Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyshall posted:

what about no bark

Please please please. No Bark Noonan is one of the only people in Primm I don't habitually murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Please please please. No Bark Noonan is one of the only people in Primm I don't habitually murder.

That's especially surprising considering he lives in Novac.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's why he doesn't get habitually murdered! He's out of OneThousandMonkeys' jurisdiction.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ahaha jesus that helmet with a party hat, I'm dying.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

fentan posted:

I just learned there is apparently already a Yes Man companion mod. No idea how good it is but I'll probably try it on the same playthrough as Ulysses. :allears:

e: This image makes me happy:

Let us know what you think of that mod, if you end up using it. I feel like that mod and the Ulysses Companion mod might help even out the "Companions" section of the OP.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let us know what you think of that mod, if you end up using it. I feel like that mod and the Ulysses Companion mod might help even out the "Companions" section of the OP.

Post holiday season I'll take a crack at it. I've been meaning to revamp my mod collection but I'm probably going to wait for a SSD to actually motivate myself to do it.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

quote:

no bark
You could recruit No-Bark, but he wouldn't actually fight in combat. He would instead scream about how clouds are part of an alien conspiracy while he cowered behind the nearest rock. If he ever used a weapon, it would be by accident. His special companion perk would let you know which people in the Mojave are really aliens in disguise. It would work only once, at the battle of Hoover Dam, where it would turn out Lanius was an alien behind the mask the whole time. And then, at the climax of the entire game, No-Bark Noonan would finally be vindicated.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is perfectly acceptable.

In related news, STALKER blue-screened earlier today in a fashion that caused windows to commit honorable seppuku. Since I don't have a recovery CD (because I'm a loving idiot), it looks like I might be playing FNV with a new mod suite sooner rather than later. (Ditto Skyrim and basically everything else).

Hopefully this go round I'll be able to cut down on the number of mods I'm using, so I'm asking for any recommendations/testimonials on basically anything. I've tried most things in the OP at one point or another I think but hopefully someone can point me to some good armor/guns packs that I haven't tried yet.

Probably going to be using

NMC's Large Texture pack
Some/all of Ojo Beuno
Nevada Skies (not sure if UWRL/other version)
Director's Chair/suite
Project Nevada
Basically all of Gopher's mods because he makes the best things
CCO and JSawyer
WMX.
WRT + Aeronvalis' other spectacularly pretty guns (PS make a FAL)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The best companion mod I've seen is Wendy Gilbert (the NCR hostage from Boulder City). Good hotkeys and menus, understands nonstandard ammo and weapons, gains skills from doing things or mags, and comes with a decent player home with crap autosorting too (e.g. a workbench that takes your items and the NPCs, lets you make stuff, and easily dump it to a box once you're done). If your character sucks at lockpick or hacking, and you don't have Project Nevada explosive entry, you could make Gilbert do lockpicking for you instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chronojam posted:

The best companion mod I've seen is Wendy Gilbert (the NCR hostage from Boulder City). Good hotkeys and menus, understands nonstandard ammo and weapons, gains skills from doing things or mags, and comes with a decent player home with crap autosorting too (e.g. a workbench that takes your items and the NPCs, lets you make stuff, and easily dump it to a box once you're done). If your character sucks at lockpick or hacking, and you don't have Project Nevada explosive entry, you could make Gilbert do lockpicking for you instead.

This is literally the first time I've heard of this companion. Interesting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is literally the first time I've heard of this companion. Interesting.

It's fully featured with none of the usual "Nexus :rolleyes:" baggage or feature creep. Last time I started a game the recruit quest didn't trigger, but somebody made an alternate start with Deputy Beagle in Primm so I used that and it went OK (I had bypassed Primm).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

SpookyLizard posted:

This is perfectly acceptable.

In related news, STALKER blue-screened earlier today in a fashion that caused windows to commit honorable seppuku. Since I don't have a recovery CD (because I'm a loving idiot), it looks like I might be playing FNV with a new mod suite sooner rather than later. (Ditto Skyrim and basically everything else).

Hopefully this go round I'll be able to cut down on the number of mods I'm using, so I'm asking for any recommendations/testimonials on basically anything. I've tried most things in the OP at one point or another I think but hopefully someone can point me to some good armor/guns packs that I haven't tried yet.

Only armor pack I use is JaySuS Rogue Ranger Coats and am not disappointed by it.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Chronojam posted:

It's fully featured with none of the usual "Nexus :rolleyes:" baggage or feature creep. Last time I started a game the recruit quest didn't trigger, but somebody made an alternate start with Deputy Beagle in Primm so I used that and it went OK (I had bypassed Primm).

Do you have a link to the mod? I tried to look it up on the nexus but, couldn't access it because it had "Adult Content."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

RickDaedalus posted:

Do you have a link to the mod? I tried to look it up on the nexus but, couldn't access it because it had "Adult Content."

