Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
First Trailer for Lightning Returns!

http://kotaku.com/5970009/heres-your-first-trailer-for-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii (Sorry for the Kotaku link...)

It still looks like there's battle scenes but they're more action oriented and based on one character.

Edit: Well, at least it's on a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wow, those battle menus look like crap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scher posted:

So hey, check it out! There's a trailer for Lightning Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3F6MSlCCPg&feature=youtu.be

It does not cease to amaze me in how terrible that outfit continues to be. A lot of the running around town reminds me of Assassin's Creed, what with the hopping all over stuff that is going on. Also, combat looks nice, I guess? I heard that the combat is supposed to be more action oriented, but I can't really tell how different that looks from XIII and XII-2, considering I didn't really play much of either.

Combat system looks quite different. No sign of Party members, it appears that you have buttons bound to attacks instead

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That still doesn't really look like the first trailer for XIII. That's a good thing though, because a game like that would be completely unplayable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Combat looks kinda janky ATM, but early days...
That outfit is still pretty awful though, though the town area is looking really nice.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ImpAtom posted:

Combat system looks quite different. No sign of Party members, it appears that you have buttons bound to attacks instead

Yeah but we knew that. The trade off was suppose to be that the battles would be more actiony since you're only playing as Lightning and you don't have to scroll through menus. That just looks like a standard FF13 battle. Laughing at the sunglasses too. Keep it cheesy SE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah but we knew that. The trade off was suppose to be that the battles would be more actiony since you're only playing as Lightning and you don't have to scroll through menus. That just looks like a standard FF13 battle. Laughing at the sunglasses too. Keep it cheesy SE.

The sunglasses were hilarious.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
For a second I thought they were gonna retract Adam Jenson style.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Claire gets a bitchin' motorbike to accompany her shades.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

If she had Jenson's glasses I would buy this game day 1.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Vinchenz posted:

First Trailer for Lightning Returns!

http://kotaku.com/5970009/heres-your-first-trailer-for-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii (Sorry for the Kotaku link...)

It still looks like there's battle scenes but they're more action oriented and based on one character.

Edit: Well, at least it's on a new page.

So like FFXIII-2 only with a single party member. Yet for some reason still a RPG combat system?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed XIII-2 and always like Lightning as a character, but this seems odd.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

When did Final Fantasy become Kingdom Hearts? Lightning's hotrodded outfit, those 2cool4school sunglasses, the clock towers... :negative:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Reading this made me think of a Dissidia with all the SE properties and now I'm sad we will never get that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the trailer, I mean it's the usual mishmash of "Story stuff that will make no sense even in context" and trying hard to be cool, but the combat looks neat and I think I saw a costume where Lightning looks like a cowboy, which can only be amazing.

Gotta see more before I can make an actual judgment, kind of surprised there's an English trailer out this early though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

drat, whoever put the trailer up was really fast about taking it down.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Level Slide posted:

drat, whoever put the trailer up was really fast about taking it down.

I missed it :(

That outfit looks really bad in those higher res scans. That's what dlc was made for I guess/hope?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

This one still works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Now that I see it in motion, I hate Lightning's new outfit even more... Especially when Lightning steps off the train, looking like a veritable studded metal peacock attached with 7 different anime scarves, and the completely generic-looking female NPC does not even bat an eye.

The new Combat system seems pretty heavily revamped (the four face-buttons are mapped to attacks (?)), but still seems to keep the paradigm changing. I noticed three stances so far; Divinity (Attack, Guard, Thunder, Blitz), Cerberus (Heavy Slash, Light Slash, Blizzaga, Evade), and Enchanter (Imperil, Firaga, Lesser Guard, Thunder).

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 20, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Ha! Her outfit does change when she paradigm shifts! It's obscured, but you can kinda see it happen at the :59-1:00 mark.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Look on the bright side, guys: two months after the game's release, we'll get a $6 DLC with a sensible outfit.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Now that I see it in motion, I hate Lightning's new outfit even more... Especially when Lightning steps off the train, looking like a veritable studded metal peacock attached with 7 different anime scarves, and the completely generic-looking female NPC does not even bat an eye.

