Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FarmerHank posted:

As a fan of the band Death In June I am scared as poo poo to wear my shirt open and proud because I don't want anyone to pummel me to the ground and call me Nazi. I had no idea every drat symbol he used could be miss read as a flag for Nazis

Can't I just like my neo-folk like everyone else!

This image must have been posted in here once before but here ya go again.

Death in June don't use Nazi symbolism for no reason, they use Nazi symbolism because they are Nazis.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Red white and blue collar. Bo is truly America's Dog (yes he is).

I miss my scottie dog. She was so drat cool.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Rand alPaul posted:

I miss my scottie dog. She was so drat cool.

I love my dogs, but they're German Shepherd Dogs. Their history as a breed is a bit worse than the Scottie, based on their owners, but they're the best damned dogs. A breed that lives to please :3:. The worst thing a scottie had to do was entertain W for its kibble.

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh no, I'm being ignored by a piece of poo poo. I'm certainly not used to people turning away from uncomfortable truths, no sirre. "Maan, it's not that I can't engage in debate with him, he's just sooo not worth it and he hates America so so much, god how full of hate he is, hate hate hate". Yeah, I hate America so much I stay on this yank website about yanks doing yank things, yep, nothing but hate there.

What is it your jesus always said? "Hate the Sin but love the Sinner?"

Oh man, I sure enjoy reading stupid slapfights in the D&D pictures thread. Oh wait, that's all this thread is - that and nazis.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A sexy submarine posted:

Oh man, I sure enjoy reading stupid slapfights in the D&D pictures thread. Oh wait, that's all this thread is - that and nazis.

Well. That, and...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He actually said it about these guys, the Contras:

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/30/world/contra-chief-faults-reagan-statements.html

New York Times, 1988 posted:

In a speech here in March 1985, Mr. Reagan said the Nicaraguan insurgents were ''the moral equal of our Founding Fathers.'' He repeated the comparison in September 1987, when he said that the contras had formed a democratic resistance against tyranny ''in the best tradition of our Founding Fathers.''

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Pope Guilty posted:

Death in June don't use Nazi symbolism for no reason, they use Nazi symbolism because they are Nazis.

I always thought their frontman was gay. Gay Nazis, heh.

quote:

A Pathan child from Kalam Valley, Pakistan

Kalam Valley is a valley along the upper reaches of the Swat River in Swat, in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Victoria Louise was a fox.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

A sexy submarine posted:

Slapfights or Circlejerks, take your pick.

I know.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Well. That, and...

Why does he have to slobber. I'd like him, if not for that.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Slapfights or Circlejerks, take your pick.

I know.
No wonder that dude is having a terrible time on the internet, he's using an Apple tragic mouse.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh boy, here we go

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pope Guilty posted:

It's not like they ever tried to hide it:

We Drive East
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Vopfc9WIk

To hunt the Bolshevik beast
We paid in blood
We paid in blood
For a free Europe
We drive East...
We drive East...

Death of the West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0CUR160Vc

Sons of Europe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmB0fUquC8

"Sons of Europe Arise Arise
Sons of Europe Arise Arise

On a marble slab in Yalta
Mother Europe
Was Slaughtered"

This is the slaughter of Europe according to DiJ

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

FarmerHank posted:

Where you been FarmerHank? The entire neo-folk scene is Nazi. And the martial industrial scene and power electronics.

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 20, 2012

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Napoleon said that her great-something-grandmother Louise (Friedrich Wilhelm III's wife) was "the only real man in Prussia".

(That's an Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun painting by the way. She was something else herself too.)

emfive fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 20, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Guys, could we please get the Totenkopf thread back on track?
Tangent tyme. The only Rococo church north of the Alps is the Asamkirche in Munich. It has some :c00l: gilded skeletons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

rope kid posted:

Tangent tyme. The only Rococo church north of the Alps is the Asamkirche in Munich. It has some :c00l: gilded skeletons.

What about St Emmeram in Regensburg

or the church of St Peter in Oberammergau

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

emfive posted:

What about St Emmeram in Regensburg

or the church of St Peter in Oberammergau

HMMMM weird. The li'l plaque I read there said it was the only one. :negative:

The other thing I thought was kind of... weird is that a large number of the House of Wittelsbach are effectively in the basement of St. Michael's in Munich. You just walk down about 10 steps and hey there are all of the kings of Bavaria.

