Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

blackguy32 posted:

Also we got Mega Man 8 for the 15th Anniversary and the Anniversary Collection for the 20th anniversary.

Just to nitpick, MM8 was 10th anniversary and Anniversary Collection was for the 15th. I don't remember them doing anything at all for the 20th. Possibly something Battle Network/Starforce related? I don't pay attention to those ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No but you see, I think X and Zero are totally awesome and Bad Boxart Megaman looks nothing like them, he's uncool, so it's a cruel joke played on us True Believers.

Or that's how I assume the thought process goes, hence why it's so prevalent on GameFAQs and the like.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mango Polo posted:

Hm, I guess it's good timing then that my buddies just announced the first playable demo of their own 25th Anniversary game.

I have not yet tried it yet (time difference, at work now, yada yada), but I know they put a ridiculous amount of effort into making it.

Well, I just tried that demo last night.

In general, it feels a lot better, more polished and "right" than SFxMM, but as mentioned, his walk speed is way too slow. The sniper joes as a pain, and don't have enough of a window where you can attack them. Bio Man is also super hard. His globs will take off like half your health! And it's hard to tell if he's going to shoot them straight at you or at an upwards angle, making them hard to dodge.

Also, I guess you guys choose not to include a charge shot?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Am I wrong for wanting a full game with bad boxart Megaman? If you get the right people working on it, that would make up for Street Fighter X Tekken and Street Fighter X Mega Man all in one go. A guy can dream, right? :allears:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bovineicide posted:

Am I wrong for wanting a full game with bad boxart Megaman? If you get the right people working on it, that would make up for Street Fighter X Tekken and Street Fighter X Mega Man all in one go. A guy can dream, right? :allears:

Only if it plays like a weird forgotten cousin to the Megaman franchise in general. Weirdly related to all the other Megaman games but somehow just totally getting it all wrong. Purposefully overwrought MMX anime drama cutscenes interspersed with clunky PS1 era Megaman Legends style 3D shooting segments, but the Classic Megaman style level/boss/weapon setup. But the boss fights are turn-based. And then something weird like on-rails segments with Star Fox style chatter the whole time. And cards scattered throughout the levels that you collect to play some sort of battle card game, which doesn't seem important at all until you reach the final boss, which uses the card game battle exclusively.

Call it "The Mega Man 20XX".

And then sequalize it yearly until it loses all comedic value(which is immediately upon the announcement of a sequel).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Only if it plays like a weird forgotten cousin to the Megaman franchise in general. Weirdly related to all the other Megaman games but somehow just totally getting it all wrong. Purposefully overwrought MMX anime drama cutscenes interspersed with clunky PS1 era Megaman Legends style 3D shooting segments, but the Classic Megaman style level/boss/weapon setup. But the boss fights are turn-based. And then something weird like on-rails segments with Star Fox style chatter the whole time. And cards scattered throughout the levels that you collect to play some sort of battle card game, which doesn't seem important at all until you reach the final boss, which uses the card game battle exclusively.

Call it "The Mega Man 20XX".

And then sequalize it yearly until it loses all comedic value(which is immediately upon the announcement of a sequel).

I would wholeheartly enjoy that

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

Dragon Quarter was an amazing game on its face, but BoF3 is really the high water mark for the series as it was known. I'd love another game like Dragon Quarter but the Breath of Fire fan in me wants another Breath of Fire game. I don't even call Dragon Quarter by anything but its subtitle because my brain doesn't really recognize it as part of the series, great game or no.

I'd give the high mark trophy to either 2 or 4, 3 just doesn't hold up well at all, its agonizingly slow to start, you spend way to much time as kid Ryu and it has the worst translation job of the series. 4 ironed out all these issues and felt a lot more solid to me.

Currently there is a BoF3 for the PSP but its UK only, no changes to it, just a straight port in typical Capcom fashion, BoF4 is available on the PSN.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alteisen posted:

I'd give the high mark trophy to either 2 or 4, 3 just doesn't hold up well at all, its agonizingly slow to start, you spend way to much time as kid Ryu and it has the worst translation job of the series. 4 ironed out all these issues and felt a lot more solid to me.

