Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really need to get off my rear end and start hiking more.

This here is truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really need to get off my rear end and start hiking more.

Hiking is the best.

This picture is not:

Some volcano, taken about a week ago from the summit of Agung Mountain, Bali, Indonesia. Took about 6.5 hours of hiking through the night to reach the summit by sunrise. A totally overcast sunrise. Wonderful. :(

stratdax fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 12, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I saw a ridiculous sunset yesterday. The temperature spiked above zero which resulted in some weird water vapour effect rising off of the snow-covered field just as the sun went down. I have never seen this effect before and I wish I had filmed it instead of taking pictures because it's just not coming through well in the pictures :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something sort of like that happens occasionally in the midwest.. if there's patches of snow on the ground and we get an above-freezing morning with high humidity, little pockets of fog will hover over the snow. What I assume happens is that when moisture heavy air passes over the snow it cools and starts to condense.

Never had a camera on hand when I see it but it looks pretty neat.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Picnic Princess posted:

This here is truth.

Do you do any winter hiking? I have a pair of snow shoes and soon will have a light weight camera setup.

The thing I need most to go hiking is friends that actually will go instead of being hungover all weekend.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Demon_Corsair posted:

The thing I need most to go hiking is friends that actually will go instead of being hungover all weekend.

This is the sad truth. Its also nice if they don't bitch the whole time if you do get them to go.

See if you can find any clubs or community groups in your area that do open group hikes/snowshoes. I know of a couple near me that do a weekly thing with a summer sport and a winter sport and it's a great way to get into it. If you're in school there's probably an outdoor club that does something similar.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I know I've bailed on our recent gatherings but I seem to have settled into work better now. I'd be up for some sweet photography hiking.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do you do any winter hiking? I have a pair of snow shoes and soon will have a light weight camera setup.

Usually not. I'm in university, so my winter weekends usually get reserved for working. I have no student debt so far, and intend to keep it that way! I also have the problem of no one wanting to go. I have quite a few god friends who'll go out with me during the summer, but one snowflake and they chicken out. Everyone thought I was completely nuts when I did that camping trip on my own in October. I posted some photos from it earlier in the thread.

Speaking of which:

InternetJunky posted:

I saw a ridiculous sunset yesterday. The temperature spiked above zero which resulted in some weird water vapour effect rising off of the snow-covered field just as the sun went down. I have never seen this effect before and I wish I had filmed it instead of taking pictures because it's just not coming through well in the pictures :(

That's exactly what happened when I was hiking out in the early morning at Barrier Lake. It's really amazing to witness.

Oh, if you're in the Calgary area, check out the Calgary Outdoor Club. I've seen them post events for photography trips and slow-paced trips for beginners, which might also work in your favour.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

InternetJunky posted:

That's pretty neat. It's something called sublimation when something, like water, changes from a solid directly to a vapor state. That's what you see with dry ice (CO2).

With water it happens under very specific temperature and pressure conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love hiking in the winter. :) I also wish I had more friends that wanted to hike when it's cold.

Couple of pics from my last hike up north

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So over the last two months I've driven across Australia horizontally (Perth->Sydney), started a new life over here, considered my options and now want to gently caress off to Europe. So I haven't been posting much, but I HAVE been shooting.

About 400-500km out from Perth, not far (i.e. 90km) from Coolgardie.

Day3-4-3 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Sunset over the Nullabor Hotel, notice the complete lack of...anything.

Day3-4-9 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

A sunset over a hill in Canberra. ACT.

Canberra Sunset by TimFPictures, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Casu Marzu posted:

I love hiking in the winter. :) I also wish I had more friends that wanted to hike when it's cold.

Couple of pics from my last hike up north

:sigh: I really want to go outside. This is what it looks like here now.

But I can't. I have to work work work now so that I can afford to take photos in 6 other countries by June. I may find an excuse to get out anyway a few times anyway. Stress is a great excuse, right? I know I'm gonna be stressed! I have a heavy semester coming up! :haw:

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
For everyone looking to hike, Meetup.com has some awesome groups. You should look and see if there's anything in your area - it's how I got involved in a hiking and community service group, and made some local photographer friends.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Found some lovely hoar frost today:

Bit of an abstract landscape:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
They're nice, but they all look severely underexposed on my monitor. How's your histogram?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Snow tends to make auto-exposure break down, I believe. Basically the camera wants the snow to be 18% gray, and so it underexposes a whole load.
Two weeks ago I went out to take some snow photos, and brought my F90x and incident light meter. I checked that the light meter was measuring correct in non-snow scenes with a DSLR, but out in the snow, the F90x's AE consistently wanted to shoot about 2 stops faster than the incident metering showed.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

I forgot how painful on the hands it is to shoot in the middle of winter. I've tried so many different gloves but none seem to be warm enough and still nimble enough to hold GND filters and fiddle with dials.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

whaam posted:

I forgot how painful on the hands it is to shoot in the middle of winter. I've tried so many different gloves but none seem to be warm enough and still nimble enough to hold GND filters and fiddle with dials.

