Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Flow also has predictive typing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On the 4.2 keyboard I was texting someone about Rush (the band, La Villa Strangiato man!) and it thought my next word should be Limbaugh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guilty posted:

Flow also has predictive typing

Yeah, I've been using Flow...except I never flow. Tap typing is just so much faster for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flow is the worst swiping keyboard. I know it's just the first beta but it's just so obvious the developers have no idea how Swype users use Swype. Why would you need a way to correct words after the fact? Why would you need a way to differentiate between "to" and "too"? Why would you want multiple suggestions for swiped words?

It's exactly the Swype someone who has no interest in swiping would create.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Flow is the worst swiping keyboard. I know it's just the first beta but it's just so obvious the developers have no idea how Swype users use Swype. Why would you need a way to correct words after the fact? Why would you need a way to differentiate between "to" and "too"? Why would you want multiple suggestions for swiped words?

It's exactly the Swype someone who has no interest in swiping would create.
Is Flow the only one of the "swipe-style" keyboards that lets you move over the space bar to start a new word? I was perfectly content with JB's default keyboard and its swiping capabilities until I tried out Flow. I realized that the ability to use space mid-swipe was ingenious and wondered why no one else had thought to implement such a feature. I'm pretty new to swipe keyboards, however, so I'm not really sure what other options I have.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

To me, the 4.2 keyboard is the best swiping keyboard I've used.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does anyone use the hover word thing on 4.2? I turned it off because I honestly can't see the point - when you finish swiping the word it's either right or it isn't, and the predicted word changes so much during the swipe that you can't tell if you've done something that will end up wrong, so even if you're slow it doesn't seem to give you any useful information. I'm just confused about what it's even for

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

To me, the 4.2 keyboard is the best swiping keyboard I've used.

Me as well. I can't get used to Swype, Swift or Swift Flow. I keep coming back to stock.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Me as well. I can't get used to Swype, Swift or Swift Flow. I keep coming back to stock.

I still use it on my Nexus S as I wait for the Nexus 4. It's REALLY fun to use and, while I've used Swype, and SK Flow, and dabbled with Swift normal too, I just can't let the 4.2 keyboard go.

I also can't go back to 4.1 keyboard. :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Does anyone use the hover word thing on 4.2? I turned it off because I honestly can't see the point - when you finish swiping the word it's either right or it isn't, and the predicted word changes so much during the swipe that you can't tell if you've done something that will end up wrong, so even if you're slow it doesn't seem to give you any useful information. I'm just confused about what it's even for
Easily my favorite part of the 4.2 keyboard as it means I don't have to look at the suggestion bar before moving on to the next word. It allows you me to skip having to proofread before sending like is necessary with Swype. I really like Swype and the 4.2 keyboard both but each have annoyances.

Flow through the spacebar is nice, or it would be if the prediction engine wasn't such garbage.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Flow through the spacebar is nice, or it would be if the prediction engine wasn't such garbage.

It works really well for me most of the time, anyway. Have you tried switching typing modes at all (from fast to precise, or whatever they're called)?

It does gently caress up occasionally, but I'm usually careful with it and it works great. I'll usually swipe out 4-5 words at a time with no problems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Easily my favorite part of the 4.2 keyboard as it means I don't have to look at the suggestion bar before moving on to the next word. It allows you me to skip having to proofread before sending like is necessary with Swype. I really like Swype and the 4.2 keyboard both but each have annoyances.

But unless you're constantly following your finger you still have to look somewhere when you're done, right? And the suggestion bar tells you if a correct alternative is available if the main suggestion is wrong. If I'm looking at the keyboard at all I'm looking where my finger's going to go next, not where it is now, and the hover box just gets in the way.

I mean it obviously works for you do maybe it's a good feature to have - maybe I'll try staring at it and see if it clicks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sirbeefalot posted:

It works really well for me most of the time, anyway. Have you tried switching typing modes at all (from fast to precise, or whatever they're called)?

It does gently caress up occasionally, but I'm usually careful with it and it works great. I'll usually swipe out 4-5 words at a time with no problems.

This. I myself haven't tried switching it out of precise (since that's what I had SwiftKey 3 in), and I can usually get about that out of each swipe, unless I need punctuation. Don't try a longer phrase or sentence, though. After 3-5 words it usually gets confused and won't let you put in any of what you've swiped.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I'll try it again once the next beta comes out but without a way to go back and correct words after the fact it's just not worth investing time into getting it to work.

baka kaba posted:

But unless you're constantly following your finger you still have to look somewhere when you're done, right? And the suggestion bar tells you if a correct alternative is available if the main suggestion is wrong. If I'm looking at the keyboard at all I'm looking where my finger's going to go next, not where it is now, and the hover box just gets in the way.

