Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Mr. Despair posted:

Since there's a lot of talk of RO/DI systems I could post the one I've worked on this week.

It can clean the water so well that it's not safe to drink (via multiple passes through the system), although really it's pretty much the same as the small units linked here, just bigger.

Wow. That actually for an aquarium? Or some other industrial use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fermunky posted:

I can do one better. With my old 4.4g nano, I used RO/DI from the water plant attached to the power plant where my father works...

The four blue storage tanks at 26.069423, -80.200201 are RO/DI storage. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fermunky posted:

It's to clean water that fills a particle detector. Need to keep 72000 gallons clean though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/office-nano-reef-tank

We have a week and a half break over the holidays, so with the office tank and all I thought I'd set up a thing so I can quickly eyeball the system. I also set up a ghetto hamster bottle ATO system for it.

Figured one of these online streaming sites would do the job handily.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

api call girl posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/office-nano-reef-tank

We have a week and a half break over the holidays, so with the office tank and all I thought I'd set up a thing so I can quickly eyeball the system. I also set up a ghetto hamster bottle ATO system for it.

Figured one of these online streaming sites would do the job handily.

That's cool. If I had a PC close enough to my reef at home I think I would have done this instead of ordering the IP Cam I just did.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

visuvius posted:

That's cool. If I had a PC close enough to my reef at home I think I would have done this instead of ordering the IP Cam I just did.

How far we talking? I just used my normal Logitech webcam with some USB extensions, and use yawcam for the streaming: http://telijah.dyndns-web.com:8888/ (Camera is not in it's proper mounting point at the moment)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Fermunky posted:

How far we talking? I just used my normal Logitech webcam with some USB extensions, and use yawcam for the streaming: http://telijah.dyndns-web.com:8888/ (Camera is not in it's proper mounting point at the moment)

Nice! Yeah if a Foscam weren't on its way to me right now I'd probably order a USB extension off monoprice to try this out. I think I might still. I'll need like 50 feet of USB extension cord though. Seems great for piece of mind.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

When I first setup my tank, being in an apartment on the second floor, I was extremely paranoid of a catastrophe, so I got one of these as I literally live about a mile from my office and could shoot home at the first sign of trouble.

On another topic, I just found out I am getting a ro/di system for Christmas. No more trips to the local shop for water :D

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fermunky posted:

When I first setup my tank, being in an apartment on the second floor, I was extremely paranoid of a catastrophe, so I got one of these as I literally live about a mile from my office and could shoot home at the first sign of trouble.

On another topic, I just found out I am getting a ro/di system for Christmas. No more trips to the local shop for water :D

It's not like any leakage would be YOUR problem. It would be your downstairs neighbors problem, right? :colbert:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Fermunky is that the Eheim autofeeder you're using? How do you like it? Does it latch on to the edge pretty firmly?

I want to use the small size pellets of Thera A and I'm not sure if they will work with that feeder or not.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

visuvius posted:

Fermunky is that the Eheim autofeeder you're using? How do you like it? Does it latch on to the edge pretty firmly?

I want to use the small size pellets of Thera A and I'm not sure if they will work with that feeder or not.

That is correct. With the rimmed tank, it still holds pretty good. It's a surprisingly light device though, so I would not be too concerned about it holding on. I have used both flake and pellet food. It can be programmed I think for up to three feeding times, and has an option for feeding once or twice per feeding time (the second drop of food happens 60 seconds after the first). It has a little sliding door so you can loosely measure/control the amount of food dropped per feed. It also has a manual feed button as well.

My only gripe about it is the food floating too long before sinking, as a lot of it is sucked into my overflow. I just have to find a better location to correct this. I still feed manually by hand and only bought the feeder when I was out for Thanksgiving. I did notice if I drop food closer to my power head, I guess the flow of water drags the food under much quicker and also helps disperse the food quite nicely. I may also just need to find a better type of food for it maybe.

Edit: I thought I had uploaded a video of it in action for my friends to see it, but must have removed it. If you want, I can upload a short clip showing a feed cycle?

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 20, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Sure I'd appreciate it, might help.

Have you tried Thera A? They have large and small pellets and while they float for a little bit at the top, the pieces that haven't been swallowed up by the fish at the surface always make their way down.

I have a rimless cube so I'm a bit worried that it will be wobbly or won't attach right.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

visuvius posted:

Sure I'd appreciate it, might help.

Have you tried Thera A? They have large and small pellets and while they float for a little bit at the top, the pieces that haven't been swallowed up by the fish at the surface always make their way down.

