Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Space Hamlet posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that wouldn't have done the job. Wear some headphones and go listen to the township and the abyss, you might notice some depth to the ambient sound which was missing before

Neat, because before, I switched my audio settings from Stereo to 5.1 in Windows before playing to hear a bit of difference. From the sounds of this patch, I no longer have to do that! Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I've been following this to the letter: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+User+Guide but just got the Moonlight Greatsword and notice it sucks compared to my Enchanted Claymore +4. Does it need to be upgraded, or has it been nerfed? What are other high int types using for weapons?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've been following this to the letter: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+User+Guide but just got the Moonlight Greatsword and notice it sucks compared to my Enchanted Claymore +4. Does it need to be upgraded, or has it been nerfed? What are other high int types using for weapons?

Most weapons need to be upgraded to reach their max potential. Moonlight great sword wont even have S scaling until +4 I believe.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also factor in that its doing single type damage. It's definitely better than that claymore once you get it upgraded.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yes certainly, some of the inspiration... :v:

Genocyber posted:

gently caress, I really need to get around to watching and reading Berserk.

You really want to just read the manga. The movies are too truncated (just because it's many many volumes in a 2 hourish movie) and the anime was too different and truncated.

Question, any advice for a low level bandit doing O+S? I'm trying to kill smough first and always get ruined but super oberstein.

I have a ascended pyro glove +1 with combustion and great combustion. I have a +5 fire barbed sword and a +2 lightning dagger. I have +10 dingy robe. Using the ring of favor and protection and dark wood ring.

I summon solaire and he lasts for a moment against super oberstein. I can get a few shots of combustion on him but he always hits me through my shield (+2 dragon crest).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man there are a lot of errors in this guys guide.

The Moonlight Greatsword is probably one of the better high int weapons. I think some other options are the Moonlight Butterfly spear and the Channelers Trident which I have never even seen drop.

Also I would forget most of what that guide says about gear. No build requires the Ring of Favor and Protection. The only things that are really required are the bellowing dragoncrest ring and the crown of dusk. And you can pry the grass crest shield from my cold dead hands. For armor just wear what looks cool and make sure you upgrade it.

And I didn't realize anyone even bought the Heavy Soul Spears.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Oh man getting dragon scales is going to be a monster pain in the rear end isn't it?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I bought them because I am a terrible completionist sperglord, but they are actually kind of useful before you can use CSS.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh man getting dragon scales is going to be a monster pain in the rear end isn't it?

Yup! Prepare for fun!

Least boring option - Join Dragonbro's and hope to gently caress you get summonvaded, most viable option - Valley of the Drakes. Basically I haven't upgraded Dragontooth because I decided to get the Dragon Bone Fist to +5 for the S scaling and that was enough for me.

- Should note I wasted all the ones you find out and about on various weapons, none of which I want as much as Dragontooth/DBF -

At least I can shoryuken the undead into the stratosphere.

Balobam fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 21, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I think between killing both hydras, both undead dragons and picking up the ones in Blighttown and Ashe Lake you should have enough to fully upgrade it without farming.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I believe you can get enough to get it to +4 before having to farm. I think you can even get it to +5 by the time you're finished with Anor Londo with no farming, just from drops and ones strewn about.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Finding goofy exploits in RPGs is how I roll. Not apologizing. Also, don't seem to be scorned, either.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
There are enough Dragon Scales between both Hydras, Undead Dragons, and the ones in Ash Lake and Blighttown to upgrade to +4, with one scale left to get from drops to upgrade to +5.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Ugh, I installed dsfix and adjusted the setting but I sitll cannot get a framrate good enough to play online or play really. What's it about this patch?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Some Dark Souls 2 concept art is going around tumblr. Looks like the real deal to me, don't know if this is the stuff in the Edge article or what but it's pretty cool either way.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tykero posted:

There are enough Dragon Scales between both Hydras, Undead Dragons, and the ones in Ash Lake and Blighttown to upgrade to +4, with one scale left to get from drops to upgrade to +5.

I think you can trade an egg with Snuggly for the tenth dragon scale so you don't have to do any farming (not even for the egg since you get a guaranteed one). The last one sequentially I think is in the painted world, so it's possible to kill S&O with a +5 dragon weapon if you really want to.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I read Berserk back in 2002-2003 and I had no idea it was related to Dark Souls beyond "big rear end in a top hat with a big sword". [img-themoreyouknow]

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The influence is a lot more obvious in Demon's Souls.

Caution Baby
Dec 26, 2006

you really don't remember anything important, do you, br'er lappin?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Some Dark Souls 2 concept art is going around tumblr. Looks like the real deal to me, don't know if this is the stuff in the Edge article or what but it's pretty cool either way.
It was posted on http://darksouls.jp and tweeted by From Software.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

voltron lion force posted:

The influence is a lot more obvious in Demon's Souls.

