Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Had a platoon leader with full sleeves and his legs and back covered with tattoos. This was a few years ago so not sure if that'd still fly now for army officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DAS Super! posted:

Not to get a lawyery but as I understand it a deferred adjudication there is no formal conviction and the case is dismissed. Does that make a difference? Like is the disqualifier just a drug charge as in you were order to appear and face charges? Or is it a charge and conviction?

/end law chat

It's been a few years but as I understand it, a deferred adjudication means the charges are "dismissed without prejudice" which means the court can bring the charges back up. If at the end of the deferred period, you go back to court and have the charges "dismissed with prejudice" then there is.no way the case can be reopened and you might have a chance if you talk with a recruiter.

Oftentimes the military looks at any type of alternate settlement the same as a conviction though so you'd really have to talk to a recruiter.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Posting from phone. Apologies for the double post.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 12, 2012

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

DAS Super! posted:

Not to get a lawyery but as I understand it a deferred adjudication there is no formal conviction and the case is dismissed. Does that make a difference? Like is the disqualifier just a drug charge as in you were order to appear and face charges? Or is it a charge and conviction?

/end law chat

I was not convicted, had my charges dropped to a misdemeanor, completed probation and got expungement blah blah blah. Only the FBI and the military can see my records. The military is basically the only job in the world I can't hold, save for other government jobs in which clearances are required.

Your friend is hosed unless China invades.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

:hfive:

in a serious turn of events if any newbies want to ask questions about comm related fields ask me because i've done almost everything

during both his years in the usaf

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shimazu posted:

during both his years in the usaf

thankx for the update friend you know me so well

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

thankx for the update friend you know me so well

the difference between saying "If it's about comm related fields ask me because i've done almost everything" and "I have been in the USAF for 2 year including training time, ask me about comm related fields" is pretty big

no shame in saying the latter either.. i bet guys looking to join would really appreciate perspectives from people that are fresh from training and not far removed from basic, etc.

not trying to TIS shame you.. because the only shame in TIS is the shame that comes the higher the number goes

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i understand but i worked for a contractor for 3 years before i even joined, so i've literally done everything

i was stuck with a lovely economy so i joined a job i already knew and skated thru training

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

It's been a few years but as I understand it, a deferred adjudication means the charges are "dismissed without prejudice" which means the court can bring the charges back up. If at the end of the deferred period, you go back to court and have the charges "dismissed with prejudice" then there is.no way the case can be reopened and you might have a chance if you talk with a recruiter.

Oftentimes the military looks at any type of alternate settlement the same as a conviction though so you'd really have to talk to a recruiter.

I think USMC might still be able to do minor pot charges.

Anyhow, as far as the Army looks at it now, if you had diversion, probation, or anything, it's as good as guilty. Reduced charges later don't matter if there were any kind of fines or anything associated with it. We look at the original charge, not whatever deal was worked out with a plea bargain or anything.

If it was dismissed as in, whoops we totally arrested the wrong dude, and the court records show that, then fine.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Sexy Flanders posted:

I graduated college a year ago and have been considering the army or navy. My only hesitation is I have full sleeve tattoos. Absolutely nothing objectionable/hateful and nothing that can be seen when I'm in a long sleeve shirt. So is this a non-starter with the army or navy? I've tried searching online but most of the info seems to be outdated. Any help would be appreciated.

Based on your description you can join the Army.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I just wanted to do an update on my situation.

Back in November I received a letter saying that I had a PQD (eye related), and that I needed a medical waiver to be able to enter the Navy. Around the time I got the letter, my file was up for review to see if I qualified for OCS.

Well, a month later, I finally have my answer. My recruiter called me this morning congratulating me on being accepted into OCS. I have my first PT next week, but I'm still working out the date since my recruiter is only down at the base near me a few times a week, and I don't know if he wants to do it there, or in Denver.

Any suggestions for PT? I've been working out since I finished college back in April, and am in decent shape right now. I ran a 5k a few weeks back, and I do 60+ push-ups per work out (more often sets of 25 or 30) and about 180 sit-ups per session as well. I'm a woman, so I don't need to do as many as a guy, but any tips would be appreciated.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I dunno what the Navy does for PT but if you're a woman doing 30 pushups a set you're going to have absolutely zero problems with upper body strength. In fact you're probably going to get max points on anything involving pushups.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As long as you show effort then you'll be fine. Organized PT is more to see who really wants to be there than to test physical fitness. Your PT will improve when you're at the school itself.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm going to guess that you're going to be in better shape than the majority of the people there, including the men.

