Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Can someone fill me in one these fancy transformation device powers? I get that they turn you into something neat and give you a slew of new powers but... Well I don't know anything besides that. What do Cybernetic Ninjas get to do (besides look like Raiden)? What is a "Celestial," exactly? What else do these things do that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Section Z posted:

fear is just a gimmick for Darkness?
It's not, because of Spirit Reverberation and the fact that Ebon Ruin's +15% damage to feared targets advantage is only 1 point.

Paranormal Paranoia might be questionable if you've got the energy to spam Ebon Ruin though.

e: Whoops.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 18, 2012

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
He's referring to the become celestial device, I think, not the power set. And to answer the question, the device pretty much just turns you into some kind of angel gives you a pile of celestial powers.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I've got another weird theme build question. I've got a character I've been trying to make a powerset for since forever. Started as dual blades. Made him heavy weapons when that came out. But the thing is the chain powers would be perfect for him. I originally tried mixing in the supernatural ones into the DB build way back in the day. Then more recently tried to use the Might chains to spice up the HW build. But I wonder now if it's possible to make a build where chains are the main part of your damage. It appears from a little experimentation that Infernal chains are the way to go here. Stacking bleeds and poisons.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

rex monday posted:

I've got another weird theme build question. I've got a character I've been trying to make a powerset for since forever. Started as dual blades. Made him heavy weapons when that came out. But the thing is the chain powers would be perfect for him. I originally tried mixing in the supernatural ones into the DB build way back in the day. Then more recently tried to use the Might chains to spice up the HW build. But I wonder now if it's possible to make a build where chains are the main part of your damage. It appears from a little experimentation that Infernal chains are the way to go here. Stacking bleeds and poisons.

You can certainly do it, but it's not going to be the best thing ever or even in the same zip code. Not much in the game will punish you too much for the choice though. Meteor hammer is a fun advantage at the very least.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So I've removed Crippling Challenge from this build and added in Epidemic as a PbAOE on this altered Power Armor-based build. I'll probably play this as a tanking Hybrid, for the Bulwark Hybrid role +threat generation. Would you all say this is a pretty solid ranged tank that can still stand a beating? Or should I allocate advantages elsewhere or rethink power selection?

EDIT: Oh motherfucker. I pony up for Gold membership and I suddenly get locked out of using my Silver characters that I played yesterday with just fine as a Gold member. The Play button is greyed out.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 19, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Dinictus posted:

So I've removed Crippling Challenge from this build and added in Epidemic as a PbAOE on this altered Power Armor-based build. I'll probably play this as a tanking Hybrid, for the Bulwark Hybrid role +threat generation. Would you all say this is a pretty solid ranged tank that can still stand a beating? Or should I allocate advantages elsewhere or rethink power selection?

EDIT: Oh motherfucker. I pony up for Gold membership and I suddenly get locked out of using my Silver characters that I played yesterday with just fine as a Gold member. The Play button is greyed out.

You have to click the 'Convert' button which lets you choose to keep the current AT, go freeform, or choose another AT.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Tsurupettan posted:

You have to click the 'Convert' button which lets you choose to keep the current AT, go freeform, or choose another AT.

Do I at least get to make all my four normal character slots (yeah, I bought two character slots on the last sale) Silver again after my subscription runs out?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Dinictus posted:

Do I at least get to make all my four normal character slots (yeah, I bought two character slots on the last sale) Silver again after my subscription runs out?

You can convert them to an AT you have access to.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Tsurupettan posted:

You can convert them to an AT you have access to.

Well, cheers. Let's hope I can at least do this indefinitely.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Dinictus posted:

Well, cheers. Let's hope I can at least do this indefinitely.

If you're merely changing account type without changing the character, you can do it as many times as you like. However, last I checked there was a limit if you're actually changing the character, whether to freeform or to different archetypes, and eventually the game will decide that you need to buy some token to change them again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dinictus posted:

Huh, that's surprising. I can understand them locking you out of your shiny freeform characters if you stop being a Gold subber... But why the hell would they lock you out of your F2P Archetypes that you can still create and use as a Gold?

Bonus enraged confusion because you're getting slammed with this surprised after you give them money.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Section Z posted:

Huh, that's surprising. I can understand them locking you out of your shiny freeform characters if you stop being a Gold subber... But why the hell would they lock you out of your F2P Archetypes that you can still create and use as a Gold?

Bonus enraged confusion because you're getting slammed with this surprised after you give them money.

You can continue using the character as-is, it just does it so you can change it to freeform or another AT if you so desire.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is when your gold lapses and you want to play your now-gold-silvers still. I just keep separate gold and silver characters, and sometimes will convert silvers into golds and freeform them if I like them enough. So while I'm subbed I have a bunch of gold 40s and whatnot to play, when I'm not I have...a magician luchador that I've barely touched.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

Well, the CO forums seem to state it's just a backwards way of keeping characters accessible. I can freely convert them back to Silver, and it's not like I'm gonna convert them all to Freeform. So I should be alright. Just curious why the conversion is mandatory.