I have a rimless cube so I'm a bit worried that it will be wobbly or won't attach right.

OK, I'll take from close up pics of the mounting. Honestly, I think it would be more stable on a rimless. Again, it's super light and the action from the feeding process is quite slow so it doesn't cause any weird movements with the unit itself. I'll post the vid up later.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm trying yawcam right now and I can't make it upload to my home ftp, so I guess I'm giving up for now. Back to regular old streaming.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Here ya be visuvius

Video (also, anyone have a tip for stoping that horrible draining tube sound I get from the down tube?)
http://youtu.be/-an54P45Vbo

Up close shot of the vise-like mount

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks! Yeah I think that might work for me.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

As you can see in the pic, the mount cant even fully... "mount" the rimmed tank, so on a rimless it will sit that much closer to your water.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Fermunky posted:

Video (also, anyone have a tip for stoping that horrible draining tube sound I get from the down tube?

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Just make something like that yourself.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Fermunky posted:

My only gripe about it is the food floating too long before sinking, as a lot of it is sucked into my overflow. I just have to find a better location to correct this. I still feed manually by hand and only bought the feeder when I was out for Thanksgiving. I did notice if I drop food closer to my power head, I guess the flow of water drags the food under much quicker and also helps disperse the food quite nicely. I may also just need to find a better type of food for it maybe.

Have you considered having it drop into a feeding ring?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Wow, how have I never heard of this? This looks like it would be great when I have to use my auto feeder because I am out of town. I have the same problem, the majority of my food goes into the overflow.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I used to have my auto-feeder synced with a fancy digital light timer controlling my return pump. It could turn off for 15 minutes while the auto-feeder did it's thing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Started scuba certification this weekend. Went diving off Catalina, CA this morning/afternoon. Saw some huge Garibaldi, a few Catalina gobies, some turban snails that were fist sized and lots of other fish.

I had the go pro, but the footage is shaky as all hell. I'll post it if any of you are interested!

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

I've never heard of these, but after reading your post and 1 Google search later, I am definitely going to give this a shot. Thanks!

Edit: NewEgg sells aquarium stuff??? That site boggles me everyday with it's product selection.

Edit 2: Oh, I see they have a "Marketplace" thing like other sites...

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 24, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone have like an AI Sol or Radion or something comparable to a Maxspect Razor 20"? I've got the latter and I'm pretty sure I've been burning out my corals. Stuff is losing color so I think I've got the fixture set too high.

What percentage are people running their lights at?

FuriousB
Aug 4, 2003

visuvius posted:

Anyone have like an AI Sol or Radion or something comparable to a Maxspect Razor 20"? I've got the latter and I'm pretty sure I've been burning out my corals. Stuff is losing color so I think I've got the fixture set too high.

I run my AI sol at 25%. I have the mounting legs that come with it that keep it an inch or two over the water line. I have mostly LPS. Start low with LEDs and increase intensity gradually over time.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

visuvius posted:

I'm running Sol Super Blues in a 30 inch deep 150-gallon. Three modules, about 12 inches up. I'm up to around 80% now, but that's on a deep tank with a lot of SPS and quite a long acclimation period.

If you're seeing bleaching, dial your intensity way back and then gradually ramp it up. In my experience most corals recover from insufficient light much more readily than they do from too-intense light.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Posting it anyway,

Notable wildlife:
:04 - :06 catalina goby
The rest: Lots of garibaldi and perch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXHE3IjhaM

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm looking to get out of the hobby and sell my equipment off. It's a biocube 14 with an led upgrade and some other additions/upgrades (probably paid $150 for all the other upgrades (media basket, submersible led, upgraded sump, power head)). I spent about 150 on the tank and 250 on the LEDs maybe...so 550 total before we get into livestock and all that stuff.

I'm trying to be realistic because I know this is a hobby where you never get a great return on investment, but do you think I have a shot throwing it up for $300 takes everything?(with or without livestock)

I'm betting most people won't want the livestock, so that's going to be a pain to get rid of that if it ends up being the case.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'd say that's a fair price.

I sold a stock biocube 28 for $150, and you have lots of extras. I'd even put it up for $350 and take the lowball of $300 to get your asking price, ya'dig?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd say that's a fair price.

I sold a stock biocube 28 for $150, and you have lots of extras. I'd even put it up for $350 and take the lowball of $300 to get your asking price, ya'dig?
Oh definitely plan on going a bit high to start, so 350 was what I was thinking of asking.

That said, think it stands a chance in hell of being sold with livestock (b/w occ clown, pearly Jawfish, tailspin Blenny, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pompom crab, 4 headed frogspawn, pink Xenia, orange ricordea, green birdsnest, pink stylo)?

