Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hm, maybe it only goes to the local copy if wifi is disconnected. I didn't try turning off my connectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How well is LastPass for Android? Currently, the only way I use my passwords is a password protected RAR in Drive...that's probably not very secure. :v

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

How well is LastPass for Android? Currently, the only way I use my passwords is a password protected RAR in Drive...that's probably not very secure. :v

It works as good as can be expected for browsers that don't have an extension system.

Meaning, that it works fine, you just have to open the app and copy/paste every time you want to get a password.

They make it easier with copy notifications. Basically you do this:
  1. Hey I want to login to this website.
  2. Go open LastPass and type in your master password.
  3. Search for the credentials for whatever website.
  4. Copy username or password:
    • You can copy the username OR the password
    • Or you can select from the long-press menu to "add copy notifications"
    • Or you can configure settings to "add copy notifications" on a single press.
    • Copy notifications adds a notification for username and one for password. When you select the notification it copies the corresponding data to the clipboard for pasting.
  5. Switch back to browser and paste username or password.

I use it all the time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

It works as good as can be expected for browsers that don't have an extension system.

Meaning, that it works fine, you just have to open the app and copy/paste every time you want to get a password.

They make it easier with copy notifications. Basically you do this:
  1. Hey I want to login to this website.
  2. Go open LastPass and type in your master password.
  3. Search for the credentials for whatever website.
  4. Copy username or password:
    • You can copy the username OR the password
    • Or you can select from the long-press menu to "add copy notifications"
    • Or you can configure settings to "add copy notifications" on a single press.
    • Copy notifications adds a notification for username and one for password. When you select the notification it copies the corresponding data to the clipboard for pasting.
  5. Switch back to browser and paste username or password.

I use it all the time.

That's actually not too bad, plus my paycheck should be here once the 14 day trial runs out. Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's actually not too bad, plus my paycheck should be here once the 14 day trial runs out. Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot!
Isn't LastPass $1 per month?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't LastPass $1 per month?

Oh, I thought it was like $20 or something. That's not a problem then.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Why not use the LastPass keyboard? It types the passwords in for you, without having to switch apps and copy/paste.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

repiv posted:

Why not use the LastPass keyboard? It types the passwords in for you, without having to switch apps and copy/paste.

Firefox Mobile also has a Last pass extension.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can't comment on LastPass, but I use Keepass synced via dropbox and it works very well. It uses copy/paste notifications like was described earlier, and doesn't cost anything.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there any reason not to use the bookmarklets in the android browser? You can have them in your favourites, and once you're logged into your account through the main website, you can open the favourites screen and click a bookmarklet to fill in passwords or forms. No need for copy and paste.

(I'm pretty sure I got this from the lastpass site, so I'm assuming it's secure?)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Taffer posted:

I can't comment on LastPass, but I use Keepass synced via dropbox and it works very well. It uses copy/paste notifications like was described earlier, and doesn't cost anything.

I was doing this, but switched to LastPass for two reasons.

For one, it was a little annoying to me that every time I updated the Keepass db on my desktop and put into dropbox, I had to be sure to reload it on my phone.

Also, LastPass has a really handy Chrome extension for the desktop. I imported my Keepass database into LastPass and have been happily using it for about six months. It's worth the $10 or $12 I paid for a year's access.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Another vote for Last Pass. Couldn't live without it.

Question :what section does your storage (under settings) show pinned music in Google Music? Clearly its not "audio"

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Taffer posted:

I use Keepass/Drpbox as well but it won't sync for some reason.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I've been holding out for 1password to release their full android app for about a year now. Its supposedly been in testing for longer then that. I have a feeling its basically vaporware since they have shipped 2 huge updates on the iOS side. How easy is the import from 1password to lastpass? Anyone know how it imports my other data like CD keys and notes? I have about 600 items in my 1password DB and would prefer it all in one place.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
cellzum.com Concierge service? $9.99.mo? (from what I gather they have live operators who can tell you football scores and poo poo)

This showed up on bill today as "AT&T Monthly subscriptions". Wife had some texts weeks back from cellzum she said, 1st one was "welcome to cellzum" she thought they were spam and texted stop to them. (bad idea?)