Anyway, that means at least I too can join in on creating more effective (and/or more gimmicky) builds and concepts.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dinictus posted:

Dumb question, maybe, but what are the quicker ways to earn up to the daily 8K Questionite refining limit on any given char? There's the dailies, 2K, ranging from easily done to nervewracking if you're stuck with pubbies in a group on bad villains, 1.5K from running Gravitar and surviving, and right now Hi Pan's alert giving a Questionite box that may contain a windfall. But outside of some lucky bosses in the Alerts or diligently farming Questionite boxes on Purple Reign (EDIT: which you can't mail to your alts, obviously) , what can a person do to relatively quickly get their Questionite in?

There's the 2,000 from doing the Alert Daily, another 2000 from running the Monster Island Crisis, Lermuria Crisis (also 2000, but a pain in the rear end), and the Nemesis Confrontation lair, which can give somewhere around 2000-10000 depending on your luck. Additionally, there's some weird way to get Gravitar to bug out and give you multiple instances of Q-ite that I haven't been able to get down (may have been fixed since I last played).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Does anyone know off-hand if talents that trigger off of CC (Wither, Sentinel Mastery) work if the CC is prevented by diminishing returns?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

OneEightHundred posted:

Does anyone know off-hand if talents that trigger off of CC (Wither, Sentinel Mastery) work if the CC is prevented by diminishing returns?

I'm fairly sure they still trigger as long as the CC goes off, even if the target is immune. At least I remember seeing the debuff icon when using a hold during alerts with cc-immune bosses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone have screenshots of the new stuff?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
All they did was set up a tree and snow. Real event coming on the 25th. :argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bluhman posted:

All they did was set up a tree and snow. Real event coming on the 25th. :argh:

You said people have had access for days with the old stuff!

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Is anyone else having trouble logging in? Since last night I've been able to actually get to the game about 1 in 10 tries. And if I change characters I have to go through it all again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Trying out the Fire build Section Z linked to, and I'm wondering what role I should be in? Right now, I'm in Hybrid.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BlueDestiny posted:

I'm fairly sure they still trigger as long as the CC goes off, even if the target is immune. At least I remember seeing the debuff icon when using a hold during alerts with cc-immune bosses.
Found the answer to this: Sentinel Mastery goes off just about no matter what (which makes it really good!), but Wither only lasts through the duration of the CC effect (which makes it poo poo).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kheldarn posted:

Trying out the Fire build Section Z linked to, and I'm wondering what role I should be in? Right now, I'm in Hybrid.
Been a bit since I played, so Tanker or Hybrid both work just fine in the "Literally nothing can kill you" early content (I was Hybrid at the time when I burnt Death Dragon to death). I'd figure for later on just ask yourself "Do I want the extra Aggro from Tanker Role or not?". Not that aggro matters solo.

Feel free to screw with it however you like. I just put together what looked fun with a side of picking up clicky buffs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 26, 2012

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I keep getting a lot of Hover Tank Arsenal Lockboxes. I don't see any listed on the auction house, so I'm not sure if I can sell them there or not...

Should I just sell them to an NPC Vendor?

Section Z posted:

Been a bit since I played, so Tanker or Hybrid both work just fine in the "Literally nothing can kill you" early content (I was Hybrid at the time when I burnt Death Dragon to death). I'd figure for later on just ask yourself "Do I want the extra Aggro from Tanker Role or not?". Not that aggro matters solo.

Feel free to screw with it however you like. I just put together what looked fun with a side of picking up clicky buffs.

Cool. I'm only 8, and Tank role seems to keep me alive better, so I'll probably stick with that.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Lockboxes are a gimmick, they're effectively advertisements for keys that take up inventory space.

They're only worth as much as the number of keys you have. If that's zero, throw them out.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Man, the way vehicles were handled is some real bullshit. They could have at least handled the prices better... The whole drifter salvage bullshit certainly doesn't help.

Also can't help notice that the sound effects for opening a present are identical to the ones in City of Heroes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In City of Heroes, I loved playing Martial Arts and Street Justice /Regeneration Brutes. I want to make something that can just punch the faces off of everything, and heal all day long.

I've got a Level 16 Behemoth that I want to convert to Freeform. Can anyone point me to some builds/guides, so I can get some ideas? Thanks!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Get Havoc Stomp ASAP, also ignore the Recovery stat (if you need energy go for Endurance instead.)

For punching, just about all the Unarmed powers are fantastic, in fact you really cant go wrong with any of the Martial Arts powers (besides Claws).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 26, 2012

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

OneEightHundred posted:

Lockboxes are a gimmick, they're effectively advertisements for keys that take up inventory space.

They're only worth as much as the number of keys you have. If that's zero, throw them out.

Yup, I just stick them in the last slot of my last backpack. They stack to 999 and when they do, I just toss 'em.

Kheldarn posted:

In City of Heroes, I loved playing Martial Arts and Street Justice /Regeneration Brutes. I want to make something that can just punch the faces off of everything, and heal all day long.

