Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I love bad kickstarters of home made family games:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59075337/sea-horse-race-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't really say whether the cards are balanced (instinct says no)
Impatient is basically an "I win" card. It borders on needing to be removed.

edit: We do like Epic Spell Wars in spite of it's ability to screw you on the draw because you get to do Brian Blessed impression when casting spells.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 20, 2012

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Colon V posted:

Alright, one last bother. Can I get general yay/nay and impressions on any of the following games? Castle Ravenloft, Battlestations!, Gloom, Epic Spell War.

The first one was recommended by this thread, the third by a friend, the fourth I got interested in because of the Shut Up and Sit Down review, and the second because I heard it was basically a tabletop FTL?

Castle Ravenloft (and the other games in the series by extension) is a yea from me. It's basically a race to the end of the dungeon before your HP runs out from a constant stream of enemies and traps. Decent replayability and if you like it, you can intermix parts of all the games. Also nice unpainted minis.

Don't know much about the others, although I think Tabletop ran an episode with Gloom in it if you want to see how it plays.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Colon V posted:

Alright, one last bother. Can I get general yay/nay and impressions on any of the following games? Castle Ravenloft, Battlestations!, Gloom, Epic Spell War.

The first one was recommended by this thread, the third by a friend, the fourth I got interested in because of the Shut Up and Sit Down review, and the second because I heard it was basically a tabletop FTL?

Gloom has two things going for it: the potential for amusing narrative as you give them unhappy lives, and the novelty of transparent cards covering up some (but possibly not all) of the things beneath them. If you don't play with people who would do the former, the novelty of the latter wears off and then it's just an ok card game.

Castle Ravenloft is cooperative, repetitive, and sometimes challenging, comes with a lot of unpainted plastic mans and not a lot of theme in its board or card artwork, and is "fun enough". In my experience, the people most likely to dislike it are fans of deeper dungeon crawls and/or full RPG experiences.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tekopo posted:

"People of different back grounds, different races, and different ages ranging from 4 to 74. The game has been played over 300 times and everyone who has played it wants to buy it and they keep asking how soon will it be out. It has been over 2 years now since I seriously starting making this game a reality."

It looks like Candy Land + 1 hour. I guess one thing going for it is that people of all races like to play it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have a question regarding Chaos in the Old World that I haven't been able to find the answer to.

When Old World cards were being resolved, one stated that a corruption token must be removed from a particular region. The corruption token being removed had provided our Nurgle player with a dial advancement token. Now since dial advancement was not resolved yet, we weren't sure if the corruption token removal required us to remove the Nurgle player's dial advancement token as well.

So the question is when a dial advancement token is placed (but not resolved), is it set in stone or subject to change?

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 20, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tekopo posted:

"Dice Cards" was my favorite of these.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Colon V posted:

Ravenloft - for $28 from Amazon it's a big thumbs up, especially if you're transitioning from simpler games.

Battlestations: No. Get Space Alert instead.

Gloom: Thematic but overall meh. Better than Munchkin but that's a low bar to beat.

Epic Spell War: Sounds better than Gloom. I hear it runs a bit long for what should be a silly game though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Ramsus posted:

I have a question regarding Chaos in the Old World that I haven't been able to find the answer to.

When Old World cards were being resolved, one stated that a corruption token must be removed from a particular region. The corruption token being removed had provided our Nurgle player with a dial advancement token. Now since dial advancement was not resolved yet, we weren't sure if the corruption token removal required us to remove the Nurgle player's dial advancement token as well.

So the question is when a dial advancement token is placed (but not resolved), is it set in stone or subject to change?

It's locked in. The dial token was earnt by the corruption but is not tied to it. If Nurgle got to place the corruption, he keeps the dial token even if the corruption is later removed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ramsus posted:

I am not a rules monger, but to echo Agent F, I would say that Nurgle keeps his dial advancement because he placed the two corruption tokens. It is just that one is simply removed later, but that doesn't negate the fact that two were placed. Also, man, don't gently caress with Nurgle's dial advancement tokens, it's not like he's winning that way anyway :smith:

Flash Point Fire Rescue: 2nd Edition is $23.53 on Amazon. I don't know a thing about this game except that it is sort of like Pandemic maybe? It seems popular enough, but that's no guarantee that it is good. Unique theme, at the very least.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

GrandpaPants posted:

Flash Point Fire Rescue: 2nd Edition is $23.53 on Amazon. I don't know a thing about this game except that it is sort of like Pandemic maybe? It seems popular enough, but that's no guarantee that it is good. Unique theme, at the very least.

It's not like Pandemic. It's like being a firefighter and saving people from a burning house and William Shatner is narrating and it's awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PlaneGuy posted:

and William Shatner is narrating

I read this and the first thing I realize is that I've been playing Space Alert wrong.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

PlaneGuy posted:

It's not like Pandemic. It's like being a firefighter and saving people from a burning house and William Shatner is narrating and it's awesome.

