Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Yo freddie gibbis, can I use milquetoast for a short first-person helmetcam firefighting vid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

holy loving poo poo. getting real monitors is like when you get water in your ear and you can kinda hear everything but then your ear drains and YOU CAN HEAR LIKE NEVER BEFORE

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hey
I want to learn how to make beats, but I'm not really sure what to do. All I've done so far is play around with the FL Studio demo and listen to a lot of rap music. Any tips appreciated! I have some musical knowledge from playing the guitar for a couple of years but thats it

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Try recreating elements of songs you like. Figure out the tempo and drum pattern and replicate it, figure out the bass line, etc. that includes figuring out how to reproduce their timbre

That gets you comfortable with your tools.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

A real easy one to make is "crank dat" by soulja boy. it's all stock FL sounds.

example that I did in like 10 minutes:

http://tindeck.com/listen/rtlk

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

yay first time i managed to actually sample something for a beat. all my other ones have been all original instrumentation. samples are from El Guincho - Bombay. planning on using this beat myself unless you are really good at rapping and want to use it, fyi

https://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/bombs-away/s-K90b0

EDIT: also fyi as always i am open to collab with people in this thread that don't think rapping over the Bird on a Wire beat in their closet on their android phone is a good idea. get in touch if you wanna do a project. especially over this holiday time at the end of the year

whoknew fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 17, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

it was originally this

http://tindeck.com/listen/gaxz

Thoughts/comments.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

invision posted:

it was originally this

http://tindeck.com/listen/gaxz

Thoughts/comments.

twisted as hell, enjoyed

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Freddy, thunderthief, anyone fairly talented, pls rap over this

https://soundcloud.com/postpre/oyasumi-sleeps-never-easy

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

whoknew posted:

yay first time i managed to actually sample something for a beat. all my other ones have been all original instrumentation. samples are from El Guincho - Bombay. planning on using this beat myself unless you are really good at rapping and want to use it, fyi

https://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/bombs-away/s-K90b0

EDIT: also fyi as always i am open to collab with people in this thread that don't think rapping over the Bird on a Wire beat in their closet on their android phone is a good idea. get in touch if you wanna do a project. especially over this holiday time at the end of the year

Liking this beat. Did you have an idea for it? We gotta get a session going with me, you and thndrthf.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I've been havin cats at my house 3-4 days a week for the last month or so, get @ me after new years and we can do some motherfuckin rap church son

I'm out in the Yay area for a week then Seattle for another week but ima be back in Brownsville the 4th or so

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

i like this idea

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

lanzy posted:

anyone complete garbage at rapping, pls rap over this

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41287478/Music/sleepwillcome.mp3

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Chwoka posted:

turn up the snares and the guitar bits are a little too dissonant imo -- if you do i'll try to write something on it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chwoka posted:

on it

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Chwoka posted:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
What's everyone's writing process like? I usually don't really feel the stuff I write after sitting on it for a few weeks and I think it's a side effect of A) lack of experience, just gotta write more and B) not having a clear idea of what I want to produce

Usually I will just sit down "to write music". I will hit up YouTube/Spotify and find a break to chop or something I think would make a cool sample, or I will open a synth and design a patch I think sounds nice, and then I try to write a song around what I came up with. So my writing process is basically exploratory until I find something I think is cool, then I try to write a song around it.

I'm just not feeling my stuff though. I know you're your own harshest critic and all but I know it's not very good and I want to keep improving. I just gotta keep producing(and analyzing my production and other people's production) to improve, but I also feel like maybe I need to find a "direction" or "inspiration" because what's music without passion? Cool noises.

So where do you start? Do you already know what the song should sound like when you start writing, and then try to fill it in with samples and patches that match? Or do you start with the sample or patch, explore and find an interesting way to play it, and proceed from there?

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

whoknew posted:

turn up the snares and the guitar bits are a little too dissonant imo -- if you do i'll try to write something on it

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41287478/Music/sleepwillcome2.mp3

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

whoknew posted:

rapping over the Bird on a Wire beat in their closet on their android phone is a good idea.