She installs any BS she can get on play store. Could an app have signed her up for this? My google is failing me at finding out what app it could've been. Or was it just random spam sms at 1st and the "stop" actually started the service?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

cellzum.com Concierge service? $9.99.mo? (from what I gather they have live operators who can tell you football scores and poo poo)

This showed up on bill today as "AT&T Monthly subscriptions". Wife had some texts weeks back from cellzum she said, 1st one was "welcome to cellzum" she thought they were spam and texted stop to them. (bad idea?)

She installs any BS she can get on play store. Could an app have signed her up for this? My google is failing me at finding out what app it could've been. Or was it just random spam sms at 1st and the "stop" actually started the service?

Google them and you'll see a bunch of people the exact same poo poo happened to. Also what they did about it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Midjack posted:

Google them and you'll see a bunch of people the exact same poo poo happened to. Also what they did about it.

Ok I am seeing the other people it happened to now. People comparing it to "slamming". I guess my 1st search was too focused on my idea of it originating from a play store app.

What did they do about it though?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

Ok I am seeing the other people it happened to now. People comparing it to "slamming". I guess my 1st search was too focused on my idea of it originating from a play store app.

What did they do about it though?

This is called "cramming." Don't waste your time with Cellzum, it's probably some small time mobster in a basement in New York; the Gambino family was into this several years ago.

Contact the phone company and tell them the charge was added without your consent. Also tell them not to accept further charges from that company. You can also ask that no third party charges be allowed on your phone bill.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Dukket posted:

I use Keepass/Drpbox as well but it won't sync for some reason.

The official mobile dropbox app doesn't do automatic syncing. you either have to use a separate app or download the file manually every time you make a change

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Geektox posted:

The official mobile dropbox app doesn't do automatic syncing. you either have to use a separate app or download the file manually every time you make a change

Ah, I've been d/l the file. Seems strange it doesn't sync, but I guess I just don't get how it functions

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dukket posted:

Ah, I've been d/l the file. Seems strange it doesn't sync, but I guess I just don't get how it functions

It stops people from accidentally downloading a shitload of data to their phone if they throw some big items in their dropbox.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I use keepass. I open Dropbox, select the file and it downloads the newest version of the log and auto opens it.

I see no advantages of last past to justify the price. Keepass is also open source and free.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 21, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any good app sales planned for Google Play over the holiday?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

C-Euro posted:

Any good app sales planned for Google Play over the holiday?

They are doing a daily deal thing, but they have been poo poo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to make the stock camera in CM10.1 save straight to the external SD card? Can I symlink it or is that just asking for trouble?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there any way to make the stock camera in CM10.1 save straight to the external SD card? Can I symlink it or is that just asking for trouble?

There is this app that some people have had luck with. I never got it to work correctly with my GS3 when I was running Cm10 about a month ago.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nask26 posted:

I've been holding out for 1password to release their full android app for about a year now. Its supposedly been in testing for longer then that. I have a feeling its basically vaporware since they have shipped 2 huge updates on the iOS side. How easy is the import from 1password to lastpass? Anyone know how it imports my other data like CD keys and notes? I have about 600 items in my 1password DB and would prefer it all in one place.

You can try it yourself: Lastpass is free for online use (via web browser plugins). They only charge for you to use the mobile apps, and a couple of other features.

Give it a try with your desktop browser of choice, it works about the same as I remember 1password working on my Mac a fee years back.