I've been on vacation for two weeks with the house sitter taking care of the fish, so who knows if the sps is still around even, but I figure I might try and see if I can get a bite to sell with livestock. Mainly because gently caress having to coordinate 10 different people coming over to my house to pick up one fish or something. Plus, I don't even know what kind of hell I'm in for when I try and get that Jawfish out with 4" of sand an plenty of LR in the tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Possibly,

If you're lucky you'll get someone that's just getting into the hobby that wants a starter tank. Or you'll get someone that wants your livestock, and will sell the tank themselves. Either way, you shouldn't have a problem with it at that price.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I'm having a really hard time deciding on my next fish. I've already got two occelaris clowns, and I want the next fish to be colorful and not hide behind the rocks all day. Anybody have suggestions?

Tank is a 20L and will eventually be filled with corals, but right now just has frogspawn, trumpet, and GSP.

Edit: Guess I should clarify that I have no lid, so I've heard that firefish will jump out. I really like Bangaii Cardinals, but I hear different opinions on whether they'd be good for my tank.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 28, 2012

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

I'm in the same boat. Had two clowns, and the lfs had yellow clown gobies for $5 a pop. Got one, and he stays inside one of the rocks... all day. I should have just buried a $5 bill under one of the rocks.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Well great, I was considering a clown goby. I'm wondering if a bi-color blenny would be cool. I like the look of them, but if they just sit around it'll drive me crazy.

Considering:
Bi-color blenny
Green clown goby
Sixline wrasse
Bangaii cardinal
firefish?
tail spot blenny

Also wondering if I could pull off a combo of any of the above fish. I don't want to overload my tank though.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

I was told the clown goby (maybe all gobies?) like to "sit on a perch", but I expected this would have been out in the open, but once he found a little nook in one of my rocks, he hasn't moved. I stick an air tube near him daily to see him move to make sure he hasn't died.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My tailspot Blenny is fairly active, though he likes to chill in some barnacles every now and then.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have a six line, he's awesome. At feeding time he'll grab a mouthful of mysis, take it into the huge monti cap and just sit inside and munch on his dinner. The only time he vanishes is at night, I have yet to find his sleeping hiding place.

The thing to worry about with most those fish is jumping. Are you topless?

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Yeah, topless at the moment. I plan to build a canopy, but that's a while away. Do Bangaii cardinals jump often? The way they swim is very, very cool and my LFS has them in stock right now.

Sanchezz, is your wrasse a menace? I've heard they can be real jerks, but I love their look. They seem really active which would be nice, because my clowns just hover on one side of the tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

U.S. Barryl posted:

Yeah, topless at the moment. I plan to build a canopy, but that's a while away. Do Bangaii cardinals jump often? The way they swim is very, very cool and my LFS has them in stock right now.

Sanchezz, is your wrasse a menace? I've heard they can be real jerks, but I love their look. They seem really active which would be nice, because my clowns just hover on one side of the tank.

Here's my list (in order of addition):

2 Clowns
YWG
Mandarin
African Flameback Angel
Six-Line Wrasse

These are all in a topless 40 breeder. I've only ever had one fish jump and it was a mandarin, who knew?

So the female clown punks EVERYONE. Not to the point where she's a bully, but to the point that they know if they gently caress around, she'll kick their asses. So needless to say, the angel and wrasse swim around a lot, but they know that the frogspawn is off limits. The secret is adding the most "agressive" fish last, so that it has no territory established.

I don't know about the cardinals jumping, I havent heard many stories. But the wrasse, firefish, etc. are all known jumpers. And for the record, I had a YCG kill a frag of SPS by sitting on it all day long. He disappeared though, probably got eaten by a maxi-mini, but now I'm safe to have SPS which thrive all of a sudden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

And for the record, I had a YCG kill a frag of SPS by sitting on it all day long. He disappeared though, probably got eaten by a maxi-mini, but now I'm safe to have SPS which thrive all of a sudden!

Good to know if I decide to go with coral, running fish only for now as that's about the highest level of maintenance I am ready for.

Edit: Is short green algae a good sign on my rocks? I had predominantly base rock in there with a couple large pieces of live rock. The rock in there now is between 2-3 months old, and small green algae is forming on a lot of the rock. Here is a screen shot I took from my web cam for reference: http://i.imgur.com/SZxzY.jpg. The one rock completely covered in it happens to be the first piece of live rock thats been in the tank since I started it at the end of September.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 28, 2012

• Locked thread