Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cellophane S posted:

The engine room in 2009 movie was the Budweiser factory I believe

That's it! It was a brewery it was built on. That's awesome. It looked great. People are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll always love the warp core, but this was a pretty cool take on the engine room and it didn't need to be explained to the audience at all, which fit with what the movie was trying to be.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That's it! It was a brewery it was built on. That's awesome. It looked great. People are stupid.

They should probably just retcon that area to be the water reclamation system, which is right beside engineering, or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

thexerox123 posted:

They should probably just retcon that area to be the water reclamation system, which is right beside engineering, or something.
Agreed, I want a drat warp core.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cumberbatch did an interview with Swedish movie site Moviezine, in which he identifies his character as John Harrison. He also says that there was no need to do research on previous incarnations of him.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

I said come in! posted:

I'll always love the warp core, but this was a pretty cool take on the engine room and it didn't need to be explained to the audience at all, which fit with what the movie was trying to be.
I loved the brewery engine room. It was an interesting dichotomy with sterile apple store aesthetic of the rest of the ship. Everywhere else the ship's moving parts are hidden behind all the shininess, but the engine room is the one place where you need that stuff front and center, and it's presented that way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It feels the most like an "engine room" of all the Star Trek engine places- all the machinery is out there and theoretically directly accessible, whereas in the shows and movies before there's always a comfortable suite of consoles and workstations overlooking the engines/core/etc.

One reason I'm not too worried about the color grading is that Abrams didn't overdo that in ST 2009 or for that matter Super 8- lighting created quite a few blue-yellow scenes but it wasn't universal. I think it's okay so long as it doesn't look like every goddamn shot was hit with the Magic Bullet filter.

And those films were really when the "just filter all of it" trend was at its height- I feel like we've pulled back a little in the last couple of years.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
On the topic of colour design, here's something from the production of TOS:

Bob Justman, producer posted:

We're all in outer space, Jerry [Finnerman, director of photography], and we're in color. NBC claims to be the first full-color network, so let's prove it for them. When you light the sets, throw wild colors in – magenta, red, green, any color you can find – especially behind the actors when they're in a close shot. Be dramatic. In fact, go overboard. Backlight the women and make them more beautiful. Take some chances. Nobody can tell you that's not the way the future will look. How can they? They ain't been there yet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Karpaw posted:

Cumberbatch did an interview with Swedish movie site Moviezine, in which he identifies his character as John Harrison. He also says that there was no need to do research on previous incarnations of him.

Benedict Cumberbatch via Google Translate posted:

I did not do any research on my character based on previous incarnations.

Benedict Cumberbatch in Swedish posted:

Jag behövde inte göra någon research kring min karaktär baserad på tidigare inkarnationer.
I don't know any Swedish, so it's hard for me to tell exactly what he's saying there, but yeah.

Trying to think of different villains that he could be playing is fun, but honestly, I'd be happy if he was playing someone we've never seen before too. Yeah, it's s Star Trek movie, but that doesn't mean it has to be something we've already watched.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
like all artistic/cinematic tools color grading can be used to great effect, or horrifically overused/abused.

Trek09 is hardly the most egregious offender and in my opinion uses it quite ably. Abrams cinematography leaves a little to be desired though(Dutch angles EVERYWHERE!)

apparently the future is tilted 30 degrees

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Polo-Rican posted:

Here's one big, quantifiable way color grading can potentially hurt a film: it drastically diminishes the viewer's sense of setting. Typically, each setting has a distinct color scheme - using Star Wars as an example, Tattoine has intense desert colors, yoda's swamp planet is muddy browns and greens, the planet with the speeder bike chase is bright greens and browns, and the cloud city Bespin is a bright array of pinks and friendly colors. It's really easy to conjure up an image of these settings in your memory, largely because each one has a distinct color tone. Even interiors differ in tone: The interior of the millenium falcon is warmly lit greys that appear gold, whereas the interior of the death star is a cold, monotone cyan (comically, colors reserved for villainous places in old sci fi films are applied to almost all interiors in modern sci fi films)

In the screenshots aatrek posted a few pages back, we see an interior shot that's dark cyan with red highlights, a brig that's bright cyan with red highlights, a shot of the engine room that's cyan with red pipes, a cryogenic chamber that's dark cyan, and most bafflingly, even an exterior city shot is cyan with one building painted red. In what almost appears to be an attempt at self-parody, the one alien planet we see is a field of red plants, with a cyan ocean below.