Also lots of people creep on Ludwig II.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's not a single talented person on the face of the Earth who's right-wing. That's literally some of the most intensely crappy music that I've ever listened to in my entire life. Holy loving poo poo.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/vRYvZ.jpg?1 :nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BUSH 2112 posted:

There's not a single talented person on the face of the Earth who's right-wing. That's literally some of the most intensely crappy music that I've ever listened to in my entire life. Holy loving poo poo.

That's not really true. I'd love to believe but there's some really talented musicians, painters and architects with awful loving ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1eC8EMRq4

Also I'm pretty sure Frank Lloyd Wright was pretty chummy with Ayn Rand :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I think Ted Nugent may be a furry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZwS0ZonEU

He's wearing a tail.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

At the end of the Second World War, the American army confiscated thousands of examples of Nazi art. Deemed unsuitable for public display, they were spirited away to the United States and kept in private. The reason, according to researcher Gregory Maertz, was that these paintings were of such high aesthetic value that they were likely to complicate the official view of Nazism as pure and simple evil.

Though many of these works of art were returned to Germany, their aesthetic power and humanity continue to trouble the authorities. Maertz reports that there are German museums who even today deny the existence of works he has seen in their holdings with his own eyes. For any notion of Nazi compassion, or good Nazi art, confounds our deepest sensibilities and assumptions.

So while the catalogue of the Victoria and Albert Museum’s 2006 exhibition on modernism, “Designing a New World” singled out the Volkswagen as an outstanding specimen of modernist engineering and aesthetic principles, it still betrayed considerable uncertainty about how such an “advanced” and rationally beautiful piece of technology could emanate from a regime based on barbarity and the flight from modernity into rural idylls and fantasies of Aryan supremacy. The tendency has been to highlight the kitsch and vulgarly nostalgic aspects of Nazi art – symbolised by Hitler’s own dreary oeuvre – and separate out and deny the fascist origins of those modernist masterpieces we cherish.

Given the crimes of the Nazis such a manoeuvre is tempting. Tempting, but historically tendentious. Fascist nationalisms like Nazism and Mussolini’s Italian Fascism were never simply about a return to the past, and their sense of culture, of art and of human destiny has far more in common with other forms of 20th-century modernism – modernism that is perpetually fêted and in vogue – than most would like to admit. As Gregory Maertz has written, “mainstream Modernism has been sealed off from ideological and aesthetic contamination by the Third Reich.”

http://newhumanist.org.uk/1415/springtime-for-hitler

Pope Guilty posted:

This is true.

FarmerHank posted:

Sure why not? It seems exhausting (and probably impossible) to force yourself to only enjoy or admire art that is politically progressive. Fascism and the right-wing are not the right ways to go about things, but the best art of any given time is always going to be coming from different points on the spectrum, both left and right. It doesn't have to have a good message for it to be good art, in other words. Yukio Mishima was a great writer, and was also a fascist. And after all, the reverse is true too: A piece of art can have the right message, such as being progressive, while also making for crappy art.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 20, 2012

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Better alternative: listen to Laibach

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Jewish-Australian comedian John Safran trolls the KKK by flying to Kentucky with the made-up aim of joining their ranks. He mentions halfway through the interview that his mother was a Jew and then asks some fairly smartass questions. Pure distilled awkwardness, but still amazing. Turn down your speakers for the first 5 seconds or so as it starts kind of loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJkhsB1jK8

He probably would have been in physical danger if it wasn't for the fact that he had a cameraman with him.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Nazi imagery doesn't make you necessarily a Nazi supporter, early punks used it extensively, Throbbing Gristle appropriated it, and Laibach still does in some form (even if they just make bad dance music now).

Death in June sticker in Married With Children (Christina Applegate 88)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Early punks used it because it pissed off their parents, the generation that fought the Nazis (and in the UK, suffered through the Blitz). That poo poo got knocked off once it became apparent that going around wearing swastikas gives fascists ideas about recruiting you. Laibach and TG used it to mock and satirise fascism.

Laibach's part of an artist's collective called Neue Slowenische Kunst, or NSK, which has issued passports. Some people were able to use them to get out of Bosnia during the 90's when neighboring nations stopped recognizing Bosnia-Herzogovenia's passports.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Pope Guilty posted:

Early punks used it because it pissed off their parents, the generation that fought the Nazis (and in the UK, suffered through the Blitz). That poo poo got knocked off once it became apparent that going around wearing swastikas gives fascists ideas about recruiting you. Laibach and TG used it to mock and satirise fascism.