Yeah, I've tried various purpose-specific gloves as well, they suck. The best thing I've found is just to have normal, serious-winter gloves that you take off and put back on as necessary.

Relatedly, here's evidence of the best camera being the one you have on you. I really wish I'd had something other than a cell phone, but OTOH I'm pleased to have this shot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Re: Gloves

I tend to wear a pair of thinner Mechanix or Oakleys. They aren't great for below zero temps, but they're good enough for in the 20s or 30s. They're also still tin enough that I can operate all the dials on my camera and not have much of an issue getting filters on and off.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I have a pair of Nike cold-weather golf gloves. Good enough for the cold, and they somehow manage to work with capacitance touch screens without resorting to gimmicky metal bits or anything. It's magical fabric, it is.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

drat it's nice, and drat that horizon annoys me.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Casu Marzu posted:

Re: Gloves

I tend to wear a pair of thinner Mechanix or Oakleys. They aren't great for below zero temps, but they're good enough for in the 20s or 30s. They're also still tin enough that I can operate all the dials on my camera and not have much of an issue getting filters on and off.

I've got a pair of these http://www.oakley.com/products/midweight-fleece-glove/94178-001 They're decent for warmth, wouldn't take them when it's below -20, but the shiny bits in the picture are extremely grippy

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

XTimmy posted:

A sunset over a hill in Canberra. ACT.

Canberra Sunset by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Goddamn I hate you :fap: :sigh:

I've been slowly slogging through vacation photos I took in China. Remind me never to take a DSLR and an external hard drive with me again - I almost wish I got an RX100 and limited myself to 64gb or something.

Some of these were taken while travelling via bus; not sure if those few images are good enough to the point that I want to work at cloning out the reflections, but maybe you all can take a look.

Huanglong

DSC_1832 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_1757 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Rural Sichuan

DSC_1136 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Jiuzhaigou Valley

DSC_1359 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_1325 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_1488 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_1582 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_1447 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Usually not. I'm in university, so my winter weekends usually get reserved for working. I have no student debt so far, and intend to keep it that way! I also have the problem of no one wanting to go. I have quite a few god friends who'll go out with me during the summer, but one snowflake and they chicken out. Everyone thought I was completely nuts when I did that camping trip on my own in October. I posted some photos from it earlier in the thread.

Speaking of which:

That's exactly what happened when I was hiking out in the early morning at Barrier Lake. It's really amazing to witness.

Oh, if you're in the Calgary area, check out the Calgary Outdoor Club. I've seen them post events for photography trips and slow-paced trips for beginners, which might also work in your favour.

I don't remember what group it was, but I did a scramble of Hai Ling last spring, and it was an...experience. I should definitely try to find a less hard core group. I almost wish there was more snow since I live 2 minutes from a nature preserve and reservoir.

And if you every need a study break, there are a few dorkroom goons in Calgary and we go out occasionally, so pm me or hop into #creatives and we can definitely set something up. Bragg Creek is super close...

Edit: I guess I can post a landscape while I'm here.

People on hill by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

I do not recommend any sort of hiking with a 4x5 monorail. Luckily I now have a tiny and portable 4x5 field camera. :v:

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 18, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

1st AD posted:

Goddamn I hate you :fap: :sigh:

I've been slowly slogging through vacation photos I took in China. Remind me never to take a DSLR and an external hard drive with me again - I almost wish I got an RX100 and limited myself to 64gb or something.

Not to turn this into a circle jerk or anything but your images loaded before your post and I was all like "oh man outclassed again :sigh:" So I hate you just as equally.

For the price of an RX100 (which is an awesome camera I'll admit) you could probably swing an NEX-f3 or splurge on a NEX-5 if you wanted something more DSLR-ish. It is an awesome camera though.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

1st AD posted:

I've been slowly slogging through vacation photos I took in China.