Again, one of these is a ship's engine room, and the other is the exterior of a city:

The end result being that settings stick out less in the viewer's memory - which is especially bad for sci-fi, where one of the big draws can potentially be fantastical settings (Avatar failed at a lot of things but nailed fantastical settings).

Maybe it's secretly going to have a Mirror's Edge crossover.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I don't know any Swedish, so it's hard for me to tell exactly what he's saying there, but yeah.

Trying to think of different villains that he could be playing is fun, but honestly, I'd be happy if he was playing someone we've never seen before too. Yeah, it's s Star Trek movie, but that doesn't mean it has to be something we've already watched.
"behövde" means, basically, "needed", which is an important distinction. Similar to "besoin" in French. In other words it's probably a character with no backlog of information.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Dan Didio posted:

it did look great! It looked like an engine room.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ufarn posted:

"behövde" means, basically, "needed", which is an important distinction. Similar to "besoin" in French. In other words it's probably a character with no backlog of information.

That's exactly what I figured. Thanks for clearing it up thogh!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I thought we knew for sure that it was an existing Trek character, though? Which made it sound like it wasn't just a name with nothing else canon about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Karpaw posted:

This is a character previously in Star Trek? I couldn't find anything about who he is playing as on memory-alpha.org.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is a character previously in Star Trek? I couldn't find anything about who he is playing as on memory-alpha.org.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but John Harrison was just a name given that people assumed to be a pseudonym for some other known character, but this interview points to the idea that John Harrison is in fact John Harrison -- there wouldn't be any previous information because there was no previous John Harrison. This is a character only prominent in the new JJTrek timeline.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are the major differences between the 2 trek universes now?
- Kirk is a Captain way earlier
- Vulcan is destroyed

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Kelvin being so outmatched by the Narada probably jump started Starfleet's R&D budget.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

euphronius posted:

- Vulcan is destroyed
If the comics are canon:

-Kirk's brother is still alive
-Spock is borderline suicidal
-Tribbles overran Starfleet
-Romulans have access to red matter
-Vulcans tried to wipe out the Romulans
-Spock's father tried to blow up Romulus
-Mirror universe Kirk steals the Narrada because the Klingons had no clue how to use it

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 18, 2012

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

octoroon posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but John Harrison was just a name given that people assumed to be a pseudonym for some other known character, but this interview points to the idea that John Harrison is in fact John Harrison -- there wouldn't be any previous information because there was no previous John Harrison. This is a character only prominent in the new JJTrek timeline.

Yeah but the way some parts are phrased suggests there's more to him than that. A sentence stating the character's name uses the words "tills vidare" which mean "for the time being". It's unclear whether Cumberbatch himself alluded to this or if it's speculation on the interviewer's part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

If the comics are canon:

-Kirk's brother is still alive
-Spock is borderline suicidal
-Tribbles overran Starfleet
-Romulans have access to red matter
-Vulcans tried to wipe out the Romulans
-Spock's father tried to blow up Romulus
-Mirror universe Kirk steals the Narrada because the Klingons had no clue how to use it

So enough has happened differently where basically anything could happen going forward.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Karpaw posted:

Yeah but the way some parts are phrased suggests there's more to him than that. A sentence stating the character's name uses the words "tills vidare" which mean "for the time being". It's unclear whether Cumberbatch himself alluded to this or if it's speculation on the interviewer's part.
I really hope it's not something lovely, weak "family themed" link.

Like he's really the great-grandson of Khan.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

euphronius posted:

So enough has happened differently where basically anything could happen going forward.
Yeah effectively in the comics there hasn't been a single retelling of a story that didn't have a significant change to it. Some of it actually was really clever like the Tribble retelling invoking TOS continuity that was created in Trials and Tribulations. In other cases the comics focused on characters that never actually existed outside of this continuity. In fact the best characterization I've seen of Kirk is him apologizing to the guy he punched in the first movie and admitting that him being captain is really unorthodox.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 18, 2012

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

euphronius posted:

- Vulcan is destroyed
They're not beholden to 60 years of continuity regardless of "everything being the same except for <a list of differences>". These are new Star Trek stories in a new Star Trek universe with new Star Trek characters. Any similarities to old Trek are there by design.

