Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Wouldn't the fact that high GDP countries also tend to be colder countries mess that calculation up quite a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Wouldn't the fact that high GDP countries also tend to be colder countries mess that calculation up quite a bit?

The idea is to control for that variable by adjusting the life expectancies accordingly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

baquerd posted:

Well the basic idea would be to create a GDP adjustment factor that a country's life expectancy can be normalized by to create a GDP neutral life expectancy. You would then graph these normalized values against climate.

Do you have a budget? I know a statistician (not me) who would do this for cheap.

There is also this "Ask a Statistician" thread in A/T and he might do it for you (he says in the OP about doing simple stat problems if asked. He might consider it simple enough, or know a study that has already done this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Okay, I made a very simple model with lifespan regressed on log(GDP/million) and mean temperature:

That's not great, but whatever. What that means is, very roughly, that after taking GDP per citizen into account, each 5°C decrease in mean yearly temperature is associated with about 6 months extra lifespan. 5°C is about the difference between USA and Sweden or Spain and USA.

This is all just for fun. This model is not a good one, and not very precise.

Data:
temp: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timm/cty/obs/TYN_CY_1_1.html
population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population
GDP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
life expectancy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Here: http://pastebin.com/5MwR7pTB
Some countries were left out because I couldn't be bothered tracking down some missing data.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 19, 2012

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

dokmo posted:

What that means is, very roughly, that after taking GDP per citizen into account, each 5°C decrease in mean yearly temperature is associated with about 6 months extra lifespan.

Finally, the evidence I need to convince my wife that we should move to the south pole.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wanted to look up the flash point of sperm oil and saw this page from Google Books:

http://books.google.be/books?id=3Tb...m%20oil&f=false

This page gives three figures for the flash point of sperm oil. What do these figures mean? I'm guessing that "(oc)" and "(cc)" mean open cup and closed cup, which are methods for measuring flash points. But what do "No. 1" and "No. 2" mean?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Sir Patrick Moore hosted an astronomy programme called The Sky At Night. One episode, I'm told, was devoted to NASA's use of whale oil in its probes and rocket, and invited marine biologists to share their knowledge. Which episode was this? What was the title? Date?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I wanted to look up the flash point of sperm oil and saw this page from Google Books:

http://books.google.be/books?id=3Tb...m%20oil&f=false

This page gives three figures for the flash point of sperm oil. What do these figures mean? I'm guessing that "(oc)" and "(cc)" mean open cup and closed cup, which are methods for measuring flash points. But what do "No. 1" and "No. 2" mean?

The actual composition of sperm oil varied depending on the collection process (IIRC, the main determining factor is the temperature at which you separate the solids and liquids). Presumably #1 and #2 were different "grades" of sperm oil with different compositions, which would fit with the note that "these differ in purity and flash point".

Clitoris Circus
Aug 22, 2006
It is a magical circus
Is there interest in an Ask thread about working at LinkedIn? I'm a software engineer there, and I'd happy to answer questions and share my experience :) (granted, if the questions don't break my NDA).

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Do scantrons really cost 75 cents a piece? I heard that forever in public school but I don't know if there is any truth to that. Is the paper sold upped prices or that it cost money to scan each time?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Clitorus Circus posted:

Is there interest in an Ask thread about working at LinkedIn? I'm a software engineer there, and I'd happy to answer questions and share my experience :) (granted, if the questions don't break my NDA).

Making threads is almost always cool, if no one wants to ask you anything it will drop off, but I bet it will get some questions!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenCard78 posted:

Do scantrons really cost 75 cents a piece? I heard that forever in public school but I don't know if there is any truth to that. Is the paper sold upped prices or that it cost money to scan each time?

Let's say you want a 2 sided Scantron sheet, with 100 multiple choice questions total. And for each question, there are 5 bubble things to fill in.

That will cost you $39.50 per box of 500 answer sheets. So about 8 cents a piece.

People at your school told you it cost more so that you'd be careful and not ruin a piece, since that's a hassle. Schools usually own a comaptible scanner, so they have no need to pay per scan.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My ISP just told me I'm at 700 GB usage for the month, and their limit is 250 GB for the month. This was a warning before they start charging.

My router - the only thing plugged in to our cable other than the phone - says my usage this month is 225 GB, and last month was 360 GB. Even including upload (and would they? They didn't mention that) it doesn't come close to 700 GB.

When I asked them in a live chat, they said my usage as viewed from their end was 90 GB. Just 90.

So two questions:
1) How the gently caress can there be so wildly different numbers?
2) Is there an easy way to see all the ISP options in my area, with speed and limit info?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
What is the John Woo movie that has an insanely long one take action sequence? Was it Hard Boiled? The Killer?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Install Gentoo posted:

Let's say you want a 2 sided Scantron sheet, with 100 multiple choice questions total. And for each question, there are 5 bubble things to fill in.