I mean it obviously works for you do maybe it's a good feature to have - maybe I'll try staring at it and see if it clicks
That's the beauty of it, if I'm following my finger to make sure it's coming out right (since that where it's telling you what you've typed) I'm also being more careful about my swiping making the need to go to the suggestion bar that much less.

I thought it was a stupid idea when I heard it too but in practice I found it to be very effective in improving my swiping.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I'll try it again once the next beta comes out but without a way to go back and correct words after the fact it's just not worth investing time into getting it to work.

You can correct words; you just have to very carefully get the cursor to the end of the word (if you try to correct a word from the middle of the word, it'll fix the word but leave everything that was right of the cursor) and hope that the word you wanted is one of the two other suggestions.

:doh:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can correct words; you just have to very carefully get the cursor to the end of the word (if you try to correct a word from the middle of the word, it'll fix the word but leave everything that was right of the cursor) and hope that the word you wanted is one of the two other suggestions.

:doh:

It's certainly not graceful, but I just correct them as I go. If a word comes up wrong, I tap delete to move back to it and the word I want is typically on of the other two options.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The main thing pissing me off about flow is the stupid notifications. Stop hassling me to leave feedback or share you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

It's certainly not graceful, but I just correct them as I go. If a word comes up wrong, I tap delete to move back to it and the word I want is typically on of the other two options.
Unfortunately the entire speed benefit of a swiping keyboard comes from not having to stop to correct things as you go. Like I said, it's a swiping keyboard built by someone who has no idea how a swipe keyboard is used.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mega Comrade posted:

The main thing pissing me off about flow is the stupid notifications. Stop hassling me to leave feedback or share you.

Huh? I've never gotten a notification and I've been using it since it came out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

hooah posted:

Huh? I've never gotten a notification and I've been using it since it came out.

I've gotten like four and I've only had it a week

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
is there anyway to only show/search contacts that I want? I have everything unchecked across about 3 accounts but when I search in my contacts list it will still list contacts from those accounts. I just want to be able to search a specific account only and not the thousands of other contacts I have across other accounts.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah, Swype apparently forgot my username and locked me out and I haven't taken the time to make a new username, so in the meantime I've been using Flow, and it's..... awful. All the criticisms LastInLine makes are spot on - it's just a chore to use. The predictive stuff sucks, it requires tons of hassle to go back and correct words, the retroactive corrections aren't based on the actual shape of your swipe, but instead just on whatever final word SK churned out as its best guess.

To add to the problems, it only allows 2 corrections instead of something like 10 like Swype does, and in order to correct previous words you have to get your cursor after the last letter in the word, or else it completely funks with your sentence. I still have no idea why it works like this, because even in the context of tap typing (which, granted, SK does extremely well, far better than any other keyboard I've used) it doesn't make any sense. But really what it all boils down to is the fact that its best guess from a swipe is just bad. It gets completely nonsense out of perfectly reasonable swipes constantly, making me go back and correct so much more than i ever had to with Swype.

It really does feel like a swipe keyboard made by people who doesn't understand how a swipe keyboard should be different from tap typing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

It corrects based on the shape of the swipe, but only if it was your last word entered. I've honestly found it a lot better to use than Swype or the 4.2 keyboard, but mainly due to the easier-to-access punctuation that lowering the hold-for-alternatives time has granted.

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
I'm really loving the updates to the android operating system. With each update it gets better and better, and even tiny changes (like shrinking the pin login buttons) make a big difference to user friendliness.
But sometimes I wish they'd just sit down with someone who has never used android before and watch them try it out, and see what works and what doesn't, because imho the user shouldn't have to "learn the phone" any more than is absolutely necessary.

On that note, I can't for the life of me find the "block contact" feature in the native phone book. I've been getting spam text messages, and I want to block them.
A Google search suggests it's possible with a long press but it doesn't work for me; is this a feature which was removed in jellybean?

Is there a replacement text message app that does this which has the tick of approval? I'm happy to pay for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Propaganda Panda posted:

I'm really loving the updates to the android operating system. With each update it gets better and better, and even tiny changes (like shrinking the pin login buttons) make a big difference to user friendliness.
But sometimes I wish they'd just sit down with someone who has never used android before and watch them try it out, and see what works and what doesn't, because imho the user shouldn't have to "learn the phone" any more than is absolutely necessary.

