Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Acidophilus posted:

I don't think that Calliope's decision to look for a better version of herself is the right one.

I agree. It seems kind of weird for a character who has all these self-worth issues to have an arc that centers around literally finding the version of themselves who's awesome and perfect.

Besides, how can she look for the perfect version of herself, when she is already here? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's going to be another character arc though. She'll find the adult version of her, and it won't be what she wanted or expected, but along the way she'll have to grow and "find herself", even if that wasn't her goal. I think whenever she has the courage to reveal her true face to her friends will be a major milestone.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Wasn't there some point where alpha-timeline Calliope accidentally referred to the other players as "characters" instead of her friends?. I think it would be delightfully creepy if turned out that this alternative Calliope never grew to see the other players (including Caliborn) as anything other than constructs of her fanfiction. :unsmigghh:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

It's funny that this comes up here because I've been arguing/debating this very thing with bladekindEyewear on tumblr. He's got this theory that Dave is going to die invading Caliborn's session and forcing it to scratch in order to create a version of Calliope that becomes dominate can face Lord English.

I pretty much agree with folks here though that Calliope having to grow up and accept herself is more true to the narrative themes then 'replacing' her with a more superficially successful alternate version.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Obviously Lord English actually IS that alternate Calliope, and the reason her cheeks are red is because she took her brother's blood color as a trophy and wore it or something. Like he took her blood color for his text.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

AriadneThread posted:

It's funny that this comes up here because I've been arguing/debating this very thing with bladekindEyewear on tumblr. He's got this theory that Dave is going to die invading Caliborn's session and forcing it to scratch in order to create a version of Calliope that becomes dominate can face Lord English.

I pretty much agree with folks here though that Calliope having to grow up and accept herself is more true to the narrative themes then 'replacing' her with a more superficially successful alternate version.

Also Dave perma-dying in a heroic sacrifice goes completely against the narrative themes of his arc. His whole problem is that his lack of self-worth and his insecurities drive him towards jumping at the thought of suicide missions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^Yeah, when it comes to heroic martyrdom, Karkat is far more appropriate for that role. And John, of course. He could probably find a way to undergo martyrdom getting the milk from down the street.

Technique posted:

Obviously Lord English actually IS that alternate Calliope, and the reason her cheeks are red is because she took her brother's blood color as a trophy and wore it or something. Like he took her blood color for his text.

Joking or not, an alternate Calliope being Lord English actually solves some narrative inconsistencies about him that have been bugging me. Namely, the plans and methods that LE engages in seem way way too complex to actually be pulled off by Caliborn as we know him. Plus the only time we heard LE talk was nothing like Caliborn's diction.

So you know, the empty eyes of dead Calliope are filled by billiard balls and we have LE.

That said this is rather unlikely, not for the least of the reason that Scratch called LE a man.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A big flaming stink posted:

Joking or not, an alternate Calliope being Lord English actually solves some narrative inconsistencies about him that have been bugging me. Namely, the plans and methods that LE engages in seem way way too complex to actually be pulled off by Caliborn as we know him. Plus the only time we heard LE talk was nothing like Caliborn's diction.

So you know, the empty eyes of dead Calliope are filled by billiard balls and we have LE.

That said this is rather unlikely, not for the least of the reason that Scratch called LE a man.

It could have been Doc Scratch. Maybe he left some cliff notes for LE to mostly ignore.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

It could have been Doc Scratch. Maybe he left some cliff notes for LE to mostly ignore.

Even if that was the case, it seems pretty unlikely that Caliborn would even care. His solution to everything seems to be just to smash all the poo poo that's in front of him and drat the details.

vvv It's not out of the realm of possibility that Hussie could do a Tavros-esque conclusion to Dave's arc. I.e. he's learned nothing and was unable to overcome his personal flaws.

To be honest, the way things are going that seems pretty likely, Dave seems to be in a pretty stagnant state on the meteor trip. Whereas we have Karkat doing close to a 180 in how he treats those around him (see his conversations with Terezi during Meenahquest), John coming to terms with the loss he experienced in the session (fighting with Jack and talking with Vriska), and Rose engaging in drunk philosophizing and finally making a move on her alien crush, Dave has spent most of the trip wasting time on Hussie's parody of tumblr posts.

