Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Midjack posted:

This is true for basically all shiny extra finish kits.

I bought one of those shiny plated kits a decade ago, of the first mg rx-78.

Never made a mistake like that again. Anyway since I paint all my kits I would avoid them even if they did the sprues righ I think I was the only person who was happy to find out that the re-release of the mg hyaku shiki they made years ago wasn't plated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hey, isn't that new DX Mazinger Z coming out soon? I wonder how big the box for it will b-

:stare:

That certainly explains the $300 pricetag. It's so beautiful.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So this means something, right? :ohdear:

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wing Zero trailer for Full Boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xXKmhnZ8lA

Not sure how different he will be from the EW version, but it looks like he has bird mode and an some kind of activatable Zero System that lasts for a short time.

PLEASE tell me this means something!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

So this means something, right? :ohdear:

PLEASE tell me this means something!

It means they're pushing Wing Zero to the arcade games already out there.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I think it just means they want to have a representative suit from everything Gundam thing ever, heh.

Also, I accidentally ordered the same kit twice. I now have two SD ChoRyuJins coming in the mail. :cripes:

Would anyone be interested in buying it, or maybe trading an unfinished kit for it?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It has a shield. Though I think any suit in the game could block regardless, but its been a long time since I played it.
At least it doesn't look as ridiculous.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hey, isn't that new DX Mazinger Z coming out soon? I wonder how big the box for it will b-

:stare:
That poo poo's rad. Being a weirdo nerd is so expensive..

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Scratch built 1/100 Mercurius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHX7OGts2BA

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Vegeta8259: gently caress you Bandai, I got skills.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Hello Gunpla thread! I've never posted here but you've caught my eye several times, and after checking out some of the links and info in the OP, I think this is something that I'd like to try. My childhood favorite toy was legos, and this seems like the logical extension of that. So, as someone with zero modeling experience of any kind, what would be a good kit to start with? I figure one of the 1/144 HG kits is my best bet, but I'm looking for specific suggestions. I'd prefer a 'main character' mech rather than a grunt suit, but I'm really just interested in something that's a good intro to gunpla.

Also, what's the rationale for painting kits? Is it to remove the glossy plastic look, or cover something up, or something else entirely? Also on the looks front, I've seen several mentions of filling in detail lines. Is this the sort of thing used for that?

Finally, is it kosher to post Baby's First Gumpla Adventures via pictures and such in the thread? I think getting in-progress advice could be useful.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Pretty much anything labelled HGUC will be good to start with. There's also a Gunpla Starter Set that has the HGUC Gundam and Zaku II.

I don't paint my kits aside from panel lines and touch-ups, but I believe the main rationale is to have more accurate color schemes (or completely customized color schemes, if you're into that). Pretty much everything Bandai makes comes in pretty accurate colors, but some people like to go that extra mile to make it look nicer. (Removing the plastic/toy look is also a factor.)

Gundam Markers are going to be helpful, but (in my experience) the official Gundam Markers generally don't have fine enough tips to be useful for panel lining without making a mess, although they're still useful for touching up sprue marks or painting places that would ordinarily use a sticker. I like Sakura Micron pens, but other people in the thread might have other suggestions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Pretty much anything labelled HGUC will be good to start with. There's also a Gunpla Starter Set that has the HGUC Gundam and Zaku II.

I don't paint my kits aside from panel lines and touch-ups, but I believe the main rationale is to have more accurate color schemes (or completely customized color schemes, if you're into that). Pretty much everything Bandai makes comes in pretty accurate colors, but some people like to go that extra mile to make it look nicer. (Removing the plastic/toy look is also a factor.)

Gundam Markers are going to be helpful, but (in my experience) the official Gundam Markers generally don't have fine enough tips to be useful for panel lining without making a mess, although they're still useful for touching up sprue marks or painting places that would ordinarily use a sticker. I like Sakura Micron pens, but other people in the thread might have other suggestions.

I agree with this.

Definitely hit up the resources in the OP under How To and Tutorials. I personally favor Gamera Baenre (http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1202) but they all have something useful to say.

