Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This is the first Gaiman book I've read, and I now I understand why he is such a well-liked author. All of the mythology allusions mixed in with pop culture references hit a perfect note with me. It was an entertaining read, and I'll definitely be looking into some of his other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just finished Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. It was great, although I understand why he's a little strange.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I tore through No Easy Day by "Mark Owen" in about a day and a half. It was a decent military memoir, although it was clearly cashing in on being a recent event. One thing that stuck out with me was that despite being a "kill or capture" mission, they didn't even try to hide that they blew Bin Laden away as soon as they saw him, then ran up to his body and shot him until he stopped twitching. Owen says words to the effect of "kept shooting until he wasn't a threat" but then three paragraphs later says Bin Laden's weapons were across the room and not loaded..

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Finished Extras in the Uglies series. I liked it overall. Got to see what the old characters where doing.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Yoyage. This was a gigantic loving slog. Several hundred pages of "we're stranded and it's cold!" combined with spergtastic nautical descriptions made for a read as painful and prolonged as their ordeal. Fascinating heroism from Shackleton and a lovely novel from Lansing. By the time it picks up at the VERY end, I had already long since lost interest.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Yoyage. This was a gigantic loving slog. Several hundred pages of "we're stranded and it's cold!" combined with spergtastic nautical descriptions made for a read as painful and prolonged as their ordeal. Fascinating heroism from Shackleton and a lovely novel from Lansing. By the time it picks up at the VERY end, I had already long since lost interest.

Definitely DO NOT READ The Terror by Dan Simmons. It was basically this, but in a partially fictionalized form. Hundreds and hundreds of pages of "We're still stuck in the ice! It's so cold, and we're running out of supplies!" I can't believe I finished it. I can't imagine reading a non-fiction account of the trip, as Simmons at least spiced it up with some magical killer bear and eskimo nonsense.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg. 2.5 stars.

After reading this, all I can think is that Pegg really is a bit of a wanker. This book is mostly self-reflecting and waxing philosophical about childhood and connections and whatever else, with hardly any content about the genesis and making of his projects. All of his actual film & TV work is glanced over in the last 50 or so pages. And, it turns out that Pegg is most interesting when he's talking about other people's work (such as Star Wars, or George Romero's films).

The worst part of this book is the achingly tedious, fictional serial adventure that comes in chunks between memoir chapters. It stretches one joke out for about a fifth of the book's total content, and it's not funny. Not in the slightest.

Despite all this, I watched Shaun of the Dead again when I was nearly finished the book, and I found that my enjoyment of his work hasn't been diminished at all. So thank god for that. He still does funny work, but I get the feeling that the Simon Pegg behind that work just takes the humour business far too seriously.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I am 15 pages from the end of Felix Gilman's The Half-Made World, and I have enjoyed every moment of it. This might smack of blasphemy to some, but it reminded me a little of Deadwood and Blood Meridian in that "Order vs. Chaos in the inexorable march of civilization pushing ever farther West in American History" sense. Plus demons and a little steampunk. The steampunk bit put me off reading it for a while, but it's been very gripping -- I've read it in 3 days. The world Gilman created was so interesting I wish he had spent a little more on the exposition, especially regarding the "made" part of the world and the history of the Engines, but that's my only complaint.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gohmak posted:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

gohmak posted:

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Gohmak delivers a second stunning, trenchant review! We are all eagerly anticipating the third!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Gohmak delivers a second stunning, trenchant review! We are all eagerly anticipating the third!

I reported the first post the first time, but nothing came out of it. :shrug:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

IUG posted:

I reported the first post the first time, but nothing came out of it. :shrug:

I thought the thread was called "what did you just finish," not "review what you just finished". I see no thread rules in the OP.

Thesaurus posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Dan Simmons Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. The characters where very unique and had interesting stories. I liked how the second book tied the stories together for a climactic conclusion. For "soft" science fiction, Dan Simmons does a great job explaining and rationalizing the technologies used in the series and ties them into the plot without becoming a cheap device. I'd rank it up there with Asimov's Foundation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

gohmak posted:

I thought the thread was called "what did you just finish," not "review what you just finished". I see no thread rules in the OP.

I didn't know it wasn't in the OP, and now that you mention it, the last person hit for it was back in September:

Tailored Sauce posted:

Finished The Fountains of Paradise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PROBATION
09/03/12 07:06pm
Tailored Sauce
This is not PYF.
User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
LooseChanj angerbot

Maybe they don't care anymore.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Awkward Davies posted:

Stephenson does have a bad habit of going on somewhat rambly tangents (the book doesn't clock in at almost 1000 pages for nothing) but they're usually pretty enjoyable.