He's gonna really need a kick in the pants to actually start growing up again.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 19, 2012

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Also Dave perma-dying in a heroic sacrifice goes completely against the narrative themes of his arc. His whole problem is that his lack of self-worth and his insecurities drive him towards jumping at the thought of suicide missions.

That's an excellent point, and something I kind of glossed over. Whoops! But yes, I agree. We kind of had this play out at least in part with the build up to [S] Cascade with Rose and Dave fighting over who got to go on the lovely suicide mission. To have Dave go off another suicide mission would be a kind of unsatisfying 'learned nothing from past events' move.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

To be honest, the way things are going that seems pretty likely, Dave seems to be in a pretty stagnant state on the meteor trip. Whereas we have Karkat doing close to a 180 in how he treats those around him (see his conversations with Terezi during Meenahquest), John coming to terms with the loss he experienced in the session (fighting with Jack and talking with Vriska), and Rose engaging in drunk philosophizing and finally making a move on her alien crush, Dave has spent most of the trip wasting time on Hussie's parody of tumblr posts.

He's gonna really need a kick in the pants to actually start growing up again.

Dave is a bit hard to read, he's still hiding a lot of himself behind a wall of bullshit. So far we haven't seen a whole lot from him other than musings on the death of culture and trying to be friends with his sister's alien vampire girlfriend.

I think meeting Dirk is going to be what makes him really start maturing.

Edit: Also reuniting with John. Never rule out the power of bromance.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 19, 2012

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

But Dave is perfect exactly the way he is :colbert:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Color Printer posted:

So I found this really loving awesome thing and...

Sburban Jungle (Dave's Time Loops)

(There are a few branches that can sound a little weird, but overall the default settings it chose are loving perfect.)

EDIT: turning on "remove sequential branches" makes it sound better in places, so I changed the URL.

I found a homestuck song that works much better with it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Between Hussie's conversation with Caliborn about overcoming his disability and Calliope's description of LE as an adult Caliborn, it may be simply that he matures.

That said, I don't think this is a very accurate portrayal of Caliborn. I think the chess game indicates he's more clever than you're giving him credit for.

Rooreelooo posted:

I'd be interested in knowing the full story behind this. It's only mentioned in dialogue once if i recall correctly, and while I can't remember the page to go look it up I think feferi pretty much just said 'i had a chat with the horrorterrors and they made these bubbles for us to use, cool huh?'

It's been glossed over. For all we know, after being asked by the horrorterrors to make the bubbles they just turned outsourced the job to pre-scratch calliope, aka muse massé (no idea where that name came from???) and she's the one who is really behind all this dreambubble nonsense.

This applies to almost everything that has to do with the horrorterrors. Their exact nature, their true motives, and the way they fit into the larger picture is all pretty obscure--so far they've just been convenient plot devices. For my money, they're the largest unsolved mystery in Homestuck right now.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plus the only time we heard LE talk was nothing like Caliborn's diction.
Caliborn types exactly like Lord English talks.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
In a plot twist our heroes will have to team up with Alpha Caliborn to defeat the ultimate evil of Lady/Muse Massé. Everyone will learn a valuable lesson that just because a guy is a jackass he isn't evil, and since you have to work together you might as well try to get along.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Comedy option: Lord English and the grown-up calliope fuse, and instead of becoming a whole person it just turns into an even more powerful killing machine.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm still thinking Jack might be LE. We've heard that there are multiple incarnations of him across universes, and with SBURB (and thus Derse) necessarily existing in all universes, Jack is indeed already here.

I wouldn't be surprised if B2 Jack is used as an entry point of sorts for Caliborn/LE, like Scratch was.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Technique posted:

No, she's hiding her cheek color.

