Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Memorable Name posted:

For the narrower typefaces, I would prefer if you either change the font size to fit to height or vertically aligned the text to the center, because it looks like there's just too much black space in the bottom in some banners and I think that would help people focus on the typeface itself a little more.

djw175 posted:

I'd say Agency FB at 75% or even less if possible.

Suspicious Dish posted:

75% is even too big. Scale it down much more. The banner is too tall, but it can be wider. The lack of centering and bad line wrap makes it look bad.

Put it all on one line, and use a decent font: if you want to be classy, Futura is a good sans-serif. Good serifs are hard to come by, but I'm really liking Bodoni right now.

Lose the white on black: white on black is a really big contrast, and real world usually never has bright white on pitch black, so use more grays, and maybe add a bit of color.

Thank you. I'm working on implementing these changes now. One question for everyone, is there a way to make sure I'm placing the text in the center other than eyeballing it? I plan on using Irfanview once I have this all settled so I can place the text in a constant position, but is there a better way to figure out where on the image to put the text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ThatPazuzu posted:

ThePeavstenator, move away from your mic some, it'll reduce the huffs and puffs I hear time to time.

The only problem is that it's attached to the headset I'm using and I have it below my chin extended as far away and down as it can be. I can't eliminate microphone boosting either because then the microphone is way too quiet.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

Thank you. I'm working on implementing these changes now. One question for everyone, is there a way to make sure I'm placing the text in the center other than eyeballing it? I plan on using Irfanview once I have this all settled so I can place the text in a constant position, but is there a better way to figure out where on the image to put the text?

If you're using Photoshop, you can put a guide marker at 50%, and dragging will snap to it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you're using Photoshop, you can put a guide marker at 50%, and dragging will snap to it.

I'm using Paint and IrfanView because I don't have Photoshop :negative:

Is Photoshop expensive these days? Is it worth it to buy just so I don't have to gently caress around with free image editing tools?

Also, making the background anything other than black makes the three game logos look really bad because they all have black backgrounds so I think I'm stuck with black unless anyone has a clever idea.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 19, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I can't answer those questions, since I don't use those tools, but it is available along with the entire Adobe suite (Premiere, Illustrator, Flash, etc.) for $50 a month, and available separately for $400.

Somebody else could probably tell you how to make guides and good-looking text in Paint.NET or GIMP or one of those other programs.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ThePeavstenator posted:

The only problem is that it's attached to the headset I'm using and I have it below my chin extended as far away and down as it can be. I can't eliminate microphone boosting either because then the microphone is way too quiet.

The other thing I'm trying to eliminate is the screen tearing. This isn't a problem with .avi, but I also can't upload a 6 gb file to Youtube, especially when this is old-fashioned SD. I'm experimenting with different kinds of .mp4 settings in Vegas. (And yes I'm only lossy encoding for the final product)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

axeil posted:

I'm using Paint and IrfanView because I don't have Photoshop :negative:

Is Photoshop expensive these days? Is it worth it to buy just so I don't have to gently caress around with free image editing tools?

Also, making the background anything other than black makes the three game logos look really bad because they all have black backgrounds so I think I'm stuck with black unless anyone has a clever idea.

Try Paint.Net. It's like Paint except better in every way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can't answer those questions, since I don't use those tools, but it is available along with the entire Adobe suite (Premiere, Illustrator, Flash, etc.) for $50 a month, and available separately for $400.

Somebody else could probably tell you how to make guides and good-looking text in Paint.NET or GIMP or one of those other programs.

I have GIMP installed, I've just never used it. Time to give it a shot.

I think at this point I need to move this over to the Tech Support Fort since we're getting into more technical aspects. I'll post when I've gotten the headers looking better.

Thanks for all your tips and critiques on the headers. I've never really done any image editing so I knew that was probably gonna be the weakest area.

djw175 posted:

Try Paint.Net. It's like Paint except better in every way.

I'll give that a shot too. Thanks!

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 19, 2012

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

ThePeavstenator posted:

The other thing I'm trying to eliminate is the screen tearing. This isn't a problem with .avi, but I also can't upload a 6 gb file to Youtube, especially when this is old-fashioned SD. I'm experimenting with different kinds of .mp4 settings in Vegas. (And yes I'm only lossy encoding for the final product)

Well, if you are using Vegas, then I'd use DebugMode Frameserver and pipe your finished project into MeGUI or your preferred x264 GUI. The built-in H.264 encoders in Vegas are kind of mediocre imo.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Agency is the only one I see working here. I'd go with something similar to the title font, what about Gunship?
http://www.dafont.com/gunship.font

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

TEST POST-Ty the Tasmanian Tiger LP

You don't have to keep mentioning that this is your first LP. No one is really going to care.