On that note, I can't for the life of me find the "block contact" feature in the native phone book. I've been getting spam text messages, and I want to block them.
A Google search suggests it's possible with a long press but it doesn't work for me; is this a feature which was removed in jellybean?

Is there a replacement text message app that does this which has the tick of approval? I'm happy to pay for it.

Hmmm that's weird, I'm not seeing the option on my Galaxy S3, but it's there on my Evo. :(

I know you can still do it through Google Voice (I have a "group" set up that is Spam numbers), but you used to be able to do it right in the dialer. :(

*Edit* Looks like with the Galaxy S3 you have to create a list and add numbers to it.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 23, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Propaganda Panda posted:

I didn't know blocking a contact was ever a feature of the stock phone app. My wife has been using this since she got her phone since whomever had her phone number prior to her was not the type to pay bills on time and has been generally happy with it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mega Comrade posted:

Go to the advanced settings, scroll down and uncheck "show tips and statistics". No more notifications from swiftkey.

E: sorry, "tips & achievements".

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Got a new Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1". I installed android 4.1.1, and the newest YouTube app. For some reason, I can't get videos to load either in the app or the installed web browser. Tried uninstalling YouTube and reinstalling. No luck. Anyone have any advice?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I like Age of Empires and Civilization. Can someone recommend some Android games I'll like? The Play store (in Korea, anyways), doesn't even have a "Strategy" category!

e: Don't enjoy Tower Defence games.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

THE LUMMOX posted:

I like Age of Empires and Civilization. Can someone recommend some Android games I'll like? The Play store (in Korea, anyways), doesn't even have a "Strategy" category!

e: Don't enjoy Tower Defence games.

There's an android game thread.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

hooah posted:

There's an android game thread.

Woops sorry about that! Thanks.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I used Shazam on my old phone way back when they offerred unlimited tagging and was grandfathered into it somehow. I seem to recall that when I moved from my Evo 4G to the Evo 3D, that status went with me, making me assume it was tied to my Google Account or something. But when I installed it on my S3, it's treating me like I'm an entirely new user. Am I missing something here?

Related:
I can't seem to figure out how to get Titanium Backup to read any of the backups from my SD card. I understand that not everything will restore when moving from one device to another, but it doesn't look like it sees anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, or if there's an added step I'm missing, or what's going on... any suggestions? (This may be a better question for the root thread)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Soundhound is way better than shazam, you could just use that instead.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Or you can just ask google "what song is this" (one of the latest google search / google now updates added this feature)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Soundhound is way better than shazam, you could just use that instead.

I actually tried Soundhound a while back and didn't really like it. Shazam always worked better for me, and I liked the simple interface.

I forgot about the Google Search update, but that's much less convenient because then I have to actually talk to my phone and hope it understands me correctly rather than just hit a button. Unless there's a way to turn that into a widget.. I just looked through my list of widgets and didn't see anything for it.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. It's a separate download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.ears

brc64 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 24, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
You can download a widget called "Sound Search for Google Play."

It may only show stuff that's in the play store. I haven't tried it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

brc64 posted:

I actually tried Soundhound a while back and didn't really like it. Shazam always worked better for me, and I liked the simple interface.

Soundhound is literally one big button that listens, and it picks things up MUCH better and more accurately. You can even hum/sing to it yourself and it'll figure out songs. I've got a soundhound widget on my desktop that takes me right to 'listen' mode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It may only show stuff that's in the play store. I haven't tried it.
That's correct.

brc64 posted:

I can't seem to figure out how to get Titanium Backup to read any of the backups from my SD card.
It's looking for the backups in your internal storage, not on the SD card.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

That's correct.
It's looking for the backups in your internal storage, not on the SD card.

I couldn't figure out how to point it to the sdcard. Tried copying the folder from the sdcard to the same location in internal storage, but that didn't work either.

Installed the Google widget, but it seemed to be unable to recognize anything, and the sound wave it displays always looks the same, so not sure what's going on there.

I'll give Soundhound another look. Last time I used it, it wouldn't pick up things that Shazam did, and there was something else about it that I didn't like. Can't remember what.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
In Titanium Backup, you can change the backup location to the SD card under Preferences>Backup Location. If you already have a folder with backups in it on the SD card, you can hit Detect and it should list all the locations with TiBackup data.

• Locked thread