Hell, I think the digressions are the best part of any Stephenson book. And the other parts are usually quite good as well.

Me, I just finished Rajaniemi's The Fractal Prince, about which I can only say that it was awesome but not a particularly easy read. Author does not believe in excessive infodumps and plays with his cards held pretty close. I've seen people complain about viewpoint confusion but if ever there was a book where this must be considered intentional and thematically relevant....

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I just finished Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw.

I felt that this was a pretty terrible, pointless book. I enjoyed MogWorld to some degree, but with this book there was nobody to root for. He made his protagonist a 20-something slacker with no personality or desire, his other characters were petulant and grating at best, and he had characters literally named "Princess Ravenhair", "Lord Awesomo", "X", and "Y". Try reading that for 400 pages. It would have been a lot more interesting with one, dynamic, interesting character with a clear goal making discoveries and meeting characters over the course of the whole book, but I knew about all of these characters by page 50 and hated them every step of the way.

I almost feel like this book was a trick played by Yahtzee to see how absurd he could go before killing his fiction career.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just finished This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz. I normally don't care for short story collections, because of the fact that they normally don't have anything in common. However in this collection, all the stories had one thing in common and it is the narrator loses multiple girlfriends in each story. Over all I enjoyed every single story in the collection.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 22, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

screenwritersblues posted:

Just finished This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz.

Fix your spoiler tag, dude

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Fix your spoiler tag, dude

Thanks... add one s by accident and it messes every thing up.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I just finished "Emil and his clever pig" by Astrid Lindgren (author of the Pippi Longstocking books) I'll be reading it again to my daughter in the new year, such a great, funny, weird little book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finding out about the C.J. Cherry thread put me on a bit of a CJC kick, but I haven't really been reporting on it.

Hestia - a first contact story. Despite that, not one of her stronger books, I think. It's not bad, but it suffers badly by comparison with the Faded Sun or Chanur books.

Voyager in Night - this is the closest I've ever seen Cherryh get to horror. I've noticed before that she is very good at evoking terror and confusion, and she uses this to full effect here, especially in the climax - which leaves you with the feeling that you've just witnessed(?experienced) something that the human mind isn't really well-equipped to comprehend. I think she could actually do very well writing horror with a Lovecraftian bent, but it doesn't seem to be a genre that interests her.

Sunfall - a short story collection. This is the edition included in Collected Short Fiction and thus contains a new, seventh story, Masks (Venice). I liked all of the stories except Ice, and they were an interesting assortment of the political and the mystical, but in general I feel that short stories aren't really where Cherryh shines, and this didn't really change my opinion.

Visible Light - another short story collection (also part of Collected Short Fiction). Where Sunfall was written around the common theme of the cities of a dying Earth, Visible Light is more eclectic (the common theme, such as it is, is the frame story of Cherryh - or rather, a future version of her - and the reader both taking passage from Earth on the same ship, and sharing stories). One of these, The Last Tower, I loved, and I liked Cassandra and Companions. Threads of Time I also enjoyed, but I'm not sure I would have as much if I weren't also on a time travel kick at the moment, and it does rather feel like it should be part of a larger work (unsurprising, as it was originally written as part of one of the Morgaine books). The last two stories - A Thief in Korianth and The Brothers - didn't appeal.

The Collected Short Fiction of C.J. Cherryh - ok, this is a book that contains the previous two, but I'm listing it separately because it also contains fifteen stories not in either of those. One (Scapegoat) I'd read before, but the others were new to me. Like Visible Light, these were a mixed bag for me - and a mixed bag in general, ranging from another retelling of Greek myth (The Dark King - the first being Cassandra) to an Alliance/Union ghost story. By far my favourite story of the entire collection, however, is Pots, about an archaeological dig on long-dead Earth, by a people who found Voyager millions of years from now and built a religion around it.

Overall, I'd have to say that none of these are Cherryh at the top of her game, but Voyager in Night is definitely worth a read if you want something completely different, and Collected Short Fiction covers such a breadth of stories and subject matter that there's bound to be at least a few stories in there that you really like.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2012

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just read the Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey, and it was really, really good. I believe it's only available as an ebook right now (in the states) You can get it as a real book, not just an ebook! Forget "for a self published book it's good", Wool is just plain good. After the first section I was wondering if I was going to like it or not (its pretty bleak), but I kept going and the narrative got its hooks into me quickly. I recommend it! The first novella, Wool, is available as a free ebook and stands alone really well, but just get the omnibus because you have to turn that page to keep going and dig down into the meat of the story.