Painting is often used to either make the colors more accurate. HGs especially but kits of all grades often mold pieces a single color rather than making multiple pieces in the correct color (e.g. a gun might be molded into a blue body piece rather than being a separate gray piece that you put on the blue piece). It is also used to cover surface imperfections (removing nubs with sandpaper or a blade) or seam line repairs (using plastic cement or putty). Finally, a lot of people prefer flatter colors to remove the "shiny toy" look; I personally embrace the cartoon robot aesthetic and like them bright and shiny when I'm done but I'm in the minority.

Starting out, I'd go with the suggestion to get a recently-released HG kit. Put it together and panel line it to see if this is something you enjoy before you buy in with paint, putty and more advanced stuff.

If you can get a good deal on a MG kit (like less than $30), those often look better without painting since they have more parts and thus more things molded in the correct color, but they are usually much more expensive and always more complex. If you're used to doing 1000+ piece Lego juggernauts then you'll probably be OK with the level of complexity in an MG.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Check out BB gundam kits or Kotobukiya's SD kits. They are pretty cheap, fun to put together, and look good too :)

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

If I had another chance to be a rookie again today, I'd probably get the RG MK-II myself. Not too expensive and since its basically a smaller MG plenty of detail and fun to go around without the need to worry about painting for color accuracy.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Top Hat Cat posted:

If I had another chance to be a rookie again today, I'd probably get the RG MK-II myself. Not too expensive and since its basically a smaller MG plenty of detail and fun to go around without the need to worry about painting for color accuracy.

I couldn't recommend a Real Grade to a newcomer just due to the fact that the pieces are microscopic. I'd rather them work on a Master Grade first before a Real Grade.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Do you have a specific main character Gundam you are interested in? The Master Grade TV Wing Gundam for example is a drat good kit and not a complicated build.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

I couldn't recommend a Real Grade to a newcomer just due to the fact that the pieces are microscopic. I'd rather them work on a Master Grade first before a Real Grade.

Can't deny the fact the parts are pretty small, I just feel that some of the HGs are way too simple and some of the MGs have price tags that ward off newcomers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the 00 HG's would do the trick, wouldn't they? The Exia is a pretty decent (and simple) design.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the 00 HG's would do the trick, wouldn't they? The Exia is a pretty decent (and simple) design.

I still hold the opinion that 00 Raiser is the best HG made yet.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Mecha Gojira posted:

Also, added Faltion's projects to the OP, because they're REALLY cool.

Hey, thanks :unsmith:

Zaku Mariner new 1 by faltion, on Flickr

Zaku Mariner new 2 by faltion, on Flickr

Meant to get these better pictures of the mariner taken earlier, but I was working on the aforementioned z'gok:

Z'gok 1 by faltion, on Flickr

Z'gok 2 by faltion, on Flickr

Z'gok 3 by faltion, on Flickr

I had a Char's Z'gok sitting around, I wanted to just pain it Char colors and put a little command horn on it because I adore Kidou Senshi Gundam-San. Instead I went with the Unicorn colors. I did a little more weathering on the kit than I usually, do (I prefer them looking factory new), but most of it is subtle and hard to see in pictures. I figured an 18 year old mobile suit wasn't going to look so shiny regardless of how much work the Zeon remnants did to maintain them. Only other custom work was the little nubbin in the crotch and the clear mono-eye.

Pictures still seem to be too dark on my screen, I need to actually get some studio lighting considering all the macro I like to shoot.

Getting a kit done in 2 weeks instead of 6 months is a lot more enjoyable.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

AGE-3 is a pretty cool kit

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 21, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Faltion posted:

Pictures still seem to be too dark on my screen, I need to actually get some studio lighting considering all the macro I like to shoot.

You just need a weak front fill light, considering the scale you're working on a $2 clamp light from lowe's positioned just below the camera might be more than enough. :eng101:

On topic, I have a MG Turn A on the way, finally, it's a kit I've wanted to pick up for quite some time but things never lined up properly. Now I just need a new grey panel lining marker.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 21, 2012

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2012/12/hguc-1144-yams-132-rozen-zulu-manual.html

So how 'bout that Rozen Zulu mold.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy crap, never thought I'd see a rozen zulu as a bandai kit. Awesome looking HG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy crap, never thought I'd see a rozen zulu as a bandai kit. Awesome looking HG.

