Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Hm, I am impressed by this fiction. I have no issues with stories being dark - it was, after all, an increasing trend in the Harry Potter novels as Harry grew older. Harry has grown, and so have I... Bring on the darkness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

VanSandman posted:

It doesn't help that the author is apparently a psychopathic scammer. Allegedly.
Hadn't heard this before what's the buzz?

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008

VanSandman posted:

It doesn't help that the author is apparently a psychopathic scammer. Allegedly.

Is it bad my first though was Cassandra Clare?

(please someone explain how she got published)

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

njbeachbum posted:

The problem is that Hufflepuff isn't defined at all except they are "loyal" and apparently where all the unsortable kids go. I feel like JK needed a fourth house, she had good, evil, and smart, and she needed the fourth house for the "other kids".

I will say that that the one fan fiction story (Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness) does a much better job of describing hufflepuff's strengths than JK did.

That is one of the things I wish was different about the books it was the characterization (or lack of) of the people in slytherin and hufflepuff. It would have been nice to have some slytherin students in the DA or something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

njbeachbum posted:

Hadn't heard this before what's the buzz?

Since it'd be a derail I PM'd you about it instead.

I, too, did not like how all Slytherin students were evil.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VanSandman posted:

Since it'd be a derail I PM'd you about it instead.

I, too, did not like how all Slytherin students were evil.

Slughorn.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also Pettigrew was a gryffindor

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Slughorn and Snape are the only two morally ambiguous Slytherins. Slughorn really is the perfect characterization of what more Slytherin characters could have been: Not evil, but calculating and self-serving. Makes for a much more multidimensional character than someone who's just a bully.
This is one of the reasons why Half-Blood Prince stands out for me, I think. Not only does it introduce Slughorn, but it makes this distinction really clear for Draco, too. Up until this point, it's been easy to identify Draco as just being the twisted kid, but in HPB, he's forced to confront the type of behavior that comes with a life in (for lack of a better phrase) organized crime. He's never been crazy about Dumbledore, but that doesn't mean he wants to murder an old man, either. He spends the entire book grappling with the task he's been given, making somewhat half-assed attempts to pull off the job because while he is primarily self-serving, he doesn't want to take that final step into being a total monster.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

Regulus and Tonks's mom were good Slytherins.

Anyway, I find it kind of ridiculous how much importance the fans give to the Houses. Isn't it a point in the books that they shouldn't matter so much? They're basically just there to facilitate integration and scheduling. I got the impression that once you've left school, no one cares anymore. We don't learn about most adult characters' houses, and if most Death Eaters were Slytherins it's because they formed a clique in school and kept together after graduation.

Another thing that baffles me is why Hufflepuff gets so much flak instead of Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff qualities are loyalty, hard work and fairness, don't know how you can complain about that. And look at the characters distribution: in Hufflepuff you've got Tonks, Cedric Diggory, a bunch of all right kids in Harry's year and the goddamn jolly Fat Friar. In Ravenclaw, you have Cho Chang, her SNEAK friend, Moaning Myrtle, Quirrell and a whinny ghost. There's also Luna, but the other Ravenclaw students were always bullying her so gently caress them, really.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bone grass posted:

Regulus and Tonks's mom were good Slytherins.

Regulus' mother was the psycho portrait in Grimmauld Place - he was Sirius' brother. I don't think we know to which house Andromeda belonged.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

geeves posted:

Regulus' mother was the psycho portrait in Grimmauld Place - he was Sirius' brother. I don't think we know to which house Andromeda belonged.

I mean Regulus himself was arguably good. As for Andromeda, it's stated a few times that all the Blacks were in Slytherin except Sirius.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Bone grass posted:

Another thing that baffles me is why Hufflepuff gets so much flak instead of Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff qualities are loyalty, hard work and fairness, don't know how you can complain about that. And look at the characters distribution: in Hufflepuff you've got Tonks, Cedric Diggory, a bunch of all right kids in Harry's year and the goddamn jolly Fat Friar. In Ravenclaw, you have Cho Chang, her SNEAK friend, Moaning Myrtle, Quirrell and a whinny ghost. There's also Luna, but the other Ravenclaw students were always bullying her so gently caress them, really.