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43247

It's worth reading the long, long features page so things make sense... I had no idea what "deadly in sight" in the menus meant for example, it's an option to highlight Gilbert's combat target in orange. There's like a billion options for handling the guns or taking off hats too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That's why he doesn't get habitually murdered! He's out of OneThousandMonkeys' jurisdiction.

Anyway I am a psychopath in New Vegas and only respect other psychopaths.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

SpookyLizard posted:

PS make a FAL)

Haha, it is on my bucket list so I'll get to it sooner or later.

Making the Fallout 3 combat shotgun (entirely from scratch), still needs work on the texture.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Seen a few people asking that I make the Ulysses Companion mod compatible with this mod, which apparently gives Ulysses an actual face with lips that can move. Looking at the screenshots, it doesn't look too bad, but I haven't seen it in action.

Have any of you tried this mod before? If so, how is it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arenovalis posted:

Making the Fallout 3 combat shotgun (entirely from scratch), still needs work on the texture.

Neat! will there be attachments and all that fluff with it?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

Did obsidian actually make it so that Uylsses didn't have a moving face?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Did obsidian actually make it so that Uylsses didn't have a moving face?
Ulysses' face isn't actually a face, it's a custom mask. Remove it and he looks like a regular person underneath. Because it's not an actual face model, the lips can't move.

To quote the Fallout wiki page on Ulysses, "His face is a unique model linked to his unique breathing mask and differing greatly from other human character models (i.e. he doesn't blink, he has a unique hairstyle, and his texture is more detailed). It is explained that the unique face is actually a mask worn by Ulysses which is unobtainable."

So no, Ulysses' face literally does not move, because it isn't actually a face. This is why he never blinks. It's also why he always has the mask on - his lips can't move either. Engine-wise, it's the same as wearing a hat - static and unanimated.

E: Here's a little more info, from the Cutting Room Floor wiki.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 19, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
TECHNICALLY there is a way to make those types of meshes lipsync, but it's a hacky mess that only one person really got working for Fallout 3/NV. apparently it worked okay in Oblivion though!

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

TECHNICALLY there is a way to make those types of meshes lipsync, but it's a hacky mess that only one person really got working for Fallout 3/NV. apparently it worked okay in Oblivion though!

Whoever did the Better Burned Man mod did a really good job, although that's a totally different kind of mask. I love that mod.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Chronojam posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43247

It's worth reading the long, long features page so things make sense... I had no idea what "deadly in sight" in the menus meant for example, it's an option to highlight Gilbert's combat target in orange. There's like a billion options for handling the guns or taking off hats too.

This looks pretty slick. I'm going to check it out.

@Cirosan, your proposal (I hope!) for that No Bark companion would be so awesome. He doesn't even need to do any combat - but if he offered a perk or two and just ran around being a liability - that would make for some really interesting gameplay.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edit: Nevermind, i put this on the wrong Fallout thread. I'm an idiot.

MustardMaster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 19, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Arenovalis posted:

Ugh, everytime I used this gun in FO3 or NV via PN's equipment, I am reminded at how nonsensical it is. Why is the magazine so far forward? This gives it a stupidly short barrel but without the advantage of being compact, and the ejection port is a foot behind the magazine... :bang:

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

@Cirosan, your proposal (I hope!) for that No Bark companion would be so awesome. He doesn't even need to do any combat - but if he offered a perk or two and just ran around being a liability - that would make for some really interesting gameplay.
Wasn't even a proposal, really; I was just joking. But, uh, glad you liked it.

If I did end up making No-Bark Noonan a companion, he would basically be the Pariah Dog of New Vegas.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, everytime I used this gun in FO3 or NV via PN's equipment, I am reminded at how nonsensical it is. Why is the magazine so far forward? This gives it a stupidly short barrel but without the advantage of being compact, and the ejection port is a foot behind the magazine... :bang:

The drum magazine feeds shells into a conventional tube magazine underneath the barrel, which is then fed upwards into the chamber, so actually it's a full length barrel :science:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Does anyone know if you can set up recipes so that they're only available under a certain range? I know you can set bare minimums, eg, if your repair is above 50, you have the recipe. But can you set it up so you only have a repair above 30 but below fifty?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bilal posted:

The drum magazine feeds shells into a conventional tube magazine underneath the barrel, which is then fed upwards into the chamber, so actually it's a full length barrel :science:

Oh seriously? I'll be, wasn't expecting there to be an actual explanation.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Does anyone know if you can set up recipes so that they're only available under a certain range? I know you can set bare minimums, eg, if your repair is above 50, you have the recipe. But can you set it up so you only have a repair above 30 but below fifty?
Nope. All you can is set the minimum skill required.