Yeah sorry about that one guys

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

ashgromnies posted:

What's everyone's writing process like? I usually don't really feel the stuff I write after sitting on it for a few weeks and I think it's a side effect of A) lack of experience, just gotta write more and B) not having a clear idea of what I want to produce

Usually I will just sit down "to write music". I will hit up YouTube/Spotify and find a break to chop or something I think would make a cool sample, or I will open a synth and design a patch I think sounds nice, and then I try to write a song around what I came up with. So my writing process is basically exploratory until I find something I think is cool, then I try to write a song around it.

I'm just not feeling my stuff though. I know you're your own harshest critic and all but I know it's not very good and I want to keep improving. I just gotta keep producing(and analyzing my production and other people's production) to improve, but I also feel like maybe I need to find a "direction" or "inspiration" because what's music without passion? Cool noises.

So where do you start? Do you already know what the song should sound like when you start writing, and then try to fill it in with samples and patches that match? Or do you start with the sample or patch, explore and find an interesting way to play it, and proceed from there?

Non-genre-specific song structure advice here:

Sometimes if I have a basic beat or chord progression that I like and want to build it out to a full track, I'll take a song that I like and that I feel has good flow and energy and I'll import it into an audio track in Ableton, warp it so it matches the beat markers, then insert locators with labels like "4 bar instrumental break", or put "Verse 1 - 16 bars" at the start of a verse, and if something happens halfway through the verse like "Becomes spare and tense" I add one for that too... I then listen and identify as many different instruments or sounds as I can in the track, and I add a midi channel for each one. So if a track has drums, bass, flutes, scratching, a couple of samples from a movie, some sound effects and an electric organ, I'll add 7 midi channels. I might actually bump that up to 8 because I like to give myself an "extra drums" midi channel for fills and miscellaneous extra hits.

Then I move on to sketching out the patterns and parts I'll need. I start with the drums, since in most songs the drums will be there almost all the way through. I'll try to identify how many bars of drumming there is before it loops back to the start of the pattern. Then I'll insert a blank midi clip, label it something like "Main 4-bar pattern" for that amount of bars, starting at the first place that pattern occurs. Then I'll copy and paste that clip to match every instance of that pattern in the song. If there is a different pattern that occurs, I make a different empty clip, calling it something like "Alternate 8-bar pattern", and against paste copies of that empty clip everywhere that pattern occurs. If there are different fills that happen throughout the track, then I go through and identify where they happen. If one happens in the last bar of a 4-bar pattern, then I shorten that instance of the 4-bar pattern by one bar and insert an empty clip on my Extra Drums channel and label that "Fill 1" or something.

Move through every identified instrument in the song until you have populated the entire song. If you want, you can be more descriptive and label a clip "moody, descending 4-bar bass pattern" instead of just "Main 4-bar basss pattern." A portion of a song might look like this:

After the song has a complete skeleton, so to speak, you can take creative liberties. Think one of the choruses should be repeated? Cool, duplicate that portion of the track. Just be careful that you don't do something that fucks up the cool energy and flow that you liked about the original. If you don't think a flute matches the tone of what you've started or what you have in mind, you can pick a different sound that might cover the same frequency range (a guitar, maybe) and just rename your "Flute" track to be "Guitar", but leave the empty clips arranged as they are.

Now, take the music you've already written and fit it into that grid. If you have, say, a 4-bar drum pattern and a matching bass line that you think should be the chorus of the song, fill out the chorus parts with that. Then you'll have all these leftover empty clips where you have an idea of, "Oh, I should work on an electric organ or whatever sound I want to use in the role that electric organ played in the other person's song. It looks like I need to write an 8-bar pattern that matches up with my drums and my bass." So on and so forth. Hope that helps.

e: I know not everybody uses Ableton but some version of this method should be applicable to each DAW.

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 19, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Shovelbearer posted:

Non-genre-specific song structure advice here:

Sometimes if I have a basic beat or chord progression that I like and want to build it out to a full track, I'll take a song that I like and that I feel has good flow and energy and I'll import it into an audio track in Ableton, warp it so it matches the beat markers, then insert locators with labels like "4 bar instrumental break", or put "Verse 1 - 16 bars" at the start of a verse, and if something happens halfway through the verse like "Becomes spare and tense" I add one for that too... I then listen and identify as many different instruments or sounds as I can in the track, and I add a midi channel for each one. So if a track has drums, bass, flutes, scratching, a couple of samples from a movie, some sound effects and an electric organ, I'll add 7 midi channels. I might actually bump that up to 8 because I like to give myself an "extra drums" midi channel for fills and miscellaneous extra hits.

