Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
If Zippy is out of her cage and I leave while Kenshin is home she'll wait on the doormat like a sad puppy. She would probably stay there until I got back if she had a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hey you bird crazies. I finally got around to making a thread for my sicknasty prints. I have some new ones I didn't post here before if anyone wants to give it a look see (and maybe pretend like everything's great and you all want it super bad?)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523359

In bird related news: Zomo and I are heading out in a few days to do the Vacation Thing so soon we're going to have to clip Marci and Finn's wings. I feel like a monster but I would feel WAY more awful if I didn't clip them and then an ignorant family member smooshed one of them in a door or accidentally let them free or they fluttered into the room with dogs and were eaten :(

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Pip pip pip posted:

My birds turn into bitchy monsters at 10pm on the dot. It's like they can read the clocks. I never feel bad about it :colbert:

This is how Goldy is, at 10 p.m. he starts in with "Night, night!" and gets progressively louder. If he is out until 10:30 he is screaming "GOOD NIGHT!" and having a meltdown.

Here he is, lord & master of the Chinese take-away bath tub. If we tell him his tail is dirty and to wash it he wags it around and says "EWW"

Jendays :3:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yeah, Pinto really wants to go to bed by about eight. He starts in with the cutest little "night-night!" and says a couple of words of the song I sing for bedtime.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Ugh god drat. Iroh was so well behaved yesterday. She was quiet, she let me work, toddled about in her cage quietly and enjoyed being picked up every couple hours for a cuddle-break. She was the perfect bird yesterday. Today, she's back to being a brat! She's doing that horrible anxiety-inducing tittering that turns into a piercing scream, and won't stop. Rather than play into her bullshit though, I let her do it three times to perhaps get it out of her system and once it became evident it wasn't going to stop, I put her out in the hallway. She's only just stopped screaming now. I feel like my head is ringing. When she wants to make a sound that's really piercing, she can.

SIGH. Fortunately, most of the time she's pretty quiet.

I look forward to her saying 'nightnight' and stuff when she wants to go to bed and stuff. Her vocabulary is pretty good for a little conure. It consists of 'Hello,' 'Dance,' 'That's Nice' and various other grumbles she hasn't quite worked out yet.

Here she is being cute again:
http://youtu.be/wvSxi83ryy0

Unghh Goldy is so drat cute! Look at him being all important! :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I work in the same room as my birds and use headphones and music to block out their poor behavioral choices. :colbert: Little pity for creatures that live in cages three times their size, surrounded by toys, and who are abundantly cuddled when deadlines aren't looming. Buttheads.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'm so jealous of you guys. We got a year-old conure from Petco because she was half off, so I think we missed most of her critical period for teaching her to talk. We have a little luck with coming up with words that fit the noises she already makes, and she slowly modifies her noises to sound more like the words. She doesn't say things without a lot of prompting, though. We use the same phrases for certain events, like "night night!" and "yummy food!" and "good morning!", and we often do our call-response word-noise thing in the evening when she's falling asleep. Is there anything else we can do to encourage her? I was thinking about actually going whole-hog and doing the model-rival approach that they used with Alex (that famous African Grey who could count and stuff).

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to write a story, but my :derptiel:s continue to be more amusing than anything I come up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOF2R7JSvE

That's Kima attacking my mouse while Bubbles watches angrily like the pissant that he is.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bubbles is making the same sort of warks that Hunter makes when he's on top of the cage and worried that Archer is going to fly over and beat the crap out of him.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

mjs6643 posted:

Bubbles is making the same sort of warks that Hunter makes when he's on top of the cage and worried that Archer is going to fly over and beat the crap out of him.

Bubbles' life is one neurotic mess. It follows, then, that he's always making those noises.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I am discovering daily more pros and cons of letting Ozzy learn to fly.
Pro: If he is hanging out on my shoulder, will fly to a perch or playstand to poop.
Con: Still won't fly back to me, but will fuss at me to come get him.

