Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Boondock Saint posted:

As someone living in DC, I assure you, this is not the case.

Most people around here realize how batshit the Republicans are (or at least how batshit a large portion of their base is), the problem is more that Democrats are a much more inclusive party, and as a result, people often disagree (and get no where as a result) on how to do things.

They mean politicians, not actual people living in DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pope Guilty posted:

They mean politicians, not actual people living in DC.

I knew what he meant, and my statement still stands. Most people who work in government or on the hill that I've interacted with understand how retarded the republicans are, the problem remains that no one can agree on how to address this as a group.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the head of the NRA just gave a public statement in which he called for armed guards in every school, railed against the "corrupting shadow industry" of video games, and revealed himself to be a completely unhinged, paranoid nutbag in general.

Should be interesting to see how Fox News and right-wing talk radio respond to this.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Obama be taking r gunz :supaburn:!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTzaJfLQwvI

Galkaflower
Feb 12, 2010

You know nothing, Jon Toews.

DaveWoo posted:

So the head of the NRA just gave a public statement in which he called for armed guards in every school, railed against the "corrupting shadow industry" of video games, and revealed himself to be a completely unhinged, paranoid nutbag in general.

Should be interesting to see how Fox News and right-wing talk radio respond to this.

Mortal Kombat, Splatterhouse, Natural Born Killers, Grand Theft Auto -- those were the games and movies mentioned. And he called out the media for not being able to find these, but his staff could. Apparently, Newgrounds members among the NRA.

Not exactly current, the NRA.

Called out the media itself for demonizing guns, and I'm not sure that will end well for him. Unless, of course, the media continues it's "lay down and curl up" form of reporting where they just parrot and not do any actual research and reporting.

Galkaflower fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 21, 2012

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Galkaflower posted:

Called out the media itself for demonizing guns, and I'm not sure that will end well for him. Unless, of course, the media continues it's "lay down and curl up" form of reporting where they just parrot and not do any actual research and reporting.
I don't think the media's going to give LaPierre a pass on this. The Sandy Hook tragedy was too big, and LaPierre's response too shockingly tone-deaf, for that to happen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Galkaflower posted:

Mortal Kombat, Splatterhouse, Natural Born Killers, Grand Theft Auto -- those were the games mentioned. And he called out the media for not being able to find these, but his staff could. Apparently, Newgrounds members among the NRA.

PROTECT THE SECOND AMENDMENT! :911:

By destroying the first amendment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

We're back to blaming video games are we?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Is this guy for real?

The guy who posted the video posted:

White people? Black people are just as bad, if not worse. One of the shooters at the elementary school was black. I've been jumped by 6 black gang members two days in a row because they seem to think they can take whatever they want, and I fought them all off... So keep your racist comments off my channel.

None of this is correct, and the end belongs in the poo poo that didn't happen thread in PYF.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I can't imagine this is going to go over well. There has been a push for gun control in the past week like I've never seen in my life, people are in fact blaming the drat guns. It reminds me of the Nation Journal article where in an effort to blame anything but guns they just blamed women instead, and even on the freakin National Journal, most of the comments seemed to be summed up in "wtf?"

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

This is so unsurprising after Wayne's unhinged diatribe at CPAC insisting that Obama was coming to take his guns his -second- term.

And yet, I'm a little surprised. Jesus.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

It makes sense - after all, just look at the obvious correlation!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think by a database for the mentally ill, Wayne LaPierre means we should offer a universal healthcare system for everyone w/ digitized records so the mentally ill can receive proper treatment. Progressive idea, Wayne, and I'm behind it!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Galkaflower posted:

Mortal Kombat, Splatterhouse, Natural Born Killers, Grand Theft Auto -- those were the games and movies mentioned. And he called out the media for not being able to find these, but his staff could. Apparently, Newgrounds members among the NRA.

How could you have left out the most salacious game he mentioned?

He literally blamed this Flash game from 2002.

Here's video of the part where he talks about video games. It's 1994 all over again, guys.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

CommieGIR posted:

I thought we were done with that now that Ollie North is shilling for murder simulators

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

First word out of his mouth: WELP. I could not stop laughing. Also loving this little conversation between s one NWOTruthChannel and the video uploader, ProConstitutioner.

quote:

NWOTruthChannel 1 day ago
this loving scares me what's about to come...

quote:

ProConstitutioner 1 day ago
We need to rise up, team up, and stock up on Guns N ammo. We need to organize militias on a mass scale. The time to make a stand is NOW!! What state do you live in? Strength in numbers. The more people who fight by my side will result in more courage. STRENGTH & HONOR

:allears: I love when morons like this talk about forming militias and fighting back against the government, because that's gone so well for folks like them in the past!

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Ballz posted:

How could you have left out the most salacious game he mentioned?

He literally blamed this Flash game from 2002.

Here's video of the part where he talks about video games. It's 1994 all over again, guys.

That just drives me goddamn crazy. The right likes to say 'not every gun owner is a psychopath', but not every gamer is a psychopath either and that doesn't stop them from laying the blame there.