That will cost you $39.50 per box of 500 answer sheets. So about 8 cents a piece.

People at your school told you it cost more so that you'd be careful and not ruin a piece, since that's a hassle. Schools usually own a comaptible scanner, so they have no need to pay per scan.

Pretty much what I thought. Thank you.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Install Gentoo posted:

Check around and ask. My community college provides them for all students. When I was in undergrad, the off campus books store gave you "one free"(aka just take a stack for your whole class because the college students working the register don't care.

also any attempt to "jam the scanner" by writing in the no-no spaces or filling in every bubble just spits out that one test and/or grades it as incorrect.

Mister Batman
Oct 27, 2012
Small/stupid question:

I will be repainting a room next week (it's currently painted hot pink and I have to live there until summer for college). However, I don't want paint as the surface and would rather do joint compound so that it feels like a room in a new house. Googling the question suggests that people do it, but not a lot, and also that it's actually possible, though sanding the wall down a bit and possibly sealing it is recommended.

Is this generally a good idea?

e: I'm stupid, didn't realize there was a DIY thread for this sort of stuff...

Mister Batman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 20, 2012

Clitoris Circus
Aug 22, 2006
It is a magical circus

kensei posted:

Making threads is almost always cool, if no one wants to ask you anything it will drop off, but I bet it will get some questions!

Meh gently caress it, why not then!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Batman posted:

Small/stupid question:

I will be repainting a room next week (it's currently painted hot pink and I have to live there until summer for college). However, I don't want paint as the surface and would rather do joint compound so that it feels like a room in a new house. Googling the question suggests that people do it, but not a lot, and also that it's actually possible, though sanding the wall down a bit and possibly sealing it is recommended.

Is this generally a good idea?

Wait...you want to put joint compound over the entire wall? No, that's a terrible idea! You would never get it all perfectly smooth.

Ever.

What's so wrong with just painting over paint? It's pink, so you shouldn't have to use a lot of coats to get good coverage. If you still don't want to paint on the paint, just put down a layer of primer first.

Mister Batman
Oct 27, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait...you want to put joint compound over the entire wall? No, that's a terrible idea! You would never get it all perfectly smooth.

Ever.

What's so wrong with just painting over paint? It's pink, so you shouldn't have to use a lot of coats to get good coverage. If you still don't want to paint on the paint, just put down a layer of primer first.

Well, I've been looking at this stuff, and it's either joint compound or actual plaster which seems expensive and also requires a bonding agent, people seem to do both, although I'm okay with just the joint compound.

e: I'm aware that paint will also get the job done, and will prime beforehand anyway, but it just seems like having a plaster-like finish would look better.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
"plaster-like finish"

Are you painting brick? Rentals come with the "do not paint without approval" because people want a different color on the walls but don't realize there's a lot of skill in painting *properly*.

Ask the landlord. Make sure to be honest and tell them how joint compound is cheaper and will give the room a plaster-like finish.

Mister Batman
Oct 27, 2012

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"plaster-like finish"

Are you painting brick? Rentals come with the "do not paint without approval" because people want a different color on the walls but don't realize there's a lot of skill in painting *properly*.

Ask the landlord. Make sure to be honest and tell them how joint compound is cheaper and will give the room a plaster-like finish.

I've asked about repainting already, and they said it's fine, would probably ask again for joint compound. Might just go with a non-glossy paint now that I think about it, satin or probably eggshell.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

dongsweep posted:

What is the John Woo movie that has an insanely long one take action sequence? Was it Hard Boiled? The Killer?

It's Hard Boiled. From Wikipedia:

After long hours of filming in the hospital, the crew became exhausted. This led to having the last scene be one long five-minute scene of action to shorten the time needed to film. To complete this, during the scene when two characters go into an elevator to talk for twenty seconds, the crew changes the scene entirely and sets up the explosions for the scene to continue seamlessly.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Mister Batman posted:

I've asked about repainting already, and they said it's fine, would probably ask again for joint compound. Might just go with a non-glossy paint now that I think about it, satin or probably eggshell.

For interior non-kitchen/bathroom always go with a latex paint with satin finish.
Is the wall textured? Why do you feel like you need to coat the entire wall? Nail holes?

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Any reason why I might be getting light headed? I bent down to pick up a box from work yesterday and as I slowly raised up my vision went blackish and I got very woozy.
This happens from time to time even when I'm not doing anything.
I have been a vegetarian for 4 years. I eat pretty balanced (at least I think so)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone know an good, trusted openPGP encrypter/decrypter for windows?

RebBrownies posted:

Any reason why I might be getting light headed? I bent down to pick up a box from work yesterday and as I slowly raised up my vision went blackish and I got very woozy.
I have been a vegetarian for 4 years. I eat pretty balanced (at least I think so)

I think it happens to everyone from time to time.
From what I know, it has to do with dehydration. Less fluid in you = lower blood pressure = easier to deprive your head slightly of blood.
There are probably other things behind it too, but I dunno.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RebBrownies posted:

Cancer, lupus, and/or AIDS. Also steak deficiency.

