Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

I'm pretty sure "Video games made him do it" just makes people roll their eyes more than anything else.

There are a surprisingly large amount of people in the world who will jump at any easy explanation to a tragedy. Someone found that the brother of the shooter (who was mistakenly called the shooter) liked Mass Effect 3 on their facebook.

Scapegoat-ism ensued:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Someone ask D&D their stance on Drill Lances and Siege Spears.

But seriously in like a month nobody will remember the name of the game. Or they will and then someone like Fox News will try to show off the "Disturbing Gameplay". :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

machine guns manufactured in 200 AD.

See my personal favorite theory about that is Warriors Orochi is totally canon to the DW series and so Rachel and the Japanese characters taught Guo Huai how to make a machine gun and then when the True Ending happened he kept it but he just isn't sure where it came from.

It can also work for why there's tonfa and nunchuks too!

edit:

Parahexavoctal posted:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Dynasty_Warriors

(Apparently, Lanza was also homeschooled; Schlafly isn't mentioning that.)

The article isn't very interesting and is mostly about Lanza but now Dynasty Warriors is a page on Conservapedia so hey that's a thing.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 18, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The best part about the Daily Kos piece (besides the reaction from someone who apparently had never heard of the series, who I quoted) is the reactions from "Kossacks" who do know the series:

quote:

DYNASTY WARRIORS?!?! (1+ / 0-)
I'm sorry, was he leading an army of elite Chinese warriors with a battle plan by Zhuge Liang?

quote:

You would think... (0+ / 0-)
...That if the guy we're going on a Dynasty Warriors-fueled rampage, he'd be screaming about the "Way of Peace" every few sentences.
Or "virtue", or "ambition", or "my paradise"...

quote:

Dynasty Warriors taught me more about (1+ / 0-)
ancient China than my history classes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SirPhoebos posted:

I always wonder why it has to be video games. I mean has anyone looked at the TV shows he watched? "The killer listed liking Lost for the first six seasons. Clearly his utter dissatisfaction with the seventh season led to his murder spree. We should ban any and all TV shows with any element of mystery."

It travels through media forms. It's been rock music, D&D, television in general, comic books, and video games.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Got a 3DS for Christmas so I just picked up Samurai Warriors Chronicles. Any advice going into it?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Belzac posted:

Got a 3DS for Christmas so I just picked up Samurai Warriors Chronicles. Any advice going into it?

Not much, really. I mean, you're a Warrior vet and if you've played Samurai Warriors 2/3 you should be familiar with it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Belzac posted:

Remember to switch characters often when you get multiple objectives popping up. Also, give your character all the good stuff you find and just auto equip everyone else and deequip after every battle, since the only constant ally in the early going is Ujiyasu.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sima Zhao and Sima Shi get re-designs and there's a new Jin officer: Jia Chon, who uses the "buton blade". Not sure if I like the Sima bros' new outfits.

edit:

Sima Yi looks regal as gently caress! The girl is Zhang Chunhua, who was Yi's first wife. Her weapon is string apparently? I think she's like Kasuga from Sengoku BASARA or something.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 19, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

Sima Zhao and Sima Shi get re-designs and there's a new Jin officer: Jia Chon, who uses the "buton blade". Not sure if I like the Sima bros' new outfits.

edit:

Sima Yi looks regal as gently caress! The girl is Zhang Chunhua, who was Yi's first wife. Her weapon is string apparently? I think she's like Kasuga from Sengoku BASARA or something.

I was just about to post that you missed the other reveal. I think her weapon is the weapon Sima Yi had in DW6. Weird string claws. Yi still kinda used it for his two musous in DW7.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Hmm, If that's Jia Chong does that make him the first Jin character to have actually been around during the Jin dynasty proper (besides Liu Shan, technically)? He was an adviser to the Sima bro's and Sima Yan according to Wikipedia.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I hope this means we get Sima Yan, or even if we don't at least have a level where the overthrow of Wei is playable. It was way too much of a cocktease when right after 7 ended it went "Oh yeah, Zhao's son started Jin right after all that junk you just did ended. But eh who needs to really see that?"