Currently there is a BoF3 for the PSP but its UK only, no changes to it, just a straight port in typical Capcom fashion, BoF4 is available on the PSN.

We will have to agree to disagree on most of that. Yes, 3 starts more slowly but I think the scope and quality of the game is higher. 2 is very good for the era and 4 has potential but is really marred by the polygonal visuals.

I recently went through 1-4 in a marathon and frankly I felt 3 played and felt the best of all the games and is the one I think of immediately when someone says the phrase "Breath of Fire".

Regardless, Capcom has a real problem revisiting classic franchises. I think many of the developers have moved on and tastes change and no one really knows how to replicate that again. Look at Konami and Suikoden for a similar problem.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Levantine posted:

Regardless, Capcom has a real problem revisiting classic franchises. I think many of the developers have moved on and tastes change and no one really knows how to replicate that again. Look at Konami and Suikoden for a similar problem.

Eh, MM9 and MM10 were both good and faithful reproductions of the "originals" - really SFxMM should have not been "officially" supported by Capcom or at the very least Capcom should have gotten involved earlier and threw some QA resources at the guy who was developing it to iron out some of the crazy loving bugs and UX issues.

How do you use E tanks in this loving game?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I'd never give the high mark to 4. It had some aspects I enjoyed (and rather smooth animations) but 3 had much better gameplay. Experimenting with genes was a lot of fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Just to nitpick, MM8 was 10th anniversary and Anniversary Collection was for the 15th. I don't remember them doing anything at all for the 20th. Possibly something Battle Network/Starforce related? I don't pay attention to those ones.
I think (at least my) ZXA box has "yaaaay 20th anniversary" on it. Could be wrong, though. At least it's a great game?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I just tried that demo last night.

In general, it feels a lot better, more polished and "right" than SFxMM, but as mentioned, his walk speed is way too slow. The sniper joes as a pain, and don't have enough of a window where you can attack them. Bio Man is also super hard. His globs will take off like half your health! And it's hard to tell if he's going to shoot them straight at you or at an upwards angle, making them hard to dodge.

Also, I guess you guys choose not to include a charge shot?
Proto has one, he and Mega play somewhat like in MM9/10 except that Mega can slide.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bovineicide posted:

So you're so disappointed by a free fangame that you feel Capcom needs to "make up" for it.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Ryoshi posted:

For what it's worth, the latest Sonic kart racing game is actually balls-out awesome. It's like a cross between Mario Kart and F-Zero (it gets insanely fast and pretty hard) where you can shoot bees at Danica Patrick.

Yeah the new Sonic kart racing game is really fun and I like it, but I just want more than cameo appearances for some of Sega's lesser loved IPs. It would be nice to have sequels to Crazy Taxi, Beyond Oasis, or even Ristar.

Bovineicide posted:

Hypothetical game staring Bad Box Art Megaman that will never happen.
It should play like the DOS Megaman games made by Hi Tech Expressions.

Megaman 3 DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7XBR7Edk8A

Megaman DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXvQQZwKE1I

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 19, 2012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SFxMM isn't the greatest, but honestly what do people expect from a free fangame? Had I payed $10 for it, I'd probably be mad, but it's free.

Simply Simon posted:

I think (at least my) ZXA box has "yaaaay 20th anniversary" on it. Could be wrong, though. At least it's a great game?

Proto has one, he and Mega play somewhat like in MM9/10 except that Mega can slide.

Is he playable in the demo? I switched to the pause screen, but I couldn't figure out how to play as him.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gammatron 64 posted:

SFxMM isn't the greatest, but honestly what do people expect from a free fangame? Had I payed $10 for it, I'd probably be mad, but it's free.

Is he playable in the demo? I switched to the pause screen, but I couldn't figure out how to play as him.
A on the Mega Man picture in the level select screen.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, of all the things about the game itself, the fact that it seems to be made in Game Maker (can't toggle fullscreen, iffy compatibility rate with computers, resource hog) is the biggest issue for me. Outside of the game, it's that fact that Capcom gave it their official Krusty Capcom Brand Seal of Approval as the big anniversary surprise that kind of kills it.