You need to calm down on the vignetting, the third one is especially heinous. Really nice shots apart from that though :)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't remember what group it was, but I did a scramble of Hai Ling last spring, and it was an...experience. I should definitely try to find a less hard core group. I almost wish there was more snow since I live 2 minutes from a nature preserve and reservoir.

And if you every need a study break, there are a few dorkroom goons in Calgary and we go out occasionally, so pm me or hop into #creatives and we can definitely set something up. Bragg Creek is super close...

Edit: I guess I can post a landscape while I'm here.

People on hill by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

I do not recommend any sort of hiking with a 4x5 monorail. Luckily I now have a tiny and portable 4x5 field camera. :v:

Yeah, take it easy for sure. Ha Ling is a tiny peanut compared to a bunch of the other scrambles out there. But it doesn't lack in the scenery department; I took this when we went up during an evening:

Sorry for the crappy quality, I lost the original :(

But the sunset with the million dollar hailstorm over the prairies was insane. Then we realized we forgot headlamps and flashlights on our way down in the dark and used my camera's LCD screen as a light for the three of us to follow the trail.

I'll keep my options open. I'm betting on this being a heavy semester and I may need some sort of break every now and then to avoid losing my mind completely.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, take it easy for sure. Ha Ling is a tiny peanut compared to a bunch of the other scrambles out there. But it doesn't lack in the scenery department; I took this when we went up during an evening:

Sorry for the crappy quality, I lost the original :(

But the sunset with the million dollar hailstorm over the prairies was insane. Then we realized we forgot headlamps and flashlights on our way down in the dark and used my camera's LCD screen as a light for the three of us to follow the trail.

I'll keep my options open. I'm betting on this being a heavy semester and I may need some sort of break every now and then to avoid losing my mind completely.

We pretty must just post holed our way up the side. It was amusing texting from the top of a mountain though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

My flashlight ran out of batteries at Great Sand Dunes. Turns out the extra AAs I packed didn't work so well in the flashlight that took AAAs. I ended up just walking in an attempted straight line toward the road in a sort of eastward direction. After walking through cactus patches in the dark and hearing what sounded like dozens of not-so distant coyotes howling, I ended up hitting the park's main road a couple miles south of the parking lot. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife forces us to carry led headlamps whenever we go on a hike, even if it's 8 in the morning and we have no intentions of being gone until dusk. Which is probably smart because I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to darkness.. I grew up in Alaska and still half expect there to be enough light to walk by at midnight.

Haven't needed 'em yet, but doesn't hurt to lug the stuff if there's room in the bag I guess. :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

My wife forces us to carry led headlamps whenever we go on a hike, even if it's 8 in the morning and we have no intentions of being gone until dusk. Which is probably smart because I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to darkness.. I grew up in Alaska and still half expect there to be enough light to walk by at midnight.

Haven't needed 'em yet, but doesn't hurt to lug the stuff if there's room in the bag I guess. :v:
I think it's probably sensible to carry some sort of light, even if you don't expect to need it. The petzl e-light is nice for this purpose since it's tiny, or you could even probably get away with a photon keychain light (preferably one that you don't have to push the button continuously on of course), although you would have to hold it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I plan on adding a decent penlight to my camera bag to replace the keychain sized maglight that's in there now. Between that and a green laser pointer I should be all good low light focusing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Demon_Corsair posted:

We pretty must just post holed our way up the side. It was amusing texting from the top of a mountain though.

Yeah, I got a phone call on Mt. Burgess from a friend wondering if I wanted to go to a Chinese buffet. Being able to say "I'm on the summit of a mountain in B.C. right now" and actually be honest was pretty sweet. No clue where the cell tower we were in range of was though.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Laser pointer? Have to try that out.

--

Walking through the bitter cold from Avanos to Goreme in Turkey, because we were too poor to afford the taxi.

The lonely road we walk along by Alan Grainger

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Metalslug posted:

Laser pointer? Have to try that out.

I'm shooting LF so the ground glass is dark as gently caress at night.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Metalslug posted:

Walking through the bitter cold from Avanos to Goreme in Turkey, because we were too poor to afford the taxi.
That's why you take the minibus (mini-boos) like everyone else.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Metalslug posted:

What have you done in post? The dynamic range seems very compressed, but in a HDR sort of way (not making any sense here, I know)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

downtownla by francography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
After far too long, I made it back out to do some landscape work. It rained practically the entire time.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 22, 2012