Con: Sometimes gets scared and makes a beeline to my shoulder no matter where he is in the apartment. Looks like I'm about to get whacked in the face by a bird.
Pro: It's freaking adorable.

Nugget is becoming a bit less snuggly now that she's pretty much fully flighted. I'm trying to decide if I will clip her again or not. I miss my snuggly bird but it's fun to watch her fly all over the place. At least she stopped perching on the top of a wall-hanging where I'd have to climb on top of the couch to get her down.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
You're lucky (in a sense). I can't get my guy to STOP CUDDLING IN AWKWARD PLACES. Its always a place where I would move except bird.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Saw something strange under our 12 year old budgie's wing - my wife the GP quickly IDed it as a tumor. Got her to the vet ASAP, and they said it was infected, so she'll be on antibiotics soon. Down 6g to 39g.

Poor little birdo. :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
Wandy has been acting all normal and cuddly. Now, if I am ignoring her while she is on my chest she will walk and headbutt my chin. If I continue to ignore her, she will continue to stand until she is on her tip toes trying to make eye contact.

And she laid another egg. I think it's just a fact of life now. Seeing as how she just abandoned her previous clutch that I removed, I stole it ASAP.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

And she laid another egg. I think it's just a fact of life now. Seeing as how she just abandoned her previous clutch that I removed, I stole it ASAP.

Make sure to replace it with something! Especially if it's a cockatiel, they'll just keep on laying eggs. Swap in a marble or something for her to sit on.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Back in the UK now, and the feathered fiends are now apparently going to the vet for boarding 23rd until the 1st. Trying not to think about it too much.

My parents here have a dog, and even though he's a BC mix, he seems so... limited now compared to Ohtori. I could talk to 'Tori in whole sentences, ask him specific things, etc. and even though he doesn't talk, he uses his own sounds or body language to respond. It's weird having to dumb down again for the dog. He gives me hugs for my efforts at least :3:

Also get to see my single living zebra finch-he's almost 10 years old now and though he couldn't care less about me it's nice to see him still going and still singing.

Pip pip pip posted:

I am discovering daily more pros and cons of letting Ozzy learn to fly.
Pro: If he is hanging out on my shoulder, will fly to a perch or playstand to poop.
Con: Still won't fly back to me, but will fuss at me to come get him.

Con: Sometimes gets scared and makes a beeline to my shoulder no matter where he is in the apartment. Looks like I'm about to get whacked in the face by a bird.
Pro: It's freaking adorable.

Conure missiles are the best. (PS please email me your address again :))

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.

Chili posted:

Make sure to replace it with something! Especially if it's a cockatiel, they'll just keep on laying eggs. Swap in a marble or something for her to sit on.

If you have been reading this thread...this saga of egg laying has gone on for a ridiculous amount of time. drat potato!

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
Hi all!

I have no prior experience with birds, but I've recently fallen in love with society finches and hope to acquire a pair in a few months (once I've moved out of my parents' house!).

In the mean time, I want to learn as much about them as I can. I've been googling and all, but I thought I'd ask my fellow goons if there are any specific resources in particular that I should look at?

I'm also not sure how to go about acquiring them once I am at a place where I can. I live in southern Minnesota, where there doesn't seem to be much in the way of aviaries, bird rescues or breeders, and I've always been a little hesitant to buy small animals from places like PetSmart. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Contact the non-local parrot rescues and let them know you're looking for finches. They almost always have finches and they rarely bother advertising them on Petfinder because most people don't think to check for rescues before buying!

Checking petfinder, I see two parrot rescues in MN - one in Plymouth, MN and one in Lino Lakes, MN (lol at same url for two different orgs - that probably caused so much rescue drama! :allears:). Not sure how close either is to you but that's a good start! If they don't have any they may be able to recommend someone who does.

Anyhow, let them know you're interested, give them a rough estimate of your time frame, and ask them to contact you if and when they get any societies in.