Can't wait to see if this sets precedence for a wave of copycat imitators bringing their laptops to the next EVO.

Do you think there's merit in a Mega Man boss rush game? Not the Power Battle series, something similar to Alien Soldier instead? Like a game where you trash a series of mini-bosses before hitting up the Robot Master, and anything in between is purely fodder for restoring health/ammo?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The Star Force games have 20th anniversary stickers on them as well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

StevenM posted:

Honestly, of all the things about the game itself, the fact that it seems to be made in Game Maker (can't toggle fullscreen, iffy compatibility rate with computers, resource hog) is the biggest issue for me. Outside of the game, it's that fact that Capcom gave it their official Krusty Capcom Brand Seal of Approval as the big anniversary surprise that kind of kills it.

Can't wait to see if this sets precedence for a wave of copycat imitators bringing their laptops to the next EVO.

I have a feeling it's made in Game Maker too, but there's no pre-loading screen, unless newer versions have gotten rid of that.

Speaking about that, Mango Polo, do you know if MM25th is made in GM, MMF, or something else?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can toggle full screen. In pause menu I think it's f4 to hop through the window sizes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

StevenM posted:

Do you think there's merit in a Mega Man boss rush game? Not the Power Battle series, something similar to Alien Soldier instead? Like a game where you trash a series of mini-bosses before hitting up the Robot Master, and anything in between is purely fodder for restoring health/ammo?

I've seen some fantastic games made in game maker, so I don't see why that would be an issue. We're not talking about Gravy Traders era klik n play here.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Ryoshi posted:

Then they added Box Art Mega Man to SFxT and made his ending a joke about whining about Legends 3. If that doesn't strike you as kind of a dick move then I don't know what to tell you.
This isn't even true.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This isn't even true.

I wish ALL of SfxT wasn't true. :smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This isn't even true.

Whoops. That's what I get for ever reading Kotaku, I guess.

I agree with everyone else that BAMM is hilarious, that parody ending just seemed mean-spirited.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't Inafune specifically give his blessing for Bad Box Art Mega Man? It was also going to be in Mega Man Universe before it got cancelled. I think they just think he's funny, no ill-will intended.

I think that its parodic references to Legends and Megaman universe were put in before either of those games were cancelled. Had they not been cancelled, I think everyone would have found it hilarious. Unfortunately they apparently didn't think about maybe changing it after cancellation, which some people took as deliberate taunting.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hey hey hey!
It's not Game Maker's fault that the game is subpar.

Speaking of Game Maker, Capcom, and platformers: Locomalito (the guy behind Hydorah) has released Maldita Castilla, a Ghosts'n Goblins tribute game with fantastic graphics, music, gameplay, and even a good story.

pictured: dodongos

Check it out, it's probably up your alley if like MM.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Hey hey hey!
It's not Game Maker's fault that the game is subpar.

I didn't mean to imply that Game Maker was responsible for the design issues of the gameplay itself. I'm saying as a person who uses these kinds of programs to make games, that Game Maker itself has issues with programs loading poorly on other computers, whereas Multimedia Fusion or Construct or Stencyl usually don't. But that's getting off-topic unless people want to talk about fangames further, like Mega Man Unlimited.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't see how that is off topic, after all this is about Megaman. Hell there have been mentions of Megaman X Corrupted. I think it's more so leave the bad fangames out (well depending on how bad).

Let's face it, there isn't much to talk bout Megaman anyways so why not, I'm interested to hear about Megaman Unlimted.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

StevenM posted:

I didn't mean to imply that Game Maker was responsible for the design issues of the gameplay itself. I'm saying as a person who uses these kinds of programs to make games, that Game Maker itself has issues with programs loading poorly on other computers, whereas Multimedia Fusion or Construct or Stencyl usually don't. But that's getting off-topic unless people want to talk about fangames further, like Mega Man Unlimited.