Edit: There may be a workaround though.
What you could try is setting up your recipe to require a hidden perk A. Then have a script running in the background that checks the player's skill and when it reaches 30 to add perk A and then when the skill goes above 50 to remove perk A.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 19, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You can set objects to execute some behavior when picked up right? Couldn't that work as a way to undo the craft?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Nope. All you can is set the minimum skill required.

Edit: There may be a workaround though.
What you could try is setting up your recipe to require a hidden perk A. Then have a script running in the background that checks the player's skill and when it reaches 30 to add perk A and then when the skill goes aboe 50 to remove perk A.

I suppose that could work. I'd be worried about that script eating up too many resources, though. But I thought it'd be nice to have the player have access to recipes thta alter as they get better at any given skill. You'd lose increasing amounts of resources basd on how under-levelled you were compared to the skill. EG, if the recipe required 50 repair, it'd become available at thirty repair, and for every X below the skill (I was thinking 10) it would cost you an additional Y% of stuff, representing your less-than-skilled hands costing you material.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I suppose that could work. I'd be worried about that script eating up too many resources, though.
If you're worried about that, you could try having the script run only while the player is using the levelup menu (Begin MenuMode 1027), instead of constantly (Begin GameMode).
But a simple script like that shouldn't have any noticable effect on performance.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 20, 2012

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey, so I downloaded the Remington sawed-off from Millenia and crew, and I used it through Honest Hearts and other places but after checking out some other modded-in shotguns and playing for a while I kinda feel like it's a bit overpowered. It's shooting ten pellets instead of the usual 7, does something like 11.0 damage per pellet at my current skill level which is quite high, has lower strength and skill requirements than the Hunting Shotgun, and weighs only 4. I want to tone it down a bit, honestly. Probably the thing I'm most interested in is the number of pellets, bringing it in line with the rest of the shotguns in New Vegas would be good and it would also preserve one of the unique properties of coin shot, which is that it uses eight projectiles instead. I've poked around a couple of weapon entries in the GECK, would that be what I need to look at?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I want to tone it down a bit, honestly. Probably the thing I'm most interested in is the number of pellets <snip> I've poked around a couple of weapon entries in the GECK, would that be what I need to look at?
You're close.
Open up the edit menu of the weapon you want to edit. Under the "Game Data" you should see "#Projectiles". Change that entry.

It may be simpler to use FNVEdit for this. That way you don't have to worry about potential dirty edits.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

If you're worried about that, you could try having the script run only while the player is using the levelup menu (Begin MenuMode 1027), instead of constantly (Begin GameMode).
But a simple script like that shouldn't have any noticable effect on performance.

I was thinking there'd be a single script that ran a series of checks to award the player a series of 'invisible' (if I can figure out how that works as well) perks. And I'd prefer to have it run as little as often.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cirosan posted:

You could recruit No-Bark, but he wouldn't actually fight in combat. He would instead scream about how clouds are part of an alien conspiracy while he cowered behind the nearest rock. If he ever used a weapon, it would be by accident. His special companion perk would let you know which people in the Mojave are really aliens in disguise. It would work only once, at the battle of Hoover Dam, where it would turn out Lanius was an alien behind the mask the whole time. And then, at the climax of the entire game, No-Bark Noonan would finally be vindicated.

You could do a thing like Boone or Rex's perks, where certain things are highlighted, except with No-Bark he'd point out which NPCs are actually mole-men. Upon completion of his companion sidequest you can learn spells from cave rats also.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Hm. Stepping away from No-Bark for a minute, I have a question. We clearly have quite a few talented modelers in the thread. Would anyone be willing to make an actual, unique facegen race for Ulysses?

There's this mod, which I mentioned earlier, but it doesn't sit right with me for a few reasons. First, while a good effort, it doesn't look much like the original concept art for Ulysses. The Ulysses in that mod looks like a young man; the Ulysses in the concept art comes across as a grizzled veteran. Second, the author is very territorial about their mod (requires express permission, must link back to original page, etc.), and that kind of attitude towards modding just rubs me raw. I understand wanting to be given credit for your work; that's reasonable, but to ask for written permission and an ouroboros of link-backs in one big circlejerk is ludicrous.

In short, I think we can do better. I've seen the screenshots some of you toss up on occasion - you're goddamn artists. Don't sell yourself short - you know who you are, and you know the quality of what you make. Between us, we could make Ulysses exactly as he was intended to be from the start.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread already, but the Oven Cooking mod is pretty awesome- http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35334

There's also a simpler version where all you need is a stove and a pilot light (which I'm using now and kind of prefer)- http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35397

edit: ignoooooooore

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I lvoe the attitude that people have about their mods like they actually own them. (instead of bethesda, who actually does)