Wow, I never thought about the Rescue 911 connection. In any case, Flash Point is pretty enjoyable though if you play with any serious power gamers, you're looking at an unfun quarterbacked game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Crackbone posted:

Ravenloft - for $28 from Amazon it's a big thumbs up, especially if you're transitioning from simpler games.

Epic Spell War: Sounds better than Gloom. I hear it runs a bit long for what should be a silly game though.

Not $28 any more, it's not. Back up to $50. :smith:

And I was all revved up to pick up both for just over $50.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Well drat. If it helps anyone, it's the Target in Pembroke Pines, Florida (right by PP mall)

I checked and indeed it appears to be nationwide (had same sales in my store). Thanks!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Colon V posted:

Not $28 any more, it's not. Back up to $50. :smith:

And I was all revved up to pick up both for just over $50.

If it's back up to $50, get Wrath of Ashardlon or Legend of Drizzit instead. Both have new mechanics that improve the gameplay over Ravenloft.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
On the other hand, "Ravenloft" is just two real words stuck together. Those other two are hard to say out loud. :ohdear:

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Epic Spell Wars

I played this on a day when my friends and I were in a very silly mood. I can't really say whether the cards are balanced (instinct says no),

Yeah it's funny because there are some good balancing mechanics but then there are cards that seem to exist only to raise the luck factor like crazy. My favorite is the one that attacks only players who have no treasure; talk about kicking you while you're down. Or the "dead wizard" card that just gives you nothing.

I mean, I get that they want ninety kinds of chaos but the game is already random as hell, you don't need to add to it deliberately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Out of curiosity, how well does FFG tend to keep their LCG expansion packs, specifically LOTR's if it matters, in stock? I realize they haven't gone out of print yet and it's been a while, but you never know the capriciousness of the industry.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of curiosity, how well does FFG tend to keep their LCG expansion packs, specifically LOTR's if it matters, in stock? I realize they haven't gone out of print yet and it's been a while, but you never know the capriciousness of the industry.

Im pretty sure they never go out of print. Since the current distribution model is 3 copies of a single sheet of cards, it's pretty trivial to do a print run of a given pack.

Now whether a given STORE will want to stock older ones is a different story.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I grabbed Wrath Of Ashardalon, the first relatively complex board game I've had since HeroQuest. I'll definitely be expanding my horizons to all sorts of other stuff that I've been missing (from Mice And Mystics to deeper non-dungeon crawls), but for now I'm looking forward to digging into this.

Is there a consensus on the ideal number of heroes to control when I tackle the scenarios solo? I saw a few posts elsewhere stating that the game scales fairly well, but I don't know if later challenges make it a pain to only use one character beyond the introduction. It seems like it would be pretty fun to oversee a two or three hero party, if that would work without being too much to keep track of.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Crackbone posted:

If it's back up to $50, get Wrath of Ashardlon or Legend of Drizzit instead. Both have new mechanics that improve the gameplay over Ravenloft.
Alright. Of the three, Ravenloft seemed the most interesting, with Ashardlon second, and Legend of Drizz't in last (blame my old lingering dislike of FR). Which of the three comes highest-recommended (and why, specifically?)?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 20, 2012

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Tekopo posted:

This can't not be a parody. I won't believe otherwise.

"The players move through the blah, where they could lose a turn. Then they must make their way through this other place, or lose a turn. Then they have to do this, or lose a turn. If you hit these spaces, you get sent back halfway across the board. You could be in the lead one second, and then in dead last the next! It's almost like starting over again! YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'LL HAPPEN!"

Also, what the hell is this bounce challenge? Now I wanna know... :(

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I like how one of the "features" of the game is that can take from 15 minutes to an hour and a half to play. Just what I wanted, a roll-and-move draw-and-move that lasts over an hour.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I love the top-left most blue square, which is a monumental gently caress-you that resets almost the entirety of the track.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Tekopo posted:

This one is just sad. I feel so terribly guilty laughing at how bad it is because it really looks like someone put their heart and soul into making just down right crummy game. :smith:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I know I'm late on this but I picked up Mage Knight from the Amazon deal the other day and holy poo poo guys. I haven't played yet but this thing floors me with its quality out of the box - everything is neatly packaged with like kind, all the cardboard is pre-punched, and the card decks are individually packed with like cards. The minis are even pre-painted! Best board game unboxing experience I've had, for sure - I'm used to Vlaada games not named Sneaks and Snitches requiring an X-acto knife and a good 30+ minutes of punch time as well as buying a sorter to put in the box.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Colon V posted:

I am a huge fan of Battlestations!. It is basically a starship combat RPG/boardgame - you have a GM who sets up the mission and runs the enemy ships, while the players work together as the crew of their ship. The game plays out on a hex map like a standard starship minis battle, but their ship is built out of tiles and the PCs have to run around performing tasks (i.e., if someone wants to launch missiles or fire the laser cannon they actually have to run to the appropriate module and do so). Missions tend to take about 2-4 hours to play, and crew members earn experience and can level up and learn new special abilities from session to session. There are several expansions available, each adding a new full campaign to play which builds on elements from the previous campaigns (whether or not the Rebels win the Galactic Civil War, the resulting peace carries into the Pax Galacticum campaign, which paves the way for the Pirates of Trundlia, etc.).