I prefer Game Maker, even though I've used both that and MMF a lot. gently caress, I was trying to make games when I was 14. I actually made some lovely rear end Power Battle type games that were just boss fights, using the Wily Wars sprites in MMF. My more ambitious project, Mega Man Returns, well, I didn't have the time to work on it. And design issues with my engine make level design a loving nightmare, so were I ever to start again, I would probably have to totally redo how scrolling works in it.

I've never used Contruct or Stencyl, but I prefer how GM has an actual programming language that's similar to Java, whereas MMF is... loving clunky and impossible as poo poo to work with. In theory, not having to write any code and just having menus should make things easier, but you'd be surprised.

Also, while this was an old version of MMF, tons of my projects wound up getting corrupted after a while, and I got tired of losing lots of work.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Game Maker is a very good development environment, the issues are almost all regarding actually playing those games.

I can't speak too badly against it though, there have been many excellent games made with Game Maker despite the annoying technical issues.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So Capcom USA has put out a survey to see what we, the fans and consumers, would like to see from Capcom in the digital game space. The data gathered will help the company in the decision making process.

About Mega Man, you'll be asked wheter you'd buy digital ports of currently existing games as well as what you'd like to see in the future of the franchise.

quote:

There's no guarantees on what the outcomes will be, but I promise you, this data will be a factor in our decision making process. I'll be compiling the data in about a week (closing just after Christmas) and sharing the results internally with Japan before the end of the year.

It doesn't hurt to try, does it? So let's fill out that survey, guys.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Also according to Svensson, downloads of SFxMM have exceeded his expectations so far and they are "talking about doing an update": http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/dec/20/download-numbers-street-fighter-x-mega-man-exceeded-svens-expectations-talking-about-doing-update/

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I've never played Wily Wars. They're just compilations of old MM games plus a bonus level or two, right?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Skychrono posted:

I've never played Wily Wars. They're just compilations of old MM games plus a bonus level or two, right?

Wily Wars is Mega Man 1-3, plus an extra minigame that is unlocked when you beat all 3. It has 3 new robot masters and 4 wily castle stages. Oh, and rather than gaining new weapons, you can use whatever weapons you want from MM1-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2KCbWSL60

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's worth noting that since WW is a remake and not a port of Mega Man 1-3, there's a bunch of very very small physics/level design/weapon behavior/boss AI differences, along with of course the completely redone graphics which also result in a difference in the screen size.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wily Wars feels weird as poo poo. The bonus bosses look more like MMX Mavericks, and the character/enemy sprites look really bad. The environments and music are good, though.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also according to Svensson, downloads of SFxMM have exceeded his expectations so far and they are "talking about doing an update": http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/dec/20/download-numbers-street-fighter-x-mega-man-exceeded-svens-expectations-talking-about-doing-update/

Hah I think I'm literally going to not go back and play the version I downloaded till it is. I can wait.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did the survey thing, told them I wanted the 1-10 collected, but with 7 and 8 de-made and the ability to play em all in any stage order and keeping all the weapons. Yeah, will never happen.

Also took the "other franchise" box as an opportunity to say Mega Twins was one of my Capcom favorites, because that game owns.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Did the survey thing, told them I wanted the 1-10 collected, but with 7 and 8 de-made and the ability to play em all in any stage order and keeping all the weapons. Yeah, will never happen.

Also took the "other franchise" box as an opportunity to say Mega Twins was one of my Capcom favorites, because that game owns.

I told them to make Mega Man X9, even though I'm a bigger fan of the first Legends game, because we all know only tragedy lies down that path.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

If they do a deal with the team who produced Rockman 7 and 8 FC then it could be a possibility. Not selling those games, but maybe just as a free bonus with the collection itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I wish there was a checkbox on that survey for "I've already purchased digital versions of these games, sometimes more than once, and have both the X and Classic collection, AND you JUST announced that you're ALREADY re-releasing MM 1-6 AGAIN digitally, so WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT THESE THINGS".