Call me when there's a Blame! Souls then because boy howdy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yes certainly, some of the inspiration... :v:

The only lamentable thing is that they don't call you a jerk in the game. Imagine a group of them run you over, and call you a jerk as you die.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
YES! Finally did four kings. Turns out they aren't so tough when you're breathing fire into their armpit. Then I made a lot of people in the blight town swamp very unhappy :twisted:

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
I had no idea there was an audio bug this entire time. I thought it was weird that I could hear noises and such from one direction and not from another but I assumed it was just part of the game. I saw people bitching about some 5.1 audio downmixing bug and disregarded it because I wasn't using 5.1 audio. I could have fixed it if I knew :psyduck:.

Oh well. Onward and upward (and probably downward too because I need to ascend my Pyro Flame).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I've ran into a nasty bug. I launched the game like normal yesterday, and strangely it gave me the CD key prompt as if I was starting it for the first time. Alrigth, character select screen. Everything looks twisted, my guys have red, green and purple skin what the hell. If I load the character, he just instantly falls through the world and dies after a minute or so. Then spawns at bonfire and falls through again.

I tried verifying game files, it had to redownload some stuff but it didn't help. Anyone had this problem?

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!
I thought this thread would appreciate this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't see anything special? There are a million nonsensical messages just like that one peppered everywhere.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't see anything special? There are a million nonsensical messages just like that one peppered everywhere.

He's in Blighttown. :ssh:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Ryuga Death posted:

Neat, because before, I switched my audio settings from Stereo to 5.1 in Windows before playing to hear a bit of difference. From the sounds of this patch, I no longer have to do that! Am I wrong?

Late response, but you are right

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What's the upper level limit for invading with red orb/cracked red orbs?

At SL18 I just invaded a NG+ person with Black Flame and clearly far beyond what you'd expect.

I parried their Gold Tracer then proceeded to spam heavy soul lances into them while they ran circles around a Balder Knight until they died (Which seemed a bit out of place in terms of skill compared to their gear).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the skull lantern dropped from a Necromancer that suicided when I was nowhere near him, because I saw a mysterious +1000 souls at one point and I haven't gotten one from any of the ones I've seen. The TotG is going to be... fun. Especially since I really want to go there as early as I can and get Rhea to sell me miracles.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I think the skull lantern dropped from a Necromancer that suicided when I was nowhere near him, because I saw a mysterious +1000 souls at one point and I haven't gotten one from any of the ones I've seen. The TotG is going to be... fun. Especially since I really want to go there as early as I can and get Rhea to sell me miracles.

I've had this happen to me as well. You can make it to the one near Rhea pretty easily with some clever jumping. You can also just do Lost Izalith first if you hate yourself.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VodeAndreas posted:

What's the upper level limit for invading with red orb/cracked red orbs?

At SL18 I just invaded a NG+ person with Black Flame and clearly far beyond what you'd expect.

I parried their Gold Tracer then proceeded to spam heavy soul lances into them while they ran circles around a Balder Knight until they died (Which seemed a bit out of place in terms of skill compared to their gear).

There isn't an upper limit, have fun!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's literally Dark Souls, the image.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There isn't an upper limit, have fun!

Well that would explain it. I so far I've won 3/4 so my luck can't be too bad. Now to go kill the hydra and get towards 4k for my proper orb.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is there a code of 'ethics' for forest invasions? Cos at the moment I just cat-ring in and burn people when they try to bow or whatever. Is this hilarious y/n ?

one time I dropped some prism stones and the dude clearly went into his inventory to participate, so I lit him on fire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

well why not posted:

Is there a code of 'ethics' for forest invasions? Cos at the moment I just cat-ring in and burn people when they try to bow or whatever. Is this hilarious y/n ?

one time I dropped some prism stones and the dude clearly went into his inventory to participate, so I lit him on fire.

No, there is no code of ethics for anything in Dark Souls. Kill away.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Drop Rubbish then backstab people.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hold a dance party. Anyone who attempts to crash the party should be killed.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I killed Gwynevere, and a voice started talking to me, the huge sentinels were replaced by some dudes and when they killed me, I respawned in Anor Londo, and the firekeeper there is gone. :psyduck:

e: Also the Anor Londo bonfire still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Call Now posted:

I killed Gwynevere, and a voice started talking to me, the huge sentinels were replaced by some dudes and when they killed me, I respawned in Anor Londo, and the firekeeper there is gone. :psyduck:

She's somewhere else, and she's pissed, rightfully so.

• Locked thread