I've played Ty before and you mentioned some things that happen later in the game. You might want to avoid mentioning them until you get to them, it'll keep your introduction focused as you explain the game mechanics. It's alright to have some silence but, if you're struggling for things to say you can mention some of the game's background instead. For example, you can talk about the development process, how the game was marketed, how it was received, etc. Talking about the characteristics of Tasmanian Devils was a good idea. You've got screen tearing so you should head to the tech support thread if you haven't already. Maybe they'll be able to help you out.

Other than that, the video was alright. You seem to have registered yesterday so I doubt you're aware of forum etiquette if you image leeched (you fixed it though), quoted yourself to make a correction (use the edit function), and weren't aware of lpix. You should observe the forums and read rule threads. It isn't specific to your LP but, you'll have a much easier time if you're more accustomed to the forums.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Agency is the only one I see working here. I'd go with something similar to the title font, what about Gunship?
http://www.dafont.com/gunship.font

Oh wow. That looks really good, almost exactly like something the Eurasian Dynasty would use. Thanks!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

RickDaedalus posted:

You don't have to keep mentioning that this is your first LP. No one is really going to care.

I've played Ty before and you mentioned some things that happen later in the game. You might want to avoid mentioning them until you get to them, it'll keep your introduction focused as you explain the game mechanics. It's alright to have some silence but, if you're struggling for things to say you can mention some of the game's background instead. For example, you can talk about the development process, how the game was marketed, how it was received, etc. Talking about the characteristics of Tasmanian Devils was a good idea. You've got screen tearing so you should head to the tech support thread if you haven't already. Maybe they'll be able to help you out.

Other than that, the video was alright. You seem to have registered yesterday so I doubt you're aware of forum etiquette if you image leeched (you fixed it though), quoted yourself to make a correction (use the edit function), and weren't aware of lpix. You should observe the forums and read rule threads. It isn't specific to your LP but, you'll have a much easier time if you're more accustomed to the forums.

Thanks for the advice. I think that the cause of my constant talking was that I brainstormed a list beforehand of things to talk about. I let the list become my map and I suddenly felt like I absolutely had to mention everything on it.

I'm going to re-play this part of the game and keep some of the tips you guys gave me in mind. I think I'll be more relaxed a second time through and hopefully wont be talking the entire time. Also I think I figured out the frame tearing problem.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Try bringing it up to level with your nose instead. That seems to work well for me. Also, keeping it more to the side might work better than simply "away."

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I had always heard that the best position to have a headset mic is just above the nose; the wind from breathing won't get in and the sound should still travel perfectly fine.

Of course, I've never had a headset mic of my own (unless you count the 360 headset, which I do not), so I can't say for sure if that is the best or not.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

Inkscape is a fantastic little program if you're working with a set of graphical elements and you want to compose something out of them.
It's not for doing work on bitmaps themselves, but if you're using exsisting bitmaps and you just want to space a couple of things out it's really nice.

There are a couple of things you'll need to know, though:

"Align and Distribute" (Ctrl+Shift+A) will allow you to align objects in any way you want.

You can drag guides in from the sides.

"Transform" (Ctrl+Shift+M) will alow you to make asperger level changes to objects.

Clicking on an object will let you move and resize it. Clicking again will let you rotate it.

You can build complex objects from simple ones. This is done with Union (Ctrl++), Difference (Ctrl+-) and Intersection (Crtl+*) commands. These are pretty much the three most important commands you're gonna use.

"Document Properties" (Ctrl+Shift+D) will allow you to set the size of the document and, crucially, a non-transparent background if you need it.

PgUp and PgDn will move objects above or below one another. Elements are kept seperate and you'll only use layers if you're doing serious poo poo.

It takes some getting used to, but in my opionion it's a lot easier and quicker to use than Photoshop if you're basically only throwing two or three things together.

You can export to PNG, but if you can find a host that'll take SVG you don't even have to do that.

AtomD fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 19, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm a few hours late to this discussion, but I'll weigh in anyway, even if PC Snob has thankfully abandoned his idea.