The whole "they traveled from one future and created a new past!" thing was to get Star Trek nerds on board with the changes. There's no reason for them to actually stick with decisions made 60 years ago. Did Kirk's cousin originally save the Jimjam planet from Klingons? It doesn't matter now!

Sherlock Holmes gets reinvented all the time and the only things the versions have in common are a few characters. I've seen like five versions of the character in the past decade and they're all really varied interpretations. Playing continuity cop with franchise characters is boring and pointless and just leaves you annoyed when the writers inevitably get it wrong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm still betting on John Harrison being an Augment or something. Maybe not Khan, but another of that ilk. I mean, the trailer shows him beating the gently caress out of Klingons, on Qo'noS, so I got to believe there's something special about him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but they don't even have to worry about continuity, even if they started out worrying about it, because everything is so different now. I think it is neat because it creates a new universe where we don't know what is going to happen and at the same time there is a whole layer of "how this is different from TOS" to sperg about (positive sperging.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just because the character has a different name doesn't mean that they can't use the same background for Mitchell.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just because the character has a different name doesn't mean that they can't use the same background for Mitchell.

Yeah, except for how that interview seems to imply that no background research for the character from the old-Trek was needed. It could just be awkward phrasing or intentional misleading, but that sounds to be heavily-implying that it is a new character.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

I'm still betting on John Harrison being an Augment or something. Maybe not Khan, but another of that ilk. I mean, the trailer shows him beating the gently caress out of Klingons, on Qo'noS, so I got to believe there's something special about him.

This is a good bet and it answers how he's able to help that guy's sick daughter - through illegal genetic engineering.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cellophane S posted:

it did look great! It looked like an engine room.

It looked like an engine room on a 19th century steamer, it was awful. Well actually it just looked like a bunch of big water pipes, apparently the Enterprise needs some serious plumbing

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Farecoal posted:

It looked like an engine room on a 19th century steamer, it was awful. Well actually it just looked like a bunch of big water pipes, apparently the Enterprise needs some serious plumbing

I'm sorry but you are wrong, it was clearly very rad

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cellophane S posted:

I'm sorry but you are wrong, it was clearly very rad

This was the concept art for engineering in JJTrek if they had had a budget:

Ridiculously better

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Farecoal posted:

Have you ever been on a submarine? A spaceship is a submarine that goes into space. The mundane areas of the ship are going to be cramped layouts full of stuff needed to make the ship run.

While "it's more realistic" isn't a stellar defense, I feel like it adds something to the feel of the movie. You feel more grounded because the Enterprise feels like an actual ship and not just a bunch of perfectly designed sets.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Farecoal posted:

This was the concept art for engineering in JJTrek if they had had a budget:

Ridiculously better

It was a $150 million dollar budget. If he had wanted that they could have built it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

We were denied a riveting sequence of Scotty being sucked in a straight line down a hallway.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

casa de mi padre posted:

Have you ever been on a submarine? A spaceship is a submarine that goes into space. The mundane areas of the ship are going to be cramped layouts full of stuff needed to make the ship run.

While "it's more realistic" isn't a stellar defense, I feel like it adds something to the feel of the movie. You feel more grounded because the Enterprise feels like an actual ship and not just a bunch of perfectly designed sets.

This is not "cramped" at all and doesn't look like the layout of a ship engineer room. You would think it's just a room in some building.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

LinkesAuge posted:

This is not "cramped" at all and doesn't look like the layout of a ship engineer room. You would think it's just a room in some building.
Fixed it for you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The new continuity rules because when the Hollywood-mandated reboot comes down the pike in 10 years they can just fast-forward to Picard and Worf in the JJTrek timeline. :allears: Turns out the existence of Vulcan was what caused Picard to be bald!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

epitasis posted:

The new continuity rules because when the Hollywood-mandated reboot comes down the pike in 10 years they can just fast-forward to Picard and Worf in the JJTrek timeline. :allears: Turns out the existence of Vulcan was what caused Picard to be bald!

Back when JJTrek was first announced, I was pretty hostile towards the idea of new actors playing Spock and Kirk. But now i've embraced it and love it quite a bit. I can see a reboot of TNG happening with a new actor playing a young Picard. We've already seen episodes of TNG with a young version of Picard anyways.

• Locked thread