Even more distant rescues might be good if you're willing to drive - they may be so grateful to adopt small birds to you that they'll waive a lot of the normal procedures - I adopted a cage full of keets from a really hardnose rescue here in WI and they were like "gently caress the home visit, if you drive here to get them you can have 'em".

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Bird shirt time?

Yep, bird shirt time.

(He does this on his own constantly)

Sii
Apr 8, 2009
I have a rather young male sun conure who goes by the name Panzer. We got him from the local pet store close to a year ago. We went with him instead of adoption because he clicked with us and he suffers from some problems with his feet. I was afraid someone would impulse buy him and neglect his special needs. He's been well taken care of and has a happy home.

I've recently run into a small problem with him and I was hoping someone could give me some good advice or link me to some decent articles. I recently went on vacation for a week and left him in the care of housemate. When I returned home, I noticed that Panzer started acting weird around hands. He shies away from my touch and either squawks or flies away from my hand if it gets close.

Nothing traumatizing happened to him while we were gone. He was fed regularly and his water was kept clean. Each day, my house mate would spend an hour or two, telling Panzer about her day at work. The only time he would freak out is if you tried to get close to his feet, though he would only make some angry sounds and push your fingers away with his beak but never bite.

Before leaving for my trip, he would love to get a few soft scritches on his head and over his ears. He loved for me to help preen his feathers. He had absolutely no problem with hands what so ever.

The problem with Panzer's feet has made it incredibly hard to teach him how to step up.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

How long has it been since you returned? Is it possible he's punishing you for leaving him? Amadeus used to be quite skittish and moody for a couple days after I came back from a trip.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I had a dream that I won a competition and the competition people came to my house with champagne and left the cork off and Peep went in the bottle and drowned :(

Peep pictures please! I miss that birdy.

Sii
Apr 8, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

How long has it been since you returned? Is it possible he's punishing you for leaving him? Amadeus used to be quite skittish and moody for a couple days after I came back from a trip.

It's getting close to three weeks. I thought the same thing, but became worried once we passed day five and he was still as skittish.

The weird thing is that he still wants me to join him while he plays with his toy and he wants to preen my hair. It's like my hands are suddenly a scary monster (unless distracted by wood and leather) but he loves being around me. I saw that with confidence because the lil' fluff butt is currently on my shoulder, destroying some spray millet.

Sii fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 20, 2012

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That sounds like whoever was taken care of him while you were gone scared the living poo poo out of him with their hands and now you get to pay the price for it.

Sii
Apr 8, 2009

Zomodok posted:

That sounds like whoever was taken care of him while you were gone scared the living poo poo out of him with their hands and now you get to pay the price for it.

I would agree with you, but I know this person very well and nothing of the sort happened. He wasn't even touched by her.

Even though I am curious why Panzer is suddenly acting this way, but only to find the best method to help him get over his hand fear. I've been placing my hands right at his comfort zone, offer him a treat, and shower him with praise. Little by little, I'm pushing in on that boundary, careful not to get so close that he fearfully flies away.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
My cockatiels are up to no good.

I was in my office and heard a noise coming from the birdie room. It was definitely a noise from Bubbles (the male) as Kima (the female) can only really screech. I readied my camera because every time I hear a new noise they're always doing something amusing.

Welp, it looks like they were trying to get it on? I think? I mean, I don't know what the hell else it could be unless Kima was demanding the Bubbles crack her back.

Anyway, it looked so goofy that I thought it deserved posting. Not really NSW at all, as it's really just a video of stacked birds, but yeah, I guess be warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSXBdXXy7Y8

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yep, that's cockatiel sex. It shouldn't be too much of an issue because cockatiels will often mate for the hell of it and not produce eggs because of some mechanism I don't really understand.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

mjs6643 posted:

Yep, that's cockatiel sex. It shouldn't be too much of an issue because cockatiels will often mate for the hell of it and not produce eggs because of some mechanism I don't really understand.