Me too :(

The sunglasses though. She needs to keep and wear those forever.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Everybody's voiced their opinion on the battle system and her outfit already, but is it just me or did the framerate look really, really bad? Maybe it was just youtube, but it just didn't look very smooth at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Winks posted:

Me too :(

The sunglasses though. She needs to keep and wear those forever.

I'd honestly love it if she had a sunglasses button.

Lance Streetman posted:

Everybody's voiced their opinion on the battle system and her outfit already, but is it just me or did the framerate look really, really bad? Maybe it was just youtube, but it just didn't look very smooth at all.

It looked pretty bad but we'll see. Youtube + promo video is a bad combo. The FFXIII-2 framerate was way shittier in the E3 demo.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Final Fantasy IV ds coming to ios, with selectable difficulty levels!

Final Fantasy V reveal to be coming to ios in the FFIV ios trailer! Remake?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9TSg6E3oDo

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
FFV iOS is probably the first iPhone game I'll ever buy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to bet on FFV iOS being either a straight port of FFVGBA or a FFIVPSP-style graphical upgrade.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Look on the bright side, guys: two months after the game's release, we'll get a $6 DLC with a sensible outfit.

I would pay Actual Money if I could use her original XIII outfit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I would pay Actual Money if I could use her original XIII outfit.

It's sad that this is what we've been driven to, but I would absolutely be in this boat as well. :sigh::hf::sigh:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I'm going to bet on FFV iOS being either a straight port of FFVGBA or a FFIVPSP-style graphical upgrade.

I think gba would be too cheap. It will likely be like FFIV PSP.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I'm not even sure if it's worth mentioning at this point... But after checking the combat a little more I think I've noticed vaguely how it works.

Above the green HP meter you can see 3 teal colored meters shown as being 80/80. Those meters seem to be a sort of "action gauge" dedicated to each paradigm you have. Every attack Lightning does drains the meter (and pretty quickly judging from the trailer) of her active stance, and switching away to another stance will refill that stances meter while its benched. Sort of like a... fighting game?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly would prefer a straight port. I don't like the updated graphics, to be honest.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd totally buy a version with a Complete Collection-esque graphics overhaul, sure.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
God drat I'm excited for Lightning Returns. Not the battle system I expected after what they talked about, but it sure looks like Paradigm Shift retooled, and I'm fine with that.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Android version to be released in the US coming soon in 2014.

Love this :allears:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So....does this mean a FF6 remake is coming any time soon? Because that's the only Final Fantasy remake I'm really interested in.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Oh, they're using the same battle system they did in the last two games except now there's only one character. Didn't previous interviews say that it was going to be more action oriented? From the looks of this, we still won't have any movement control over Lightning in battle. Squeenix really does love sticking with a formula which was a downgrade to begin with.

I'll probably still end up buying this and completing it while constantly convincing myself that it will get better in a few hours. :cripes:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you didn't like XIII's battle system, I have no drat clue why you played XIII-2. Like, the selling point was the removal of linearity and poo poo, not a whole brand new battle system.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is it just me, or does the town look almost exactly like Vigrid, from Bayonetta?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Francois Kofko posted:

If you didn't like XIII's battle system, I have no drat clue why you played XIII-2. Like, the selling point was the removal of linearity and poo poo, not a whole brand new battle system.

To be honest, I went into FFXIII-2 knowing that the combat would be the weakest part of it. I was mostly sold on the time travel mechanics and I was hoping for a more Chrono Trigger style of world exploration, where you could go to any area in any point of time and there would be clever side-quests involving the manipulation of that. I can usually ignore RPG combat if there are other elements that I enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Renoistic posted:

Is it just me, or does the town look almost exactly like Vigrid, from Bayonetta?

To me it looks like every semi-fantasy, pseudo-european town that appears in everything, ever.