The_PC_Snob posted:

I'm not even arguing they're original characters. They're archetypes and that's precisely what I explained. Heck, I can pull up the TV Tropes page for what each of them represent. As I said, I introduced them for readers to have something familiar with in the game. It was an idea that came AFTER I started creating the LP.

That's a pretty bad idea, and I am someone who wrote extra material and characterization for many of my LP's in various degrees.

Characters are not one-dimensional archtypes. They SHOULD be unique and interesting, complex with deeper feelings and emotions. Writing them is hard, especially if they're haven't got any backstory or much in-game character to work from.

It took me a lot of tries, getting feedback from various people to try and LEARN how to make a character who was interesting and worth reading around before I even started the LP. It'll take you a lot of tries as well.

Don't just throw in a bunch of shallow archtypes and call it a day.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, so now that we're done with PC Snob's poo poo, I get to make things awkward for that other guy doing an FE8 hack. At least it's not the same one.

Ephraim and...Lyn? save the day in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

I'll spare you the long OP, this will be my third FE LP and I'd like to think I can write them by now. The important things for this test post:

- I'm playing FE7 Crossover, which is a romhack that more or less does exactly what it says on the tin. 14 FE8 characters have been replaced by FE7 characters, though none of them show up in the prologue.

- The hack makes a whole bunch of under-the-hood mechanical changes, but it has a shitton of issues including awful sprite recolors, number inflation, and a total disregard for anything coming close to game balance.

- Despite changing out just under half the cast, not a single word of the script was changed. This is most obvious in Chapter 1 (which my test post is not covering), but for the sake of consistency, I've summarized the in-chapter plot and conversations. My primary concern is with the conversations - I've (tried to) cut a lot of talking out and condensed it down to the core of "What's going on, why are we here, and why are we doing this?" I ran it by a couple people before bringing it here, and they seemed to think it was fine. I'm worried that I cut too much and there wasn't enough left.

- I tried to write in a way that assumed at least a basic level of knowledge about Fire Emblem (what the weapon triangle is and how it works, what a "Jeigan" is, how the stats work, etc.), but without requiring any knowledge of FE8 itself at all. Again, it seems to have passed my "A couple buddies on Steam" test, but obviously we have similar interests and they might miss a problem since they are familiar with FE8.

Long story short, my intention was "Some basic Fire Emblem knowledge is required. FE8 experience is not, but it certainly helps."

- There are two versions of the test post, both are identical aside from one using a gif to show the countries, and the other sticks with a screenshot layout. I'm leaning toward the gif one, but I'll leave it up to you guys to say what works better.

Non-gif version
Gif version

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It looks good. I'd take the .gif one just because it takes up less space visually.

On a gameplay note, JESUS CHRIST, Seth has 15 Con. Why would anything ever need that much Con?

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Either one really but I prefer the non-gif. Text gifs are tricky, too slow and fast readers will skip right over them, too fast and slow readers will lose out. Screenshotting doesn't take up much room and keeps both sides happy.

:stare: Seth has +4 Con and Eirikia is stuck with 5.

TenaCrane fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 19, 2012

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
The Lamps Are Going Out All Over Europe: Let's Play The Last Express

Four months ago someone posted a test post for a subtitled video LP (and never, as far as I can tell, posted the actual thread). What I'm thinking of is a blind screenshot LP.

Intro
Part 0 - In which we begin playing the game but do not actually run the executable
Part 1 - In which we join the train and, four minutes later, lose the game

Let me know what you think.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Lex Talionis posted:

Four months ago someone posted a test post for a subtitled video LP (and never, as far as I can tell, posted the actual thread). What I'm thinking of is a blind screenshot LP.

Intro
Part 0 - In which we begin playing the game but do not actually run the executable

You know, I am not really sure what to say. On one hand there isn't too much wrong with this technically as such, but on the other I really don't feel this is the best approach for this game. I'm pretty sure the subtitle of this forum is (or was), "we play the games so you don't have to", so for me, doing the LP of this particular game would mean going in with good knowledge of what alternate paths etc. exist and trying to show off as many as possible in some interesting way (including also some that lead to a premature end, such as what you showed in the test post--this is another thing, do you really feel that this is the best way to start, by leading your readers on a wild goose chase and then saying "welp, next time we'll try this again, hopefully with better result?"). I just don't think the whole "I'm pretending to play this game blindly" is such a great idea.