I was very impressed by it, and I believe he's just about to bring out the third book/novella of another series set in the same universe which I will have to scoop up after he collects all three in one volume like he did for Wool.

Edit: thanks for the info :) vvvvv

Edit2: it's a real paper book!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 23, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

hollylolly posted:

I just read the Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey, and it was really, really good. I believe it's only available as an ebook right now.

The omnibus is a paperback in the UK and commonwealth territories.

ukiyo e
Sep 12, 2012

Wait... what?

Awkward Davies posted:

I just finished Cryptonomicon, which was so loving good.

Granted, the book felt almost engineered to appeal to a 20 something tech interested male, what with the codes, the WWII badassedery, the modern day UNIX nerding out, the myriad of locations, International business intrigue, etc etc.

Stephenson does have a bad habit of going on somewhat rambly tangents (the book doesn't clock in at almost 1000 pages for nothing) but they're usually pretty enjoyable.

Highly recommended.

When recommending Stephenson I always warn people about his tangents by citing the 3 pages in this book in which he explains the proper way to eat cereal.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I just finished Caliban's War.

Meh. I know a lot of people really liked it and are eagerly awaiting the third book, but meh. This one seemed to drag after the first couple of chapters and didn't pick up again until close to the end.

Really specific things I disliked:

Uneven pacing.

I have no problem with changing viewpoints, but there were sections that it seemed they spent too much time on and sections where they just blipped by. There also seemed to be a lot of extraneous stuff, like maybe the authors had intended to do something with it but ended up losing it.

For example, it was remarked several times that Prax wanted to call Naomi "Cassandra" because she looked like an intern he used to work with, but then nothing happened with it. At first I wondered if Naomi had come to the crew under an assumed name and I wondered why, but the whole thread seemed to be dropped.

While overall I liked Bobbi (Gunner), there were several instances where her character seemed more like a man with boobs. Anybody who has ever played a role-playing game where one of the guys played a female character knows what I'm talking about -- these pseudo females think and act in a way that would be unremarkable in a man but is completely out of character for a woman.

My final gripe was at the end when Holden was on the King with Larson. First, he unilaterally shoots Nguyen. Now, we just spend the ENTIRE drat book with him angsting about how he had changed and how the old Holden would NEVER have committed cold blooded murder and that Naomi had LEFT HIM over this change, and then he shoots Nguyen without warning... and Naomi basically says "that's okay, honey, he was a bad guy and I know you'll regret cold-bloodedly murdering him later..." which negates everything that went before.

And then Larsen? I went back to the description to see if he was wearing a red shirt, because how CONVENIENT that instead of Holden having to stick around to see to it that the ship blows up, Larsen got a tiny tear in his environmental suit and is about to turn into a vomit-zombie...

I am sure that plenty of people will disagree with me, and admittedly, this had a lot more Space Marine Pew Pew Pew and that's not a favored genre, but PuhLease... the things I mentioned kept making my mind wander when I wanted to be absorbed in the story.

Thus, meh. Certainly I don't regret buying it, and no doubt I'll buy the third when it comes out, but it is no longer a must-have on my list.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ukiyo e posted:

When recommending Stephenson I always warn people about his tangents by citing the 3 pages in this book in which he explains the proper way to eat cereal.

Best three pages in the book if you ask me.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Hedrigall posted:

The omnibus is a paperback in the UK and commonwealth territories.

I found an omnibus edition at my local library, actually, and I'm in the Atlanta suburbs.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Chamberk posted:

I found an omnibus edition at my local library, actually, and I'm in the Atlanta suburbs.

Well, that's awesome. I knew it was published as an ebook originally I wasn't aware it had gotten all the way to real book status.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
The Memory of Blood: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery by Christopher Fowler.

I had just finished reading a few Agatha Christie novels and was on the mood for a mystery, and saw this on the library recent release shelf.