Then I move on to sketching out the patterns and parts I'll need. I start with the drums, since in most songs the drums will be there almost all the way through. I'll try to identify how many bars of drumming there is before it loops back to the start of the pattern. Then I'll insert a blank midi clip, label it something like "Main 4-bar pattern" for that amount of bars, starting at the first place that pattern occurs. Then I'll copy and paste that clip to match every instance of that pattern in the song. If there is a different pattern that occurs, I make a different empty clip, calling it something like "Alternate 8-bar pattern", and against paste copies of that empty clip everywhere that pattern occurs. If there are different fills that happen throughout the track, then I go through and identify where they happen. If one happens in the last bar of a 4-bar pattern, then I shorten that instance of the 4-bar pattern by one bar and insert an empty clip on my Extra Drums channel and label that "Fill 1" or something.

Move through every identified instrument in the song until you have populated the entire song. If you want, you can be more descriptive and label a clip "moody, descending 4-bar bass pattern" instead of just "Main 4-bar basss pattern." A portion of a song might look like this:

After the song has a complete skeleton, so to speak, you can take creative liberties. Think one of the choruses should be repeated? Cool, duplicate that portion of the track. Just be careful that you don't do something that fucks up the cool energy and flow that you liked about the original. If you don't think a flute matches the tone of what you've started or what you have in mind, you can pick a different sound that might cover the same frequency range (a guitar, maybe) and just rename your "Flute" track to be "Guitar", but leave the empty clips arranged as they are.

Now, take the music you've already written and fit it into that grid. If you have, say, a 4-bar drum pattern and a matching bass line that you think should be the chorus of the song, fill out the chorus parts with that. Then you'll have all these leftover empty clips where you have an idea of, "Oh, I should work on an electric organ or whatever sound I want to use in the role that electric organ played in the other person's song. It looks like I need to write an 8-bar pattern that matches up with my drums and my bass." So on and so forth. Hope that helps.

e: I know not everybody uses Ableton but some version of this method should be applicable to each DAW.

That's good advice for breaking songwriting down. Gonna get charged and try it out tonight with something from my beat archives. Thanks a lot.

I'm nervous to post my poo poo, everyone else's always sounds better to me. I feel like I need to marinate more. I want to write something that I listen to afterwards and involuntarily say "drat!" I used to perform with bands and it was never so stressful because it wasn't my own songwriting I was showing to the world, and it was all punk music so it was more about being energetic on stage and getting people into it as opposed to consciously writing something. Performance vs composition I guess. Performance can be more improvisational, more feelings-based whereas I guess I'm over thinking my production and need to shut up and make music and put it out and get some feedback on it.

I'll post a track soon. When I have something I feel good about.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

ashgromnies posted:

introspective poo poo

dude, my honest advice here is that I've released poo poo that is no where near as good as the stuff I have now, but releasing the poo poo you do have means you can get solid critiques and commentary from this thread. I started out on an iPad with a headset mic and now I am not entirely terrible and I attribute that completely to this thread.

if you're really an artist you can't stop doing it and you can't shut up that voice inside you that tells you that you can always further purify and master your art. so just loving release cause real artists ship and realize that there is always another step higher than the one you are on.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

whoknew posted:

dude, my honest advice here is that I've released poo poo that is no where near as good as the stuff I have now, but releasing the poo poo you do have means you can get solid critiques and commentary from this thread. I started out on an iPad with a headset mic and now I am not entirely terrible and I attribute that completely to this thread.

if you're really an artist you can't stop doing it and you can't shut up that voice inside you that tells you that you can always further purify and master your art. so just loving release cause real artists ship and realize that there is always another step higher than the one you are on.

whoknew dropping knowledge again, at this rate you'll be starting the next thread...