If your group loves games like Star Fleet Battles, and likes the idea of combining them with an RPG element, then I highly recommend it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I picked up Earth Reborn on sale based on the recommendation and review posted up thread. Holy molee there are a lot of bits and bobbins in that big-rear end box. I think my wife was terrified between the number of components and the two huge rule books. Just from flipping through the rules, it looks to drip theme. I'm pretty excited about getting it on the table over the holidays if my brother and I can stay sober enough to learn a new game. Anyone have a YouTube playthrough video to ease us in?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lawen posted:

I picked up Earth Reborn on sale based on the recommendation and review posted up thread. Holy molee there are a lot of bits and bobbins in that big-rear end box. I think my wife was terrified between the number of components and the two huge rule books. Just from flipping through the rules, it looks to drip theme. I'm pretty excited about getting it on the table over the holidays if my brother and I can stay sober enough to learn a new game. Anyone have a YouTube playthrough video to ease us in?

Actually, don't watch any youtube videos unless they take you through the Scenarios in order. This is one of those few games where you can just follow the scenarios and each one will add more rules on to the last. It's very well designed in that respect, but you'll need to give it about 6 plays before you really start getting into the meat of the game, but by then you'll have the fundamentals down well enough that you won't forget them, which is something that would be easy to do if you just watched a youtube.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I know some of the older stuff, namely Game of Thrones and Call of Cthlulu stuff was out of print. But I think all those sets were when they still did the 'common/rare' distribution split from the packs. And they've started reprinting those in the current '3 of everything' format.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Colon V posted:

Alright. Of the three, Ravenloft seemed the most interesting, with Ashardlon second, and Legend of Drizz't in last (blame my old lingering dislike of FR). Which of the three comes highest-recommended (and why, specifically?)?

Ravenloft was made first and with the least amount of feedback and design thought. Legizzle of Drizz'le was made last and with the most feedback and design.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

homullus posted:

Ravenloft was made first and with the least amount of feedback and design thought. Legizzle of Drizz'le was made last and with the most feedback and design.

Are the games legit different? Also, is there anything preventing you from getting all of them, then playing Ravenloft/Ashardalon with the rules from Drizz't?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Malloreon posted:

Are the games legit different? Also, is there anything preventing you from getting all of them, then playing Ravenloft/Ashardalon with the rules from Drizz't?

Sorry, should have said! They are not that different. The rules are the same but there are some improvements in the mission design in the later ones. You can use the characters from any with any.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So now that the year is ending, is it time to do a Best Of? I have no idea if it's kosher, but because this isn't PYF, we should add some actual comments and justifications and maybe stories that defined the experience for you. Not necessarily of games released this year either, but just of your favorite games as of the end of 2012, in some semblance of an order. Someone can also probably set up the spreadsheet again, so that there is a convenient resource people can point others to that is, essentially, a list.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll start, I guess.

Best Card Game Involving Time Travel
Chrononauts, for having an interesting theme, multiple ways to win, a great sense of humor. I'm not sure whether describing it as "Munchkin with Time Travel" would help or hurt people wanting to play more.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Colon V posted:

I'll start, I guess.

Chrononauts, for having an interesting theme, multiple ways to win, a great sense of humor. I'm not sure whether describing it as "Munchkin with Time Travel" would help or hurt people wanting to play more.

On the one hand you've got the horror of time travel forcing us to play Munchkin again and again. On the other hand you've got the slim hope that we can use time travel to murder everyone involved in that game's creation. So I guess it's a toss-up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Colon V posted:

I'll start, I guess.

Worst Card Game Involving Time Travel
Evil Baby Orphanage, for being like Munchkin. No, seriously, the endgame is literally "check for victory (10 points in front of out), stop person to your left from winning (move points from him to other people using cards), get over 10 points yourself, end turn" until someone can't stop the person to their left.

It is positively awful. Play Chrononauts instead and I've never played the game.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Colon V posted:

I'll start, I guess.

There's an expansion to it which adds i think another 10-15 timeline pieces related to the founding of the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Best of Best Ever Wargame Oh My God Why Don't I Ever Get To Play This
Napoleon's Triumph.

• Locked thread