Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I havn't seen the DVD yet but I'm guessing they're classing "worst car" on more than just what the car can do. Ie, The Fiat 500 is a tiny car with a tiny engine and not much crumple zone and can hardly fit your shopping but it's not a "bad car" It does what it's designed to do, and does it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Ak Gara posted:

I havn't seen the DVD yet but I'm guessing they're classing "worst car" on more than just whathe car can do. Ie, The Fiat 500 is a tiny car with a tiny engine and not much crumple zone and can hardly fit your shopping but it's not a "bad car" It does what it's designed to do, and does it very well.

Exactly. It is easy to call a cheap lovely car lovely. the show was about car companies making expensive cars who should know better, lexus being a perfect example

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

My sister had a 97 SC400 for a few years, and it wasn't terrible. I think it was helped that it wasn't a convertible, so you could actually fit 4 people in the car. She bought it used though, so it probably wasn't as bad as buying it new. It was a fun car to drive. Though to be fair, my options at the time were that, a Lexus ES300, and a Crown Victoria. I would nominate Crown Victoria for one of the best cars of all time.

Completely different car than the SC430

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I was waiting for the Beetle to at least make an appearance.
I genuinely thought that when the "winning" car crested the hill as the big reveal at the end it would be a Beetle. Even by their own standards it should have been in the running, since VW certainly knew better than to make such a crappy car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dyscrasia posted:

Exactly. It is easy to call a cheap lovely car lovely. the show was about car companies making expensive cars who should know better, lexus being a perfect example

Except when Datsun produces the 120Y, which is spectaclarly bad even by Datsun standards - even by Lightburn Zeta standards - the Lexus looks like a work of automotive art.

Any worst car ever DVD that doesnt have either the 120Y or the Zeta really isnt trying. Those truly are, even for the standards they are held to, so utterly godawful that they defy belief any rational human could possibly have allowed them to be produced.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
What a lot of you keep missing is that they explained at the beginning that cheap was good, cheap makes up for a LOT of crappiness. Beetles are not only cheap but reliable, therefore while they may be terrible to drive they're by no means even a contender for "worst". Random trash from Eastern Europe or the small Asian brands was excluded by the "should have known better" restriction.

It was basically what's the worst car which doesn't have an excuse for being bad. If it's dirt cheap or from a company that's never made a good car, it can be pretty bad and still get away with it.

I'm OK with the SC430 being chosen, since it's as bad of a car as the Sebring Convertible (and pretty much only sold to the same market) but cost a lot more and was from a company that at the time produced a number of good cars and should have been able to do better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

i understand why the dislike the Peugeot 308. It's ungainly to look at and dull to drive. But then they flash various other recent Peugeots, calling them all crap, which most of them are.

But the last car shown is the 508, which has been widely hailed as a resurrection of the old Peugeot virtues of making competent-handling family cars for not a lot of money, that you could comfortably drive across the world. Probably some intern who didn't know what the hell he was doing, lumping it in with the admittedly dreadful cars they've served up for years. For all their failings, there is an unbroken line of well-handling sedans and wagons with the 504, 505, 405, 605, 406, 607, 407 and 508 all being solid.

And then they went and smashed up a Panda that looked exactly like my old car, the wankers <:mad:>

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 26, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cat Terrist posted:

Except when Datsun produces the 120Y, which is spectaclarly bad even by Datsun standards - even by Lightburn Zeta standards - the Lexus looks like a work of automotive art.

Any worst car ever DVD that doesnt have either the 120Y or the Zeta really isnt trying. Those truly are, even for the standards they are held to, so utterly godawful that they defy belief any rational human could possibly have allowed them to be produced.

But you don't like yugos so your ideas about what makes a good car are suspect. :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But you don't like yugos so your ideas about what makes a good car are suspect. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure my opinion on Yugos arent harsh enough actually :D

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just watched the apocalypse special, and I know this is shallow, but has Richard put on some serious weight? I'm accustomed to a tiny jockey of a man who, based on cursory googling, works out quite a bit. He was looking a lot fluffier this time around.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Melliemel posted:

I just watched the apocalypse special, and I know this is shallow, but has Richard put on some serious weight? I'm accustomed to a tiny jockey of a man who, based on cursory googling, works out quite a bit. He was looking a lot fluffier this time around.