EDIT: And looks like they are still decloning the swords, with Zhao's being one that shoots shockwaves you can direct with different attacks. So looks like the only sword user without a new gimmick is Sun Quan. Of course. :smith:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 19, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

I hope this means we get Sima Yan, or even if we don't at least have a level where the overthrow of Wei is playable. It was way too much of a cocktease when right after 7 ended it went "Oh yeah, Zhao's son started Jin right after all that junk you just did ended. But eh who needs to really see that?"
I blame it following the novel in that the fall of Chengdu and the failure of Jiang Wei and Zhong Hui's rebellion essentially wraps up the plot as far as the novel is concerned and thus everything else is an afterthought.

The GIG posted:

EDIT: And looks like they are still decloning the swords, with Zhao's being one that shoots shockwaves you can direct with different attacks. So looks like the only sword user without a new gimmick is Sun Quan. Of course. :smith:
Even now KOEI keeps him down :argh:

EDIT: They're not done hitting this angle :cripes:

quote:

BRIAN KILMEADE, GUEST CO-HOST: I don't know. I'm not as smart as Charles Krauthammer. I don't have a schooling of him. I will say this, I will say that he knew how to smash his computers and his hard drive, he knew how to get body protection, he also played non-stop video games, "Dynasty Warriors," which I understand is an especially brutal game. And these parents go through hell, it breaks up marriages, the number is staggering.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu has the first screenshots of the updated Jin cast, including Wang Yuanji!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

he also played non-stop video games, "Dynasty Warriors," which I understand is an especially brutal game
Well it is. No other game matches the body count of a DW game, not even close.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Policenaut posted:

Sima Yi looks regal as gently caress! The girl is Zhang Chunhua, who was Yi's first wife.
Zhang Chunhua! :swoon:

Now all we need are Later Wu officers, and my wishlist will be complete! (this will not happen)

I blame Lu Xun, if he didn't look so goddamn young, we would have Lu Kang by now :(

Raserys fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 20, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hate how each new game, the characters look like they're wearing Chinese clothes less and less.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

I hate how each new game, the characters look like they're wearing Chinese clothes less and less.
I think they deliberately made the Jin character's clothes all futuristic because they are the future of China, or something.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Himuro posted:

Yeah, the designs get busier and busier with each iteration. But subtlety has never been Koei's strong suit.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I should have asked before buying it, is DW7:XL worth it? I don't think I've ever seen worse acting in a cutscene before. It's absolutely brutal! Every single one is just the most corny love-drama of all time! Also, I thought they had an edit mode for XL. Where the hell did that go? Also, I don't know if this is possible, but if I were to find someone with DW7 would I be able to throw it in my ps3 once, create a data slot and give it back, then have instant life-time access to all of DW7?

Besides all this, I still can't get over the fact that there's never a reason to not play Zhou Tai. His musou is as good as ever except now I can chain it, then while they're floating in air walk around for another pot to continue chaining the musou.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think they deliberately made the Jin character's clothes all futuristic because they are the future of China, or something.

I think this might actually be the case, because I've been looking at the redesigns for the Shu, Wei, and Wu cast and (for the most part) a lot of them look pretty similar to their original designs. Jin, on the other hand, look like they all stepped out of a spaceship of what ancient Chinese people might consider the future.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ambivalent posted:

Yeah, the designs get busier and busier with each iteration.

This is my complaint. I don't think that the costumes have ever looked overwhelmingly "Chinese" but they sure have been a lot simpler. I recently went through and set everyone's costume to my favorite in WO3 and I've found that a lot of the older costumes were kind of better but the heads look like poo poo. I've also been surprised at how DW6 costumes I prefer over DW7 costumes.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kreczor posted:

I should have asked before buying it, is DW7:XL worth it? I don't think I've ever seen worse acting in a cutscene before. It's absolutely brutal! Every single one is just the most corny love-drama of all time!
Back before he went quiet over a year ago before the DW7 release in North America, Noonsa seemed to suggest that it was that bad in the original Japanese too (the dialogue/acting/plot) and not just a bad localization.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

I've seen Hyper being played on a stream and I can attest to the frame rate being a huge problem. The graphics are marginally better but the best feature is that it loads lightning fast. I don't know how the WiiU with it's weird slow processor can load faster than my PS3 with a digital copy.