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
just kidding, gently caress you

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

im shittin on these old school thread hoes (jk love you too Jay)

EDIT: also as an addendum to my previous post ashgromnies, your poo poo may sound worse than everyone else's cause of something as simple as your master compression being mis-set and there's no way for us to know unless you post something

also Tahm Bwady i only poo poo on you because i care. if you get real equipment i will be glad to toss a beat at your rear end

whoknew fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 20, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Ok here's something I had sitting around incomplete: https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/scorpio

loving with the cutoff at the end doesn't sound cool at all listening to it now

extended drum solo time in beginning is retarded

snare doesn't snap well at all, i'll layer more snare samples on to make it bigger and maybe reverb and compression

actually the whole intro is bad because the individual elements aren't interesting enough by themselves to stand up to it

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 20, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

ashgromnies posted:

I always start with an idea I've had in my head for a day or two. Then I can't get that idea to work so I go in another direction and it ends up working. I think 75% of my tracks start out that way.

Like with this track I made last week, I started out trying to make the sample the main part but I some how ended up chopping it into something almost unrecognizable and in deep in the background.

https://soundcloud.com/grungerdude91/teddy-pederast-love-dont-live

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

ashgromnies posted:

Ok here's something I had sitting around incomplete: https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/scorpio

loving with the cutoff at the end doesn't sound cool at all listening to it now

extended drum solo time in beginning is retarded

snare doesn't snap well at all, i'll layer more snare samples on to make it bigger and maybe reverb and compression

actually the whole intro is bad because the individual elements aren't interesting enough by themselves to stand up to it

make it grimier. i like it, it just needs some tape hiss or overdrive or something. its weird and weird always benefits from dirt and grime.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Your composition isn't terrible, but your mix/master needs a lot of help. Try listening to some songs you consider well mastered and try to approximate the sound. Figure out what's loudest, how things are panned, etc. I agree that it needs more dirt too.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

whoknew posted:

Your composition isn't terrible, but your mix/master needs a lot of help. Try listening to some songs you consider well mastered and try to approximate the sound. Figure out what's loudest, how things are panned, etc. I agree that it needs more dirt too.
I have literally no idea how to master. Do you just apply EQ to the whole track? I just use Maschine right now. For mixing I EQ the individual tracks but I usually don't like the way it comes out in the mids and highs. I can usually make a bassline knock ok but I have trouble making the top cohesive without being muddy

Edit: http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-master-a-track-in-15-minutes-or-less/ looks like it would be a good start

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 20, 2012

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

ashgromnies posted:

I have literally no idea how to master. Do you just apply EQ to the whole track? I just use Maschine right now. For mixing I EQ the individual tracks but I usually don't like the way it comes out in the mids and highs. I can usually make a bassline knock ok but I have trouble making the top cohesive without being muddy

Edit: http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-master-a-track-in-15-minutes-or-less/ looks like it would be a good start

yeah that is a pretty good start. don't dither your poo poo for no reason unless it's going on a CD

EDIT: if you have money this poo poo is like magic http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

whoknew fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 20, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Jesus H Nyce posted:

get rich or die mayan

dude

also i think most of you (as terrible as you all are) could do a better job than this so why aren't you rich yet you bunch of shirtless dummmies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeT3pL4QdWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

so why aren't you rich yet you bunch of shirtless dummmies

Rich yet? poo poo I make that republican money blanco

I should buy a shirt though

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

THNDRTHF posted:

dude

also i think most of you (as terrible as you all are) could do a better job than this so why aren't you rich yet you bunch of shirtless dummmies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeT3pL4QdWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm too smooth to grind.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

And I murdered that sample by soaking it in reverb (you'll see what I mean) but I couldn't find an acapella to put over it

edit: nvm remixing, just noticed a couple other things

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

lanzy posted:

This poo poo is lovely. Really surreal and chilled out.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
OK here is a thing I did https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/thesemoments

I tried to focus on the mix more.

edit: did remix and changed url woops

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 22, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Let's get soulful and aggressive. https://soundcloud.com/lemondropkid/lemon-drop-kid-piano-beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

whoknew posted:

also Tahm Bwady i only poo poo on you because i care. if you get real equipment i will be glad to toss a beat at your rear end

I know :unsmith: and I've found a dude who's letting me record in his studio of an AT4040 through a presonus audiobox so no more ghetto as gently caress phone recordings for me! :v: Never touching that Bird on a Wire beat ever again though

• Locked thread