People who self identify as nerds and geeks tend to believe that they are smarter than the average person and so most believe that they would have been in Ravenclaw. Since they have identify themselves as Ravenclaws, they are less likely to want to criticize the house in any way. Also, not very many people identify as Hufflepuffs simply because there are few major characters that are in school with Harry that are Hufflepuffs. They sort of exist as background characters until Tonks and Diggory.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
The thing is, you have to identify what is less appealing about the house just as much as its strengths. For example, Gryffindors are brave, but they're also often reckless and unnecessarily put themselves in harms way -- just look at how many Gryffindors become martyrs, or come close to it.
Ravenclaws can be just as bad. They're generally proud, and almost cutthroat and elitist in how much they prize cleverness over anything else. I think that Ravenclaws are closer to Slytherins than any other house, the biggest difference being that they don't use their intelligence to Machiavellian ends. They're crafty, calculating lateral thinkers, but they apply that to any situation, not just self-serving ones.
Hufflepuff gets picked on for being the "leftovers" house, but I don't think that's really the case. Unlike any of the other three houses, Hufflepuffs care mostly about doing the right thing, being fair and helping society. It's easy to single them out as weak for that, but I get the sense that Hufflepuffs are generally just civil, egalitarian types.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hufflepuffs are, well, kinda boring. They don't seek out dramatic or interesting situations or strive for greatness; they're just content to keep doin' what they're doin'. Those kinds of people are fine - the world needs them - but they're not usually the stuff of stories.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bone grass posted:

Ravenclaws are "Smart, but assholes", Slytherins are "cunning, and assholes", and Griffindors are "Brave, but assholes". Hufflepuff doesn't really have a gimmick other than "the average guy, and sometimes an rear end in a top hat".

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I always thought that Huffs were the heart.

Griffs are cocky.

Also I miss these books. There just isn't any series that's as fun and inventive and atmospheric. Maybe Disc world.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Just to add my 0.02$ to the houses discussion, but isn't it the case that Hufflepuff is supposed to be the house for straight-and-narrow type of characters? The way I imagine it, Gryffindor's are supposed to be the good characters who are more likely to step up, or even put themselves into harm's way, to stand up for what they believe in whereas Hufflepuff's are those who are good at heart but more likely to be follower types. And while Hufflepuff and Gryffindor are for "good", compassionate people, both Ravenclaw and Slytherin are supposed to be more around the "neutral" point on the good-versus-evil axis if I were to put it in terms of D&D's alignment system, at least according to what I took away from it :shrug:

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I guess this is an easier way to show my feelings on this:

Griff
Pro: bravery, friendship, loyalty and strength
Con: pride, reckless

Raven
Pro: cunning, intelligent
Con: cocky, clique-ey

Slytherin
Pro: cunning, deception, manipulation, powerful
Con: vicious, bullying, emotionally pessimistic and negative or just evil

Huff
Pro: loyalty, friendship, heart, emotionally optimistic
Con: less intelligent, less brave

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Nohtenki posted:

Is it bad my first though was Cassandra Clare?

(please someone explain how she got published)

She's bffs with Holly Black. Which is a shame, because Black is a decent writer.

PrBacterio posted:

Just to add my 0.02$ to the houses discussion, but isn't it the case that Hufflepuff is supposed to be the house for straight-and-narrow type of characters? The way I imagine it, Gryffindor's are supposed to be the good characters who are more likely to step up, or even put themselves into harm's way, to stand up for what they believe in whereas Hufflepuff's are those who are good at heart but more likely to be follower types. And while Hufflepuff and Gryffindor are for "good", compassionate people, both Ravenclaw and Slytherin are supposed to be more around the "neutral" point on the good-versus-evil axis if I were to put it in terms of D&D's alignment system, at least according to what I took away from it :shrug:
I think that's really over thinking it. Like really, really over thinking it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't think it's so much as about character traits (of course, it partly is), but about what you value. Harry got a choice, remember, to be in Slytherin, but he chose not to define himself by cunning and deception, despite the fact that he's pretty good at it. So I would say that Hufflepuffs can be just as brave/reckless, intellegent/cocky, cunning/vicious as the students in the other houses, but they choose not to value those traits, instead valuing loyalty and friendship above all else. So the students aren't grouped by what traits they possess (they're kids, "sometimes we sort too soon" and all that), but what traits they value. And then they accentuate those traits and sometimes don't get to be well-rounded people. :v:

Although I thought it was really dumb that no Slytherins stayed behind at first at the Battle of Hogwarts. :mad: It's like Slytherins were given all of this moral ambiguity behind them (maybe being cunning isn't so bad!) in Prince and then it only sort of got resolved.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Autumncomet posted:

Although I thought it was really dumb that no Slytherins stayed behind at first at the Battle of Hogwarts. :mad: It's like Slytherins were given all of this moral ambiguity behind them (maybe being cunning isn't so bad!) in Prince and then it only sort of got resolved.