I dunno? I've sunk a good 60 hours into the Wii U version and while enemy pop in is just as bad/perhaps worse I've only ever had framerate slowdown while using some Musou attacks, same as my mates with the PS3 version.

Not worth buying another copy of if you have the PS3 version, but it's the better version.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I don't suppose there's been a place to buy the PC versions of WO1 or DW4: Hyper digitally since Direct2Drive folded, right? Gamefly took up after them but all they have is DW6.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New Jump Festa trailer for DW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCypisQFzE

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo Dian Wei is bringing it in that trailer.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's nice to see Air Musou attacks have some variety besides what had previously been basically jump charge "AOE centered on where you hit the ground" attacks, but I wonder if this one's going for a thematic/storytelling shift as well, or if the addition to Jin and corresponding plot changes (as well as reinterpreting all that came before them) in DW7 is as big of a change as we're going to see in this series.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNd_4zB2sI

I have no idea what this is. Help.

Edit: Here's the official page for whatever this is.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/social-games/products/orochi100.htm

Looks like an iPhone based collectable card game with the Orochi IP.

Double edit: Looks like the put the pictures of the Jin characters up on the official page. Sima Yi now has a duster for a weapon.

And it's hard to tell but this shot of Sima Zhao shows what appears to be a generic officer holding throwing daggers. I'm guessing we'll be seeing more variety out of the Yan Liangs of ancient China.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 22, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo that Sima Zhao sword. :stare:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sima Yi's weapon looks like one of those frilly glowsticks you bought when you were a kid with the tips that lit up when you turned the knob and you waved them around in class.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Here's another thing from Jump Fiesta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSej0f75Ti8

It's that Slash game we were all speculating about earlier. It's another phone game but instead of being a card game it looks like a port of DW7 for iOS.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Looks like an iPhone based collectable card game with the Orochi IP.

I've never been this happy to see that something is a phone game. I am not prepared for another Warriors Orochi.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Just finished up Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the Western/Toyatomi path and must say, I was quite impressed. Usually the CAW stuff goes over my head but they did a lot to make you feel like you were an actual participant in the story rather than just some guy. I'm a little confused on where to go from here though. Obviously there's a whole other side to the final chapter (Eastern/Tokogawa) but I'm not sure how to unlock it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jibo posted:

I've never been this happy to see that something is a phone game. I am not prepared for another Warriors Orochi.
I don't think they'd make another Warriors Orochi until they make Samurai Warriors 4.

I'm not sure how they'd make another one at all, to be honest, the ending of WO3 literally destroyed that entire setting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't think they'd make another Warriors Orochi until they make Samurai Warriors 4.

I'm not sure how they'd make another one at all, to be honest, the ending of WO3 literally destroyed that entire setting.

They'd just pick the middle ending and just say something like "Orochi's spirit is still out there!" or something. Or just make another crossover setting.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
So I just got DW Gundam 2 and am enjoying the hell out of it, but I need a little advice. Is Gundam 3 different/good enough to justify another purchase, or am I better off just sticking with what I have. FWIW I only payed like twelve bucks for the game in the first place, so upgrading wouldn't be too painful.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Hyedum posted:

So I just got DW Gundam 2 and am enjoying the hell out of it, but I need a little advice. Is Gundam 3 different/good enough to justify another purchase, or am I better off just sticking with what I have. FWIW I only payed like twelve bucks for the game in the first place, so upgrading wouldn't be too painful.

Gundam 3 gets rid of Official Mode but goes full force into Mission Mode. So it depends on what you're liking more in Gundam 2. In most people's opinions 3 is better than 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCtC00qO_o

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 official trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Ugg, I'm getting to the part of Samurai Warriors Chronicles that I dread in every Warriors game since Gundam 2. Reputation Grinding. Why Omega Force? Why do you do this to me?

Probably the greatest feature present in DW7 for this system was that you can't lose friendship. Sadly, this game doesn't have that. :(