Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

adventure in the sandbox posted:

So I really do actually need a third dog right? Paging paisleyfox, surely you can help me come up with a brilliant argument so hubby will ok this dog.

This 7-month girl is on my local Kijiji for $250.

I'm literally dying right now.

Ok so I want this dog and I found some puppies that I am interested in too!

kijiji posted:

JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS CORGI X HUSKY PUPPIES
(9 weeks old)

Christmas Specail puppy Package $450.00 per package and Option to a free Puppy of your choice.

I have 5 puppy packages available each package includes
brush
treats
collar
leash
pee pads
food and water dish
blanket
kennel

$450.00 per package and you can have for free your choice of one of these adorable Corgi Husky Cross puppies. They will be 15-25lbs full grown.

Can hold till after christmas or can delivery to (my town).

Wow! Pretty cool deal eh, $450 for some puppy accessories and then a free puppy?! Maybe I'll just buy the stuff and pass on the free dog.

A corgi x husky would be pretty darn cute, its a good thing they didn't post pictures :ohdear: Bybs are lovely but... those stubby little rear end in a top hat puppies would be too cute for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Ok so I want this dog and I found some puppies that I am interested in too!

Wow! Pretty cool deal eh, $450 for some puppy accessories and then a free puppy?! Maybe I'll just buy the stuff and pass on the free dog.

A corgi x husky would be pretty darn cute, its a good thing they didn't post pictures :ohdear: Bybs are lovely but... those stubby little rear end in a top hat puppies would be too cute for me.

For $450 from a byb the puppy better be altered and up to date on all its shots, but of course, knowing those guys, they aren't.

Oh hey, anyone want a free horse?

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pet/3471538343.html

quote:

Free registered arabian horse, she is 17 years old, very well broke to ride, suitable for an advancerd beginner as a step up horse or for an intermediate rider. She will make an excellent 4H horse. Her front heels are lsightly contracted. With two trims she is doing loads better, it should only take one or two more trims to be fixed completely. She needs a stall, no pasture. She has a tendency to founder on green grass but will do fine in a dry lot. Email with any questions!

Any bets on whether a kill buyer picks her up?

Ears
Aug 28, 2007

it's true
I'm near Lancaster, and that's the place you'll find the New Holland sales barn. If you Google it, be aware there are graphic and upsetting pictures. It has many meat buyers, and there have been some shady practices in the past. No water, downed horses, injuries. The usual gamut of horror.

This poor girl will probably be sold for meat - "I'll use her with my grandkids" stories abound.

I can't read these without cringing.

Also - idiot owner, kid in a dangerous act, no real control on the mare. Hopefully she gets a good home.

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii
I wish I could find a cheap/free elderly pony to keep my horse company, everyone around here wants way too much for grade "Christmas ponies".

I REALLY don't need another mouth to feed, though. Sigh.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I have two tiny horses I need to sell. I may post on Craigslist. I may post awful responses I get here.

Ears
Aug 28, 2007

it's true
UGH

quote:

Remmie is an adorable tb/draft colt foaled in April of 2012.

He is only 8 months old and already has a saddle on his back.
Dollars to donuts, someone has been in that saddle and they've already ruined this poor foal's legs.

It is important to teach foals manners, but they still need time to be babies. To develop physically and mentally - to learn how to be horses.

Especially draft horses who mature a bit slower.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3465750285.html

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Ears posted:

UGH

He is only 8 months old and already has a saddle on his back.
Dollars to donuts, someone has been in that saddle and they've already ruined this poor foal's legs.

It is important to teach foals manners, but they still need time to be babies. To develop physically and mentally - to learn how to be horses.

Especially draft horses who mature a bit slower.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3465750285.html

Draft horses get big fast, that means they can be ridden earlier. :downs:

(and the answer is No, No they cannot be ridden earlier. Their joints and back are still developing!)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I don't...what...how...

No. Nooooope.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I've seen the result of a boxer and lhasa apso. Love will find a way :3:

Edit for content. Well, here's a thing.

quote:

My border collie lab mix puppy Leila was stolen Dec.2nd. She was taken from her crate that was outside while I was doing chores. The Oregon Humane Society recieved my dog later that day and didn't call any vets offices to see if someone was missing an obviously cared for and loved puppy. She was adopted the 4th of Dec. I've asked them to give me my dog back several times, because it's in their power to do so, but they refuse to. She answers to Leila, "Leelee", and "Leelee puppy". The OHS renamed her "Lara May". She weighs about 50lbs. and has a small white spot on her chest and chin, with a few strands of white on her legs and flanks. She's 7 months old and is about the size of a fully grown border collie. If you suspect you see her say either of her nicknames and she'll react in a joyful butt wiggling way. There is a reward for anyone who finds her or helps me find her. Please call or email me at XXXXXXXXXX anytime with leads, and not rants on why to get her microchiped. AND TO YOU FLAGGERS,GET A LIFE!!!!!!! I'm trying to get my dog back who was taken from me by cruel hearted people and the OHS who didn't obey the protocol in adopting out animals by evaluating her for a longer time then two days.