You should be fine.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Valley Stared posted:

I do 60+ push-ups per work out (more often sets of 25 or 30) and

about 180 sit-ups per session as well.

You will be absolutely fine. I figured you were at least 20-

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

15:30 minute run minimum :psyduck:

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, kombatMedik, I'm 23. I'm just glad to know that I've been doing something right over the past few months!

The only thing I'm a little concerned with is my running time. It's not that I can't do the distance--when I run outside the loop I do is 2.25 miles--it's just increasing my speed. I have a treadmill, so I just need to keep running at 7+ mph and keep increasing my distance.

I should be fine when I go to Rhode Island since that's at sea level and I live almost at 7000 ft.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I should be fine when I go to Rhode Island since that's at sea level and I live almost at 7000 ft.

It's still a big adjustment though. Even with that though, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't get hurt.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey can any of you Nasty guard dudes help me help a bro out. I have a buddy who seems hellbent on doing the military in some capacity, and right now he is focused on the guard. He seems to think that he will be able to get SLRP and the SELRES version of the GI Bill. Now my question is will he actually get both on a single six year commitment? My knowledge of the GI Bill is limited only to how it applies to me, but I remember when I was AD dudes with SLRP were having to do an extra 36 months to get GI Bill benefits.

edit: National Guard not Reserves

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 19, 2012

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

We need a stickied thread titled "If you got caught with drugs or took anti-depressants you can't join the military. ;-("

Is that necessarily always true? I put in my application to join the Navy, and from what I'd read online, people seemed to say that as long as it's been at least a year since you'd been prescribed them, and you don't seem like a crazy person to the MEPS psychiatrist, that it wasn't very difficult to get a waiver.

It's been like 7 years since I was on them, and it was for anxiety, with no other mental health disorders.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BUSH 2112 posted:

Is that necessarily always true? I put in my application to join the Navy, and from what I'd read online, people seemed to say that as long as it's been at least a year since you'd been prescribed them, and you don't seem like a crazy person to the MEPS psychiatrist, that it wasn't very difficult to get a waiver.

It's been like 7 years since I was on them, and it was for anxiety, with no other mental health disorders.

I have never seen or heard of anyone who ever got a waiver to enter the military after having admitted to taking anti-depressants. Doesn't mean that it's never happened, but if I couldn't find a way to run a waiver when the Marine Corps was expanding and our quotas were the highest they've ever been, I can't imagine that now that everyone is downsizing there would be any reason they'd be granting waivers.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

BUSH 2112 posted:

I can pretty much tell you it's a death sentence nowadays. The military is cutting down and that means finding everything they can to ensure they just get 100% golden children. Also with the suicide rate still rising they REALLY don't want to let anyone in who has any history of mental health issues.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Of course a high suicide rate could indicate that they're just letting people in who don't seek treatment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

BUSH 2112 posted:

I got a waiver, got an OCS contract and got a commission. Its not impossible, but this was 2008 it might be different now. Got diagnosed as a teenager with depression and was on zoloft for a year. It had been over 5 years and the MEPS doc cleared me.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

I have never seen or heard of anyone who ever got a waiver to enter the military after having admitted to taking anti-depressants. Doesn't mean that it's never happened, but if I couldn't find a way to run a waiver when the Marine Corps was expanding and our quotas were the highest they've ever been, I can't imagine that now that everyone is downsizing there would be any reason they'd be granting waivers.

This. Yeah technically there are supposed to be exceptions, and if someone does admit it on the floor, our doc will send them to a psyche consult, then usually DQ them after that.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Ugh, that sucks. Thanks for the info, though. I'm still gonna go through with it as far as I can. It just really pisses me off because I didn't want the drat pills in the first place.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BUSH 2112 posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Thanks for the info, though. I'm still gonna go through with it as far as I can. It just really pisses me off because I didn't want the drat pills in the first place.

If that fails try the ARNG or other reserve components. They might be more forthcoming with waivers.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Just coming in here to say a bit.

I'm 26, live in Brooklyn, NY, have an Associate in Recording Arts, work as an EMT. Have been trying to become a NYC Firefighter for the last 3 years, and am finding out now that it won't happen due to a low test score (got a 94 which puts me 15,595th in line). I don't like living here anymore, don't like working as an EMT (it was just to become a FF), I have a crazy amount of student loan debt that isn't being paid, already figured out earlier in life that recording music is more of a hobby and not a career, don't have any sort of direction or goals for the first time in my life.