I just moved back to Android, and I'm using the Firefox last pass extension, which is slicker than the standalone app.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Dukket posted:

Instead of opening Keypass, just open dropbox and open the database, it will automatically download it then open it in Keypass assuming it's your default app for that. That kind of mimics the syncing.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Both versions of SwiftKey 3 (phone and tablet) are half off today. Since SwiftKey Flow is going to be an update to 3 then now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

On that note, is it worth it to pick up both versions, or is the phone version just fine for tablets? I've got an N7 that I've been using the tablet version of Flow on so I have no idea how limiting the phone version might be on the larger screen. I'll be migrating to an Android phone in a couple of months and I'd just as soon pick up one app and install it on both devices. That being said, if the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 is much more suited for tablets, then I'll just drop the couple extra bucks to get it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Karthe posted:

Both versions of SwiftKey 3 (phone and tablet) are half off today. Since SwiftKey Flow is going to be an update to 3 then now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

On that note, is it worth it to pick up both versions, or is the phone version just fine for tablets? I've got an N7 that I've been using the tablet version of Flow on so I have no idea how limiting the phone version might be on the larger screen. I'll be migrating to an Android phone in a couple of months and I'd just as soon pick up one app and install it on both devices. That being said, if the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 is much more suited for tablets, then I'll just drop the couple extra bucks to get it.

I already have the phone version but through amazon store. I may just this one so I can ditch it all together. I am wondering the same thing about the tablet version as well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Karthe posted:

The Tablet version gives you a split keyboard in landscape on tablets. That's the only difference I've found.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Karthe posted:

How does swiftkey compare to the standard swype keyboard (that's what I'm using right now)?

And are there any opinions on the different launchers? I just got a new phone. I set my old phone up the way I wanted it (CM, ADWlauncher EX, etc) and then pretty much stopped tinkering with it as it got older. So, I haven't customized my phone really since Gingerbread. I know Nova and Apex seem to be the two biggest launchers right now, but ADW just relaunched their launcher and since it's free since I purchased it way back, I wanted to know how it compares to current launchers and if there are any significant differences or if it's just personal preference. Also, I assume this is the right thread for this question, but if it's not, I will move it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

The Tablet version gives you a split keyboard in landscape on tablets. That's the only difference I've found.
Just a heads up, the phone version of SwiftKey 3 doesn't allow you to swipe on a tablet. I don't know if it's to encourage me to buy the tablet edition, but no matter which app I was in the keyboard would refuse to swipe on my Nexus 7.

Edit: What the hell, swipe doesn't work in the tablet edition either! SwiftKey 3 Tablet Edition won't swipe in Trillian or Drive, but SwiftKey Flow Tablet Edition will...This makes no sense SwiftKey :argh:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 21, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

Just a heads up, the phone version of SwiftKey 3 doesn't allow you to swipe on a tablet. I don't know if it's to encourage me to buy the tablet edition, but no matter which app I was in the keyboard would refuse to swipe on my Nexus 7.

Edit: What the hell, swipe doesn't work in the tablet edition either! SwiftKey 3 Tablet Edition won't swipe in Trillian or Drive, but SwiftKey Flow Tablet Edition will...This makes no sense SwiftKey :argh:

Why would SK3 allow you to swipe in any case?? That's the whole point of Flow, its a new feature. What am I missing?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Karthe posted:

Swiftkey Flow is swiping. Swiftkey 3 is typing. Simple.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So I'm rooted, and have the fancy new MeanBEAN JB ROM on my phone. But all of the neat little toggles in the pulldown are gone. I'm looking for an all that can add them there, since thats just what I'm used to.

I tried wigetoid, but it puts a stupid notification icon on my top bar, and while I can make it invisible, its still there, and kicks all the other icons off to the right.

Call me OCD, but that just annoys the balls out of me.

Does anyone have a better recommendation?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

Swiftkey Flow is swiping. Swiftkey 3 is typing. Simple.
Whoa wait, so SwiftKey 3 doesn't have any swiping at all? I thought it was like Swype or the default Android 4.2 keyboard. If that's the case then what is SwiftKey's main selling point?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 21, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Karthe posted:

Whoa wait, so SwiftKey 3 doesn't have any swiping at all? I thought it was like Swype or the default Android 4.2 keyboard. If that's the case then what is SwiftKey's main selling point?
Predictive typing.
e:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well I'll be damned.:doh: Oh well, I guess I'll just buy both apps now in anticipation of the upcoming Flow update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

It's also got damned good accuracy and auto-correct. I rarely use the predictive typing but I love SK3 just for how drat foolproof it makes tap-typing.

• Locked thread