Which makes me wonder, A) why was her dog crated outside while she was doing chores and B) why didn't she contact OHS herself when her dog went missing?

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 16, 2012

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
That person has been posting daily for a few weeks and changes her story every day. Just another crazy who doesn't understand how pets/shelters work.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Don't most shelters hold dogs that were picked up as strays for at least a week before putting them up for adoption? And wouldn't a dog thief keep the dog and not immediately surrender it to a shelter?

Lady is nuts.

Edit:

Looking through my local craigslist, I discovered that "labraheelers" are a thing.

...A thing I want no part in. Giant landsharks!

Problem! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 17, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Don't most shelters hold dogs that were picked up as strays for at least a week before putting them up for adoption? And wouldn't a dog thief keep the dog and not immediately surrender it to a shelter?

Lady is nuts.

Edit:

Looking through my local craigslist, I discovered that "labraheelers" are a thing.

Many places, the hold is three days. I mean, day one should be calling all the local shelters and vets to let them know your pet's description in case someone brings one in that looks like it, so unless there are extenuating circumstances (out of town and the sitter let the dog out, etc.), that's usually enough.

flyable
Feb 22, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Lady is nuts.

Edit:

When we found Starbuck they held her for 14 days while they contacted her owners (she had a chip). When the owners didn't come for her, they released her to me to be adopted. I guess it varies, but I think most have a waiting period while they try to find the owner.

It could be she wasn't spayed and the lady didn't want to pay or something. My ACC has a rule where to get back your unneutered dog it is $300. It's $70 if you agree to neuter your unaltered dog instead of taking them back as-is. Seems like a REALLY good policy, except I was told a lot of people just give up their dogs entirely rather than pay.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

flyable posted:

When we found Starbuck they held her for 14 days while they contacted her owners (she had a chip). When the owners didn't come for her, they released her to me to be adopted. I guess it varies, but I think most have a waiting period while they try to find the owner.

It could be she wasn't spayed and the lady didn't want to pay or something. My ACC has a rule where to get back your unneutered dog it is $300. It's $70 if you agree to neuter your unaltered dog instead of taking them back as-is. Seems like a REALLY good policy, except I was told a lot of people just give up their dogs entirely rather than pay.

I think that is a monumentally hosed up policy, holy poo poo.

flyable
Feb 22, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

I guess it is to dissuade people from having unfixed animals? From the website:

Non-Sterilized Dog or Cat Fees:

$300 to redeem or have animal sterilized for $70
Daily Board $15
Rabies Vaccination $15
Tag Fee $75
Microchip $20
Medical Fees (if applicable)
Transportation Fees (if applicable)

The ordinance says: "(4) Fees and costs. The owner of an impounded animal shall pay all impoundment fees, daily boarding costs, medical expenses and other costs related to such impoundment prior to release of the animal. These fees shall be established by the board. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the owner of an unaltered dog or cat agrees to have the animal spayed or neutered prior to release from the division, the owner shall pay the impoundment/redemption fee established by the board for sterilized animals."

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Superconsndar posted:

I disagree. It would for responsible owners, but if they are actually responsible then the chances of their dog getting loose should be small. But if they are irresponsible owners, they will either say gently caress it and get the dog neutered and pay the $70, or pay the $300 and be more responsible about letting their dogs wander or keep them better contained in the future.

Edit: Missed the part where people just give up the dogs. Still disagree though. Sure, there is a chance the dog might end up being euthanized, but the fact that the people are giving up the dogs entirely instead of paying $70 tells me they shouldn't have had the dogs in the first place.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 17, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cryingscarf posted:

I disagree. It would for responsible owners, but if they are actually responsible then the chances of their dog getting loose should be small. But if they are irresponsible owners, they will either say gently caress it and get the dog neutered and pay the $70, or pay the $300 and be more responsible about letting their dogs wander or keep them better contained in the future.

Edit: Missed the part where people just give up the dogs. Still disagree though. Sure, there is a chance the dog might end up being euthanized, but the fact that the people are giving up the dogs entirely instead of paying $70 tells me they shouldn't have had the dogs in the first place.

If Moses slipped his collar on a walk and I had to pay $300 to get him back because I refuse to neuter him based on a shelter's perpetual THE PUPPIES tears, I would throw the biggest shitfit imaginable. Holding a person's dog ransom until they agree to do what you want based on your organization's dog opinions should not be legal.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Superconsndar posted:

If Moses slipped his collar on a walk and I had to pay $300 to get him back because I refuse to neuter him based on a shelter's perpetual THE PUPPIES tears, I would throw the biggest shitfit imaginable. Holding a person's dog ransom until they agree to do what you want based on your organization's dog opinions should not be legal.
It's not the ACC that sets that fee. It's the board of county commissioners, and the ACC (as "an entity of the board of county commissioners") is required by law to collect it. Argue against the law all you like, but the ACC literally doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's not the ACC that sets that fee. It's the board of county commissioners, and the ACC (as "an entity of the board of county commissioners") is required by law to collect it. Argue against the law all you like, but the ACC literally doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Ah, that makes more sense if it's an actual ordinance. I was reading it as that being some ridiculous shelter policy and couldn't fathom how it was legal/enforceable. :downs:

flyable
Feb 22, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

Ah, that makes more sense if it's an actual ordinance. I was reading it as that being some ridiculous shelter policy and couldn't fathom how it was legal/enforceable. :downs:

Yeah, I posted the text of the ordinance above. It's definitely a county policy. I think a good idea would be to give people with a registered, up to date, current breeder's license a pass/discount. But I don't know how strictly they inspect/regulate breeding licenses.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Quite the interesting..rehoming ad.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I think snails are super adorable. I don't know why. Wanna hold that snail.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Superconsndar posted:

I just look at it as a mandatory fine for having an intact dog running loose, but with an option to lessen the fine by fixing the dog because that's good incentive for owners who really don't care either way. There was an intact male that kept getting out in town (like once a week at least from what I saw) and I would have loved for this system to be in place so the owner would have some sort of consequence for his irresponsible ownership. But, that's all I will say on this now cause it is derailing from the craigslist fun.

Most of the obvious trainwreck craigslist postings for my area were already flagged for removal. There has been a noticeable increase in BYBs trying to sell their "BIG BULLBOXERS", malshis, peekapoos etc though.

Initially, I thought Whight was some sort of line of pit bulls, and then I realized they were trying to say white.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
warning: must keep barrow of dog intact or he will scour the earth hungering for flesh

flyable
Feb 22, 2010
What is a pocket kitten?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
From a quick Google search, I guess they're Persians deliberately bred to be tiny. Because Persians don't have enough problems, I guess?

:what:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
That snail is a Pacific sideband snail and it makes me very sad to see someone trying to make money off of illegally collected native species.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

COME COLLECT YOUR MYSTERY PUPPY TODAY! We have no idea who these puppies will best be homed with, because we have no idea who the father is! Come down to the farm and throw the dice.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Even better, one of the merle pups has a lot of white around his ears, so no idea if he's deaf or not!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
It annoys me to no end that people are starting to have to put "standard" in front of the word "aussie" because there are so many goddamn stupid "toy" or "mini" aussies running around being completely pointless and aaaargh.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

ButWhatIf posted:

It annoys me to no end that people are starting to have to put "standard" in front of the word "aussie" because there are so many goddamn stupid "toy" or "mini" aussies running around being completely pointless and aaaargh.

Oh god yes this. You have no idea.

wtftastic, odds are the pup's hearing is fine. It's probably at no more risk of being deaf as the rest of its littermates. Odds are the breeder isn't testing any pups for deafness though.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh hey, want this dog?

Wait, picture's a little dark, here's a better one:

Hmmmmm.

(It's supposed to be a red Miniature Pinscher. Could be!)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Mirthless posted:

COME COLLECT YOUR MYSTERY PUPPY TODAY! We have no idea who these puppies will best be homed with, because we have no idea who the father is! Come down to the farm and throw the dice.

Bonus points for saying the puppies are "ready" to leave at 4 weeks. Hopefully you're willing to spend a week or two watching them like a hawk and feeding them formula and softened puppy food every few hours, as well as having the fun of trying to track down an open vet during the holidays.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

Oh god yes this. You have no idea.

wtftastic, odds are the pup's hearing is fine. It's probably at no more risk of being deaf as the rest of its littermates. Odds are the breeder isn't testing any pups for deafness though.

Are only double merle aussies at greater risk of hearing loss? I thought any merle dog with excessive white on the face or near the ears was at risk. Glad to know its not necessarily true.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

wtftastic posted:

Are only double merle aussies at greater risk of hearing loss? I thought any merle dog with excessive white on the face or near the ears was at risk. Glad to know its not necessarily true.

I think it's kind of a crap shoot. The hearing loss is related to the amount of white shown on the body, and breeders like to see ears fully coloured, but I've seen quite a few heterozygous merle Aussies with proper markings and hearing loss. I think it's a low enough likelihood to not be too worried if you have a mismark with a white ear. Being mindful of it and testing for it would be good though.

It's a lovely photo, and the pups are still potatoes, but I don't see any mismarks there.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm just imagining somebody trying to get a farm dog on the cheap and ending up with a corgi.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Mirthless posted:

I'm just imagining somebody trying to get a farm dog on the cheap and ending up with a corgi.

Corgis are herding breeds. They're not couch potatoes by any means.

Mine requires a good hour and a half of heart-pounding exercise before she's able to relax at the end of the day.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
They're just so stubby and cute! I look at them and all I am picturing is a fat dog on a couch eating candy

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Mirthless posted:

a fat dog on a couch eating candy

This is what happens when people who watch a lot of Cowboy Bebop and don't do much else get a corgi, yes. I find it incredibly depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ButWhatIf posted:

This is what happens when people who watch a lot of Cowboy Bebop and don't do much else get a corgi, yes. I find it incredibly depressing.

Oof. I imagine rescues hate it when pure breeds of anything make it into pop culture. I remember hearing some serious horror stories about dalmations after the last set of disney movies. Need more cartoons and movies with mutts and rescues imo.

• Locked thread