To be fair, most of the houses are judged based on the people in Harry's year. Apart from Quidditch matches, I don't think Slytherin students from other years are ever mentioned, and if they are it's certainly not in great detail. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were all sons of Death Eaters already, and it's sort of implied that Pansy Parkinson had a crush on Malfoy or something. so they were always more likely to be "evil". I think it was Parkinson that got the Slytherins kicked out during the Battle of Hogwarts, too. So, I think it's fair to say that the majority of Slytherin house could be quite normal and not evil.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Unless I'm just getting my fanon mixed in, Blaise and Greengrass always seemed to be... snippy, but not particularly aggressive or evil.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Daphne Greengrass is never seen and only mentioned once, in a list of names. Preceding Harry in an examination doesn't really strike me as a character trait.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Huh, weird.
Way too much fanfic.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Are we allowed to talk about JK Rowling's newest book, Casual Vacancy? Or is it in another thread?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bean_shadow posted:

Are we allowed to talk about JK Rowling's newest book, Casual Vacancy? Or is it in another thread?

I'm not sure if there is another thread for it (you could always create one if there isn't), but I think it would be best not to discuss it in this thread because there might be people who haven't read it and the spoilers, etc. would be a pain in the rear end.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
I just caught up with this fan fiction that was linked earlier in the thread and I must say it's really, really good. The story and character development is going in a very interesting direction and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Which will be in about 10 years given how sporadically the author updates the thing.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Bone grass posted:

Mind your tongue, I'm sure I'm not the only Ravenclaw here... :pedophiles:

Are you a Hufflepuff yourself? It would be interesting to find that people of a certain house were quick to praise the positive qualities associated with their house above those of others, and also point out flaws in those of other "rival" houses. I acknowledge there are some Ravenclaws who use their cleverness in less-than-admirable ways - and some that don't seem to have much cleverness at all (I find Cho Chang somewhat pathetic). No offense to Hufflepuff but I must say I do find the characteristics of Hufflepuff to be the least interesting of the houses, and it seems that most fans agree with me.

Ravenclaws also have to solve a riddle for dorm access. :krad:

Fake edit: And "whiny ghost" is a harsh way to describe The Grey Lady, who is quite a badass character.

Real edit:

bengraven posted:

I guess this is an easier way to show my feelings on this:

Griff
Pro: bravery, friendship, loyalty and strength
Con: pride, reckless

Raven
Pro: cunning, intelligent
Con: cocky, clique-ey

Slytherin
Pro: cunning, deception, manipulation, powerful
Con: vicious, bullying, emotionally pessimistic and negative or just evil

Huff
Pro: loyalty, friendship, heart, emotionally optimistic
Con: less intelligent, less brave

I approve of this.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 13, 2012

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Thanfiction, who wrote Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness, linked earlier in the thread, wrote his thoughts out on the Houses/Sorting here. http://andythanfiction.tumblr.com/post/32450592797/a-comprehensive-daydverse-guide-to-sorting

It probably makes a bit more sense if you've read the fanfic in question (because a lot of it is all to do with the canon he sticks to for the story), but I think he made a few decent points. Like it was said before, he portrayed Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws quite well in the fanfiction.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 13, 2012

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Mind your tongue, I'm sure I'm not the only Ravenclaw here... :pedophiles:

Are you a Hufflepuff yourself? It would be interesting to find that people of a certain house were quick to praise the positive qualities associated with their house above those of others, and also point out flaws in those of other "rival" houses. I acknowledge there are some Ravenclaws who use their cleverness in less-than-admirable ways - and some that don't seem to have much cleverness at all (I find Cho Chang somewhat pathetic). No offense to Hufflepuff but I must say I do find the characteristics of Hufflepuff to be the least interesting of the houses, and it seems that most fans agree with me.