Laibach's part of an artist's collective called Neue Slowenische Kunst, or NSK, which has issued passports. Some people were able to use them to get out of Bosnia during the 90's when neighboring nations stopped recognizing Bosnia-Herzogovenia's passports.

What is it about the Slovenian avant-garde that makes them so dreamy? :allears:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
So this has been unironically making the rounds on Scandinavian Facebook pages:

Too bad they picked guns from Warhammer 40.000 for their examples. I mean, sure, America is a bit Mad Max, but come on...

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

rope kid posted:

Also lots of people creep on Ludwig II.

Jesus. :stare: For non-German speakers, the right-hand page reads:

"My eagle, my king, my hero. United again, like many, many years ago. You'll never be alone, for you and I are a heart, a soul! I'm always with you and you with me. You've been wronged, scorned, ridiculed. I always understood you, your feelings are mine. You live on in me. Forevermore one person! Your confidence. One heart and one soul, I am (like) you."

So ~~dreamy~~ :allears:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

System Metternich posted:

The coat of arms of the Austrian-Czech noble house of Schwarzenberg, made entirely out of human bones. It can be found in an ossuary in the Czech city of Kutna Hora, where pretty much everything is made of bones.

The world's most :black101: chandelier.

I've been to that ossuary, and it's a pretty spectacular place. According to an essay I read a while ago, such places were actually pretty common in old Europe; there was a familiarity with death that is mostly lost now.

The Douaumont ossuary near Verdun, France. It contains the bones of at least 130,000 unidentified soldiers that fell during the battle of Verdun in 1916. Many areas around Verdun are still full of remains from World War 1 (old bones, unexploded munitions, the remains of old bunkers, etc), even almost a hundred years afterwards. I've read somewhere that the risk of being infected with tetanus is higher around Verdun than in pretty much any other area in France, even now.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

That's not really true. I'd love to believe but there's some really talented musicians, painters and architects with awful loving ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1eC8EMRq4

Also I'm pretty sure Frank Lloyd Wright was pretty chummy with Ayn Rand :(

Ugh. I really liked that ... but I just can't listen to something that was made by neo-Nazis. I prefer this:

To this:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Totenkopf thread isn't perfect, but it's better than a large number of pointless arguments. Sometimes things have to be sacrificed for stability and order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths-Head_Revisited

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Where you been FarmerHank? The entire neo-folk scene is Nazi. And the martial industrial scene and power electronics.

Lost in the fog of noise I guess.

I mean either way, after listening to as much whitehouse as I have I think I'd just be screaming at girls and telling them horrible things.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

y'all should listen to red metal instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYMYEfHjfs

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Omi-Polari posted:

This is true.

Sure why not? It seems exhausting (and probably impossible) to force yourself to only enjoy or admire art that is politically progressive. Fascism and the right-wing are not the right ways to go about things, but the best art of any given time is always going to be coming from different points on the spectrum, both left and right. It doesn't have to have a good message for it to be good art, in other words. Yukio Mishima was a great writer, and was also a fascist. And after all, the reverse is true too: A piece of art can have the right message, such as being progressive, while also making for crappy art.

Speaking of:

Celine.

Knut Hamsun.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Omi-Polari posted:

Sure why not? It seems exhausting (and probably impossible) to force yourself to only enjoy or admire art that is politically progressive. Fascism and the right-wing are not the right ways to go about things, but the best art of any given time is always going to be coming from different points on the spectrum, both left and right.

I disagree with this personally, but as long as you make sure not to give any of those Nazis any money by actually buying their albums or merch I guess it's not that bad.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

So this has been unironically making the rounds on Scandinavian Facebook pages:

Too bad they picked guns from Warhammer 40.000 for their examples. I mean, sure, America is a bit Mad Max, but come on...

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I know for a fact camembert and roquefort are legal in the US.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Yeats, D.H. Lawrence, Mishima, Roy Campbell, Dostoyevsky- I won't suggest Pound. Bellow, Nabokov, Conrad, T.S. Eliot, BORGES- hardly progressive. Carlyle, Mencken, Nietzsche; don't even get me started on pre-modern authors. I am glad I do not have the same compunctions about what art I consume. Besides, most of these artists hate modernity and neo-liberalism too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WR8qoy5BHs

Christian Abbiati. Goalkeeper, soi disant fascista, beats by dre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

I disagree with this personally, but as long as you make sure not to give any of those Nazis any money by actually buying their albums or merch I guess it's not that bad.

In addition to the cheeses, those guns are all either illegal or not actually automatic. So maybe try a different facebook meme.

• Locked thread