Seriously though, orthostatic hypotension.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

A friend of mine in the gaming industry (Polish native) asked me a question I'm not entirely sure about, not being a native speaker myself. He's currently working on the maturity filter of a game, and his question is whether the phrase "Suck it." (as the player character shoots/kills an enemy) is considered vulgar and should be taken out or changed when the maturity filter is on.

I told him yes, because although the language itself isn't vulgar, the implication "Suck my dick." is, but I've been wrong before on subtleties like this in the past, so I thought I'd ask here.

Any native US/UK speakers that could weigh in?

Taeke fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 20, 2012

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Taeke posted:

A friend of mine in the gaming industry (Polish native) asked me a question I'm not entirely sure about, not being a native speaker myself. He's currently working on the maturity filter of a game, and his question is whether the phrase "Suck it." (as the player character shoots/kills an enemy) is considered vulgar and should be taken out or changed when the maturity filter is on.

I told him yes, because although the language itself isn't vulgar, the implication "Suck my dick." is, but I've been wrong before on subtleties like this in the past, so I thought I'd ask here.

Depends on how stringent you want your maturity feature to be, but yes, I can imagine I would be surprised to hear that in a game if the maturity filter was on.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taeke posted:

I told him yes, because although the language itself isn't vulgar, the implication "Suck my dick.", is, but I've been wrong before on subtleties like this in the past, so I thought I'd ask here.

Yeah, I think most native speakers would say "suck it" originates from "suck my dick" or something similarly sexually violent/aggressive. It may not be the actual etymology, but it doesn't matter: if people believe that's what it means, then that's what it effectively means. It's language, baby! :tipshat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4GoalAVE7I

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

angelicism posted:

Depends on how stringent you want your maturity feature to be, but yes, I can imagine I would be surprised to hear that in a game if the maturity filter was on.

That's what we figured. Words like 'gently caress' are obviously taken out, and the less vile word 'poo poo' is too, so an oral sex reference should be as well.

We just needed someone to confirm what we were already thinking, thanks. :)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
In the United States, especially, we have an exceptionally high tolerance for violence, and an exceptionally low tolerance for foul language. I mean, it's kind of absurd that you have to remove the word "poo poo" from your murder-simulator (justified-killing simulator?), but here we are.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Gravity Pike posted:

In the United States, especially, we have an exceptionally high tolerance for violence, and an exceptionally low tolerance for foul language. I mean, it's kind of absurd that you have to remove the word "poo poo" from your murder-simulator (justified-killing simulator?), but here we are.

You guys do everything backwards, it's okay. Substitute "foul language" with "nudity" and/or "sex" as well. You can shoot women but not topless women, especially if they're uttering obscenities.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

RebBrownies posted:

It's usually low blood sugar. Happens to me occasionally and a snack always sorts it out.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

But the killing is obviously fake, whereas those words are, like.... bad... words! They're just bad okay? :colbert:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there some sort of amazing device that let's me text other people using my cell phone service while not using a cell phone? I've been texting a lot lately but my cell phone's keyboard sucks and I'd rather use a full sized keyboard or maybe my computer or something. Also this is a verizon dumbphone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If you had an Android phone you could use AirDroid, but that's not going to work with your dumbphone.

If we take the "using my cell phone service" part out, you can use SMS gateways to send emails that get delivered as SMS. They will show as coming from your email address and can be replied to just like a regular SMS.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Avocados posted:

Is there some sort of amazing device that let's me text other people using my cell phone service while not using a cell phone? I've been texting a lot lately but my cell phone's keyboard sucks and I'd rather use a full sized keyboard or maybe my computer or something. Also this is a verizon dumbphone.

you can sign up for google voice and text from your browser. It will be a different # though. You can have texts/calls from that google # fwded to your dumbphone as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dudebro posted:

You guys do everything backwards, it's okay. Substitute "foul language" with "nudity" and/or "sex" as well. You can shoot women but not topless women, especially if they're uttering obscenities.

My favorite thing was watching an episode of sons of anarchy where they obscured a boob, but later in the episode they cut some guys balls off and showed the bloody balls fall out of his sack. The logic that goes into our censorship standards is just...amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I've had cold sores about once a year since I was a kid, and Valtrex is really effective in stopping them before they get really bad. Unfortunately, I've never had a doctor write me a prescription for infinite refills despite the fact that I've had blood tests done for this specific medication, have had no side effects, and it's a medication that treats a condition that will never completely go away. Is there even such a thing as an infinite prescription, or am I stuck going to a walk-in clinic once a year just to ask them for a refill and a bill for their consultation?