The military was always something I considered (Dad was in the AF when I was younger) but I always felt like I had something else going on worth pursuing. Well I don't now and there's nothing keeping me here. I was always leaning towards the Marines but I have full tattoo sleeves, tattoos on my legs, and one on my hand, so I was turned away from that. I have been dealing with my Army recruiters for the last few weeks. I took the ASVAB and got an 81% with a GT score of 120. I knew I wanted to do something combat related but when I sat down to reserve a job yesterday there were 13 jobs available. The only combat jobs were 18X, 13F, and 13D. I know better than to pick 18X right off the bat and the other two I wasn't very interested in. I ended up pushing for 11X which I got, but unfortunately there were no slots for Airborne or Option 40.

My goals are to get in as 11X(hopefully B), learn the basics and get good at them, push for Airborne, get physically fit (I'm not bad now but I want to get better), clear up my debt to qualify for secret clearance, then shoot for SF. I'm not delusional and know it's tough, but I've been there physically in the past, and I'm there mentally. At the end of my 4 years if I hate it I can get out, or try to change jobs however difficult that may be, and hopefully at a decent rank.

I take my physical and sign my contract on Friday. I plan to ask about an Airborne slot again at that time. If I go through with it, I ship out for BT at Ft. Benning on March, 18, 2013. I've done the research, talked to Army friends who are in/recently out, feel like I know what I'm getting myself into but won't know how I'll react to it all until I'm in. I will say that I feel ready for the lifestyle change. Thoughts? Advice

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

There is an actual Fire Fighting rate in the navy, if that is your thing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Don't sign until you get what you want. I dunno how hard it is to get an airborne slot as active duty infantry right now but maybe HCT can shed some light on that. But if that's absolutely what you want, go for it. For what it's worth 13F is supposed to be pretty good among the combat arms MOSes but that's just anecdotal on my part.

It's your life.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
There's a firefighter MOS in the Army as well but it wasn't available and from what I hear it's pretty rare. 11X is what I wanted, but I was hoping for the Airborne slot. My only hope is they have one on Friday, or it's easy to get come the end of BT because of my MOS.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
Last I checked Bragg was dying to recruit more airborne Soldiers. So much so they'd send little dog and pony shows to other major posts to try and get people to get qualified. Since you already want to be combat arms and aren't being too picky, I think the recruiters are just putting minimal effort into getting you what you want and just have you a lock for 11x (which could potentially make you a mortars guy, just so you know). I would hold out for a specific 11b contract WITH airborne. Even option 40 isn't THAT hard to get. It may depend on your current physical ability. If you don't look impressive now maybe they're writing you off. Hard to say cause I don't know you.

Maybe it just the time of year, and they're not lying when they say they're full up on this stuff, but these projections change daily, so I would sooner wait a couple months because they will open up eventually. One thing though, Airborne is commonly offered at the end of basic training to guys with best pt scores or some other rubric of their choosing so there's always that. I think we even had one shot at ranger go out. Still, if you wait to then you're totally at the whims of the Army.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
So if I'm not getting the results/options I want out of my recruiters, what's left for me to do short of saying I won't enlist? Negotiating at MEPS?

Also, when enlisting as 11X, when is the B/C designation made?

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Ohms posted:

So if I'm not getting the results/options I want out of my recruiters, what's left for me to do short of saying I won't enlist? Negotiating at MEPS?

Also, when enlisting as 11X, when is the B/C designation made?

Just tell them you want to wait until more options open up. They might try to scare you and tell you they will never open up, so you can either trust them or potentially wait a long time. If you're really OK with what they're offering its not a big deal, but you want to be sure, because once you have your freedom ripped away from you, you're gonna wish you did everything you could with it when you had it. There's no negotiating at MEPS.

Honestly, the Army is never what anyone thinks its going to be. So its best you're totally comfortable with your choices leading up to joining, otherwise you might seethe with resentment for 4 years. I would say maybe try 13F since its not a terrible MOS for trying to go SF, but I'm wary that if you went with it, and later got to the Army and didn't like it you would blame 13F, when I imagine you'll feel that way to some extent regardless of MOS. That's why its important you get exactly what you want.

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 20, 2012

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
I think my desire to get Airborne and a possible Option 40 in my contract is less than my desire to leave soon.

Here's a question for those of you who hated being in the military. Before you enlisted did you have an idea that you wouldn't enjoy it or were you feeling as if you were prepared and looking forward to it? Was it unenjoyable because you ended up doing something different than what you had in mind?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ohms posted:

I think my desire to get Airborne and a possible Option 40 in my contract is less than my desire to leave soon.

Here's a question for those of you who hated being in the military. Before you enlisted did you have an idea that you wouldn't enjoy it or were you feeling as if you were prepared and looking forward to it? Was it unenjoyable because you ended up doing something different than what you had in mind?