Second, let's put the graphics/animation to the side, but I think that you really DO lose a lot without sound/voiced dialogue here. The makers of the game went to great length to get native speakers for most (if not all) of the roles and it's a really great thing to be able to hear all these different languages and different accents. (You also seem to recognise this, and even go so far to include notes in the two ladies' conversation about accents and languages!) Also, in game, only languages that Cath understands are subtitled, but even so the untranslated stuff is still actually correct and if you as a player understand the language you can get a bit more story flavour that way. In summary, I do feel that video with subtitles may be a better format for this game.

About the historical asides, even if you did this as video, I don't see why they could not be posted as additional textual material after it. However, if I were you I would probably try to illustrate them with an appropriate picture/photograph or two, in order to avoid having a big wall of uninterrupted text.

Finaly, and this is not really so important, if would be nice to include a paragraph or two about this game's financial failure caused more or less by the fact that its publisher (Brøderbund) was going through some kind of bankrupcy/corporate takeover at the time and weren't interested in spending money on marketing (don't know all the details but you could research it).

Well let's see what others think, but as I mentioned to the other guy, this IS one of my absolute favourite games and would like to see it presented well.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Lex Talionis posted:

Intro

ivantod posted:

You know, I am not really sure what to say. On one hand there isn't too much wrong with this technically as such, but on the other I really don't feel this is the best approach for this game. I'm pretty sure the subtitle of this forum is (or was), "we play the games so you don't have to", so for me, doing the LP of this particular game would mean going in with good knowledge of what alternate paths etc. exist and trying to show off as many as possible in some interesting way (including also some that lead to a premature end, such as what you showed in the test post--this is another thing, do you really feel that this is the best way to start, by leading your readers on a wild goose chase and then saying "welp, next time we'll try this again, hopefully with better result?"). I just don't think the whole "I'm pretending to play this game blindly" is such a great idea.

Second, let's put the graphics/animation to the side, but I think that you really DO lose a lot without sound/voiced dialogue here. The makers of the game went to great length to get native speakers for most (if not all) of the roles and it's a really great thing to be able to hear all these different languages and different accents. (You also seem to recognise this, and even go so far to include notes in the two ladies' conversation about accents and languages!) Also, in game, only languages that Cath understands are subtitled, but even so the untranslated stuff is still actually correct and if you as a player understand the language you can get a bit more story flavour that way. In summary, I do feel that video with subtitles may be a better format for this game.

About the historical asides, even if you did this as video, I don't see why they could not be posted as additional textual material after it. However, if I were you I would probably try to illustrate them with an appropriate picture/photograph or two, in order to avoid having a big wall of uninterrupted text.

Finaly, and this is not really so important, if would be nice to include a paragraph or two about this game's financial failure caused more or less by the fact that its publisher (Brøderbund) was going through some kind of bankrupcy/corporate takeover at the time and weren't interested in spending money or marketing (don't know all the details but you could research it).

Well let's see what others think, but as I mentioned to the other guy, this IS one of my absolute favourite games and would like to see it presented well.

My thoughts are basically what this guy said. Blind is bad if it adds nothing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Artix74 posted:

Ephraim and...Lyn? save the day in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

This sounds terrible... but in an amazing way. Your dialogue gets the point across just fine, the gif looks pretty good, and what the christ, I don't think the author of this really appreciates the nuances of the Fire Emblem Stat System.

I love that there has been enough Fire Emblem on the forums to make LP threads with prerequisites viable.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This kinda got buried by the PC_Snob stuff, unfortunately, so I'll just ask again to see if there's anything that needs fixing up or the like.

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, so take 2! Added a VN section update as well as gameplay, and expanded the gameplay update to include more stuff. It might be a bit too long as is, though, so I have the old version still for comparison and to use instead if the new one is too long or something.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh?

999 is mostly a visual novel, so it has lots and lots (and lots) of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

The game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary. That said, for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of everyone that isn't me.

Oh, and apparently there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.)

Prologue
D Deck 3rd class cabin (old version)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In your honest opinion, do RTS let's plays work better as screenshots? Or as Videos?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Turtlicious posted:

In your honest opinion, do RTS let's plays work better as screenshots? Or as Videos?

In my opinion? Heavily edited videos.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

djw175 posted:

In my opinion? Heavily edited videos.