Video games are an influence; guns are a tool. To turn it around, not everyone who's gone on a shooting spree was an avid gamer... but I think I can guarantee that all of them had a gun.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
So the guy who blames video games for violence wants to make America into a real-life FPS where EVERYONE HAS A GUN.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Crasscrab posted:

:allears: I love when morons like this talk about forming militias and fighting back against the government, because that's gone so well for folks like them in the past!

Hey look, a drone! Let's shoot it down with our AR-15's!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

This makes me happy because Maddow last night predicted exactly that this would be the response. She'll be having fun tonight.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

How much blame should a newer, more realistic looking game get? For example, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, endorsed by NRA board member Oliver North. That's gotta be having a bigger impact than Mortal Kombat, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You guys are gonna love the videogame censorship record of Hillary Clinton.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ufarn posted:

You guys are gonna love the videogame censorship record of Hillary Clinton.

I don't think anyone here is unaware of let alone surprised about Clinton and Lieberman's records of being huge proponents of video game censorship in the late 90's/ Early 2000's.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

DaveWoo posted:

It makes sense - after all, just look at the obvious correlation!

Is there a source for this? Because this would be perfect to use against the "ITS NOT GUNS, ITS CULTURE" crowd.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

I don't think anyone here is unaware of let alone surprised about Clinton and Lieberman's records of being huge proponents of video game censorship in the late 90's/ Early 2000's.
It's still worth repeating, be it for trivia or for those who were too young to follow that campaign.

It's also as little as 18 months ago that SCOTUS ruled that videogames are protected as expressions of art.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oh no, FEMA soldiers!

Crasscrab posted:

He's certainly gotten himself on a watch list, if anything.

edit

mearn posted:

How much blame should a newer, more realistic looking game get? For example, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, endorsed by NRA board member Oliver North. That's gotta be having a bigger impact than Mortal Kombat, right?

Nope, those are American Soldiers and deserve our respect. And CoD could never lead to a civilian massacre, as you are fighting foreigners.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 21, 2012

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Crasscrab posted:

Remind them that the last time there was organized military resistance against the government it was for the express purpose of maintaining the right to own human beings like livestock

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how he ends the video by asking for money. Does he need gold or bitcoins?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

skaboomizzy posted:

So the guy who blames video games for violence wants to make America into a real-life FPS where EVERYONE HAS A GUN.

If everyone in America has a gun then no one can commit crime because true patriots would just shoot them. You really need to research your opinions more.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it surprising that a consumer society based on RAND game theory results in people who think money is supreme arbiter of all social exchanges and mutually assured destruction will prevent crime?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
On LaPierre, I think this person puts it best:

quote:

For years, the NRA has been stoking fears of "jackbooted thugs" from the Federal government. Now they propose putting an armed government employee in every single school across America.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Also, we had an armed cop on duty at Columbine when that happened.

Unfortunately, it didn't prevent poo poo.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It is vitally important that we create a national database of every single person with a mental illness. It's also vitally important that we completely ignore that database if the person wants to buy a gun from a swap meet at the county fairgrounds.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It is vitally important that we create a national database of every single person with a mental illness. It's also vitally important that we completely ignore that database if the person wants to buy a gun from a swap meet at the county fairgrounds.

What makes this even more ridiculous is the fact that the people who commit these crimes are invariably undiagnosed and untreated, so they wouldn't appear on the database anyway.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Twisted Perspective posted:

What makes this even more ridiculous is the fact that the people who commit these crimes are invariably undiagnosed and untreated, so they wouldn't appear on the database anyway.

Not to mention that the very idea that you might be put on a database like this may prevent people from seeking the help they need.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crasscrab posted:

First word out of his mouth: WELP. I could not stop laughing. Also loving this little conversation between s one NWOTruthChannel and the video uploader, ProConstitutioner.

I believe his comment about stocking up on 'Guns N Ammo' was actually about buying CDs of my Guns 'N Roses cover band

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

skaboomizzy posted:

There was an NPR bit a week ago or so where they stated that the NRA sees video games as a threat because kids are more interested in them than BB guns and later real guns. So yeah.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

nm posted:

There was an NPR bit a week ago or so where they stated that the NRA sees video games as a threat because kids are more interested in them than BB guns and later real guns. So yeah.

Seeing as how the NRA is made up primarily of gun manufactures this doesn't surprise me.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I was driving around listening to Rush (because I loathe "you bet your garden") and he was talking about how low information voters are keeping gossip rags in print.

Hearing him prattle on about Victoria Beckhams $500 pajamas David bought her for Christmas, or Chris Brown being in an Amsterdam Coffe shop with THREE JOINTS OF MARIJUANA in his mouth, and Tim Tebow dumping his girlfriend made my day.

Each snippet story was prefaced with," low information voters care about this information folks, I know because I went to their website and this is what the left is talking about. " :bahgawd:

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

Nope, those are American Soldiers and deserve our respect. And CoD could never lead to a civilian massacre, as you are fighting foreigners.

Well there was that one mission in the airport