Maybe he was just getting in shape for their American road trip?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Melliemel posted:

After you get your brain knocked around a few dozen times, when the 'Rod Stewart' effect wears off, you go straight into sitcom zone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In S18 Hammond seemed to be going out of his way to show off how fit he was—lots of tight shirts, bare arms, funky hipster haircuts, etc.

To me it screamed :byodood: I SPENT THE PAST THREE MONTHS AT THE GYM YOU GUYS

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I was waiting for the Beetle to at least make an appearance.

I'm sorry, when I think 'worst car in the world' I don't think of Ferraris, so no matter how much they try, I can't be convinced it's even remotely in contention. The SC430 at least still has 300 horsepower, despite being terrible in every other way.

I think this car really brings it home because the previous model, the Soarer, was actually a pretty drat good car. My friend had one, comfy, tons of power, and a nice cruiser.

The 430... goddamn.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

In S18 Hammond seemed to be going out of his way to show off how fit he was—lots of tight shirts, bare arms, funky hipster haircuts, etc.

It's like he became Cal, from "Undergrads".

"Hey guy! Should I wear my tight shirt, or my tight tight shirt?"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think all rolls-royces made after the phantoms introduction remind me somehow of the toyota SC430.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

Which was the season where he cycled across London? That was probably his fittest and holy poo poo that would be hard. Go go go STOP BUS gently caress EVADE go go go gently caress RED LIGHT HAVE TO OBEY LIGHTS go go go

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CannonFodder posted:

Which was the season where he cycled across London? That was probably his fittest and holy poo poo that would be hard. Go go go STOP BUS gently caress EVADE go go go gently caress RED LIGHT HAVE TO OBEY LIGHTS go go go

I thought he was at his fittest during the Arctic dog race. That would be really loving hard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

I thought he was at his fittest during the Arctic dog race. That would be really loving hard.

That was the first thing they did after he recovered from the jet crash. He describes himself as being a mess during that time.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Spiffness posted:

That was the first thing they did after he recovered from the jet crash. He describes himself as being a mess during that time.

It's even more impressive then. That would be incredibly difficult in the best of health. I was tired WATCHING him.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
For anyone that may not have noticed: The India special is now on Netflix streaming.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Clarkson and May will be on Graham Norton next week. That's 12/8/12 on BBCA for us Yanks.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Cool.

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson · 6 hours ago ·
Top Gear will be back in January

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyClarksonFanClub/posts/535347319828763

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is old news.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

This is old news.

I thought before they were saying Feburary.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CornHolio posted:

I thought before they were saying Feburary.

I think the "christmas special" is in January and then the new series is in February.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

COMING SOON

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Transform and roll out!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dad's exo-suit! He told me all about it!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"Build mobility scooters that can handle the everyday life of a TV presenter"?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"We broke another Stig, but due to austerity budgets we can't afford a new one. Here's a shed, get to it."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"How do you shut a fat braggart up for fifteen seconds? More after the break!"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Looks more like "Can you convert a quadbike into a car" to me. It's going to be brill. I hope they go through a car wash...

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

He looked more happy when he was driving the Peel. Although, he was driving it through an office complex at the time.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

djdanno13 posted:

He looked more happy when he was driving the Peel. Although, he was driving it through an office complex at the time.

Well that was before he was more machine than man. Clarksonmobile has forgotten what joy is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looking forward to the Christmas special, was it revealed what it was going to be about?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

Looking forward to the Christmas special, was it revealed what it was going to be about?

I don't know, but I do know it won't air until february :(

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know, but I do know it won't air until february :(

See, I don't understand this. It's one of the most popular shows in the UK, and they can't find a slot for it? I know there are only so many hours in the day, days in the week, but there has to be something they can bump for a while? Does it have to be in the slot that the X-factor fills? Or is it Britain has Talent? Sounds like a bit of planning incompetence, honestly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the early days I'm pretty sure that the show would get co-opted by loving darts and snooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the early days I'm pretty sure that the show would get co-opted by loving darts and snooker.

Now that I think about it, yeah you are right.