Yeah, start off showing us your initial base/plans/whatever, then skip forward to whatever bits you deem interesting. Repeat.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dragonatrix posted:

This kinda got buried by the PC_Snob stuff, unfortunately, so I'll just ask again to see if there's anything that needs fixing up or the like.
I'd say this looks pretty good. The only thing I can find is that during your explanation of the digital root, I think you tried to put in a character that the forums can't understand:

quote:

EX: The [digital root] of (1234) would be... 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10 ? 1 + 0 = [1]
Looks like you tried to put in an arrow and it got changed to a question mark. I'd fix that and any other instances where something like that happens, and then I'd say you're good to go.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Lex Talionis posted:

Intro

This is probably one of the worst games to LP blind because there's so many optional scenes and alternate paths. Don't do it. Don't.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

As I'm working on SSLP of an RTS my vote goes for screenshot but I think both methods require a good knowledge of when to include/exclude things. Seeing 20 scout forces blow up when confronted with base defenses is boring but "here's my base" straight to "and now I've blown up their base" is also boring.

Do you have a test post yet? Maybe try a video and screenshot one and see which one works better?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'd say this looks pretty good. The only thing I can find is that during your explanation of the digital root, I think you tried to put in a character that the forums can't understand:

Looks like you tried to put in an arrow and it got changed to a question mark. I'd fix that and any other instances where something like that happens, and then I'd say you're good to go.

Is it possible that's a character encoding issue on your end? I know not having Unicode selected in my browser can sometimes give me crazy characters like that.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah, this is an issue on Dragonatrix' or LPix' end. I'm going to guess the editor he copy-pasted from a script dump or something into didn't support Unicode, or had the encoding set to ASCII.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, just checked the script dump I have and it's a "?" there too. That's probably my fault for not checking the encoding or something, since I wouldn't have thought to (never been relevant before insofar as I can tell).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Video, RTS are all about situational awareness and tracking processes / movements, and I don't believe screenshots can capture this dynamic.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
So here I am, back for more.

The New and Improved Supreme Commander LP

(I hope that tagline holds true)

For now I'm not messing too much with the screencap sizes because I'm not sure what's the ideal size here. For now, they're a size that fits my screen well.

So, is this my path to redemption, or am I just giving you more dirt for you to bury me with?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How big is your god drat monitor that those look good?

Are you projecting this on the side of a barn or something?

Also, separate your OP and the first update.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Much, much, much better.
The screenshots are still big, but I guess you can just put em into [timg] tags if you can't shrink them further. From my experience, people seem to prefer if your images don't go over 500 600 or so pixels. You gotta remember, not everybody uses HD monitors :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2012

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.

Xiahou Dun posted:

How big is your god drat monitor that those look good?

Are you projecting this on the side of a barn or something?

Also, separate your OP and the first update.

Hmmm, the larger ones occupy roughly 3/5 of my browser window.

I'll convert them to thumbnails.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The_PC_Snob posted:

So here I am, back for more.

The New and Improved Supreme Commander LP

(I hope that tagline holds true)

For now I'm not messing too much with the screencap sizes because I'm not sure what's the ideal size here. For now, they're a size that fits my screen well.

So, is this my path to redemption, or am I just giving you more dirt for you to bury me with?
This is a vast improvement. I don't have time to give you a complete rundown right now, but here's a few things you can fix up:

- Your update should be written with the assumption that the reader has never played Supreme Commander and knows nothing about it, but your readers will have played games before. You don't need to explain what an RTS is, we know. The rest of the history is good though.

- Your screenshots are too big. You should design them so that people who don't have a widescreen monitor will still be able to see the entire image. And before you say "but who uses a non-widescreen monitor these days," I'm at work and am using one right now.

- You don't need a separate update just for backstory unless it's really, really long. Yours isn't, so just merge it into the gameplay update.

Overall though, your actual coverage of the gameplay and explanations of mechanics are pretty good.

Fake edit:

The_PC_Snob posted:

Hmmm, the larger ones occupy roughly 3/5 of my browser window.

I'll convert them to thumbnails.
Don't do this. Nobody wants to read an SSLP where you have to click on every image to see the action. Either crop your images or rerecord in a smaller resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can you shrink your images using IrfanView? They might be okay if you pop em in there and convert them to a smaller size.

• Locked thread