It's the 9th book in a crime mystery series but reading the previous books was not necessary to follow along. It was enjoyable, an easy read. The two main detectives are a quirky older duo and they have a team of minor characters who help solve a murder mystery. I didn't find myself trying to solve the mystery, just going with the flow. I'd give it a 4 outta 5 as something relatively mindless to read before bed.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I just finished Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. I absolutely loved this book. Anderson seemed to take all existential human nature and weave it through the lives of one insignificant town. I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was because it was impossible to find any character with whom I did not share at least one minor idiosyncrasy. I felt as if so many of my hopes and fears were like that of George Willard, so that ultimately I was incredibly moved by the final few chapters. For a relatively short book I felt as if it had magnificent scope and I can certainly picture myself rereading it throughout my life. This is easily one of the greatest novels I've ever read.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I just finished Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. The Tarkovsky film is undoubtedly my favorite film of all time, and I've played two of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and enjoyed them quite a bit, so this was next on the list. I have to say, I really loved it. It was definitely a lot different than science fiction I've read in the past, but in a good way. The setting and background of the novel is just fantastic, and I think even if you can't dig the rest of the novel you can at least appreciate that much. The plot went just fast enough for my tastes to keep me entertained and anxiously awaiting what would happen next, but it also left a lot of room for complex themes and commentary. It's an intense and grim piece of literature, probably one of the most honest novels I've ever read in how it handles human motivation and actions.

ukiyo e
Sep 12, 2012

Wait... what?
I just finished Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. This book was just as compelling as The Sparrow. It's one of the few books that handles jumping around time and space in a way that I could follow without getting frustrated. I would definitely recommend the series.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

ukiyo e posted:

I just finished Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. This book was just as compelling as The Sparrow. It's one of the few books that handles jumping around time and space in a way that I could follow without getting frustrated. I would definitely recommend the series.

Is it a sci fi story? I'm wondering if you meant jumping around time and space in a sci fi Doctor Who kind of way, or telling a story in non linear fashion.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

AlternatePFG posted:

Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This is the first Gaiman book I've read, and I now I understand why he is such a well-liked author. All of the mythology allusions mixed in with pop culture references hit a perfect note with me. It was an entertaining read, and I'll definitely be looking into some of his other stuff.

Great book. Try Neverwhere; another great book by him.

ToxicFrog posted:

Finding out about the C.J. Cherry thread put me on a bit of a CJC kick, but I haven't really been reporting on it.

If you like her work, try the Faded Sun trilogy. Aside from being an awesome SciFi read, it gave me some things to think about with regards to humanity and our strengths as a species. The dichotomy between the non-human races provides some distinct food for thought.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 25, 2012

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Just finished the first two books of the Kingkiller chronicles. Very, very awesome series. While nothing extremely deep or mind-pushing, it was a very engrossing read. Perfect for deployment.

Can't wait for the third book!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Sacrilage posted:

Great book. Try Neverwhere; another great book by him.

I second Neverwhere, it's my favorite Gaiman. Then you can watch the BBC special too!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sacrilage posted:

If you like her work, try the Faded Sun trilogy. Aside from being an awesome SciFi read, it gave me some things to think about with regards to humanity and our strengths as a species. The dichotomy between the non-human races provides some distinct food for thought.

I did mention the Faded Sun books in my post. :) CJC is probably my favourite SF author, I haven't read everything by her but I've read most of it.

Sacrilage posted:

Just finished the first two books of the Kingkiller chronicles. Very, very awesome series. While nothing extremely deep or mind-pushing, it was a very engrossing read. Perfect for deployment.

I'm holding off on the second one for now, because after reading the first one I was seriously jonesing for more and at this point I'd rather just wait for the third book and read the whole trilogy in one go.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Finally finished the House of Leaves. I enjoyed the main story, but Johnny Truants seemed to drag at the end. I also really enjoyed the way the text was moved all around, really helped the feeling that you were there in the house with the people exploring it.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

frenchnewwave posted:

I second Neverwhere, it's my favorite Gaiman. Then you can watch the BBC special too!

BBC special? I never realized they had one, thanks. I'll go check it out.

Also, another I finished last month was In Her Name. The first half of the trilogy is a very good "child growing up amongst aliens" story. The rest wasn't too shabby either, so definitely worth a read.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Yes if memory serves me, I believe Neverwhere was a TV series first, and then adapted into a novel. It's low budget of course but I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just finished Red and Me by Bill Russell. I'm a big basketball guy, so I had high hopes for a memoir about Russell's experiences with Red Auerbach: they were one of the best players and coaches in NBA history. But in that sense, it's disappointing: it's more of Russell explaining why their friendship worked and reads occasionally like a textbook on how to be a good friend.

I'm still glad I read it, though. There's a few parts about Red's coaching style which I found interesting (he was very hands-off and knew how to adapt to each player) and it does offer a small glimpse inside those 1960's Celtics teams.