Much like how a certain Time player disguised his chess pieces.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I for one think its pretty interesting that everyone seems convinced that theres going to some sort of lovely twist to do with Lord English. Hussie has conditioned us to expect there to be some off-the-wall shenanigans that we're all expecting it now. At this point I think it would be more shocking to most of the fandom if Caliborn just straight-up grows up to be LE.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
The only plot twist will be us finding out a little more about cherub maturity. They stay as teens for a while, then one day when the time is right and the circumstances favour it they yell 'IT'S TIME TO GET RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPED' and triple in body mass.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I find it hilarious that y'all are trying to guess which character is Lord English all over again :laugh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's obvious that Lord English is Caliborn, but it's just as obvious that there's going to be a (lovely?) twist.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I mean... Caliborn did say that the kids would celebrate her death.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

He also said that Dad was being tortured. :v:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The only mystery I want to know the answer to at the moment is "When is the next album coming out?" We haven't had one in a while and I'm starting to get the itch. Both for new Homestuck music, and for another chance to complain when a finished Spider's Claw ends up not being on it.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I find it hilarious that y'all are trying to guess which character is Lord English all over again :laugh:

Hey guys I think Calliope is turning evil.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

change my name posted:

Comedy option: Lord English and the grown-up calliope fuse, and instead of becoming a whole person it just turns into an even more powerful killing machine. Ace Dick.

I mean come on, let's be realistic here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I agree. It seems kind of weird for a character who has all these self-worth issues to have an arc that centers around literally finding the version of themselves who's awesome and perfect.

The fandom avatar who is all about making fanfics is on a quest to find the version of herself that is a Mary Sue? And you think it is inadequate to her character?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

It's obvious that Lord English is Caliborn, but it's just as obvious that there's going to be a (lovely?) twist.

The lovely twist is (wait one year before you finish reading this post) Caliborn is already Lord English!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So today I discovered some fanart I'd never seen before, thought I should share it with you.

http://bigbigtruck.tumblr.com/post/5769981738/crossovers-you-thought-youd-never-see-56-art

If you follow the D&D political cartoons thread you'll understand why this is so perfect.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Line Feed posted:

He also said that Dad was being tortured. :v:

I figure humans are so alien to him that this probably looks like torture to him. I mean, Dad's bed probably isn't a sarcophagus at all! Just some absurd fluffy thing!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Something Awful forums user Pigbuster is responsible for this beautiful work of art.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

IUG posted:

I figure humans are so alien to him that this probably looks like torture to him. I mean, Dad's bed probably isn't a sarcophagus at all! Just some absurd fluffy thing!

Or he didn't see it at all and made poo poo up to hateflirt at Jane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That tumblr person didn't know why Eridan was in drag? They missed the whole "March" joke!

How quickly we forget: http://homeslunk.tumblr.com/post/17759351189/my-thoughts-on-the-whole-march-calendar-page-thing

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Regy Rusty posted:

How quickly we forget
I think you mean "how much we want to forget."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If you don't start every day by taking a good solid eyeful of an Aborted Slunk joint, I don't know what to tell you. Six AM glass of carrot juice and a half hour meditation on Conehead Bro vs. Crazed Gremlin Kanaya; it gets you in the kind of properly bathetic mindframe you need to move serenely through life.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Midnight Raider posted:

The only mystery I want to know the answer to at the moment is "When is the next album coming out?" We haven't had one in a while and I'm starting to get the itch. Both for new Homestuck music, and for another chance to complain when a finished Spider's Claw ends up not being on it.
God, me too. Though methinks Spider Claw is going to be saved for the very last release.

I also hope we get one more Savior of the Something-Something song before Homestuck is through. Those are always amazing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm guessing that we'll hear something based on "Lotus" sometime in Act 7, and not sooner.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
All I want for the next album is an extended version of Stress. Why the best song gotta be so short, yo.

e: Also I hope Stress actually gets used for a flash at some point. It's basically the best of Dirk's themes, and the dude has a shitload of great themes.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

creationist believer posted:

Something Awful forums user Pigbuster is responsible for this beautiful work of art.

Regy Rusty posted:

That tumblr person didn't know why Eridan was in drag? They missed the whole "March" joke!

Considering that's apparently the blog of the person who draws the webcomic TJ & Amal, the Tumblr person is a goon too. Everyone involved is goons. It's all very solipsistic.

"The Internet clique that consumes its own output, forever and ever. I know where I came from -- but where did all you Tumblr-havers come from? You aren't really there at all. There isn't anybody but me - Something Awful - here alone in the dark." -- American transcendentalist poet Ralph Waldo Emerson