Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:cawg: Tall handlebars are the most hilarious poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I want this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://radducati.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dirt-rad-by-radical-ducati-2012.html

who wouldn't?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
New Kawasaki 636 commerical on the TT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLRi_wg814
It gets interesting around 0:40 in.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 20, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

M42 posted:

:cawg: Tall handlebars are the most hilarious poo poo

This bike owns. And so does his cruiser.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Open face helmet and no front brake. Nature will eventually take its course.

Why spend the money on something like that and not put on a brake? Purely form over function? But it has a steering stabilizer! Which looks completely out of place.

obso fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 20, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

obso posted:

Why spend the money on something like that and not put on a brake? Purely form over function? But it has a steering stabilizer! Which looks completely out of place.

You're thinking about it too much.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

obso posted:

That's not a steering stabilizer is it? It looks like a shock attached to the frame at the front, and the engine at the back.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

echomadman posted:

I still find stoppies terrifying and bottle out before i get up that high. I can roll them if I do them at higher speeds but the prospect of the repair bills for a fuckup put me off.

practice them on a mountain bike then

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

That's not a steering stabilizer is it? It looks like a shock attached to the frame at the front, and the engine at the back.

Thats a steering stabilizer. Cant have any tankslappers on that incredibly precise handling beast.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, holy poo poo, I didn't realize until you guys said it that there is physically no front brake at all on that thing.

Jesus gently caress, how can he ride that without crapping himself the whole time.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
At least the weld's on Brad's frame are clean!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Shimrod posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, I didn't realize until you guys said it that there is physically no front brake at all on that thing.

Jesus gently caress, how can he ride that without crapping himself the whole time.

What do you call his feet? No front fender for a reason. Just stick a boot up there below the triple clamps and you'll be stopped in no time.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Shimrod posted:

You never rode a BMX with a coaster brake when you were a kid? Same principle, weight sits on the back of the bike, it's not like you're going to be making any sort of evasive maneuver anyway on it. Hell, on surface streets I use more rear brake anyway, it's smoother and doesn't scare the poo poo out of the cars behind you.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

nsaP posted:

Where I live helmets aren't common.

Sounds like comfort is the only reason, and that just seems silly to me if you're already going to the trouble of having that much helmet on. The full face doesn't seem like that much more. Hell just get one of the flip-ups.

Vision issues are bullshit, I expect to hear that from the no helmet crowd.

Agreed on all but the vision. The chin bar blocks a lot of what you can catch out of the vertical peripheral. The sides are cut back far enough on most that it's not as bad as your average sunglasses, but when you have idiot lights going off on the gas tank you don't see them without purposefully looking down to check.

Not a big deal for me, but it's a valid reason for being annoyed with them. Personally I go full face because that doesn't bother me as much as a mouth full of asphalt. I won't hold it against anybody else though, being distracted, suffocated, or neurotic and constantly checking for a reserve light will cause an accident. Anyway... since this is a pic thread.

Terrible cut/paste of a 0mph handlebar instrument panel in traffic from some poo poo stock photo site.

Full face doesn't block the view of anything but your own crotch. Not a big deal for most.

Typical tank based speedo/instrument panel

Chin bar on a full face blocks all this when looking straight ahead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThatCguy posted:

doesn't scare the poo poo out of the cars behind you.
How so?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I'm assuming rapid decel and a back end visibly lightening but I don't really know either.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best way to keep your skills sharp is to full panoc brake all day every day. If they rear end you theyre at fault anyways. :smug:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I didn't do the welding. I don't know poo poo about welding. I didn't design it, I don't know poo poo about designing sidecars. So far I swapped cylinders and laced the rear wheel. The other guys in the project have built multiple street sidecars before and decided on the shape based on reading articles and talking to other people who race vintage sidecars. As should be obvious in those photos, the frame is like 30-40% done. A significant number of bracing tubes are yet to be added, especially around the steering head. You guys are the least fun part of the internet. I'll be sure not to show you any of our t-shirts lest you be concerned over the strength of the weaving processes used!

What? A cotton blend? YOU'RE GOING TO GET A RASH

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

quote:

How so?

As others mentioned, rapid decel. I don't know what it's like around you, but around here, most cars are right up your rear end in stop and go surface street traffic. I know I can stop plenty quick with both brakes, I also know Suzy Soccermom in her 3 ton SUV with the grill right at about spine level on me who's staring down at her FB status update on her iphone can't/won't. Hence I use a lot more rear brake in those situations, almost ignoring the front brake.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use less front brake? Its not like its a binary thing.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Notice I said "more", not implying the absense of front braking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Halo_4am posted:

Agreed on all but the vision. The chin bar blocks a lot of what you can catch out of the vertical peripheral. The sides are cut back far enough on most that it's not as bad as your average sunglasses, but when you have idiot lights going off on the gas tank you don't see them without purposefully looking down to check.

Not a big deal for me, but it's a valid reason for being annoyed with them. Personally I go full face because that doesn't bother me as much as a mouth full of asphalt. I won't hold it against anybody else though, being distracted, suffocated, or neurotic and constantly checking for a reserve light will cause an accident. Anyway... since this is a pic thread.

Terrible cut/paste of a 0mph handlebar instrument panel in traffic from some poo poo stock photo site.

Full face doesn't block the view of anything but your own crotch. Not a big deal for most.

Typical tank based speedo/instrument panel

Chin bar on a full face blocks all this when looking straight ahead.

Ah, so it's for disabled people with a neck injury then?