I think everything we see in Unicorn will get an HG at this rate.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

For the first time ever I may not disassemble a kit before painting it. Because jesus CHRIST is the transformable vf-25 a pain in the rear end to transform, and it would be a paint scratching nightmare.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, the Messiah is suffering from being a CGI Valkyrie, so it has the same problem Michael Bay's Transformers do with being insanely complex. Can't wait to see what you do with it though.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Midjack posted:

I think everything we see in Unicorn will get an HG at this rate.

Except the Capule, of course.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, the Messiah is suffering from being a CGI Valkyrie, so it has the same problem Michael Bay's Transformers do with being insanely complex. Can't wait to see what you do with it though.

yeah I usually hate transforming kits due to paint scratches but I love the designs of the frontier valkyries, so I'm going to give it a shot.

It's also cool to have it at a scale which allows me to use another, non gundam related modelling stuff with it. I'm planing on making a hanger scene with maintenance crews fixing it up. I can also use some weathering techniques for aircraft that I've picked up over the years.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Silentman0 posted:

Except the Capule, of course.

With this magnificent beast slated for a kit in the near future I wouldn't put anything past 'em.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Bimmi posted:

With this magnificent beast slated for a kit in the near future I wouldn't put anything past 'em.

It looks like Char is going to PEIRCE THE HEAVENS WITH HIS DRILL!

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Does HLJ charge when they ship or when the order is placed?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cromlech posted:

Does HLJ charge when they ship or when the order is placed?

Pretty sure it is when the order is placed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure it is when the order is placed.

You can set up a Paypal billing agreement and they won't charge till it ships.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Midjack posted:

You can set up a Paypal billing agreement and they won't charge till it ships.

They don't charge until the item arrives at their warehouse no matter how you pay.

The only wrinkle is that if you have it set up to store items in your private warehouse for shipping later, they'll charge for the item when it arrives, then charge you shipping later when you actually ship your item(s).

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Well, I'm now the proud owner of several nice HG kits and an MG God Gundam that was nearly the same price. Who has built that one? Anything I should know? The HGs are the Zeta, Aile Strike, Exia, and the starter kit that DoubleDonut mentioned.

I started with the RX-78, and after about 6 hours, it's all finished! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though some of the detail lines are kinda messy. I think the .25 mm pen is still a bit too big. I dunno if there are any smaller ones than that though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Oblique Angle posted:

Well, I'm now the proud owner of several nice HG kits and an MG God Gundam that was nearly the same price. Who has built that one? Anything I should know?

Pay close attention when assembling the knees, particularly to the parts numbers. Do it wrong and it will look right, but it sure as hell won't work right.

Nice kit overall, but beware mixing extreme poses and heights; those backpack fins break very easily, and repair very poorly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

I think the .25 mm pen is still a bit too big. I dunno if there are any smaller ones than that though.

.2mm is readily available; I use that size a lot.

Good start, keep building and learning!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Oblique Angle posted:

Well, I'm now the proud owner of several nice HG kits and an MG God Gundam that was nearly the same price. Who has built that one? Anything I should know?

I don't remember if God has screws, but if it does, double make sure that your putting the right screws in the right spot. The manual has a 1:1 picture of the screw that needs to go in. Believe me, you don't want to have to take a wrong screw out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I decided to get into Gunpla while I was overseas, and bought two kits to start off: an old HG RX-78 to cut my teeth on and the RG Zeta Gundam because I always liked that machine. The former went very smoothly, and though I ended up breaking the hyper launcher I finished in about two hours. The latter took three days of effort to assemble, and when I was finally done and tried to transform it (a ridiculously arcane process, incidentally), the left leg fell off. I put it back on immediately, but now it's loose. :shepicide:

I think I'm going to stick with High Grades. Much less frustrating, and even if they can't do many poses at least the assembly is fun. Cheaper too.

• Locked thread