think that would be any different if I shot digital.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Here is a portrait I did a while ago that I've taken a new look at as far as editing. Glad I still had all my shots from this session.

:nws: http://500px.com/photo/19961593

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Just got a used Fuji X100 and I've been playing around with it in the office all day. This is my best portrait thus far: http://500px.com/photo/20096447

Feedback for a newbie photographer?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Overture posted:

Just got a used Fuji X100 and I've been playing around with it in the office all day. This is my best portrait thus far: http://500px.com/photo/20096447

Feedback for a newbie photographer?

Not terrible! Try finding a better background. it'll make for a more interesting photo.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Not terrible! Try finding a better background. it'll make for a more interesting photo.

I have a few with actual backgrounds, but for some reason the depth behind him, specifically an office environment looked pretty cool. Also his face in this one was pretty spot on, but I agree a nice background would keep the focus squarely on the subject.

Thanks for the feedback.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Try to get more light falling on your subjects' eyes. The quality of light is nice, it's just not hitting his face the right way.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Overture posted:

I have a few with actual backgrounds, but for some reason the depth behind him, specifically an office environment looked pretty cool. Also his face in this one was pretty spot on, but I agree a nice background would keep the focus squarely on the subject.

Thanks for the feedback.

What I mean about better backgrounds, is more of a separation between the foreground and background. It'll make him *pop* more.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

McMadCow posted:

Paragon8, I'm down. Hit me up at mcmadcow at gmail dot yadda yadda

Two more in my staged portraiture project. Really loved this model.

The Process Behind the Perfection by McMadCow, on Flickr

A Helping Hand Finds an Intimate Moment. by McMadCow, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Chiming in to say that I really like this project. Excellent idea, and great execution.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I love looking at your stuff MMC, but the model's left elbow behind her back is really messing with me on this one.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Leviathor posted:

I love looking at your stuff MMC, but the model's left elbow behind her back is really messing with me on this one.

Didn't notice that before...now it can't be unseen.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Sonofabitch. :(
Oh well, that was a tough setup while still trying to keep her reasonably covered. I was actually more worried about how her fingertips would look.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Another quick one; grabbed a co-worker to model and another to hold a speedlight and headed to the stairwell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ahoy, portrait thread, been a long time. Here are some photos I shot for a series back in Summer, you can see the rest here; http://500px.com/DavidChilders

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Ahoy, portrait thread, been a long time. Here are some photos I shot for a series back in Summer, you can see the rest here;
Wow, I really love these.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Bottom Liner posted:

Ahoy, portrait thread, been a long time. Here are some photos I shot for a series back in Summer, you can see the rest here; http://500px.com/DavidChilders

Processing/lightning/composition on all of those are awesome! Really digg your style :)

My only "critique" would be that on the 4th picture I might have liked it with just a little bit more ambient light. But other than that, wow.

Edit: Hey you're the guy with the girl under the bed (Katie), I remember you! Been awhile. Glad to see more of your work :)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

These are great. I'd love to hear a little bit about how you used your lighting gear here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thetzar posted:

These are great. I'd love to hear a little bit about how you used your lighting gear here.

Sure thing, any photos in particular?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure thing, any photos in particular?

I'm most interested in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th photos. In the second and fifth, the touch is light, but it looks like there's a goodly amount of fill. Was that done with reflectors, luck, or just levering the dynamic range? On the 4th, the isolated nature of the light suggests a grid; what did you use?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those are actually all ambient, just a lot of curve work to bring up the fill levels. The 2nd is a composite shot of two photos of her, which explains the weird lighting. The 4th was a gold 20 inch reflector aimed at her, which is why shes so warm and bright against the trees. The 4th was just a matter of waiting for the sunlight's streaks to get to just the right spot on the rocks. Here are a few more outtakes that I really liked from that day;

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Those are actually all ambient, just a lot of curve work to bring up the fill levels. The 2nd is a composite shot of two photos of her, which explains the weird lighting. The 4th was a gold 20 inch reflector aimed at her, which is why shes so warm and bright against the trees. The 4th was just a matter of waiting for the sunlight's streaks to get to just the right spot on the rocks. Here are a few more outtakes that I really liked from that day;

Fantastic stuff, all of it, and thanks for the insights. So who are these people, and how did you end up photographing them?