Yeah, I'm just glad that they like each other. I couldn't really tell for sure. Up until only a few weeks ago Kima would hiss at Bubbles if he got anywhere near her. But recently, she's let him preen her head. I guess this is just the natural next step.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Just saw these on Tumblr. I wonder how long it took them to get the bird to tolerate the headgear.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Merry Christmas have a bird :3

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So Ritz had his first night fright last night. Well kinda, he was just flying around in his cage all scared like. No screaming or noise at all, just flapping. It was 4:22AM, but I thank him for doing it because if we hand't woken up we wouldn't have noticed that the ceiling was leaking due to rain.

We took him out and cuddled him in bed, but he didn't want to go back in his cage. He ended up going back in and going to bed with the cover halfway off so he could still see us.

Luckily he's ok and didn't hurt himself at all :)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

SaNChEzZ posted:

So Ritz had his first night fright last night. Well kinda, he was just flying around in his cage all scared like. No screaming or noise at all, just flapping. It was 4:22AM, but I thank him for doing it because if we hand't woken up we wouldn't have noticed that the ceiling was leaking due to rain.

We took him out and cuddled him in bed, but he didn't want to go back in his cage. He ended up going back in and going to bed with the cover halfway off so he could still see us.

Luckily he's ok and didn't hurt himself at all :)

Nugget didn't have her first night fright until she was like 2 years old. Sounds like he was just freaked out because of the leak(?) but ever since we got a night light for our bird room we haven't had any more night fright incidents. I'm glad he didn't hurt himself! Conures seem to be a lot more sturdy than cockatiels are :derptiel:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Well the leak was across the room, but it was good timing nonetheless haha. It was pretty rainy, maybe the noise on the roof spooked him. Who knows, he wanted nothing to do with his cage either, maybe he fell out of his hut or something while dreaming. He's pretty derpy.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Prototypical posted:

Just saw these on Tumblr. I wonder how long it took them to get the bird to tolerate the headgear.

That looks like my Pumpkin Pied :3:

Of course if that really was her I'd have all my fingers mauled off, and instead of a derp in antlers, she'd be on the other side of the room pooping everywhere in spite and cackling manically. Bird why you have to be so mean? :saddowns:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I bet I could get Hunter to wear a pair, but I'd feel really bad since he's enough of a ball of anxiety and derp as it is.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Merry Derpmas from Pumpkin and Cinni:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Haven't posted Hannah in a while. Here he is being all dark and mysterious. I can't remember the last time I let his wings get this long.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I'm very angry. Zomo offered to get us another bird for Christmas if I found one I liked. Of course I hopped right on this, but I really wanted to adopt instead of buying one from a store or breeder. We were fine with driving a few hours if need be so I started looking...

How about every single sanctuary around here has really insane requirements? I remember looking before, but it's way worse than I remember. One place requires you to take four classes (that you have to pay for) before you're able to adopt a bird. In addition to that you have to pay a fee from 10-200 dollars depending on the size of the bird. And THEN you have to pay for any vet bills the bird may have received. Another requires you to be within 35 miles of the sanctuary. Another requires you to be within an hour drive of the sanctuary. Another requires they come to your house and do an inspection - AND you have to be within 40 miles so that they can drive there an inspect your house.

Am I crazy... or are these really extreme requirements? Please let me adopt your birds, I'll take good care of them I promise :( I mean, I understand why they're trying to be thorough but at the same time, jesus christ.

PS MERRY HOLIDAYS BIRD CRAZIES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's official, Ritz is a huge jerk.

My girlfriend had a friend over today, usually he's ok with company, but a bit weary. As soon as she opened his cage door, he straight up flew out and attacked her. The victim thought it was funny, he didn't draw blood or anything, but that's unacceptable behavior.

Wings will be clipped.

He's still sneezing too, so hopefully the vet will give him some new antibiotics this time.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 26, 2012