I've got a Level 16 Behemoth that I want to convert to Freeform. Can anyone point me to some builds/guides, so I can get some ideas? Thanks!

Here's a quick bash I put together.

I tried to keep the powers as close to the theme of CoH's MA and StJ as I could. A couple powers left at the end for whatever and the Mastery is open too. Regen is pretty good on it's own, and with this and dodge gear, you have a mini Lightning Reflexes as well- so you heal even more with Resurgent Reiki. And your crits heal you too.

Set is up as a tank build but you don't have to take the crippling challenge and the Bulwark spec- Or swap the Protector tree out for something else like Warden Guardian (I always mix those two up) for another 100% defense to offense spec!

Also, I pick powers like that due to using a controller. So I use the base buttons for the EB, Big single target attack on Y and spammy single target on B. Then, with L Trigger, I have long range attack on X, PBAoE on Y and lunge is always B while A is whatever.
R Trigger is where I put my Active/Defensive powers and stuff like Bountiful too.

The last, upper left hotbar is just misc stuff. Stealth, Toggles and what not.

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 27, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
So I just made a bind that spams the entire Champions Anniversary Song into local chat in the press of a key...

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
So, how do I participate in the Christmas content? Is it just picking up a stocking stuffer under the tree with each character? Is there any way to earn the costume parts from previous years? (Mostly looking for the giant mustache and the harlequin mask)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Do I need to pick a Crafting Skill (Arms/Science/Mysticism)? If so, does it matter what I choose?

Also, are there settings to 1) Keep the camera from resetting to that awful looking down angle every time I zone/log?, and/or 2) Make the Auto on my Energy Builder persistant through zones?

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within

Kheldarn posted:

Make the Auto on my Energy Builder persistant through zones?

I'm thinking their is a bug related to this, you used to be able to leave it toggled on and it would persist through the zones. I always end up low on energy the first few moments of an Alert now because I'm so used to it simply firing off whenever you have someone in range/targeted.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Do I need to pick a Crafting Skill (Arms/Science/Mysticism)? If so, does it matter what I choose?
You don't need to, but it's free money.

The way the skills differ are:
- Mysticism nodes can contain Sentinel's Brooches, the skill can fuse those, CON mods, and INT mods
- Arms nodes can contain Impact Prisms, the skill can fuse those, STR mods, DEX mods, and REC mods
- Science nodes can contain Gambler's Lucky Gems, the skill can fuse those, EGO mods, PRE mods, and END mods

All nodes can potentially contain Growth Pendants, catalysts, and any type of stat mod, and you can fuse Growth Pendants no matter what you took.

What skill you take does NOT affect what mods you can use or how effective they are.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK. So, pick the skill that fuses mods for my primary Super Stat? Like Science for Ego, Arms for Dex, etc?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

You don't need to, but it's free money.

The way the skills differ are:
- Mysticism nodes can contain Sentinel's Brooches, the skill can fuse those, CON mods, and INT mods
- Arms nodes can contain Impact Prisms, the skill can fuse those, STR mods, DEX mods, and REC mods
- Science nodes can contain Gambler's Lucky Gems, the skill can fuse those, EGO mods, PRE mods, and END mods

All nodes can potentially contain Growth Pendants, catalysts, and any type of stat mod, and you can fuse Growth Pendants no matter what you took.

What skill you take does NOT affect what mods you can use or how effective they are.
I wish it said THAT kind of info in the in game tutorial :argh: I just looked at the unique effects the trainers mentioned. One mentioned it could buff offense/defense. Another mentioned it could buff Crit Chance/Dodge Chance. Magic was Hold resist or some poo poo.

No big deal to reset to taste, but missing/lame/wrong game documentation is a manchild pet peeve of mine. (Oh my loving god Combat Jumping is Immobilize PROTECTION not resist Jesus you are the WORST mouseover tooltip!)

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
There's a lot of misinformation floating around about the R&D skills. Test for yourself and you will discover that you can fuse any mods regardless of which skill you chose, and your success rate at fusing is not affected by whether a mod is of the type you chose or not. Your choice affects only two things:

1. Which nodes you can harvest (and consequently what mods you get while harvesting). This barely matters because nodes aren't a terribly good source of mods; you get higher rank mods by killing stuff. Normally I love harvesting in games, but in CO it just isn't a terribly productive activity.

2. Which mods will give you skill-ups when fused. Beyond a certain point (341 skill as I recall) harvesting won't raise your skill any more which means you can only gain skill by fusing. Fuse things marked with the appropriate skill and you will gain a point, otherwise you won't gain a point.

Number 2 is obviously not something to base your choice on, so as trivial as number 1 is, it's the only thing to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I'm sure this is old news, but apparently Sentinel Mastery is also affected by bonus healing and is generally really broken if you go out of your way to abuse it. I've hit the point where I'm hardly healing on my heavy-support char because all I have to do is mash the Shadow Blast button and the entire team gets 5% of their max health back every second from JUST that, and it's completely aggro-free because it attributes the mob as the source.