I took the Pottermore test twice, got Slytherin the first time and (funnily enough) Ravenclaw the second. I do think Hufflepuff has the most admirable traits, however boring they might be. But anyway like I said earlier, I don't think the house you're sorted in matters much or that it really says something about you / your personality.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Considering one of Slytherin's big things was ambition, I think it would have been interesting to have seen some Slytherins with ambitions beyond being the best henchman. Like none of them wanted to kill Voldemort to prove how badass they were or because they totally deserved to be King Evilguy with legions of monster followers or because they were gonna make a totally revolutionary new wizard society and he was in their way. They were all just like "Well he's clearly our new god, I say we get on his good side."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Considering one of Slytherin's big things was ambition, I think it would have been interesting to have seen some Slytherins with ambitions beyond being the best henchman. Like none of them wanted to kill Voldemort to prove how badass they were or because they totally deserved to be King Evilguy with legions of monster followers or because they were gonna make a totally revolutionary new wizard society and he was in their way. They were all just like "Well he's clearly our new god, I say we get on his good side."

With how Durmstang was talked up it seems like Slytherin in Hogwarts is more of a safety school for rear end in a top hat wizards.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Methods of Rationality is some surreal bullshit. Wizard People Dear Readers is more realistic.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Sarkozymandias posted:

Methods of Rationality is some surreal bullshit. Wizard People Dear Readers is more realistic.
MOR is fairly typical of the kind of person that is its author, i.e., nerdy SF readers who take all that stuff far too seriously and fervently believe the singularity is just around the corner because they are so much more Rational (with a capital R) than everybody else, but for all that it's still a surprisingly entertaining read.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PrBacterio posted:

MOR is fairly typical of the kind of person that is its author, i.e., nerdy SF readers who take all that stuff far too seriously and fervently believe the singularity is just around the corner because they are so much more Rational (with a capital R) than everybody else, but for all that it's still a surprisingly entertaining read.

...Until you get to the part where Harry and Draco are casually discussing raping Luna Lovegood. At age 11.

MoR goes to some loving insane places, and its version of Harry is probably the most insufferable author mouthpiece I've ever seen. No 11 year old talks or acts the way Harry does in that story.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zore posted:

...Until you get to the part where Harry and Draco casually discussing raping Luna Lovegood. At age 11.

MoR goes to some loving insane places, and its version of Harry is probably the most insufferable author mouthpiece I've ever seen. No 11 year old talks or acts the way Harry does in that story.
I've read the entire thing, so I know the scene you're referring to. And it was Draco who was casually discussing it, Harry was appropriately offended by Draco's statements (in the original books, Draco was depicted as somewhat of an ambiguous character from which MOR takes the view of Draco as a bad guy, or more precisely, as a bad guy in the making, in that part). As to the "most insufferable author mouthpiece I've ever seen:" This is precisely true and also what makes MOR such an entertaining read, and what I meant in my earlier post about the kind of people who exhibit that kind of thinking and the author being very typical of that. The whole fun in reading MOR is how it's a really enlightening window into that kind of thinking and what makes those people tick.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Zore posted:

...Until you get to the part where Harry and Draco are casually discussing raping Luna Lovegood. At age 11.

:eng101: Harry has the soul-shard of an immortal evil genius wizard lodged in his brain.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the only thing more disturbing than the MOR thing is how some people think it is unironically the best thing they've read.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Bone grass posted:

Yeah, I mean, I get that the Hufflepuff hate thing comes from the fact that the house is for "all the rest" so people largely consider it the reject bin but with traits like loyalty, diligence, fairness, unity, and tolerance, I always thought Hufflepuff was pretty close to Gryffindor as far as moral alignments, more so than Ravenclaw at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you want to run with D&D alignments, I always saw Hufflepuff as the Lawful Good, almost to a fault. Remember McMillan? The one with a stick up his rear end about being polite and pompous? Gryffindor seemed to run from Neutral Good through Chaotic Good with a side helping of Lawful Neutral. Ravenclaw seems to be most of the neutral spectrum, and Slytherin (at least as written) is Lawful Evil through Neutral Evil.

• Locked thread