I didn't hate my time in the army, if I could go back I'd do it again. But especially as someone a little older you'll see the job definitely has some major flaws. A lot of dumb things are done just because, your superiors aren't necessarily smarter or even more experienced than you, the lifestyle can be lovely, and there's a good chance you will be vastly over-worked while your peers skate by never doing poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

your superiors aren't necessarily smarter or even more experienced than you

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, that's a wild understatement.

With a GT of 120 you'll almost definitely have the top score in basic, and top 3 in your company. You will see such a base level of stupidity that you really won't believe it. For example, you got an 81 on your ASVAB. As late as 2011, they were still doing waivers for dudes who didn't score a 35.

You will see poo poo so dumb it will hurt your brain, you will be living with a bunch of racists, people who think that Ancient Aliens and Jesse Ventura are the word of God, and basically a bunch of people who signed up to shoot Muslims and brown people.

Then you will find out that people who's sole redeeming quality is that they have not been kicked out in a given amount of time will be in charge of you. They will check your room every morning to make sure... of something. You will constantly be called back to work and be punished because someone did something wrong and/or dumb, simply because no one has the brain to figure out a way to keep a bunch of 18 year olds from smoking spice, drinking underage out in public, storing their own feces in their closet, or whatever dumb poo poo people do these days.

Conversations in the office or in the motor pool or out in the field won't last 45 seconds without someone bringing up how Obama is a secret Kenyan Muslim, Democrats and Liberals are idiots without any redeeming qualities, and Republicans deserve to be in power because Jesus will lead the way.

This rant isn't to discourage you from joining up, just give you a heads up on what poo poo can be like in the Army, especially around infantry.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
For some reason I've only seen option 40 lately for 92g of all MOS's. 11x ones either dont exist, or if they do they get snatched up pretty quick. You can insist but you risk waiting an indefinite amount of time. And honestly they aren't going to look every day because they're probably dealing with other Applicants. They can try calling the ROC and see if anything comes up, outside of that its just up to prayer or something.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Ohms posted:

A lot of resentment from any part of the military comes from the self inflicted pain that comes from being enlisted. You will be treated like a teenager for at least a year, and probably a lot longer than that. Don't rush it, I am always confused as to why people NEED to speed through the process to reach an end goal that will:

A. Change your life forever.
B. A minimum of FOUR years of your life, and these will be four LONG years. I have visibly aged from this bullshit.
C. Be a complete 360 on their lifestyle.

You have no idea, and will have no idea what you are signing up to do until you are doing it. Being in the military is not something that is easily explained by language. So let me run you through my average day to day week.

1500-I wake up, shower, grab something to eat and head to work. I am usually drinking coffee on my way.

1545-I show up to work early. I start checking tools, reading my workload, getting a pass down, and signing turnover paperwork.

1610-Get talked to by my chief for 20 minutes about something really stupid that could be conveyed through a post it note.

1630-Maintenance meeting. I spend about 10 or 15 minutes doing real actual planning and setting up the night.

1645-I give the pass down, set the plan, and start issuing orders to get poo poo done, but before that happens my chief tells everyone what he already told me in that early 20 minutes to everyone, thus wasting an effective 40 minutes of my loving life.

1710- We finally start doing work. Generally speaking we do not come back to sit down or eat for at least 5 or 6 hours.

2300- I cram some poo poo I made before work into my mouth and drain either a 5 hour energy shot, or a monster if they are out of coffee (they are, always).

2310- I am back out fixing airplanes. During this half of my shift I am usually being called back into MX control to answer a whole bunch of stupid loving questions.

~0540-0600- We come back to the shop, eat a snack and start doing all the paperwork on stuff that was done on shift. I am going through my note pad and making inpros, signing off documents, performing training, and generally being talked to by control, who only work 8 hour days. They want to know why X wasn’t done or something and I have to tell them, every day that X can’t be completed with the amount of people I have. I then get called an idiot, or worthless, or something stupid.

0700- daycheck does their mx meeting and come in and does pass down. Chief isn't in yet because of his anchor. I honestly do not care at this point. I now have to go back to paperwork because I still have a poo poo ton to do.

0900-0930- I go home. I get home around this time and make tomorrows meals, do laundry, or chores, or pay bills. Stuff like that.

1100-1130- I finally go to bed.

Keep in mind I do this from Sunday night to Saturday morning. I have NO LIFE outside these forums and the one or two hours I play videogames or get drunk on the occasional weekend/day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Secret Spoon posted:

C. Be a complete 360 on their lifestyle.

Dont you mean 180

:goonsay:

I seriously couldn't help it :(

• Locked thread