I understood the point, I just think it's a BS excuse. I'm also curious as to how true it is, because I ride a standard and can see that section of my tank (just tried it yesterday after this thread). In a cruiser like that, wouldn't your seating position be farther back and lower? The back of the gas tank and my nuts are the only thing I can't see from the chinbar.

But even if I give you that on some bikes the chin bar blocks the display from being glanced at while keeping your neck perfectly straight, look down?

If I crashed and rashed the hell out of my face but my reason for not wearing a full face was "I can't see my instrument panel lights when I'm looking directly forward" I'd feel foolish. I can understand other reasons why people wear partial gear but other than comfort or style I don't see a lot of rationalization for this one.

Except Jay Leno. He gets a pass because his chin sticks out of a full face.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's not a chin that's a tumor.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I really want this for my other 750. Big bore jugs made out of billet aluminum.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

nsaP posted:

Ah, so it's for disabled people with a neck injury then?

I understood the point, I just think it's a BS excuse. I'm also curious as to how true it is, because I ride a standard and can see that section of my tank (just tried it yesterday after this thread).

I just look down, but I also don't pay a lot of attention to the speedo/instruments in general. I go with the flow of traffic and focus on keeping proper distance, looking for outs, running 'if this guy suddenly stops/cuts in/etc' scenarios through my head. I don't especially care if that means I'm +/- 5-10 mph of the speed limit. Heads up attention to the 2+ ton vehicles surrounding me demands my attention more than an arbitrary speed limit. I have enough experience to know what speed I'm going and how to maintain it, and I know what gear I'm in based on the hearing the rpms of the bike. I know the difference of a shift between neutral and second feels like most times and don't need to verify the little green light is on. I've only been riding for 7 years, and I vividly remember when I needed to check instruments, rpm indications, mph indications, etc just as a confirmation I'm doing what I think I'm doing.

That said it's true of my Bell Vortex and my buddy's tank based Suzuki C50. I have to glance down to see mph and any lights that are going off. It's a quick glance every once in awhile for me and is a non-issue. Some people are seriously neurotic about checking their speed and indicators every 10 seconds though. They're the ones that don't like a chin bar blocking their view.

:edit:
We agree full face is best and both wear one. We're arguing about the validity of an easy adjustment some people aren't willing to make to do the same. Let's stop derailing the photo thread with never ending helmet chat. Somebody is going to bring up oil preferences soon.

Why I wear a full face and don't care about instruments being blocked.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 20, 2012

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Valt posted:

That might be the world's cleanest bike, my god that engine.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

ADINSX posted:

That might be the world's cleanest bike, my god that engine.

Yah that dude has way to much money in that bike. Those carbs and jugs alone are more then 3 grand. If I had the money though I would have a set of those jugs in a heart beat.

I don't even know whats in that motor. But I'm pretty sure to even use those jugs you have to bore the cases. Which means he is probably running 900 or 1000 ccs. I would guess labor + parts on that motor puts it over 5 grand.

Valt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

As others mentioned, rapid decel. I don't know what it's like around you, but around here, most cars are right up your rear end in stop and go surface street traffic.

Obviously reaction time is going to be a problem in that specific situation, but I've heard that most average cars can stop faster than all but the sportiest of sportbikes despite their weight, simply because they have a much wider contact patch. C/D?

Halo_4am posted:

I also don't pay a lot of attention to the speedo/instruments in general. I go with the flow of traffic and focus on keeping proper distance, looking for outs, running 'if this guy suddenly stops/cuts in/etc' scenarios through my head. I don't especially care if that means I'm +/- 5-10 mph of the speed limit. Heads up attention to the 2+ ton vehicles surrounding me demands my attention more than an arbitrary speed limit.

This, pretty much. On an empty freeway, sure, you probably want to be checking your gauges now and then. In the city, as long as you aren't blowing people's doors off as you pass them you can be pretty sure you're going a reasonable speed, and there's no need to read the actual value.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just like looking at my pretty instruments :frogbon:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cheater mode, engage!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Crossposting from the Secret Santa gift. Cause holy poo poo.

Ziploc posted:

So I got a box. I've had it for a little while as I have had random things keeping me from sending to my Santee. But my gift has been sent out, so I won't feel bad opening my box.

It's a pretty smug loving box.

You're pretty confident are you box?

NO. <:mad:>

Neat. I love badges! Hey what's that paper all about?

What is this jibber jabber? Priming? Starting? Tree? What?

Oh

My

God.

:aaaaa:

Wait there's a key...

:eyepop:

It's a god drat Christmas tree made out of a motorcycle petcock, indicator cluster, and clutch brake levers! And it lights up with the key! It even has a fuel filter Christmas topper! HOLY poo poo.

Part of me hates my Secret Santa. I never decorate anything for Christmas. At home and at work. And you go and send me this. You magnificent bastard. This is going everywhere with me this holidays.

I'm still amazed.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

that thing loving rules

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Obviously reaction time is going to be a problem in that specific situation, but I've heard that most average cars can stop faster than all but the sportiest of sportbikes despite their weight, simply because they have a much wider contact patch. C/D?

Pretty much confirm. Theoretically the lighter weight and far softer tyres of the bike balances out the contact patch issue but the very different consequences for lockups mean that it's very rare for bikers - even on a track - to use the full braking power available to them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum - Christmas Tree Uses Premium Fuel Only

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That thing is rad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum - Christmas Tree Uses Premium Fuel Only

I second this motion. Mods?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Sure, which I'm not sure what that has to do with distracted drivers in slow speed stop and go surface traffic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Looks about twice as terrible to ride as the XL175, but I'd ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Valt posted:

Yeah those are sexy as hell.