Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I remember reading this. It was either in last season's SoA or Justified thread. Kurt didn't refer to Tim by name, but there was no question who he was referring to in his comments.

He totally did. The initial tweets:

Kunt Sutter posted:

The danger with actors wielding too much producorial power is that ultimately vision gets compromised by vanity.

Justified is a great show despite the fact that they had to make Olyphant a producer and deal with his belief that he has some kinda input

And then he got called out on the fact that Chiklis was made a producer on The Shield, to which he basically said "Yeah....well....um....that was DIFFERENT".

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
Yeah, the main difference being that Olyphant's input makes the show look cooler. Chiklis' input makes Chiklis look cooler.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Donny Brook posted:

Yeah, the main difference being that Olyphant's input makes the show look cooler. Chiklis' input makes Chiklis look cooler.
I dont think this makes much sense, how do you know who gave input where?

I heard it was Tims idea to run that gentleman over instead of shooting him, I'd say thats pretty cool thing to do.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm of the mind that if you're on a show with a cool character and that character does something really cool, it makes the show better. Just me.

EDIT: how much % do you think Sutter put into The Shield? Was it a case of other people holding his crazy back, or did it just unravel over time?

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 15, 2012

Kragdar
Jan 27, 2006

I do say boyz, we got us a right an' proper WAAAAGH! on our hands.
I think the only things he really put in were where the Armenians feet were being chopped off. Dude has a weird amputation fetish.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Kragdar posted:

I think the only things he really put in were where the Armenians feet were being chopped off. Dude has a weird amputation fetish.

He came up with the Aceveda being raped storyline.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BrandonGK posted:

He came up with the Aceveda being raped storyline.

Hahah, god I need to rewatch that show. The way his wife reacts towards him after actually made me even feel sympathy for him

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Conquistador posted:

Hahah, god I need to rewatch that show. The way his wife reacts towards him after actually made me even feel sympathy for him

"They made you... suck???"

It just figures Sutter would have been instrumental in writing the rape of a major character and putting himself in as a hitman with a foot fetish.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

suboptimal posted:

It just figures Sutter would have been instrumental in writing the rape of a major character and putting himself in as a hitman with a foot fetish.

I wonder how many of Sutter's pitches did Shawn Ryan shoot down? I'm guessing a lot.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 16, 2012

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

BrandonGK posted:

I wonder how many of Sutter's pitches did Shawn Ryan shoot down. I'm guessing a lot.

"What if I cut off Vick's wife's feet, and then gently caress the foot holes?! Guys this is gold!"

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

suboptimal posted:

I got so sick of that showing up in every "Previously On:" for two bloody seasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Conquistador posted:

Yeah, I'm going through a rewatch with my girlfriend (her first time). We're only at season 2 right now, but I was so put-off (during my original watch) by how Lady Aceveda reacts to what David had to do when he had a gun to his head that I briefly mentioned how much I can't stand her. It really makes no sense.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I'm going through a rewatch with my girlfriend (her first time). We're only at season 2 right now, but I was so put-off (during my original watch) by how Lady Aceveda reacts to what David had to do when he had a gun to his head that I briefly mentioned how much I can't stand her. It really makes no sense.

It does when you remember that a common theme through all of Kurt Sutter's writing appears to involve a cuckold/humiliation fetish.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Guess who's going to bro-walk his way onto 3D screens in a 300ft robot deathmachine.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Guess who's going to bro-walk his way onto 3D screens in a 300ft robot deathmachine.
Stringer Bell!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

cornface posted:

It does when you remember that a common theme through all of Kurt Sutter's writing appears to involve a cuckold/humiliation fetish.

The first episode Sutter wrote for The Shield ended with Dutch watching helplessly as Danny, his unrequited crush, made out with Vic Mackey.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BrandonGK posted:

The first episode Sutter wrote for The Shield ended with Dutch watching helplessly as Danny, his unrequited crush, made out with Vic Mackey.

He also wrote the episode where Danny and her partner catch some bloke perving through a window, only to find out that he lives there and is watching his wife gently caress some random guy.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Currently on Episode 12 Season 5. I can not wait until this poo poo ends. I regret getting this deep into this show. But I can't stop...what's wrong with me. :qq:

Oh here we go again. Lockdown the m/c, get everyones families in, the Irish be out to get us. :downsbravo:

This thing is like a soap opera. It seriously could have no ending, and go on for years if the writers keep dancing the plot twists and story arcs around like this.

Only a matter of time before John Teller himself comes back to the club. "The night of the accident...that wasn't me. That was my twin brother." :cue some dramatic music and all that poo poo:

S5 Done. gently caress you Gemma, and gently caress you Sutter.

Flatscan posted:

He also wrote the episode where Danny and her partner catch some bloke perving through a window, only to find out that he lives there and is watching his wife gently caress some random guy.

Did he happen to write the episode about the guy with the enormous stockpile of jars of cum in the fridge?

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 18, 2012

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the shield is pretty decent, i'm only a few episodes into season two, though. sutter must've ruined his pants when he read the women's shelter script

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

BrandonGK posted:

This happens again in SoA when Jax and Tara have sex within feet (not to mention eyeline) of his corpse before the body's even cold.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ghostnuke posted:

"What if I cut off Vick's wife's feet, and then gently caress the foot holes?! Guys this is gold!"

Reading this through the voice of your avatar.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BrandonGK posted:

I wonder how many of Sutter's pitches did Shawn Ryan shoot down? I'm guessing a lot.

Sutter: "Hey, let's go full tilt crazy and slowly turn Dutch into a serial killer."
Ryan : "No."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dead Snoopy posted:

Sutter: "Hey, let's go full tilt crazy and slowly turn Dutch into a serial killer."
Ryan : "No."

I wonder if he is the one who came up with the cat scene.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if he came during the cat scene.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

basx posted:

He certainly did during the famous hand grenade scene. :cry:

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

bobkatt013 posted:

poo poo. I forgot about the cat.

for those who are interested, apparantly Dutchboy is in a new series, Last Resort.

I've only seen a commercial for it, so I can't say if it's any good, but Shawn Ryan is behind it so it might be worth a watch.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Donny Brook posted:

for those who are interested, apparantly Dutchboy is in a new series, Last Resort.

I've only seen a commercial for it, so I can't say if it's any good, but Shawn Ryan is behind it so it might be worth a watch.

The pilot is good, the rest of it is varying degrees of loving awful.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's already canceled. And it's not great. Although I only watched the first couple episodes.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Donny Brook posted:

poo poo. I forgot about the cat.

I don't think it's loving awful but it's definitely the last show on my DVR list that I'll watch. Which means I'm about 4 episodes behind because there are better shows out there and I'm not hurt it's canceled. If it's a rainy day and you have nothing else to do during the Christmas hiatus give it a ago but don't get attached to it. It wasn't a bad premise for a show but it didn't work out as well as I'm sure it did in their heads.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

KilGrey posted:

I don't think it's loving awful but it's definitely the last show on my DVR list that I'll watch. Which means I'm about 4 episodes behind because there are better shows out there and I'm not hurt it's canceled. If it's a rainy day and you have nothing else to do during the Christmas hiatus give it a ago but don't get attached to it. It wasn't a bad premise for a show but it didn't work out as well as I'm sure it did in their heads.

I have the next 12 days off, and thanks to this thread, I decided to rewatch The Shield.

Despite my raging hate-boner for Kurt Sutter, I gotta admit that Margos is a pretty badass badass.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

maffew buildings posted:

the shield is pretty decent, i'm only a few episodes into season two, though. sutter must've ruined his pants when he read the women's shelter script

The Shield is great. Watched it years ago, rewatching it now for the first time.

Donny Brook posted:

I have the next 12 days off, and thanks to this thread, I decided to rewatch The Shield.

Despite my raging hate-boner for Kurt Sutter, I gotta admit that Margos is a pretty badass badass.

What's up, Shield buddy :hfive:

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

richardfun posted:

What's up, Shield buddy :hfive:

Putting season 1 disc 2 in the player right now. :cheers:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

basx posted:

I heard the dude can't have an orgasm unless a cat dies.

Flatscan posted:

The pilot is good, the rest of it is varying degrees of loving awful.

It's like The Event all over again, but worse.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Last Resort filmed a scene on my street. they blocked off my apartment's driveway for it. gently caress Last Resort (Dutch is awesome though)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So I just marathoned this show with some friends. Started off okay, but like seasons 3 till now just got worse and worse.

What is Kurt Sutter's deal? I try not to judge the show too harshly on it's treatment of women and minorities because of the setting and characters, but goddamn this is a really misogynistic and racist show.

The way they handled Juice's story was poo poo, "welp being black doesn't really matter but we're still going to hold this over your head and also we're not going to change the rules because it might upset people, hold on while I conspire to murder Clay." Oh and has there been a single woman on the show who hasn't been beaten up raped shot or otherwise abused? Holy gently caress.

Also Kurt Sutter jerked off and I watched. I can't unsee this.

I kind of wish this show ends with everybody dying brutally and then that weird assistant attorney from season 4 will come back and make spergy observations about everything.

maffew buildings posted:

Last Resort filmed a scene on my street. they blocked off my apartment's driveway for it. gently caress Last Resort (Dutch is awesome though)

Terrible show, at least it's cancelled now.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

1st AD posted:

Oh and has there been a single woman on the show who hasn't been beaten up raped shot or otherwise abused? Holy gently caress.

I don't remember anything bad happening to Piney's ex wife but we haven't seen her in a couple seasons so she's probably been killed by Clay.:shrug:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Ahh, a relaxing Christmas: had some pie, watched some fireworks, caught the series finale of Leverage...let's tuck into a few threads on SA.

1st AD posted:

Also Kurt Sutter jerked off and I watched. I can't unsee this.

Goddammit! :suicide:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

on season five of the shield...any time there's overt racism or violence towards women i just assume sutter was the writer. gently caress that dude. actually scratch that that's sort of his deal

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

1st AD posted:

Terrible show, at least it's cancelled now.

Is there a TVIV thread for that show, because I haven't found one and I've expressly left the couch halfway through the first episode to mock it on the internet and now I find myself without an outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506749

Be warned; a non-trivial number of idiots enjoy this show a lot.

• Locked thread